MotM September 2014: Evolina DeLuna

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

MotM September 2014: Evolina DeLuna

Post by enigma »

September 2014

Good Naitou, everyone~!

Evolina DeLuna!

Holey cheese! An MotM... AT THE START OF THE MONTH!? Pinch me! I must be dreaming!

...Ow. That hurt. Okay, looks like this is legit. Well, isn't that a change from the norm. Anyway, let's get the red tape out of the way and get to the important stuff. Me chatting with people. *Ahem* My name is Enigma, and I'm your host for today. This little thing here? This is the Member of the Month. The show where important members of our forum are put in the limelight. Because, you know what? Some people here deserve it. Not you, reader. You don't. But you know who does? Today's member!

Today's member is an exceptional spriter, one of the best on the site. They're also a pretty snazzy artist in general, having made the SDR0.2 character cards, a bunch of fanart and all sorts of cool custom backgrounds and whatnot in fangames. Speaking of fangames, they've made fangames before. And they've been pretty nifty.

And since they're one of the few members on this site I can turn to for art tips, let's give a warm welcome and a round of applause for them!
------------
En: Good [Insert time of day/night], everyone! I’m your host Enigma Ryuugu, and this is Member of the Month! Today in the studio we have one of AAO’s top spriters, Evolina DeLuna! How are you today, Evo?

Ev: Of course, I’m happy I can be here today! Also,
not surprisingly, I’m tired.

En: Ah, being tired. That’s no good… Oh, well. Let’s hope this
interview still works out peachy. Now, then. Obligatory first question.
What’s your favorite colour?

Ev: Don’t worry, this should be no prob…zzzZzz…
ZZzzzZzzz … just kidding. I don’t have a favorite color though, I like pretty much all colors.

Canonically Evo's favourite colour.
En: Alright, then. I guess I’ll just use my favourite for your text then, haha. So, I have to ask, how did you find AAO?

Ev: When I played my first AA game, I had this “fanfiction urge” I always have when I liked a piece of media. In this case, I immediately started writing a fancase in text format. Around this time, I was also reading AA fanfiction on another site and I found a fanfiction in just the same format. In the comments, someone linked the writer to AAO. This was just what I needed for my case, so I signed up there and started writing. I became active in the forums when I had a question about the editor.

En: Fanfiction, hm? Ah… Right. I remember you were writing a Dangan Ronpa fanfiction before. Could you tell us a little about that? Have you written any other fanfiction you feel like sharing?

Ev: I wrote a lot of Pokémon fanfiction, but it’s all in German. And full of silly plots and Mary Sues. I was 12 or so. Working on a new one right now though.

En: A new fanfiction? May I ask, what franchise is it on? And what is it about?

Ev: Another Pokémon fanfiction, but this time inspired by AA. It’s about a detective investigating the case of a
mysterious masked person collecting legendary Pokémon.

En: Did you know I once envisioned a Zero Escape X Pokemon fanfiction? It was by far one of my silliest ideas…
This, on the other hand, is a stroke of pure genius.
En: Speaking of Zero Escape, aren’t you working on a new ZE Fangame project? I believe it’s called, ah… Banana Escape? Tell us about that.

Ev: It used to be called Zero Escape: Double Distrust, but after a certain joke cover Banana Escape became an unofficial title. It just has more bananas.

En: Bananas, huh? Are we going to be treated to some Banana Skin puzzles?! Being serious, though. Would you mind telling us what the game is about and any juicy, non-spoiler tidbits about it?

Ev: It starts with the usual Zero Escape plot: Nine people are kidnapped to play in a game of life and death, and puzzles. Except our protagonist doesn’t remember being kidnapped by the usual figure in a gas mask - he doesn’t remember any of his past, not even his name. It also has new game mechanics based on every character having two bracelet numbers instead of one.
Did you know: Bananas are a good source of potassium and that when people talk about a game being bananas, what they really mean is that it is rich in minerals necessary for a healthy body~! They are also, technically, a berry.
En: TWO bracelet numbers?! That’s, like… 100% more than there was in VLR! I don’t know if I can handle this… So, I’ll move on to another question! What was your first fangame? Did you make it on AAO or… Somewhere else?

Ev: My first one was in a mix of text and RP format, I had someone else play it by letting them choose what Phoenix does, then they got the text I had prepared for that. It was about a prosecutor getting killed by a poisoned sandwich. Don’t think I ever recreated it on AAO.

En: Interesting… Interesting… A poisoned sandwhich, hm? I guess he MUSTARD regretted that. Hopefully, he wasn’t a large HAM and was a serious type of prosecutor who wouldn’t LETTUCE mess around in court like we were BREAD in a barn!
You thought we were done with the bananas, didn't you? WELL WE'RE NOT! WELCOME TO BANANA OF THE MONTH!
En: ...I’m hungry now. So, on that topic, what is your favourite food?

