July 2013 - Bandit Keith (aka Gourdy)

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Tap
Spoken languages: English

July 2013 - Bandit Keith (aka Gourdy)

Post by Tap »

Member of the Month
July 2013
GuardianDreamer

I wrote my replies... in America.
This is the Member of the Month; an interview that I do at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

I personally select each month's Member of the Month. People are picked based on their contributions to the community, whether they are: making excellent trials, providing comic relief or just being a brilliant person. The next Member of the Month could be you!

If you have any questions about the Member of the Month system, please PM me.
Our next Member of the Month is GuardianDreamer, a member who is more prominently known for his participation in a series of RPs. However, he's also a trial developer, as this interview looks over. For those interested, the "riddle", which was "Crescendo", refers to the Japanese dating sim. And as one of his trials has been compared to a dating sim, I thought it would be obvious. Apparently not...
Tap: Hello, and welcome to the thirty-seventh Member of the Month interview.

GuardianDreamer: Greetings Tap, at your service. I'm honored to be here.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Tell us about how you found AAO, and what made you want to join.

GuardianDreamer: It's hard to believe that it's been about three years since then. I remember discovering the AA series through one of the GameFAQS Top 10 Lists. Which unfortunately spoiled 2-4 for me. Still, I would forget about the series until I saw Apollo Justice in a store once. It was sort of an impulse buy for me, but definitely one I don't regret.

To be honest, me discovering AAO was a bit of an accident. I remember one day wanting to discover what the community was like, but due to personal reasons, I was trying to stay away from GameFAQS for quite a while, so I didn't check the boards there. Instead, I went to Google, and searched up "Ace Attorney Online", since that sounded like it could probably be a notable community. So yeah. Really got lucky there, I suppose.

I'm not sure what made me want to join, to be honest. I only planned on staying for a few months at the most, but then I got caught up in a few roleplays (Most notably SuperGanondorf's RP, Endless Time) so I would have felt guilty if I left, since I was committed to roleplaying. But now, I've grown very close to the community, mostly through the Xat, so now I would stay here even if all the roleplays suddenly died. Though I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. Still, I'm really grateful to SG for creating Endless Time... Without it, I might have left AAO before getting to know a lot of you. Quite the scary thought.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: You recently* released your second (serious) trial, Undying Dream, which has been referred to on a number of occassions as a "possible dating sim". Tell us about the development process, and what went into it.

GuardianDreamer: I'd describe it as more of a "friendship sim with a few romantic elements depending on your interpretation" sim, but that's not quite as easy to remember. Anyway, UD is an independent prequel to my first trial, and it's an idea I had in mind for a while. It started off with me wondering if I could make a trial with a protagonist that seemed more or less like your standard "heroic lawyer" protagonist, but then make them interesting in some way, probably by making them grow as a character. From the feedback I've received so far, I like to think that part was at least mostly successful.

A lot more ideas came to mind, and I wrote them down. While I'd prefer to hold off on some of the details until I've completed the trial (Which I've been procrastinating on a lot. I blame Fire Emblem: Awakening for taking away three months of free time.) I will say that I eventually decided that I would make it more character-driven, rather than focused on the mystery. I decided to do my best to create a trial that I would personally love to play, while hopefully listening to the feedback from my previous trial so that I could avoid repeating the same mistakes.

To complement my own strengths and weaknesses, I decided to make it play like a beginner's trial, something that would be very easy, especially compared to some of the insanely difficult things on this site (that isn't limited to normal trials. I've sworn to never enter the EN thread). I would never be able to keep up with the insane mysteries a lot of AAOers are capable of creating, so I decided to head in the opposite direction instead, which I think was a better move for me in many ways, since a few people actually said it was refreshing to play a trial where they didn't have to resort to using a guide. Despite being a trial, I actually wouldn't count UD as a mystery at all though. If you're looking for a mystery, then I can't really provide one.

