Help with investigation conversation in detention center

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

GabbiTheAlicorn
Spoken languages: English

Help with investigation conversation in detention center

Post by GabbiTheAlicorn »

So I have a few questions on making an investigation conversation in the detention center.

1. So you know how sometimes you have to present something to get a character to talk about a certain topic? How exactly do you do that? 'Cause how it's working for me now is that the talk topic gets hidden and you exit the conversation, but you just present things (in this case-no pun intended-it's a profile you need to present) like normal.

2. So while the player is having a discussion with this character, their sprite changes from the one they had when you entered the detention center. However, when you exit the conversation after the topic gets locked, the sprite changes back to normal. How do I make it so that the sprite stays the way it was until after you get the conversation unlocked?

3. How do you change the default sprite look when you're investigating in the detention center? I set it up so long ago that I forget how it works.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, but I'm just really confused.
If I’m wrong, don’t get mad. I’m just a girl trying to figure out life and be lazy while doing it. So far, it’s not working.

I love music and being online too much.

Find me on AO3!

EmoNerd21 on Reddit

:fran: :maya: :ron: :D
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Help with investigation conversation in detention center

Post by Enthalpy »

1. Use the action "Reveal a talk topic" under "Edit the game environment". Did you look at the available actions in the action editor?
2. There isn't a simple way to accomplish this in AAO, sorry. There is one way to accomplish this, but it requires some advanced uses of actions, and I don't recommend it for you.
3. Dialogue -> Open -> Settings -> Main Frame Screen Editor. Have you seen this tutorial?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
GabbiTheAlicorn

1. Can you be more specific? Sorry-I'm kind of a beginner with this program.
2. Ah, I see. In that case...
3. Thanks!
If I’m wrong, don’t get mad. I’m just a girl trying to figure out life and be lazy while doing it. So far, it’s not working.

Find me on AO3!

EmoNerd21 on Reddit

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Section III of the tutorial I linked explains the action editor. You need to use the "Reveal a talk topic" option during the present conversation that should reveal the talk topic.

If you need be to more specific, please specify what you need more specifics about. Do you need me to give details on how you access the action editor, how to get to the "reveal a talk topic" option from the action editor, what options to select?

If you haven't read that tutorial before, I strongly recommend you give it a read for a good overview of what AAO is capable of. You don't have to understand everything at once! Get a general feel for things on your first read, and use it as a reference when you need to learn how something is done.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
GabbiTheAlicorn

Sorry if I'm being too vague-I'm just not sure how to explain it. But based on what you've told me and showed me, I think TECHNICALLY I've got it right-I just need to test it again to make sure.

But another question just sprung to mind: when you write out a conversation about a topic that ends in hiding said topic, how do you make it so that you can add on more conversation AFTER said topic has been revealed? Again, sorry if I'm confusing you-I'm bad at explaining things.

Find me on AO3!

EmoNerd21 on Reddit

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

When you say "add on more conversation," do you mean add dialogue to the talk conversation that wasn't originally present? Do you mean adding another talk conversation?
GabbiTheAlicorn

What I mean is that, when you first try to talk to someone, there is some dialogue before the topic gets locked. After you unlock it, there's dialogue following. This is what I'm talking about. Man, I wish I was better at explaining things...

Find me on AO3!

EmoNerd21 on Reddit

AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

When you say locked, I assume you mean psyche-locked? The way most people accomplish this is by having two dialogues with the same name, and once the player successfully opens the locks, you use the same action as before (Reveal a Talk Topic) to make the new one shown and use Hide a Talk Topic to make the old one go away.
123fendas
Spoken languages: Svenska, English

Post by 123fendas »

Or you can just use a variable.

do an evaluate conditions to redirect the player

if x = 1, then go to the added dialogue

if failure frame, then go to the locked version of the dialogue
GabbiTheAlicorn

That might work, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Find me on AO3!

EmoNerd21 on Reddit

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Are you talking to fendas or to AceAttorneyMaster? I'm also not sure if you're talking about the introduction conversation that runs the first time you enter a location, hiding talk dialogues, talk dialogues changing due to psyche-locks, or something else. Could you explain what you mean by "the topic gets locked"...?
GabbiTheAlicorn

1. I was talking to fendas. Sorry-that must've been confusing.
2. Is there a way for me to show you my game, even though I haven't published it yet? Maybe if I do that, it will be easier for you to get a sense of what I'm talking about.

Find me on AO3!

EmoNerd21 on Reddit

AceAttorneyMaster111

Enthalpy is an admin, they can view any trial regardless of whether it's published or unpublished. If you send the trial id (the 5 or 6 numbers in the URL of the editor) Enthalpy can take a look, or if you add me as a collaborator, I can too.
GabbiTheAlicorn

By "5 or 6 numbers", I assume you mean the last 5 or 6 numbers in the URL. Right?

Find me on AO3!

EmoNerd21 on Reddit

AceAttorneyMaster111

Yes.