October 2011 - Bad Player

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

October 2011 - Bad Player

Post by Meph »

Member of the Month
October 2011
Bad Player

He's evil! He even admits to it! ... Oh wait, he means he's rubbish.
This is the Member of the Month; an interview that I do at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

I personally select each month's Member of the Month. People are picked based on their contributions to the community, whether they are: making excellent trials, providing comic relief or just being a brilliant person. The next Member of the Month could be you!

If you have any questions about the Member of the Month system, please PM me.
I've been doing MotM for over a year now, so it's about time Bad Player had his turn. I remember when he first joined. In fact, I remember the exact day: the 29th of May, 2009. Well... actually, I just got that off his profile page.

If you don't see him much in General Discussions, you'll most likely know Bad Player from his featured trial, New Year's Turnabout.
Meph: Hello. Welcome to the seventeenth Member of the Month interview.

Bad Player: Thanks. It's great to be here. I think it's kind of nice going after Zeel, because I don't have to try to be super-crazy, because I know I wouldn't be able to match his interview. :P

Meph: First, let's start off with your username. Are you really a bad player?

Bad Player: Well, at Warcraft 3, yes. That's where I first started using it. I just stuck with it for a while after that because then it's either apt or it's a misnomer, and I'm fine with either of those.

Meph: What's your home life like?

Bad Player: My dad is usually out working, but my mom retired shortly after I was born, so she's usually around. I don't have any brothers or sisters, but I have 3 dogs and a cat, and they usually keep the house lively enough. To be honest, it isn't really that exciting (but that's not to say I don't mind~).

Meph: What do you usually do on most days?

Bad Player: On weekdays I usually get up at 8 AM. I go onto the internet a bit, get ready for the day, go to classes, have lunch, then go to more classes, which end at 3. Sometimes I'll have rehearsal with a music group, but besides that it's a combination of doing homework, hanging out with my friends, surfing the web and playing video games.

On Saturday I tell myself I'm going to get lots of homework done, but then I usually just goof off and wind up doing it all on Sunday. ^^'

Meph: Where do you like to go on holiday?

Bad Player: When I was growing up, we mostly went on vacations to different places in the US (including Disneyworld, as I'm sure you're interested in. :P I've been there, probably about... 15 times?). But we started to run out of places in the US, so now we usually go on vacations to other countries. We usually go on a bus tour through a company, so that we get to see all the major sites, rather than just staying in one city and only seeing that. Sometimes, if we don't have much time, we'll take a road trip to someplace close by, too.

But to actually answer your question... I've been to many many places, and I haven't had a bad vacation yet, so I don't really have that much of a preference.

Meph: What was your childhood like?

Bad Player: It was pretty good, I think. In elementary school, I was usually really good friends with one person, but then it just stopped the next year... At around 2nd grade, I became friends with a girl, but boy/girl friendships don't usually work out in elementary school. However, by complete chance in middle school we were in the same homeroom, and we both signed up for Latin, so we quickly became friends again. We expanded our circle of friends a bit each year, and it worked out pretty well.

As I already mentioned, my mom retired so that she could take care of me, so she was always there whenever I needed anything.

I also started playing the flute in 4th grade for the band, and playing a girly instrument is probably just as bad as being friends with girls... but I just kept on playing it. I think that's where I got my attitude where I just do what I want, not just what others want me to do.

Meph: What are your future ambitions?

Bad Player:Hmm... To be happy, and hopefully be rich. :P To be honest, I really don't know what I want to do in the future...

Meph: Do you have any idea what field it could be in? What are you good at?

Bad Player: Well, right now I'm studying economics. I'm good at math (with numbers, at least. Real math is difficult and scary) and there's lots of money in economics/finance/business, so... And as most of you are probably already aware, I'm also studying Japanese. I don't know exactly what I want to do in the future yet, but I'm trying to set myself up so that I'll be able to do something I like and am good at.

Meph: Do you think you'd be good in a job as a localiser or maybe working in Japan as a holiday rep?

Bad Player: My hunch is that localization is one of those jobs that's "ZOMG it would be so awsum to do that!" at first but actually not that great when you think about it further. To be honest, I'd probably be more interested in making the original game rather than the localization. And I just don't have that much interest in being a 'holiday rep,' you silly Brit. :P

I'd say the ideal would be getting a job on Wall Street, getting super-rich, retiring at age 35, and opening a small game studio for fun. ...Oh, and meeting my soulmate and starting a family somewhere in there, too. I don't think that's actually likely, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Meph: Why don't you want to be a rep? I thought you would have liked to live in Japan through half the year?

Bad Player: Just because I said I didn't want to be a concierge/travel agent/tour guide-person-thingy in Japan doesn't mean I don't want to do ANYTHING in Japan. xD I mean, if I work for an American company that has a branch in Japan, or the other way around, or work for a company that has a lot of ties with a Japanese company... That would work too, wouldn't it?

Meph: Yeah. That could work, too. :P

Meph: Do you have any other hobbies or interests?

Bad Player: Well, there's video games, for one. :P I also like to watch anime, although lately (= past year or so) I've been reading manga more, just because it's easier to fit into a schedule. Maybe it counts as a subset of video games, but I want to start reading some visual novels soon, mostly for Japanese practice. (...Does Japanese count as a hobby? I'm doing it mostly for fun. xD)

I play quite a few instruments, but I actually don't listen to music that much. Or rather, I don't listen to a great variety of music. There are some great video game soundtracks, and I really like plays and musicals, so I have plenty of showtunes, but... there's not much beyond that. I don't like rap, but beyond that I'm pretty neutral so far as which music I like and not. I think I just don't really have time to listen to it, so I don't. Another thing on my list of things to eventually do is to try to compose music, but I think that'll have to wait until I have time, a midi keyboard, and (money for) a decent program.

...Oh, and I also like to play games. ^_^ (Game theory is interesting!)

Meph: When did you first visit AAO and what made you want to join?

Bad Player: To be honest, I'm not sure when I first visited/found out/joined AAO. ...Well, according to my profile, it says I joined on May 20, 2009. But I found out about it from The Great Casemaker Debate (PWLib vs PyWright vs AAO) on CR.

I think the story of joining AAO is pretty much tied into how I got into fancasemaking... So near the end of October '08, a guy from CR called Prosecutor Manella asked if anyone wanted to write cases for his fangame. (He wanted other people to write the first 3 cases that would set up the AU, and then he would do the last two cases himself.) So I signed up to do it... mostly on a whim, I think. ^^'

He told me, "The case is called Silence of the Turnabout. Drew Misham is the defendant. Alita, his wife, is the victim. Witnesses are Vera and Guy Eldoon. Go." and I wrote up SotT from that. (...Although in retrospect, it seems Eldoon fell through the cracks. ^^') Then at the beginning of '09, Frenchy contacted me and asked me if I wanted to help out with Turnabout Substitution. To be honest, I had completely forgotten what that even was when he contacted me. But I accepted, because writing SotT had been fun, and we all know how TSub turned out... (And if you don't, you should go play it! ;D [/shamelessadvertising]) But anyway, then in (I guess) May that year, Manella had pretty much gone inactive. I didn't want the script I wrote for SotT to go to waste, so I decided to just make it myself. Since AAO was on the "easy/simple to use" end of the casemaker scale, I figured that that would be the best casemaker to use for it. So I signed up for AAO, made SotT on it (but just the trials, since the investigations were boring and would've needed a lot of custom graphics that I couldn't make myself), and posted it. I stuck around to get it featured and see the community's reaction to it, but then I just... left. However, near the end of last year, Tap (I think) told me on Ace Fancase that SotT had been nominated in a few categories for the AAO awards, so I returned to rally up some votes so I could win. And I've been here ever since. ;D

Meph: That ties in nicely with my next question. How do you feel about the success that you've been having with your trials?

Bad Player: Well, it's only natural that someone as great as I would make such amazing trials. :P

Although really, a lot of it is due to Frenchy. If it wasn't for him asking me to help write TSub, I probably would've just stopped after the script for SotT. SotT was on my own, and it was great for its time, but if you compare it to some of the newer trials, it doesn't really match up anymore. TSub was Frenchy's game; I just wrote out the crime that he had developed. For NYT, I came up with the basic trick the killer used (you should know which one, if you've played it ;D) and in general how it fit into the story, but Frenchy came up with the characters, their backgrounds, and why they did what they did. And even though it isn't out yet, the same thing is pretty much happening with The Black Turnabout... although he's also the one who is organizing the creation of all of our custom graphics. So, yeah. I'm really glad that my trials have been received so well, but they aren't just "my" trials.

Meph: What do you think helped to give you your skills in writing?

Bad Player: To be honest, I'm not that sure... Being a grammar nazi helps, I think. I like logic and order, so that (and SATs >_>) instilled what to do in that respect. When I was a kid, I used to read a lot, but through most of elementary school (I think), my mom read to me pretty much every night, which is always a good thing. Thinking back on it, it's kind of strange, but she read rather... mature books to me. That is, murder mystery books. But less detective fiction, and more horror film-esque "zomg someone is killing everyone else who could it be?!" books. But that probably helped. The only creative writing I've really done besides AAO fancases, though, is Yu-Gi-Oh fanfiction. It was pretty bad, but practice makes perfect, right?

There's also the fact that writing Ace Attorney fancases is sort of "cheating" in a certain sense, since it's just writing dialogue without the rest of the prose.

Meph: What's your favourite fan trial on AAO?

Bad Player: Turnabout Deception.... Although that was a long time ago. I need to replay that. And Turnabout at the Convention. My other favorite trials are The Virtual Turnabout and One Hell of a Turnabout (and probably Turnabout of Courage, once it's finished). Blackrune can make some preeeeeeeeeetty crazy mysteries.

Meph: Which of the official Ace Attorney games is your favourite?

Bad Player: Well, I haven't finished it yet, so I don't want to say officially, but Gyakuten Kenji 2 is really amazing. I'm getting to the end of the fourth case, and unless the last case is really really bad (and according to people who have played/know GK2, it isn't) then it will be my favorite. It's not just that every single crime is great, but the way the mystery is developed....

Out of the ones that I've finished, I think it's a tie between Ace Attorney and Ace Attorney Investigations. AA was the first, original game in the series. The production team may have stepped up their game since then, but 1-4 and 1-5 are just great cases. I even like 1-2 and 1-3, despite the deus ex machina in the former. (I still love the way the wiretapping played into it at the end...) AAI had a really nice overarching storyline. I-1 and I-2 aren't that great, I think, but the other three cases are pretty neat. Especially I-5. The length of it turned some people off, but... I just loved how deep and convoluted the mystery was. xD Plus, both AA and AAI had really good soundtracks overall, I thought.

HOLD IT!

If we're done talking about the actual AA games, then I need to mention how much I hate 2-4. ^_^

Meph: What other games do you really like?

Bad Player: Well, 999 is The Best Game Ever. Everyone should to play it. Right now.

I mostly like RPGs and Adventure games. So Legend of Zelda series, Baten Kaitos + Baten Kaitos Origins (although I haven't finished BTO yet), Tales of Symphonia, Final Fantasy 5, Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Professor Layton, Hotel Dusk, and Trace Memory to name a few off the top of my head... Also, Super Smash Bros. It's the only fighting game I can play (and Mario Kart is the only racing game I can play).

Since I don't have my game collection right in front of me, it's hard to remember all the games I've played and really liked... What I DO have is a (pretty long) list of games I want to eventually play, but that isn't as helpful. ^^'

I also like to play online games, since they're short (sometimes) and free. I put my favorites in the "Video Game Top 10s" thread, but if I had to quickly through a few out right here, I'd say Tower of Heaven and the Mardek RPG series are really good games that everyone should try.

Meph: Before we conclude this interview, do you have anything else you'd like to say?

Bad Player: It was pretty fun doing this, so thanks for picking me to be this month's MotM, and thanks to all the other users who make AAO such an awesome place to be. ;D

Meph: No problem at all. ;) Thanks for the interview.
ShadowEdgeworth

Re: Member of the Month: October 2011

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

ABOUT TIME!! :D

Congrats, BP, well-deserved indeed! :)

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
Dypo deLina
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Al Bhed

Post by Dypo deLina »

Congrats, BP! :D
Knew it had to be you. *shot for obvious lie*
チラセ・マギタ
~Married to Evolina deLuna~ <3
~Loving father to ZetaAzuel~

Proud creator of Cynder Janice, Rex Gladiorum, and Raimpius in Endless Time.

Image Image
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Congratulations BP.

Maybe now you can stop SUCKING SO MUCH AT VIDEO GAMES.

Kidding!
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

C-Congratulations, BP. :D

Keep liking english trials made by Germans. xP
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

Congratulations BP~
Master Of Chaos

Post by Master Of Chaos »

Congrats BP!
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
Remilia Scarlet

Post by Remilia Scarlet »

One minute after I explain my deduction, gosh.

Congrats, BP(though you should have come back way sooner when I ran into you on EM and told you to return).
Meph

Post by Meph »

Terrible. Ignorant. Foolish.
But his mouth speaks with many differences.
And his hands once crafted together.

The first line should be obvious. :P
The second line refers to the fact that BP is multilingual.
And the last line shows how he has collaborated with people in the past.
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Meph all I pictured was a man cursed by the gods for his foolishness and turned into a hideous beast with a hundred mouths and his hands melded into one giant flipper.

What I'm saying is, your clues made BP sound like some Lovecraftian horror gone wrong.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

The 'once' (And my initial misread of it XD) was what threw me off.

Anyway, congrats Oracle! =D
Meph

Post by Meph »

Hodou Okappa wrote:What I'm saying is, your clues made BP sound like some Lovecraftian horror gone wrong.
So what's the problem?

j/k. :P But hopefully you can tell that my riddles are purposely very vague and metaphorical. Don't take them too seriously. ;)
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

Congratulations, Ace Face! :P
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

HUGHES!

...So, uh, first question. Why HUGHES? What makes him such a memetic character?
Meph all I pictured was a man cursed by the gods for his foolishness and turned into a hideous beast with a hundred mouths and his hands melded into one giant flipper.

What I'm saying is, your clues made BP sound like some Lovecraftian horror gone wrong.
Hodou did I ever mention that you are hilarious sometimes? If we had a real life Pinkie Pie you would be the closest thing to it.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

I actually managed to notice before the topic even reached page 2! I'm proud of myself.

And congratulations, BP. You deserve it :P
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P