Singidava's Art Thread

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Re: Singidava's Art Thread

Post by Mono »

Ooh that looks nice. I like the design and the coloring :D
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

As said, I finally have time to draw from my usually oh so busy schedule. So I could start re-doing those background requests (I had no back-ups when my computer broke... -_-). This one is Enigma's. If there's anything I should change just inform me. Since the request changed a bit when we discussed on xat it might very well be that I forgot something.
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Post by Mimi »

those colors... are... AH-MAH-ZING. And perfect. *gushes*
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

I was drawing this Eclipse Hunter fanart but at some point I noticed that I kept failing at coloring. It ended up looking so... dull. That's why I'm asking for your help~

I'd like to get feedback on the coloring. Is there any way for me to improve them? Make them seem more professional..?
Spoiler : The moe-est cyborg ever :
Hodou Okappa
Spoken languages: English

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Reposted from the xat:

The hair could be a lighter shade of blue / gray. The clothes could also be a brighter / more vibrant red.
The right hand looks disjointed and has weird shading.
The left hand is too big, though posed better.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Hey.
Singidava wrote:I'd like to get feedback on the coloring. Is there any way for me to improve them? Make them seem more professional..?
Spoiler : :
Firstly, what is/are your light source/s? It looks like you are trying to use three. The image lacks clarity because there are no light source/s defined.

Here is the original image converted to grayscale.

The clothes look like they blend into one another. The region in the histogram circled here would be the values of the clothes. There isn't much variation. That's why it looks dull.

Here is an edited version of the image.

The circled area is just the other circled area made wider by altering the Levels - that's why there are gaps, so ignore those. Along with increasing the contrast between the darkest colour of the clothes and the lighter colour, the difference between the darkest value of shading in the clothes and the lightest is now closer to the difference in the skin and hair. (Closer, not matching, since I'm not quite sure about relative contrasts yet.) I would lighten the background so that the spike in the histogram is to the right some more, which will give more room for the values in the clothes.

Onto other feedback, the colour bleeding doesn't make much sense because there is no blue light on the clothes (where is it coming from?) and no reflection of the red on skin or silver when there's so much colour bleeding into the background. The eyes are also lacking shadow and the frames of the glasses are shaded in a way that makes them look round instead of with flat edges.

The hands are alright, I have more issue with the face. The skull looks large and round at the top before pointing sharply due to the shading, because the same shade is used for below the chin as well as under the glasses and to the side of the cheeks. The shadow below the chin would typically be darker (depends on light sources). Like this it's strange.
Most conversions of anime art to 3D have the skull be flatter at the face (See the shading in the face here). It looks like there's one or two main light source/s there. Note how any shadows between facial features use lighter shades compared to the rest. It all depends on how you want to render the skull.
Hope this is what you were looking for.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

Hm... I don't think the two differently-coloured areas are different clothes, but the same jacket with a darker section along the opening. If you look at it that way, it doesn't really look like they're blending with one another, since there is only one element.

Then again, if they are different clothes, then we do have a problem ^^"
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Danielinhoni wrote:Hm... I don't think the two differently-coloured areas are different clothes, but the same jacket with a darker section along the opening.
Oh. That makes a lot of sense. Heh, I'd been looking only at the shading instead of the lineart and the different strokes at the hips threw me off. Sorry, my bad. :/

In that case, ignore everything about increasing contrast between the two colours, but increasing contrast between the base colour and the shading colour still applies.
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

En-chan for the best magical boy!

Disclaimer: This oden contains chikuwabu.
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

Well, well... There are so many drawings I've done but aren't in this thread... Let me add a few.

Alnar
Spoken languages: ??????

Post by Alnar »

I've always found your spriting style unique. Back then I'd see a sprite in the randoms and think "Oh, Singi made this."

It's quite interesting to see that you can identify the artist of nearly every sprite in the arts section based on the style alone. You could say it kind of creates an "identity" for you.

The deeper stuff aside, greetings from Xat. (If it hasn't been said enough, your art's great! I especially like the random character up there. I'm no expert artist or critic, but the colors look amazing for me!)
DeeYo
Spoken languages: Hungarian, English, some Russian, Spanish, German

Post by DeeYo »

THIS IS TERRIBLE WHY DO PEOPLE NOT HAVE FINGERNAILS

everything else is great

Total times sued: 10328
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

I think the last one is neat. The colours are pleasant and it's drawn cool.
Spoiler : Technical comments (ignore if don't care) :
Breasts are consistently high, they should grow out and hang from pectorals and not the base of the collarbone.

I really do like the last one a lot, it's not an easy pose, but she has no neck...do you mind if I try a redline on the anatomy?
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

mercurialSK wrote:Breasts are consistently high, they should grow out and hang from pectorals and not the base of the collarbone.

I really do like the last one a lot, it's not an easy pose, but she has no neck...do you mind if I try a redline on the anatomy?
Constructive criticism, yay~!

...Clearly all of them just have breast implants and are wearing push-up bra! D: <

Just kidding~ I must admit since I usually draw my characters with less open necklines I suck at drawing breasts, especially if they're big. Thus, I've been traning to draw more fanservicy images lately. I have a problem though... If you want to draw fanservice, you need cleavage, but the only way to make that realistically happen would be to give everyone a push-up bra... I assume that's why I end up drawing them too high? Well, I guess I just need more practice...! Speaking of which:

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac30 ... tj9xck.png
(No nipples = PG-13... right? :3 )
(EDIT: Apparently not. Switched the image to a link. :/)

Hm, I wonder if they're still too high. Clearly I need to draw more naked women.

As for the neck part, I feel like if I had moved the head a bit up so some neck would be visible, the pose would have ended up looking too painful... The angle is supposed to be from above so the head is supposed to hide the neck under it, but I guess I should have drawn less of the torso from the front to make it more evident? Argh, how come all my problems can be tracked down to breasts!? D:
Last edited by Singidava on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Singidava wrote:The angle is supposed to be from above so the head is supposed to hide the neck under it
I...thought she was lying down. Judging by the clothes. It's weird.

I figured out what it was after trying a few things out, first row is me attempting to work out a way for the pose to work after I tried to draw the side view and realised I could not draw both arms stretched above her head. (Too much second-hand pain added to the broken spine XD) And I attempted some kind of "fix" in some perspective, but that's mostly guesswork because I haven't studied foreshortening that extreme. I realised it was really hard to get the fanservice thing you were after because the angle was too extreme, so then I tried simplifying things in the second row. idk if you wanted this, but now you get it anyway XD

The new pic you posted is really nice, I like the arms and the general proportions, but the head is lopsided and one leg is longer than the other. Also those breasts are very anime...it's not an issue of high or anything but more like an invisible bra is involved and maybe implants or something, if you were going for realism that's not how they work. They're coming directly out of the chest like they're supported in the middle when they should be more like suspended from the top.