Ev: Lasagna. I’m Garfield.
Evo is also a vampire.
En: I hate mondays too. They’re the worst. Thursdays are the best.
Speaking of the best! What’s your favourite fancase on AAO?

Ev: Turnabout of Courage for the brilliant foreshadowing and Phantasmagoria of Betrayal for the humor.

En: Ah, yeah. ToC is a classic and PoB was a goodie. So, then… Foreshadowing and humour. Is there anything else you look for in a case? What’s your ideal fancase?

Ev: I like it when the mystery is interesting and fair the solution is surprising. I also like AA style, for example, canon characters being in character, AA style humor or good emulation of the AA style of puzzles and mechanics. Of course, gameplay innovations are also very welcome if they fit. And other than interesting mysteries, interesting character stories can also get me hooked. As long as something makes me interested, I’m fine with anything. My perfect fancase would be interesting from the start, hold that interest throughout the game, make me laugh, challenge me and give me a solution that is surprising and satisfying and a good ending to the story.
Epitome of good endings, am I right?
En: I see, I see. Yeah, the more interesting a case is, the better. Continuing this case-talk trend, why don’t we talk about your fangame for the despair comp with Whirl? How did that come about?

Ev: I got the idea for the main conflict from the theme and the OP. Then I asked him if he wanted to collab, and then we did the rest together. I really want to improve part 1 and finish part 2 someday. Someday on AAO, I guess?

En: Mm. Well, I look forward to it eventually. Especially those sprites and backgrounds. Mmm~ Custom art~ So tasty.
It tastes like this. But more custom and seasoned in ink.
En: Speaking of art, that’s what you’re most known on AAO, isn’t it? How did you get into… art-ing?

Ev: I just can’t help it. These ideas want out. As for custom sprites, I mostly make them for trials as I’m not a big fan of placeholder sprites, but there’s also that … urge to art.

En: An urge to art, huh? Yeah. I get that sometime, too. Shame I’m incompetent. Hahaha.
it was supposed to be a fullbody phoenix sprite...
En: Well, I’m interested. What was your first sprite and what was it used for?

Ev: My first sprite in general was this “masterpiece”:
(Just a recolor of an official sprite - making one from scratch back then looked like this:
Image)
I made these just for fun when I was ten years old. My first AA sprite was Lilian Night aka totally not a lazy Mia Fey edit:
Made for the German case “Lilian Night: Ace Attorney - Turnabout
Classroom”.

GAZE UPON IT! AGAIN! IT IS THE MOST GLORIOUS RENDETION OF LUGIA... EVER CREATED!
En: I see, I see. Now, you’re a GM in the RP Super Dangan Ronpa 0.2. So, my question is… What do you think of RPing? What RP’s have you been in? And… Do you have any interesting stories from any of the RP’s you’ve been in?

Ev: RPing is fun, but hard for me since characters isn’t my strong point in writing. I prefer GM over playing, but I’ll most likely join an RP as a player soon. I don’t remember being in any RPs as a player for a long time, so I don’t think I have any interesting stories to tell there yet. However, other than (what’s the official abbreviation for DRRP), a new RP in which I’m one of the GMs is coming soon: an RP based on Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. You probably know that one, enigma ;).

En: PMDRP. Right. I need to stop (say/)being lazy and get back to planning that. Ahahaha…
I'll do it today. Tomorrow. NEXT YEAR!
En: Speaking of pokemon, do you have a favorite pokemon game? A favorite pokemon?

Ev: Colosseum is my favorite game. Still hoping for an XD sequel this generation. My favorite Pokémon is Darkrai, number two is Zoroark.

En: Yes! Darkrai fans unite! Let us bring nightmares to this world!

Ev: Yes! *insert evil laugh here*
Actual footage of Evolina.
En: Now, then… On the opposite side of nightmares, what about dreams~? What are your dreams for the future, Evo?

Ev: I want to become a Physics researcher. Also, I want to make more games, and write a novel sometime.

En: A novel, huh? What would it be about?

Ev: Knowing myself, probably a mystery. But not necessarily a classic murder mystery. I like anything that is a puzzle for the protagonist and reader.

En: Ah! I’d love to read that one day. A callback to the golden age~ Back to the times of the parlour mystery. We really need to see those make a come-back. Definitely.
The monkey butler did it.
En: Now, then… How about we look at real life for a
second? What’s your average day like?

Ev: Right now, on my average day, I get up way too early (9 AM or so), go to my work, where I sadly don’t have to do much myself (it’s an internship), so I watch what’s going on there and work on my own projects while waiting for something to do there. When I’m not doing anything productive, I’m probably spending too much time on wiki-hopping. If I get some official work, it will usually be hunting bugs. Not those annoying six-legged animals, but those annoying errors that crash software. I.e., I’m a tester. When I get home late in the evening, I usually play some video games, read something or watch TV, sometimes multiple of that at the same time. Then I go to sleep at 1 AM or so. Yeah, it’s an odd internship I have there.