Of course, I still have to thank Gumpei and Ping' for making a Competition Prompt that somehow fit the trial that I had in mind. By entering the competition, I was able to gather enough motivation to actually make the case, rather than just letting the idea stay on my mind. I'm a horrible procrastinator, you see. It eventually somehow ended up as a sort of love letter to a lot of Visual Novels I've played, since I was inspired by many Visual Novels as well.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Your first trial was Zodow Zark. What inspired you to develop that case? And it is coincidence that all of your released trials so far were the result of competition prompts? ;)

GuardianDreamer: I'll answer this in the opposite order, because why not? It's definitely no coincidence that my currently released trials are all from competition prompts. The main reason for this is that I find it much easier to pace myself if I have a deadline of some kind. Otherwise I'll just end up procrastinating and I would never do anything. I'm sure there are quite a few writers who feel the same way I do.

As for ZZ, I guess I was inspired by a few of the prosecution-type cases on this site. Mostly ShadowEdgeworth's first case in his Miles Edgeworth series (that seems to be going through a reboot), which was the first trial on AAO I played. I was also inspired by Blader's first trial on this site, which starred Raymond Hope and Glase Canon. It was met with mostly mixed reception, I believe. Mostly because it was constantly on the border between a Comedy and an actual serious trial. My original idea for ZZ (Which was vastly different from the final product) actually was a Comedy, but I tried to make it into a serious trial, since Comedies weren't allowed in the Competition I entered it into. And also because I honestly just made up the crime/plot as I went along, which backfired quite a bit. Still, I was praised for my sense of humor and some of the characters, so I knew what my strengths and weaknesses were. I'll never say that it's the best trial ever, but it holds many fond memories for me.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: But unlike most users, you didn't jump into trial development straight away. I remember "The Highlander Turnabout", and I'm sure you do two! What made you join an RP all those years back?

GuardianDreamer: It was a bit of an impulse, mostly. I remember that the Highlander Turnabout really needed a detective and a prosecutor (Not sure if it was a prosecutor, DA, or something else). So I decided to join as the detective because I thought it would be interesting to see how it would work out. It was quite fun, even if the trial ended up going completely off-the-rails, and it was never actually finished. And also, I really like writing, which I'm sure is obvious.

Tap: Most members think of you as that "RP'ing guy". Why RPs? What's the interest?

GuardianDreamer: What isn't interesting about it? I think it's fascinating to be able to create entire worlds while collaborating with other people. There's just something magical about the ability to create a larger story through the efforts of a lot of people. Done well, a roleplay can honestly seem like an entirely different world where you're allowed to play the role of a character you create from your own thoughts and imagination. Besides, there's something special about creating a character in a roleplay. It might sound a bit odd, but I honestly think of my own RP characters as a close family to me, and while it does cause me to take roleplaying a bit too seriously at times, it's a special feeling that I would never want to replace. I think it's good to have something to be passionate about anyway, even as I grow older.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: I think it's time to ask one of the most anticipated questions of this interview. Do you happen to have a favourite fan trial?

GuardianDreamer: I actually haven't played as many fancases as most people have. Still, if I had to pick out one that I enjoyed above all others, I would have to go with Turnabout Inferno by Truf (now known as deHughes) and Blader (now known as SwagmaWampyr). Truf and Blader will both say that they aren't good at writing Mysteries, but that isn't as important to me as it is with most people here. While playing through the trial, I could just feel how much love and emotion was put into it, mostly through the characters. There was just something about it that made it seem like it was special. Both Truf and Blader are writers I admire greatly, and while the case is on an indefinite hiatus, I still enjoyed what was released so far.

If you don't count incomplete trials, then I'd say that my favorite trial is "I Wanna Be The Turnabout" by Zeel. It's a masterpiece. An evil masterpiece, but still brilliant.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Now let's talk about your personal life. What was your childhood like?

GuardianDreamer: I'm going to assume by "childhood", you mean from when I was born up until I was 10 or so. My memory works in a very strange way. I can remember the most minor and insignificant things very well, but things that should be considered important are hard for me to remember. Still, from what I remember, my parents were always busy with work. They often left me in the care of my uncle, and I ended up befriending one of my cousins. I'd say that I was an extremely shy child. I rarely spoke, even when spoken to. It didn't help that there was always a language barrier between myself and most of my family. (I've explained this in the Rant topic, but for anyone who doesn't know: My family, including my parents, mostly only speak Spanish. I was raised by my uncle for the most part, who always spoke to me in English. Leads to a lot of awkwardness now.)

