Adding info to an already revealed profile/evidence

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

GabbiTheAlicorn
Spoken languages: English

Adding info to an already revealed profile/evidence

Post by GabbiTheAlicorn »

I think it might've been mentioned somewhere (can't remember where, though), but how do you add more information to a profile or piece of evidence that is already in the Court Record? Or is that not possible?
If I’m wrong, don’t get mad. I’m just a girl trying to figure out life and be lazy while doing it. So far, it’s not working.

I love music and being online too much.

Find me on AO3!

EmoNerd21 on Reddit

:fran: :maya: :ron: :D
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Adding info to an already revealed profile/evidence

Post by Enthalpy »

Not possible. The trick is to instead have two versions of the profile/evidence. When it's time to update it, hide one piece and reveal the other using the actions in the Action Editor. See the tutorial I linked in your last topic for more information about those actions.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
GabbiTheAlicorn

Ah, I thought so, but I was unsure if there was a different way. Thanks!
If I’m wrong, don’t get mad. I’m just a girl trying to figure out life and be lazy while doing it. So far, it’s not working.

Find me on AO3!

EmoNerd21 on Reddit

GabbiTheAlicorn

Also, sort of (but not really) related: is there a way to copy profiles or pieces of evidence?

Find me on AO3!

EmoNerd21 on Reddit

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Regarding "updating" pieces of evidence, it's a design choice not to support it.
When you "update" a piece of evidence, you are changing the information that it contains, and therefore, it should not contradict the exact same statements, etc. Therefore, from a game structure point of view; it's actually a different piece of evidence, with its own ID and so on.

That's why the solution is to create a new piece of evidence.
However, indeed, we are missing an option to quickly duplicate a piece of evidence to handle this use case. It would be a handy (and quite simple) feature to add, if Enthalpy or ThePasch - or any other developer that feels like contributing - wants to make it.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GabbiTheAlicorn

Yeah, I think the ability to duplicate profiles and pieces of evidence should be added. Judging from what I've done so far, creating different versions of the same profile or piece of evidence is a very tedious process.

Find me on AO3!

EmoNerd21 on Reddit

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I would think that duplicating a profile/evidence would be a fairly short copy-paste job?

Nonetheless, Unas is right that it would be a simple change. It'd be a good starter project if we get a volunteer, but I'll try to get it in for the next release cycle regardless.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson