Help! Issues Evaluating Conditions to Redirect Player

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

ikuzonos
Spoken languages: English, limited French

Help! Issues Evaluating Conditions to Redirect Player

Post by ikuzonos »

Hello there. Trying to include as much information as possible because I don't understand what specifically went wrong here. Case is a little broken right now.

I added the action "evaluate conditions to redirect player" to each applicable area, with the following code

Code: Select all

'f:evidence_is_revealed(\'\'profil\'\',2) & f:evidence_is_revealed(\'\'profil\'\',3) & f:evidence_is_revealed(\'\'profil\'\',4) & f:evidence_is_revealed(\'\'profil\'\',5) & f:evidence_is_revealed(\'\'preuve\'\',3) & f:evidence_is_revealed(\'\'preuve\'\',5) & f:evidence_is_revealed(\'\'preuve\'\',7) & f:evidence_is_revealed(\'\'preuve’’,9) & f:evidence_is_revealed(\'\'preuve",10)'
The target frame is 469, failure frame changes on the area.

Initially, I used the code

Code: Select all

f:evidence_is_revealed(''profil'',2) & f:evidence_is_revealed(''profil'',3) & f:evidence_is_revealed(''profil'',4) & f:evidence_is_revealed(''profil'',5) & f:evidence_is_revealed(''preuve'',3) & f:evidence_is_revealed(''preuve'',5) & f:evidence_is_revealed(''preuve'',7) & f:evidence_is_revealed(''preuve’’,9) & f:evidence_is_revealed(''preuve",10)
But the inside of the box was pink/not working; when I selected "load from runtime expression", the first set of code (with the slashes) appeared automatically and the inside of the box turned white/functional.

With these actions added, the case suddenly stops running properly. Were I to remove the frames/action, I'm pretty sure it'd go back to normal, but then I can't redirect the player (obviously) and can't continue.

Here's what happens when hitting any evaluate conditions frame https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... .11_PM.png
It just stays on the frame. No amount of touching the button does anything.

I've read the v6 variable guide and every topic I could find in the forums with a similar problem. Not sure where even to start fixing this issue and I'd rather not give up on this case, because I won't learn otherwise. Thank you in advance.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Help! Issues Evaluating Conditions to Redirect Player

Post by Enthalpy »

Let me know if you think any of this would be useful to put in the variable guide.

1. Your initial attempt at running this code was almost correct. Anytime you have double quotes, you must replace them with a single quote mark. Do not use double quotes.
2. There's no need to check "load from runtime expression" here. The game player already knows to expect an expression there.
3. The red/pink color of the text box should be ignored. While AAO is making an attempt to validate what you're putting in, it is not smart enough to know that the rules for what expressions are valid change for fields (like this one) where it is already expecting an expression.

Let me know whether that fixes your problem.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
ikuzonos

Post by ikuzonos »

Enthalpy wrote:Let me know if you think any of this would be useful to put in the variable guide.

1. Your initial attempt at running this code was almost correct. Anytime you have double quotes, you must replace them with a single quote mark. Do not use double quotes.
2. There's no need to check "load from runtime expression" here. The game player already knows to expect an expression there.
3. The red/pink color of the text box should be ignored. While AAO is making an attempt to validate what you're putting in, it is not smart enough to know that the rules for what expressions are valid change for fields (like this one) where it is already expecting an expression.

Let me know whether that fixes your problem.
I replaced all the double quotes with single quotes like you said (I do think that would be helpful to have in the guide), but when attempting to run the case again, the same issue with the player freezing on a frame used to evaluate conditions occurs.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Having peeked at your trial in the editor again, there's one other suspicious thing I notice: you don't have an evidence ID 10, but you're checking that it's revealed. That's known to cause crashes exactly like this.

I really need to fix that one.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
ikuzonos

Post by ikuzonos »

I actually do have an evidence ID 10 (Unless I'm misunderstanding the IDs, which is possible), but you mentioning that did make me realize that I actually needed to account for ID 6, not 10. Unfortunately, even after fixing that, the problem is still persisting.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

That's what happens when I try to go bug-hunting at that time of night.

Next suspicious thing: The very last single quote isn't correct. You use ’ when you need to use '. Does correcting that fix it?
ikuzonos

Post by ikuzonos »

Yes, that did it! Thank you so much for your patience through this; I really appreciate it.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Glad to hear it!

Any other questions belong in a separate topic, so I'm going to lock this one now. (There's nothing wrong with the topic, this is just part of organization.)