What are the rules for using curse words

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

PhilipHuffsmore
Spoken languages: English

What are the rules for using curse words

Post by PhilipHuffsmore »

I was hoping to make a case in which the characters make liberal use of foul language

I looked at answered questions and someone did ask before (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1505) but they were specifically talking about very minor curses such as 'hell' or 'damn' but I wanted my characters to drop C and F bombs at eachother. Nothing sexual or anything, just very very sweary in a comedic way.

In the registration it says not to post "...obcene, vulgur..." material, but that seems vague and I'm not sure if it refers to the games or just the forum.

If I made it so the first thing that appears in the game is a warning about the frequent explicit language and that it's for 18+ only would that be acceptable?

If not does anyone know the hard & fast rules about what curses are and aren't acceptable?

Thanks
123fendas
Spoken languages: Svenska, English

Re: What are the rules for using curse words

Post by 123fendas »

There are case rules in the "News and Announcements" forum.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3737
You must not use swear words.
You may use "light" swear words, but you should not overuse them.
The bombs you are talking about are not considered "light" swear words, so no, it's not allowed.
PhilipHuffsmore wrote:If I made it so the first thing that appears in the game is a warning about the frequent explicit language and that it's for 18+ only would that be acceptable?
No.
PhilipHuffsmore wrote:does anyone know the hard & fast rules about what curses are and aren't acceptable?
There are none; the rules are vague.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: What are the rules for using curse words

Post by Enthalpy »

Hi, I'm the guy in charge of day-to-day operations for the website. Here's the answer from moderation:

The rule against "obscene, vulgar" material applies both to content (images, posts) posted on the AAO forums and anything made in the AAO casemaker.

As for what exactly counts... There are no hard and fast rules because circumstance is so important. Moderation can on rare occasion provide an exception to a rule if we deem it appropriate and an author provides a warning. Just in the last couple of months, we let Xak post "Turnabout of the Golden Witch," which does have some swearing in it! However, when an exception is warranted is a judgment call, and a comprehensive list of factors we consider and how important they are would not be comprehensive. For instance, Xak's case is a crossover with another series where swearing is much more liberal, and he originally didn't intend to showcase it on AAO... Both of those facts mattered, but I wouldn't have thought of them as possible grounds for an exception out of context.

Especially as a new author, the following five rules of thumb should be helpful:

1. "Minor swears" like the two examples you gave are non-issues.
2. The two "bomb" examples you gave will almost always be issues, as will anything else sexual or slurs.
3. The canon AA games use some "medium" swears when the situation calls for it. Think Shi-Long Lang's "You bastard!" from AAI. You're free to do this as well.
4. We may ask for "excessive"/gratuitous swearing to be toned down. Again, "excessive" is a judgment call.
5. Exceptions are exceptional, so don't count on them. If you really think one is warranted, please send me a PM.

What you're describing runs aground of (2) and (4), so don't expect to post that on AAO, even with a warning.

I'll add that I've seen a lot of trials in my time here that try to be "very very sweary in a comedic way". Those trials tend to not be very funny. Will using swears for good humor be more likely to get an exception? Yes. Is that likely to happen? Not at all.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson