The Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread!

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Master Of Chaos
Spoken languages: English

Re: The Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread!

Post by Master Of Chaos »

The game is a prequel that's suppose to tie into the show, not become the main series itself. The show's much like SatAM and the Sonic The Hedgehog cartoon were to the games.

As for confirmation:

http://www.segadriven.com/2014/02/every ... onic-boom/
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
LunchPolice
Spoken languages: English, Namekian, Pezazulian

Post by LunchPolice »

http://youtu.be/sXgXF2t1Psc

Some proper gameplay footage of Sonic Boom released. Can I just say this game looks like
EVERYTHING WRONG WITH THIS SERIES WHYYYYYY
I make stuff sometimes
Image trophy x 5
MIND-FREAK
Master Of Chaos

Ya know as much as I discourage judgement on a game before it actually comes out, I have to say this thing looks like complete garbage. They somehow backpedaled on all the progress made in Sonic Generations and Colors. I get that this isn't the main series, but this seems like movie-licensed game quality.
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Well so far it seems fairly lackluster. None of the segments were really exciting, and even the chase they showed was very slow and not very tense. The dialogue is cheese, but then again that's never been great. Other than that, the swapping between running and fighting vaguely reminds me of Sonic Unleashed, and I could even pick out some camera issues too.

Also: "Rings! Nomnomnomnomnom!"
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

It is my personal headcanon that Sonic Boom was a sequel to Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One that was retooled as a Sonic game, which was decreased in quality by virtue of being a Sonic game deviating from the norm of the series.
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

Miss Terius
Spoken languages: English, learning Japanese

Post by Miss Terius »

Sonic Boom looks really directed to a very young audience, so I think I'm going to pass on this one... It looks interesting in it's own way though.

Also, I've been reminiscing so much of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle lately... I used to play it so much, it was like my childhood~
In the past I felt bad because my nephew really really wanted this game but couldn't find it anywhere so I gave him mine.

Recently I've been missing SA2 Battle... I recently contacted him if I could play it again and he's insisting on letting me have it. Omg. So happy. :nod:

Also, I love this video on SA2 Battle hehe it's so funny.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Oh Sonic Boom... I wanted to like you so much.

I try not to talk about games I haven't played, but at the same time, Sonic Boom isn't a must-buy game for me, and I doubt I'll ever wind up playing it. Based soley on what I've seen, though:
Spoiler : Nothing really spoilery, but just in case :
> The 3DS version looks marginally better than the Wii U version. I don't think the Wii U version is 06 levels, since as far as I know, the glitches aren't anything game-breaking. But nonetheless it doesn't look all that great.
> The writing is... Generally pretty bad. It feels like it took "kid-friendly" in the wrong direction; i.e. Dumbing things down, lots of catchphrases, and "witty" banter with plenty of cheesy jokes. So... Basically what Sonic's always done. The real problem, however, is that (in the Wii U version) the characters do not. Shut. Up. Ever. It's like if they go two seconds without saying "YAY RINGS" or "A BOUNCE PAD", they'll spontaneously combust. I pray there's an option to turn that off, because I can definitely see that ruining the game.
> The 3DS version looks pretty cool, honestly. It actually reminds me a bit of Donkey Kong. Plus... Party at Amy's house. What more do you need.
> The TV show seems fine, but it suffers the same problems of "kid-friendly" writing. I still have no idea what the lore for the series is, what the characters are doing there, their goals, etc. Don't really care to watch more. At least they don't talk constantly though.
> Might just be me, but it combat looks really hard to follow (as usual, in the Wii U version) since the characters are so small. Even when you do cool stuff, it's too small to really make it out.
> I think the show and 3DS games will be recieved fairly well, and the Wii U version... Not so much. Well, two out of three ain't bad.
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

SS Sleuth wrote:Oh Sonic Boom... I wanted to like you so much.

I try not to talk about games I haven't played, but at the same time, Sonic Boom isn't a must-buy game for me, and I doubt I'll ever wind up playing it. Based soley on what I've seen, though:
Spoiler : Nothing really spoilery, but just in case :
> The 3DS version looks marginally better than the Wii U version. I don't think the Wii U version is 06 levels, since as far as I know, the glitches aren't anything game-breaking. But nonetheless it doesn't look all that great.
> The writing is... Generally pretty bad. It feels like it took "kid-friendly" in the wrong direction; i.e. Dumbing things down, lots of catchphrases, and "witty" banter with plenty of cheesy jokes. So... Basically what Sonic's always done. The real problem, however, is that (in the Wii U version) the characters do not. Shut. Up. Ever. It's like if they go two seconds without saying "YAY RINGS" or "A BOUNCE PAD", they'll spontaneously combust. I pray there's an option to turn that off, because I can definitely see that ruining the game.
> The 3DS version looks pretty cool, honestly. It actually reminds me a bit of Donkey Kong. Plus... Party at Amy's house. What more do you need.
> The TV show seems fine, but it suffers the same problems of "kid-friendly" writing. I still have no idea what the lore for the series is, what the characters are doing there, their goals, etc. Don't really care to watch more. At least they don't talk constantly though.
> Might just be me, but it combat looks really hard to follow (as usual, in the Wii U version) since the characters are so small. Even when you do cool stuff, it's too small to really make it out.
> I think the show and 3DS games will be recieved fairly well, and the Wii U version... Not so much. Well, two out of three ain't bad.
Reviews have been coming in and it seems about equal for the 3DS and WiiU. Both landing average scores of just below the middle line (2/5s and 4/10s mostly). So...things aren't really looking up for this spin-off.

Show's been well-received though so that's good at least we can just treat the games like just another television tie-in game.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Wow ouch... It's too bad because I liked a lot of the things SB was doing. This is Amy's best role yet, now that her character doesn't revolve around being Sonic's screeching fangirl love interest. And the desgins are a welcome change of pace from the standard Sonic style.

In the end I think Sonic Boom would have been better served by being a totally new IP; so at least it wouldn't have to worry about being a Sonic game that deviates from the norm.
Master Of Chaos

Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
Jim Raynor
Spoken languages: I know, you know...
Location: From Mar Sara, taking care of the Zerg infestation.

Post by Jim Raynor »

Spongesonic IN COURT wrote:sega wat r u doin y not use ur brain
There's a reason for that game. The answer is in the link.

SEGA Discusses why Sonic Boom isn’t Coming to Wii U this year + Fire & Ice talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg

Golden Sun 4 coming out on the Switch with Golden Sun remakes of the first two games?
Was previously Ryuusai09.
Credit to Gumpei.

Grant Kirkhope is one of my favorite video game composer.
My favorite video game companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, former Rare, and former 3DO Company before it shut down.
Spoiler : Favorite characters in video games :
Starcraft: Jim Raynor, Fenix, Tassadar, Zeratul, Artanis, Alexi Stukov
Army Men: Sarge Hawk, Riff
Warcraft: Grommash (Grom) Hellscream, Thrall
Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth (And a GK2 character which I shall not add here.)
SRT/SRW: Sanger Zonvolt, Kyosuke Nanbu, Elzam V. Branstein
Shinehollow

Post by Shinehollow »

Jim Raynor wrote:

They were right about the 3DS being better then the WiiU one.Not really smart about bringing it back,though.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Shinehollow wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:

They were right about the 3DS being better then the WiiU one.Not really smart about bringing it back,though.
Just because it was better doesn't mean it was actually good...
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Well, they made two games and a cartoon show. They might as well get all they can out of it.