July 2013 - Bandit Keith (aka Gourdy)

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Topaz
Spoken languages: English, 日本語

Re: Member of the Month: July 2013

Post by Topaz »

So GD, out of all the common heroine archetypes in VNs, which do you tend to prefer?
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

kwando1313 wrote:Oh yeah. Who is your favourite character in SDR2? (Because we already know that Chihiro is your favourite in the DR series.)
Tsumiki, though I honestly initially thought I would dislike her, and for a while, I actually did. The main plot and her Free Time Events managed to change my mind. She's one of those characters who I think you NEED to see their Free Time Events in order to understand them. Though to be honest, I think that her personality makes it so that you could end up disliking her anyway. Opinions, I suppose. Other than her, my favorites would be Sonia and Gundam, two characters everyone seems to love. Especially Gundam. I don't think I need to explain my reasons there.
Singidava wrote:Congrats, GD! Was about time~
Thank you, Singi.
ZetaAzuel wrote:Conrgatz and what not, so now time for question of quotability.

What is your favorite color?

If you could have a mutation (don't think superhero, imagine having an extra finger) what would it be?

What emotion is the best emotion?
You have my gratitude, Zeta. My favorite color is either grey or fuchsia depending on my mood. For a mutation, I'm going to go with something fairly useless. I'd want my pupils to have some sort of odd design to them. Maybe something similar to Hinata's eyes in SDR2, where his pupils have the design of a prohibition symbol somehow.
energizerspark wrote:Gongrats, GD!
Who do you like to play as most in Smash Bros?
I've only ever played Smash Bros at the house of a friend. But when I do... Well... Marth. Yeah. Fairly obvious. Oddly enough, I was also fond of Luigi for some reason.
Blackrune wrote:Congratz, GD.

I'm not sure what to ask at the moment... though wait, I think a new VN recommendation is overdue.
So what is/are your favourite comedic VN/s?
Thank you Rune. As for a new VN recommendation, I think that would depend on what you were looking for. Unless you're asking for a comedy VN right now. Which would vary depending on what you classify as "Comedy"... I notice that a lot of serious VNs are tagged as "Comedy" in the VNDB. Um... Hm. I like the comedy in Little Busters! a lot (though the comedy scenes are mostly in the Common Route), and I'm currently reading Rewrite, which is kind of hit-or-miss for me when it comes to comedy, but the hits are extremely funny in my opinion. Sharin no Kuni and Kira Kira also had plenty of funny moments, even if the latter's translation had problems. ... All those VNs aren't really pure Comedies, though, since they all have seriousness in them. I guess in terms of pure Comedies, I like over-the-top randomness like OMGWTFOTL and Crimsoness.
Topaz wrote:So GD, out of all the common heroine archetypes in VNs, which do you tend to prefer?
That's a tough one because just about any archetype has been done extremely well and extremely badly. And I guess it would also depend on the "tone" of the VN. Hold on, let me go to the VNDB to get a list. ... Hm. I don't know if it really counts, but I tend to be fond of well-written "Foreigner" characters, as long as they have more depth to them than random badly-spoken English. (Or whatever their first language is.)
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Master Of Chaos
Spoken languages: English

Post by Master Of Chaos »

Bandit Keith is very...Uh...Well, it's easy to see why...Er....Ah I got nothin.

Congrats Dreamer-San! Wait, this feels familiar...

Alrighty, questions:

1: What is your inspiration for writing?

2: How did you get into VN's?

3: Why did you make me a Tsundere in the crackfic you twisted evil puppy kicking no good two timing jerk!? I have no Tsundere traits ever and you know it! THAT IS THE TRUTH! WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO MUCH!? HUH!? WHY!? In your crackfic, the AAOers were genderflipped. What gave you this idea?

4: Can you name all of your RP characters off the top of your head?

5: Do you have an actual Attorney's Badge in RL?

6: How did you manage to get this much influence on AAO?

7: What is your favorite moment out of any Nasuverse work? You can just hint at it if you don't want to spoil.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
Jim Raynor
Spoken languages: I know, you know...
Location: From Mar Sara, taking care of the Zerg infestation.

Post by Jim Raynor »

Congratz, GD, for becoming the next MotM. XD

What's your favorite video game genre?

What's your favorite music? (I don't mind if it's video game music or just music.)

Do you play any Sims type of games?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg

Golden Sun 4 coming out on the Switch with Golden Sun remakes of the first two games?
Was previously Ryuusai09.
Credit to Gumpei.

Grant Kirkhope is one of my favorite video game composer.
My favorite video game companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, former Rare, and former 3DO Company before it shut down.
Spoiler : Favorite characters in video games :
Starcraft: Jim Raynor, Fenix, Tassadar, Zeratul, Artanis, Alexi Stukov
Army Men: Sarge Hawk, Riff
Warcraft: Grommash (Grom) Hellscream, Thrall
Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth (And a GK2 character which I shall not add here.)
SRT/SRW: Sanger Zonvolt, Kyosuke Nanbu, Elzam V. Branstein
Drey Wilkins
Spoken languages: English + Scraps of Russian

Post by Drey Wilkins »

Oh, congratulations GD!
Guardian Dreamer wrote:even if my interests don't quite match the norm around here.
Heh, I know that all too well. I mean, come on; I've got to be the only member on the whole site that has only barely played AA.
Seriously. I think it goes without saying that I can never be the member of the month.

Avatar and signature made by the wonderful Holhol.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Congrats GD. Have fun being ruler of the month of July. Be a fair and just ruler. Or abacus.
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Congrats GD.

Since your favorite type of character has already been asked... is there any particular character archetype that you heavily dislike or think is incredibly overused?
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
$Fth

Post by $Fth »

1) When you create a post in an RP, what are the main steps you take in the creation of the post?
2) What about steps in creating a character?
3) What are flaws you feel are prominent in your writing?
4) Strengths?
5) Who is/are your favorite RPer(s)?
6) Least favorite?
7) Favorite RPs?
Eight) Least favorite?
9) Favorite style of universe (post apocalyptic, high school hiding a deeper story, medieval fantasy, etc.)?
10) Least favorite?
And all the carries and junglers will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll whisper...
"MORDE ES NUMERO UNO HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE"
Bad Player wrote:In comparison, you put objects in bags.
Just call me Ike.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

I already congratulated you in the xat, but congrats again.

So, GD, who is your favorite character in all fiction? (Now, I know you don't like mystery but this isn't an inherently mystery question) Who is your favorite fictional murderer? What VN, in your opinion, has made use of emotion best? What is your favorite scene in any VN? From what you know of me, what VN (and which VN character) do you think suits me best? Same question as the last one, but about yourself?
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

So GD, lots of people probably know the answer to this, but well, I don't :V

So... your opinion on Mondo? I'm asking because... well, you know.

(No, I don't really have an opinion on Mondo myself, it's just... you know. The thing.)
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
GuardianDreamer

I jut realized that I forgot to answer one of Zeta's questions. Anyway, the best emotion is happiness.
Master Of Chaos wrote:Bandit Keith is very...Uh...Well, it's easy to see why...Er....Ah I got nothin.

Congrats Dreamer-San! Wait, this feels familiar...

Alrighty, questions:

1: What is your inspiration for writing?

2: How did you get into VN's?

3: Why did you make me a Tsundere in the crackfic you twisted evil puppy kicking no good two timing jerk!? I have no Tsundere traits ever and you know it! THAT IS THE TRUTH! WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO MUCH!? HUH!? WHY!? In your crackfic, the AAOers were genderflipped. What gave you this idea?

4: Can you name all of your RP characters off the top of your head?

5: Do you have an actual Attorney's Badge in RL?

6: How did you manage to get this much influence on AAO?

7: What is your favorite moment out of any Nasuverse work? You can just hint at it if you don't want to spoil.
1. I don't really know what this question could mean. Do you mean who inspired me to start writing, or how I get my inspiration? I'll just say that I don't really know where my inspiration comes from... If I had to answer, I guess I would say that it comes from experiencing new things. (Oh, and thanks for the congratulations)

2. It started off with a bunch of freeware VNs that probably ranged from "bad" to "decent", though I probably thought they were great back then. I don't remember any specific names, but I could probably find a few if I really wanted to. Anyway, it wasn't until someone recommended Yume Miru Kusuri to me that I really got into Visual Novels.

3. You're doing it now. Obvious Tsundere. I think everyone thinks about how things would be if their favorite characters were gender-flipped, and real life people get gender-flipped all the time in fiction. So, why not?

4. AAO, MAYBE, but I'd struggle a lot with it. All of them ever? No chance. I'm doing my best to forget some of my earlier RP characters, who were extremely shallow, but even without that, I'd probably forget a bunch of them. I don't have a super-memory.