I also remember my family moving a lot from when I was a young child up until I was a pre-teen, though now we don't move. Like I said, I only remember the most insignificant things. I could tell you all sorts of irrelevant yet amusing stories about my childhood, but not much about things that would normally be remembered. It was definitely not what I'd call a normal childhood, but it did shape me into who I am today.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: That brings me to my next question. What is your average day like?

GuardianDreamer: I'm on summer vacation right now, but since an "average" day would usually be a school day, I'll describe that instead. I wake up very early in order to prepare myself for school. Right now, my current school is within walking distance, but I always wake up very early anyway. It gives me a lot more time to prepare, I suppose. After preparing for school and eating breakfast, I then go to school. I'm extremely committed to always going to school. I have perfect attendance in High School so far.

The school day varies, but I always end up walking home. I usually don't visit my friends unless it's a weekend. Most of the time when I'm home, I end up doing any homework I have first, so that it isn't on my mind later. After that, I'm usually using my computer. Naturally I visit AAO, and I tend to be in the AAO Xat as often as I can. If there are any roleplays that I need to post in, I do my best to post as soon as I can. What I do depends on my mood, but I often write (Usually short stories for myself) or read a Visual Novel, all while listening to video game music, of course. Just randomly surfing the web is also an option. Eventually, I have dinner, and after making sure I've done everything that needs to be done for the day, I go to sleep. That tends to be what a "normal, relaxed" day is like for me, though I often have other things to do instead. I could go into more detail, but I suspect that you'll all use those details to hunt me down and spy on me (No, not really).
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: What are your plans for the future?

GuardianDreamer: I wish I knew the answer to that one. I guess right now, I'm trying to focus on school. I'm mostly in Honors-level classes and I think I'm doing fairly well in them. I'm definitely considering writing a novel one day, but as for my "dream job"... I guess I want to help people. Of course, "help people" is rather vague, as there are multiple jobs that could fit that description, but nothing's really set in stone yet. When school reconvenes for me, I plan on talking to my school's guidance counselor so I can plan this out better. And of course, I plan to always strive to improve myself as a person. I also have some ideas if I ever want to make a Visual Novel of my own, but I'm not sure how likely that is, since it would be quite the commitment.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Which is your favourite Ace Attorney game?

GuardianDreamer: Hm, that's a tough one. Apollo Justice is the one I've played the most, but I'm well-aware of the plot holes that it has (still really fond of some of the characters, though). Maybe the best case would be easier for me. In which case (Pun not intended, but I don't regret it.) I would have to say 1-5. It interested me the most, and it's the only case in the official AA games where I felt like I had to keep playing.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: What other games do you really like?

GuardianDreamer: I could be here all day if I listed them all. I think everyone knows about my undying love towards the Fire Emblem series, and if you count Visual Novels as games, then I could create a very long list. I guess if someone on this thread requests a list of my favorite Visual Novels, I could "try" to make one, but no promises. Anyway, my list... Most things from Nippon Ichi (Their most famous series being Disgaea), Shin Megami Tensei, some Final Fantasy games, Samurai/Dynasty Warriors, a lot of the Mega Man games, Suikoden, BlazBlue, Etrian Odyssey, the Atelier series, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Harvest Moon, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Sly Cooper, Steambot Chronicles, Star Ocean, Der Langrisser, Growlanser, Chrono Trigger, Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, Recettear, Punch-Out!!, some of the Dept Heaven games, Shadow Hearts, Shining Force, Legend of Heroes... I think I'll stop now. I like a lot of games.

I also like a bunch of RPG Maker games and Flash games, but I won't make a list of those unless someone asks about it... But again, no promises.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: What was the first video game you ever played?

GuardianDreamer: I think it was The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, a spin-off to the Mega Man Legends series, starring Tron Bonne (of course) the Ensemble Darkhorse of the Legends series. For those of you who haven't played that game, I'd basically describe it as a collection of minigames, but with an actual storyline. It was definitely pretty fun, and probably the reason why I'm really fond of the Mega Man franchise in general. Though in hindsight, it was certainly odd to have it as my first video game.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: I don't suppose I could get you to comment on anything about American politics?

GuardianDreamer: If I made any comments, I'm sure I'd embarrass myself. I don't consider myself particularly knowledgable about politics. Hm... I guess if I had to say one thing, I'd say that I'm opposed to the two-party system. I'm well aware that there are other more minor political parties, but Democrats and Republicans seem to be the only ones most people take seriously. And it's no secret that members of each party tend to demonize each other, though not all of them, of course. And when you have two parties that have the opposite viewpoints, you feel kind of pressured to pick an extreme.

So yeah. Criticizing the two-party system. Nothing new here, move along.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Last question, now. Do you have any other interests?

GuardianDreamer: I have an interest in the Occult, mythology, reading, writing, butlers, maids, traps, reverse-traps, the attorney's badge, philosophy, tea and taking walks in the rain. Only light rain though. It feels nicer that way.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Before we conclude this interview, do you have anything else you'd like to say?

GuardianDreamer: I want thank everyone here for letting me be a part of this wonderful community, even if my interests don't quite match the norm around here. I've made some very close friendships here, and my time on AAO has seen me grow a lot as a person, and I think it's been for the better. I do genuinely love all of you.

Oh, and remember to join the Cult of the Badge today!
ImageImage
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Re: Member of the Month: July 2013

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! Why am I represented by Bandit Keith of all people? I demand an explanation! (Also, I have no clue why you picked Crescendo of all VNs as a hint.)
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Congrats, GD! You earned it, buddy.

Though, of all things, Crescendo isn't necessarily the first thing to come to mind when thinking of VNs/dating sims or GD... even though chances were that GD played it.

...Ninja'd by the star himself... or herself.
...GD, did we ever discover your actual gender?
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Congrats, GD!~

A few questions:

1. What are your favorite RPG Maker Games?

2. How in the world do you manage to do your homework right after school?!

3. Do you speak any foreign languages/Did you ever learn Spanish well enough to keep up with your parents?

4. Could you tell me an irrelevant, amusing story from your childhood?

5. What color is the blue car?
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Tap

Post by Tap »

GuardianDreamer wrote:Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! Why am I represented by Bandit Keith of all people? I demand an explanation! (Also, I have no clue why you picked Crescendo of all VNs as a hint.)
Because it's amusing. :XD:
And I chose Crescendo because I felt Air or Clannad gave it away a bit too quickly...
ImageImage
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Clannad probably would've been too obvious, but Air might have worked

Also gratz GD!

And the reason you're Bandit Keith is because you're American and your name is Steve. It's too fitting!
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Congrats, GD! (Should've chosen Hatoful or LB, obviously~)

Uhh.... Uhh... What is your favorite food?

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Yo GD congrats

If you had to chose a little busters! route which would it be?
The Fury Wraith
Spoken languages: English, Dutch

Post by The Fury Wraith »

Congratulations, GD. I guess I should ask a question or I'd attract some weird looks, I'm sure...

Uh...

What type of character in any fiction is your favourite? (And with that I mean a character coming close to a certain archtype. Like tough guy, smart guy, jerk, etc.)
Case made by me: Turnabout Retribution
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

DWaM wrote:Congrats, GD! You earned it, buddy.

Though, of all things, Crescendo isn't necessarily the first thing to come to mind when thinking of VNs/dating sims or GD... even though chances were that GD played it.