En: Interesting. Though, 9:00 am is hardly early by my standards. What would you say if I told you 6:00am is my normal wake-up time?

Ev: 6 AM is a time that I’d rather go to bed than get up at. Though, while 9 AM is still too early for me, I prefer it a lot over 6 AM, which I’ll probably have to get used to in college again … actually, I’ll probably never get used to that. Back in school, I had to get up at 6 AM too, and I could try my best, but I did a Cammy Meele way too often in classes.

En:
Sleeping in class isn’t a problem! The real problem is these damn schools and colleges that expect us to stay awake in them! Frankly, they’re just rude!
Actual image of Evolina?!
En: And on that note, (I say segueing into something completely unrelated), we know you like Ace Attorney, Zero Escape and Pokemon. But what other franchises do you really enjoy? Manga? Anime? Games?

Ev: As for games, I like the Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory series. Manga, I’m currently reading Higurashi and I like it. Anime, the Kindaichi Case Files and Full Metal Alchemist. I’m not sure if western TV series are part of your question, but one franchise I’m currently almost as addicted to as AA is House - I’m watching every episode for the second time at the moment. I watched/read/played and enjoyed a lot, so if you want to know anything else (like “favorite X”), just ask me, this will probably help jog my memory there.

En: You know, I’ve never watched House but I’ve always meant to. It’s, like, Sherlock Holmes is a doctor, right? Trauma Center X Sherlock, even?

Ev: Sherlock Holmes is a doctor fits. With a lot of black comedy, too. Watch it!

En: Black comedy!? Now I’m very interested! I’ll definitely check it out.
Geddit? House? Hahaha... I hate myself for this. Really. What am I doing? This isn't comedy! This isn't an original joke! Why did I make this joke? I'll... I'll go sit in my corner now.
En: And with that, I feel we should be wrapping up. Any final comments before the deadly neurotoxins fill the room?

Ev: What? Uh… deadly neurotoxins don’t work over the internet, right? I hope. Yeah, of course they don--aehnysphrz<0w4z7w7

… Ask me questions! I don’t bite. Usually. Sometimes. Maybe.

En: Alright, then. Thanks for being on the show, Evo. Goodnight and have a NIIIICE Trhu9 *cough* wrbn7o *gag* gowagndhobnmMMM *SPLUTTER* UBAJKNm,............................................
Member of the Month is sponsored by Aperture Laboratories. And by that, we mean that this is a simple standard subject selection procedure. Please do not panic. Their bodies will be baked into a delicious, moist internet meme.
--MotM is filmed before a live studio audience.--
hershel_layton
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Re: MotM September 2014: Evolina DeLuna

Post by hershel_layton »

Congrats, Evo~! Okay, okay, sooooo questions!

What program do you use for your art?

Do you use a tablet? If so, what settings for your pen/stabilizer do you use?

What's so great about Naitou?

Favourite drink?

Favourite sprite that you've made?

Favourite Higu character?

Favourite song?

What do you like most about Physics?

Favourite novel?

Favourite animal?

Favourite type of bear?

Favourite custard flavour?

Favourite flavour of mochi?

Cutest thing you can think of right now?

do you do art trades/requests/collabs

Okay, questions done! ....For now. Again, congratulations~!
100% Certified Dersh
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Gratz, Evo~

Here is totally the most important question: Do you like apfelschorle?

I am the best at hard hitting questions.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Ami
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ami »

Stickied.
since 2008!
Miss Terius
Spoken languages: English, learning Japanese

Post by Miss Terius »

Hehe I love the format with the questions and the images, it's so fun to read~!
Yay to you Evo ^^
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

やっぱり、今月のメンバーは俺の秘密のスマーフだな。おめでとう~

・・ハーシュは「内藤様」じゃなくて、「内藤」を言っってやがった。許さないぜ

一番好きな漢字は何?
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

Thanks, everyone!
hershel_layton wrote:Congrats, Evo~! Okay, okay, sooooo questions!

What program do you use for your art? Gimp.

Do you use a tablet? If so, what settings for your pen/stabilizer do you use? I do, and I just go with the default settings except for making one of the buttons on the tablet equal CTRL+Z since I need that a LOT).

What's so great about Naitou? His speech style and voice in the Japanese version is the best. Also, his sprites are really good. Overall, he was just a very entertaining character in GK2-1.
Spoiler : GK2-1 :
Also wow that plan
Favourite drink? Apfelschorle, of course. Also, Dutch Fanta is really good. Sadly, German Fanta tastes nothing like that.

Favourite sprite that you've made?
I know I was lazy with the pose there (especially compared to his objection that took like 10 hours), but it just fits so well.

Favourite Higu character? Can't choose between 34 and Satoko.

Favourite song? Fireflies by Owl City.

What do you like most about Physics? That I don't understand it.

Favourite novel? Hm, never really thought about a favorite, will decide this when I'm back home so I can look at my bookshelf.

Favourite animal? Cats are #1, a lot of rodents share #2.

Favourite type of bear? Does Monobear count? I'm not much of a bear fan, but Pandas have a nice pattern.

Favourite custard flavour? What's that?

Favourite flavour of mochi? What's that?

Cutest thing you can think of right now? Hamsters using your finger as a table for eating. Like, you put some food that takes a while to eat on your hand. Hamster goes on your hand. If you're lucky, the hamster stays on your hand while eating, which is super cute. If you're even luckier, the hamster steps down from your hand, but not completely, stands on the floor with the food in his hands that he rests on your finger, which is ultramegasupercute <3

do you do art trades/requests/collabs I have too many requests right now, but I'd do art trades and collabs.
kwando1313 wrote:Here is totally the most important question: Do you like apfelschorle?
It's my favorite drink, so yes.
Bad Player wrote:やっぱり、今月のメンバーは俺の秘密のスマーフだな。おめでとう~

・・ハーシュは「内藤様」じゃなくて、「内藤」を言っってやがった。許さないぜ

一番好きな漢字は何?
ありがとう!
ハーシュは「内藤」を言ったのにはがっかりだ。
漢字は、たいとはすごいね。
Last edited by Evo on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Evolina deLuna wrote: 漢字は、たいとはすごいね。
そ、そんなばかな・・・
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

More hard hitting questions by Kwando:

Spätzle. Yay or nay?

Favourite cuisine of food?

What country do you want to visit the most?

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Evo

Post by Evo »

Bad Player wrote:
Evolina deLuna wrote: 漢字は、たいとはすごいね。
そ、そんなばかな・・・
BPさんはたいとは好きじゃない?単純すぎる?
kwando1313 wrote:More hard hitting questions by Kwando:

Spätzle. Yay or nay? Somewhere in the middle. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

Favourite cuisine of food? Italian.

What country do you want to visit the most? Really need to go to Japan sometime.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

一番好きな推理小説は何?
一番好きな推理小説の作者は誰?
一番好きな金田一少年の事件簿の事件は何?
一番好きな密室殺人は何?
日本に行けば、そこで何をしたい?日本のどこに行きたい?
コスプレイをやったことある?コスプレイをやりたいキャラがある?
一番好きな逆転シリーズのケースは何?一番嫌い?
四葉と心音と、どっちの方がいや?
Topaz
Spoken languages: English, 日本語

Post by Topaz »

Highly important question I got for you here.

Banana?
Last edited by Topaz on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Herzlichen Glückwunsch.

Bist du ein Wolf?

Und wie wärs mit ein paar Banana Escape Spoilern?
TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Post by TheDoctor »

Favorite AA character?

Favorite AA sprite?
Image Image Image
Evo

Post by Evo »

Bad Player wrote:一番好きな推理小説は何? 小説より推理漫画を頻繁に読むが、BPさんはおすすめ小説がある?
一番好きな推理小説の作者は誰? アガサ・クリスティだ。
一番好きな金田一少年の事件簿の事件は何?幽霊客船殺人事件だ。BPさんは、読んだ?
一番好きな密室殺人は何? 多分探偵学園のアイドル密室だろう。解こうとすることは楽しいだった。
日本に行けば、そこで何をしたい?日本のどこに行きたい? 日本語を実行したり、日本についてもっと知ったりしたい。どこに行きたいのはまだ分からない。
コスプレイをやったことある?コスプレイをやりたいキャラがある? ことがないが、ゼンデスのルナのコスプレイをしたい。
一番好きな逆転シリーズのケースは何?一番嫌い? 一番好きは、たぶん逆転の切札だろう。全てが好きが、一番嫌いは初めての逆転だ。
四葉と心音と、どっちの方がいや? 心音の方が困らせる。
Topaz wrote:Highly important question I got for you here.

Banana?
Bananas.
Blackrune wrote:Herzlichen Glückwunsch.

Bist du ein Wolf? Nein, ich bin der Seher, Mono ist ein Wolf.

Und wie wärs mit ein paar Banana Escape Spoilern? Spoiler: Es gibt ein Nonary Game. Und Morde.
TheDoctor wrote:Favorite AA character? Hard to choose since I like a lot of characters. Probably Souta. (Simon Keyes for those who played the fan translation)

Favorite AA sprite? Hmm ... maybe one of the breakdowns in AAI / GK2? They were all hilarious. Alternatively,
Spoiler : GK2-5 :
dat shrug.