5. I wish.

6. By making everyone into my shadow-puppet.

7. That one scene in Fate/stay Night, HF route. More specifically, the one where the narration tries to make Kotomine sound threatening no matter what he does, to the point of somehow making him sound threatening just by ordering a second helping of mapo tofu. It's just so ridiculous that it works somehow even if it's funny when you think about it. That's the scene that always sticks out to me.
Jim Raynor wrote:Congratz, GD, for becoming the next MotM. XD

What's your favorite video game genre?

What's your favorite music? (I don't mind if it's video game music or just music.)

Do you play any Sims type of games?
Thank you, Ryuu. I'd say that my favorite video game genre is Strategy RPGs. Whether they're actually tactical or more about just overpowering the enemy ridiculously, I tend to be fond of them. My favorite music tends to come from video games... I seem to be extremely fond of music that plays at particularly poignant moments, though I also like listening to the opening music and credits music of games.
Drey Wilkins wrote:Oh, congratulations GD!
You have my thanks, Drey.
S.S. Sleuth wrote:Congrats GD. Have fun being ruler of the month of July. Be a fair and just ruler. Or abacus.
Thanks Sleuf. Your A-rank in staves will never be forgotten.
NihilisticNinja wrote:Congrats GD.

Since your favorite type of character has already been asked... is there any particular character archetype that you heavily dislike or think is incredibly overused?
Thank you for the congratulations, NN. This is going to sound predictable, but I dislike "Modern Tsunderes". Allow me to clarify. Using the VNDB as a source, there are two kinds of "Tsundere" that people tend to be familiar with. A "Modern" one is that type that switches personalities about 10 times every five minutes, constantly switching between sweet and being a jerk. A "Classic Tsundere" is the type that starts off hostile or cold, but warms up and remains friendly. I don't mind the Classic kinds, but Modern ones are just... They can be written well (Especially if paired with a deadpan snarker) but most of the time I dislike them. If they have any personality beyond being a tsundere, I can probably like them. This goes for male characters as well as female characters.
$Fth wrote:1) When you create a post in an RP, what are the main steps you take in the creation of the post?
2) What about steps in creating a character?
3) What are flaws you feel are prominent in your writing?
4) Strengths?
5) Who is/are your favorite RPer(s)?
6) Least favorite?
7) Favorite RPs?
Eight) Least favorite?
9) Favorite style of universe (post apocalyptic, high school hiding a deeper story, medieval fantasy, etc.)?
10) Least favorite?
1. I used to take it extremely slowly by just slowly writing things out, but lately I've been favoring shorter posts that I can write more quickly, especially since the active RPs I'm in tend to go by quickly. I usually listen to calm music when writing, preferably without lyrics so that I don't get distracted. With my longer posts, I take a very long time just slowly writing it while doing other things. With shorter posts, I try to get it done in one go, allowing only a few distractions. In both cases, I make sure to edit the posts. I've made plenty of silly mistakes in the past simply because I forgot to look over my posts...

2. I think about what kind of character I'd like to write. I often try character types I haven't written before, though there are a few character types that I really like writing as. I like to think about what kind of appearance would make sense for them... This is probably going to sound obvious, but I like to ask myself "Why would this character wear this?" and that tends to help a lot. I used to think that I NEEDED absurdly detailed backstories to create a good character, but I've been moving away from that thought process recently. A great backstory helps, but a lot of people get so caught up in writing a backstory that they forget about everything else, which has happened to me in the past.

3. Describing the appearance of... Anything. People, objects, anything. I've been trying to get better at it by following some guides, and while I think I've improved, it's still my weak spot.

4. Don't know if this really counts, but I'd consider my strength to be that I'm fairly reliable when it comes to posting in RPs. I do occasionally forget, but a quick PM to me should fix that. I also like to think that I do my best to be fairly helpful to people new to RPing, though I do occasionally worry that it might seem like I don't really care at all. Finally, I think that I can describe emotions fairly well.

5. ShadowEdgeworth and Truf are probably tied for that spot. They're both absolutely fantastic writers that I enjoy RPing with.

6. I don't really think I HAVE a least favorite. That probably sounds like it's dodging the question, but for an RPer to be my "least favorite", they'd have to show absolutely no spirit in RPing and show no desire to improve at all. I can't think of anyone on this site who matches that criteria.

7. Endless Time, Requiem, and Haruhism. The Dangan Ronpa RP is also pretty fun so far, so it might be added to that list.

8. Why is this the only one you wrote out as a word instead of a number? Probably Crossover Central. It was very fun at times, but the controversy surrounding it drained all the fun away, and it had numerous problems. (A note to Enigma: I have nothing against you, and I do genuinely believe you've improved since the CC Controversies.)

9. High school hiding a deeper story, though medieval fantasy is a close second.

10. Probably sci-fi. I don't dislike it, but those tend to confuse me a lot.
enigma wrote:I already congratulated you in the xat, but congrats again.

So, GD, who is your favorite character in all fiction? (Now, I know you don't like mystery but this isn't an inherently mystery question) Who is your favorite fictional murderer? What VN, in your opinion, has made use of emotion best? What is your favorite scene in any VN? From what you know of me, what VN (and which VN character) do you think suits me best? Same question as the last one, but about yourself?
Yay, I got two congratulations from the same person. Um... I honestly can't decide my favorite character in all of fiction. I like characters for many different reasons, so it seems unfair to compare them. Fictional murderer... Can't decide on that either, sorry. (I am boring) I think Yume Miru Kusuri made the best use of emotion (I am horribly biased when it comes to that, of course), though Little Busters! is a close contender for me with the Refrain route. And I can't help but think of you as anyone except Rena from Higurashi. As for me, I think of myself as some weird combination of a bunch of VN characters, only some of which you'd actually know.
SwagmaWampyr wrote:So GD, lots of people probably know the answer to this, but well, I don't :V

So... your opinion on Mondo? I'm asking because... well, you know.

(No, I don't really have an opinion on Mondo myself, it's just... you know. The thing.)
I don't think anyone's actually asked me that. Anyway, I actually like Mondo. I like the direction they took his character, though he probably isn't one of my favorites. For a more in-depth answer...
Spoiler : DR1 :
Yeah, Mondo DID kill my favorite character, but he clearly felt bad about the whole thing. I can't help but sympathize with him because of his motive. He obviously panicked, and even after the murder, he did his best to keep Chihiro's gender hidden for as long as possible. Also, I was really fond of his Free Time Events for some reason, I really felt like they helped flesh him out. Also, you probably don't know about this since you read the SA LP, but in the DR1 Fan Translation Patch, there's this scene where Ishimaru and Mondo make bro-puns and it's the greatest thing ever.
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Make My Life Worse
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

....Oh yeah, speaking of DR1... and I'm sure you've heard this one to death, but, uh... I wasn't around during the DR craze so it's not like I'd know.
Spoiler : DR :
So, why Chihiro, anyway? Did AE play a part in it? And did you always like him, or did you need to spring the trap, so to speak?
...And hell, since I'm already bugging you about the cast, how about Aoi and Sakura, my favorite characters?
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Some questions about VNs and other, random stuff:

What's so appealing to you about VNs?

What do you like in a VN?

Could you give examples for the VNs that meet your expectations the most? The least?

Finally, what are the VNs that you have recently finished and/or are currently working on finishing?

What is your favorite school subject and why?

If you had to pick any movie to do a "sporking" on, which would it be and why?

What are your favorite activities outside of the technological world?
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
GuardianDreamer

SwagmaWampyr wrote:....Oh yeah, speaking of DR1... and I'm sure you've heard this one to death, but, uh... I wasn't around during the DR craze so it's not like I'd know.
Spoiler : DR :
So, why Chihiro, anyway? Did AE play a part in it? And did you always like him, or did you need to spring the trap, so to speak?
...And hell, since I'm already bugging you about the cast, how about Aoi and Sakura, my favorite characters?
I'll just answer that all at once. In a spoiler tag, since... Well, DR1 spoilers.
Spoiler : DR1 Spoilers :
Well, about Chihiro... Honestly, I guessed the whole "trap" thing pretty quickly. The voice (As well as having the appearance of someone who could be a trap) gave it away, though I think that his VA did the best he could. I will say that the whole "trap" thing is something that I like, but it isn't like that's the main reason why I like Chihiro. I realize that I often say I love traps and reverse-traps, but to be honest, most of the time I'm just playing that up for comedy, more or less. Though I do still like them.