...Ninja'd by the star himself... or herself.
...GD, did we ever discover your actual gender?
Thank you very much, DWaM. And yeah, I figured that it was a Crescendo reference when I saw the hint, but it did sort of confuse me. I liked Crescendo overall (though I think that it has a lot of flaws you have to get past) but I don't think I ever mentioned it here. And of course you know my gender. LP discovered that I'm a Namekian, remember? Which is totally right.
TwiGav wrote:Congrats, GD!~

A few questions:

1. What are your favorite RPG Maker Games?

2. How in the world do you manage to do your homework right after school?!

3. Do you speak any foreign languages/Did you ever learn Spanish well enough to keep up with your parents?

4. Could you tell me an irrelevant, amusing story from your childhood?

5. What color is the blue car?
Thank you, Gav. As for your questions...

1. Love & War: Act 1, The Way series, The Sword and the Fish, Last Scenario, and The Reconstruction all come to mind. There are plenty of others I liked, but I'd have to say that those are the ones that definitely come to mind when I think of favorite RPG Maker games, though for different reasons.

2. It's much easier for me. If I don't do my homework immediately, I keep getting distracted because I know that I'll have to do it eventually, so in order to focus, I must finish my homework first.

3. My Spanish isn't good enough to communicate with anyone. I can understand what other people are saying (Unless they speak really fast) but I have difficulty reading it. And actually speaking it is very difficult for me.

4. Okay, so once when Arcades still existed, I went to one. It was a good time overall, but something weird happened. You see, this Arcade also had this pizza place in it. Anyway, when I was playing a game near the pizza place (I don't remember the name of the game, but it was one of those machines where you held a toy gun and shot at the enemies)... Something strange happened. There was this guy (Looked like a young adult, but possibly a teen) who ran around with his face covered in pizza, screaming something about aliens. As a child, I assumed that this was totally normal and just ignored it for the most part. That was weird in hindsight. I still wonder what that was about.

5. Azure.
Bad Player wrote:Clannad probably would've been too obvious, but Air might have worked

Also gratz GD!

And the reason you're Bandit Keith is because you're American and your name is Steve. It's too fitting!
Thanks BP. And wait...
Spoiler : YGOTAS Spoilers, I guess :
Does this mean I'm secretly Canadian!? AND my name is Steve?! The world has gone mad...
kwando1313 wrote:Congrats, GD! (Should've chosen Hatoful or LB, obviously~)

Uhh.... Uhh... What is your favorite food?
Thanks Kwando, though I think Little Busters! would have been really obvious. Hatoful might have worked though. Anyway, favorite food... Vanilla ice cream.
Unknown Detective wrote:Yo GD congrats

If you had to chose a little busters! route which would it be?
You have my thanks, Dave. Definitely Refrain, but since that's the final route, that's kind of the obvious pick. If you don't count that, then probably Mio's route.
The Fury Wraith wrote:Congratulations, GD. I guess I should ask a question or I'd attract some weird looks, I'm sure...

Uh...

What type of character in any fiction is your favourite? (And with that I mean a character coming close to a certain archtype. Like tough guy, smart guy, jerk, etc.)
Thank, you, Fury. I'd say that I'm a fan of "weird" characters who make insightful comments... Or in TV Tropes terms, a Cloud Cuckoo Lander. Bonus points if they ever make snarky comments as well. I also like... Hm. I don't know if there's an actual term for them. It's the kind of character who seems like they're just a fanservice-type character (which I tend to dislike) but then reveals that they're actually a deconstruction of that by showing that they hate that they only get attention for their looks. Though that's an archetype that can be pulled off really well or really badly, I think. Also, in general, I prefer soft-spoken characters, though I have nothing against Large Hams who are entertaining. I also like a well-written Atoner-type character.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Oh yeah. Who is your favourite character in SDR2? (Because we already know that Chihiro is your favourite in the DR series.)

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Congrats, GD! Was about time~
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

Conrgatz and what not, so now time for question of quotability.

What is your favorite color?

If you could have a mutation (don't think superhero, imagine having an extra finger) what would it be?

What emotion is the best emotion?
Hersh is officially the best for making this awesome Rogan and Parseline Sig!
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Voodoo the Wobbufett Lv. 14
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Gongrats, GD!
Who do you like to play as most in Smash Bros?
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Congratz, GD.

I'm not sure what to ask at the moment... though wait, I think a new VN recommendation is overdue.
So what is/are your favourite comedic VN/s?