Dave's art center(Requests OFF)

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Twilight Wright
Spoken languages: English

Re: Dave's art center(Requests ON)

Post by Twilight Wright »

I didn't think so, but it was a good try.

Do you know anyone who would actually do something like this? (I'm reeeeallly desperate.)
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Nope, I don't. You could try on requests threads, or on CR, but I got no clue yo.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

For a request like that, it'd be simpler to take up spriting yourself.
lazyplague

Re: Dave's art center(Requests OFF)

Post by lazyplague »

Despite having requests to do, I got the itch to do something BIG, so here ya go.

This is one of my RP characters, Flynn Reynolds, a lazy, yet effective bounty hunter.

There's undoubtedly something wrong with the sprite, but tbh, this is probably my best scratch sprite. xP
~Dataman~
Spoken languages: English and finnish.

Post by ~Dataman~ »

His wrist appears quite thin, and looks like it's only getting thinner. The elbow could have some work, since the hand now looks too short compared to the other one.
My DeviantArt My Youtube Channel
Anime is awesome! Watch my Anime Sword Techniques series in my Youtube channel! Currently I have covered Gatotsu, Yontoryu, Santoryu, Hiten Mitsurugi, Seven Swords Dance, Wattoujutsu, Scissorblade, Kamiya Kasshin and more is coming! :)

My Art Thread
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Dave wrote:Despite having requests to do, I got the itch to do something BIG, so here ya go.

Yeah, requests can get... boring? Not as interesting.

Looks good.
Spoiler : Critique if you want it (I hope you do, this is the third time I'm typing it because I keep losing it) :
There's some pure black in the sprite. I personally prefer to stay away from pure black (and by extension, pure white) because pure black is often too dark for a screen. And because AA sprites are on location backgrounds, and pure black doesn't usually exist in real life. It also tends to leech colour in a not very nice way.

The shading looks a bit like pillow shading. Only a small amount of the midtone shade is needed for anti-aliasing between the base colour and the shadow. I'm not very good at words so I tried making a graphic (borrowing Reynolds's tie).

The shading in the original is blurry, like the light is diffused, because of the thickness of the midtone. The shadow/highlight looks rounded instead of sharp, so it's kind of boring. Sharp shading makes a sprite look sharper. By using only two colours (the base and the shadow) the shading is suddenly clearer, but it's a bit too sharp. Anti-aliasing with the midtone at sharp points smooths this out while keeping clarity.

Note that diffusion is good for soft shadows like pillows (pillow shading, heh) or soft drapes of fabric. Or if his tie is the glossy kind. But it's much more interesting if it's kept to one edge instead of all of them. Have another graphic because I don't know how to explain.
On the left the light source is diffused and really soft, but on the right it's much clearer because of how the top edge is sharp and the way it blurs out on both sides makes it more interesting. The fabric now has some texture. Because there's no blending at the opening of the sleeve, the lack of smoothing makes the fabric seem thicker even without needing to touch the lineart.

Hope this makes sense. If this does, I'll probably make a colouring guide so I don't have to type it again.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
joeyhugg

Post by joeyhugg »

mercurialSK wrote:
Spoiler : Critique if you want it (I hope you do, this is the third time I'm typing it because I keep losing it) :
There's some pure black in the sprite. I personally prefer to stay away from pure black (and by extension, pure white) because pure black is often too dark for a screen. And because AA sprites are on location backgrounds, and pure black doesn't usually exist in real life. It also tends to leech colour in a not very nice way.

The shading looks a bit like pillow shading. Only a small amount of the midtone shade is needed for anti-aliasing between the base colour and the shadow. I'm not very good at words so I tried making a graphic (borrowing Reynolds's tie).

The shading in the original is blurry, like the light is diffused, because of the thickness of the midtone. The shadow/highlight looks rounded instead of sharp, so it's kind of boring. Sharp shading makes a sprite look sharper. By using only two colours (the base and the shadow) the shading is suddenly clearer, but it's a bit too sharp. Anti-aliasing with the midtone at sharp points smooths this out while keeping clarity.

Note that diffusion is good for soft shadows like pillows (pillow shading, heh) or soft drapes of fabric. Or if his tie is the glossy kind. But it's much more interesting if it's kept to one edge instead of all of them. Have another graphic because I don't know how to explain.
On the left the light source is diffused and really soft, but on the right it's much clearer because of how the top edge is sharp and the way it blurs out on both sides makes it more interesting. The fabric now has some texture. Because there's no blending at the opening of the sleeve, the lack of smoothing makes the fabric seem thicker even without needing to touch the lineart.

Hope this makes sense. If this does, I'll probably make a colouring guide so I don't have to type it again.
I would love a color guide. We need more guides on shading, my one weakness! I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to benefit!
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

mercurialSK wrote:
Dave wrote:Despite having requests to do, I got the itch to do something BIG, so here ya go.

Yeah, requests can get... boring? Not as interesting.

Looks good.

I think I get what you're saying, it's really helpful, since I struggle with shading (No artistic abilities whatsoever).

I'll try to apply the changes you suggested, and see where that gets me.

Also, thanks for pointing out the pure black, I missed that. xP
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

mercurialSK wrote:Note that diffusion is good for soft shadows like pillows (pillow shading, heh) or soft drapes of fabric. Or if his tie is the glossy kind. But it's much more interesting if it's kept to one edge instead of all of them. Have another graphic because I don't know how to explain.
I'd say the thickness of the auxiliar colour (the inbetween one used to antialias) really depends on two totally different things than the type of texture:
· The size of the coloured areas you are trying to link with antialias (Size ratio)
· The difference in angle of the two differently shaded surfaces (Depth)

Notice since both areas in the pocket are mainly parallel to the plane of the shot, the antialias needs to be minimal. However since the sleeve is more rounded, the lighter zone is more parallel to the shot whereas the darker zone is going to the back. It gives a sense of depth, which would be lost for example with the 2-colour shading (Ew that horrible one xD)

But other than that, I completely agree with everything you said.
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

With both of you guys's help, I made this updated version. (and Dataman, but I already knew about that problem.)

Credit to Dan for the tie, pocket, and collar anti-aliasing. Thanks Dan, it helped a lot.

Comparison Gif: Image
Last edited by lazyplague on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

joeyhugg wrote:I would love a color guide. We need more guides on shading, my one weakness! I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to benefit!
Yeah, I noticed there wasn't a guide on shading. I've also linked people to several guides, but I'm not very happy with them either because their format and stuff isn't targeted toward spriting. I just sort of suck at explanations.
Dave wrote:I think I get what you're saying, it's really helpful, since I struggle with shading (No artistic abilities whatsoever).
Shading's hard. I'm also still learning. The best thing to do is to study references so there's less that needs to come from imagination.

The updated version looks great. The shading has gotten better.
Danielinhoni wrote:I'd say the thickness of the auxiliar colour (the inbetween one used to antialias) really depends on two totally different things than the type of texture:
· The size of the coloured areas you are trying to link with antialias (Size ratio)
· The difference in angle of the two differently shaded surfaces (Depth)
^ That. Sorry, what I was trying to say when I used the word texture was more about depth, I guess texture's more to do with shape or pattern. Thanks for the correction... like I said, I'm not very good with words. I used to think it was to do with size but I think rendering by softness is a better guideline to follow. Most accurately is probably "how does this light hit the surface".
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Broocevelt

Post by Broocevelt »

As I said on chat, it's a great improvement Dave :D

I'll have to correct myself though, it's not exactly the difference in angle between the two areas of shading.
It's the difference in angle between the sprite's plane and exactly the collision between the two areas. Since on the updated sprite, looking at the sleeve, the collision between the two areas is done in a place that is now parallel to the plane, the antialias no longer needs to be thick. In fact it looks better now.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Danielinhoni wrote:I'll have to correct myself though, it's not exactly the difference in angle between the two areas of shading.
It's the difference in angle between the sprite's plane and exactly the collision between the two areas. Since on the updated sprite, looking at the sleeve, the collision between the two areas is done in a place that is now parallel to the plane, the antialias no longer needs to be thick. In fact it looks better now.
I'm confused. Are you talking about this area here?
Broocevelt

Post by Broocevelt »

That's what I meant with the collision of two areas, yeah; what I meant is, in the new version of the sprite, Dave changed the bright area, but did not use a very big antialias colour. I was just tweaking my earlier explanation to see why it still looked good even though it contradicted what I had said.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

I would say that it comes down to the difference between soft shading and cel shading, actually. With minimal anti-aliasing it would be cel shading translated down to the pixel level, but with more of the colour it would smooth it out and be soft shading. It's just a difference of colouring styles.