Anyway, I guess what I really liked about Chihiro is that he honestly seemed like a very likable and kind person. I will also admit that I really liked the whole "Weak on the outside, but strong on the inside" thing he had going for him, where he refused to commit a murder even when Monobear threatened to reveal his secret. I especially liked how it compared to Mondo (Who was strong on the outside, but weak on the inside) so yeah, that was great. And I do sort-of count AE as Chihiro as well, but only kind of. I think that AE really shows just how much Chihiro wanted to be helpful to the others, though. Also I will totally admit that I have a soft spot for male characters who act feminine, as well as female characters who act masculine, as long as they have other personality traits as well that goes beyond just that. And Chihiro definitely counts in my book.

Okay, now onto Asahina and Sakura. I will first tell you that I like Sakura a lot more than Asahina, but Asahina is good I suppose. It's mostly that I found Sakura more interesting, especially her role as the mole and I liked her personality. Also her sacrifice was touching. So Sakura was great overall. Asahina was... I thought she was 'okay' most of the time. But I will say that Chapter 4 made me like her a lot more (Without it, I'd probably find her meh), and that's where she really shined as a character, I think. So yeah. Sakura's great, Asahina is okay before Chapter 4, then becomes much better during and after chapter 4.

Come to think of it, I realize that I don't really "dislike" any of the DR characters. There's three I'd like to comment on that I have more mixed feelings on, though. Yamada is SUPPOSED to be creepy, and while I didn't like him that much, he was well-written in that respect. Hagakure was... I honestly keep changing my mind between thinking that he's hilarious, and not liking him. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd say I "like" him though... That "aliens" moment was golden. Also I don't know how to feel about Celestia simply because you can interpret her character in so many ways. If you take everything she says at face value in Chapter 3, then she's boring, but she's also hinted to lie about a lot of stuff, leading to lots of crazy theories about what she's really like, and why she actually murdered someone. I STILL refuse to believe that she did it for the money. Anyway, because you can interpret her in so many ways, she ranges from "bad" to "fantastic".

... I rambled a lot more than I thought I would there. Oh well. Now you know.
TwiGav wrote:Some questions about VNs and other, random stuff:

What's so appealing to you about VNs?

What do you like in a VN?

Could you give examples for the VNs that meet your expectations the most? The least?

Finally, what are the VNs that you have recently finished and/or are currently working on finishing?

What is your favorite school subject and why?

If you had to pick any movie to do a "sporking" on, which would it be and why?

What are your favorite activities outside of the technological world?
VNs have a slow pace to them most of the time that I really like. I don't know. There's just something about the genre that I really like, and I feel like Visual Novels tend to get a lot of emotions from me. What I like in VNs... I like well-developed characters. Failing that, I like characters with very amusing interactions, though the two can obviously overlap. Great music is always a plus. And of course I like a lot of comedy, sad moments, and heartwarming moments. I can name a lot of VNs that have met/exceeded my expectations, but there have been a few that have fallen below my expectations. Off the top of my head, I can think of two VNs called Kana Little Sister and Kanon, both of which were extremely important in proving to the world that VNs could bring great emotions to people, but... I don't think they've aged well, I'll say that much. I still appreciate their role in VN history, though. ... Actually, come to think of it, I can think of one more. There's this VN called "Tomoyo After: It's A Wonderful Life" that disappointed me, mostly because it was a sequel (Following the ending of one of the routes, though not the canon one) to Clannad, and... Well, it was nowhere near as good as Clannad and had multiple problems.

Right now, I'm reading a Visual Novel called Rewrite, which is quite possibly the longest VN I have ever read. After Rewrite, I intend to take an extremely long break from VNs due to personal reasons. My favorite school subject is probably History. If I had to spork a movie... I don't watch movies, why are you asking me this...? I guess I'd go with Birdemic 2 though, because I've heard of how bad it is. My favorite activities in real life... Reading, taking walks, talking to friends, and thinking about the philosophical meaning of everything.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Congratulations on being Member of the Month, GuardianDreamer!

Couple questions for you:

You mentioned that Rise from the Ashes (1-5) was your favorite AA case because it made you feel like you "had to keep playing." What specifically did this case have you that felt the others lacked, especially compared to some of the finales like Bridge to the Turnabout (3-5)?
In your estimation, how do mystery pure-VN's compare to mystery game-VN's, like AA and DR?
What in particular did you like about I Wanna Be The Turnabout? Is it anything more than theme relevance?

And to those of you who are reading this and aren't GD: Go play Undying Dream if you haven't yet. It needs more love.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson