How to make a Game Over screen?

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Torri 800
Spoken languages: English

How to make a Game Over screen?

Post by Torri 800 »

One day you're writing a case, marveling over your work. Then comes the thought to your head: I know what's the correct evidence to present, but people who will play my case, some of them won't. And they mess up, the :judge: penalizes them, and they find themselves in a Game Over tab but without any dialogue, due to the linear nature of the engine.

The gavel clamps...
:judge: : (That's enough! This court sees no reason to continue the trial. Nor is there any need for more time to decide the case against the defendant. This case is extremely clear. I see no room for misinterpretation of the facts. This court finds the defendant... GUILTY! ....... The accused will surrender to the court immediately, to be held pending trial at a higher court within a month from today's date. That is all. The court is adjourned!)

The moment the gavel calls for that emotional court door closing, signifying that you have lost...

Is there any way to replicate that? In which a condition exists regarding having 0 health, which would lead to a game over scene?

Thanks for your help!
123fendas
Spoken languages: Svenska, English

Re: How to make a Game Over screen?

Post by 123fendas »

Yes, of course, and the engine isn't really linear. You know you can use "Proceed to another frame", right?

Anyway, for a game over scene, you use "Set the 'Game Over' redirection".

Set the Target frame #ID to the frame where the player shall end up upon being penalized to 0.
Spocker
Spoken languages: Français, English

Post by Spocker »

Hi there !
Dear all, I was looking for an answer on the same topic so I ended here, because I don't want to pollute with another little topic the forum. (Sorry by advance for the possible mistakes in my writing English)
I already did a French trial and made some 'Game Over', but I wasn't sure of something and I'm sure I complicated my smooth script ^^

1/When you choose "Set the Game Over redirection", does this action apply to every game over situation after it ? I mean, each time a player loose AFTER I set the Game Over redirection, he will be redirected ?
Even if I set the 'Game Over' redirection on frame 1 (over 5000), for instance ?
2/And if I want to change it, I just set another one (said on frame 2000), and it will overwrite the first one ?

Thank you for your explanations !
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Spocker wrote:Hi there !
Dear all, I was looking for an answer on the same topic so I ended here, because I don't want to pollute with another little topic the forum. (Sorry by advance for the possible mistakes in my writing English)
I already did a French trial and made some 'Game Over', but I wasn't sure of something and I'm sure I complicated my smooth script ^^

1/When you choose "Set the Game Over redirection", does this action apply to every game over situation after it ? I mean, each time a player loose AFTER I set the Game Over redirection, he will be redirected ?
Even if I set the 'Game Over' redirection on frame 1 (over 5000), for instance ?
2/And if I want to change it, I just set another one (said on frame 2000), and it will overwrite the first one ?

Thank you for your explanations !
I believe the answers to your questions are yes.
There's one Game Over redirection that is always active from the moment you set it forward. The only thing you can do from there on is overwrite it.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Spocker
Spoken languages: Français, English

Post by Spocker »

Perfect ! Asking my question also made my ideas more clear about it. Thanks again.