[Community Organised!] February 2014: - Ferdielance

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

Re: MotM February 2014: Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Unagi? Or anago?

Also, favourite book and why?
Unagi. My grandfather always used to bring barbecued eel home, and I and my father would eat it. My mother and sister found it too sweet and greasy, but I have an insatiable sweet tooth.

My favorite book is Mushrooms Demystified, because it's just the best mushroom field guide there is... and a great intro to a lot of naturalism. Plus, the jokes are funny.
What's the story behind your name?
Ferdinand Lance was the prosecutor I played at the now-defunct PhoenixWrightTrials site! A fer-de-lance is a venomous snake, Bothrops lanceolatus.
(comments on differences in game style)

Your thoughts on this line of thought?
I agree that the courtroom scenes of Ace Attorney are almost uniquely geared towards the discovery of truth by confrontation, rather than strict step-by-step logic. I don't think Thought Route is an inherently bad idea, just that it could stand to be a little harder and a little more logically placed in gameplay. Right now, it looks as though court grinds to a halt whenever it happens... but what if a character explicitly had the ability to mentally slow time? Everything in the courtroom would slow down (as appears to happen when we see Apollo use Perceive) and the logic would click into place while the rest of the world operated in slow motion.
- Opinions on the following:
* Baccano!
* Psych
* Starkid musicals (Little White Lie, the A Very Potter Musical Trilogy, Twisted: The Untold Tale of a Royal Vizier, Holy Musical B@man!, etc.)
I have seen none of the above!
Spoiler : DD spoilers :
* What do you think about the localization starting to bite itself in the ass, so to speak? Clearly this is Japan. It could only be more Japan if Athena were wearing a schoolgirl uniform... ohwait. But yeah- at what point does localization actively hinder the work, like here? Because they take up SO MUCH TIME going "yup, those are immigrants. We're totally in America".
I maintain that this is a special version of California in which there was an influx of Japanese immigrants after WWII and the Japanese internments never happened. ALTERNATE HISTORY, GO.
* Florent L'Belle is offensive, and I won't argue that fact. But wasn't Armstrong a victim of circumstance, and not evil? Furthermore, we've had "the fop" villain more times than that- Kristoph Gavin, Redd White, Matt Engarde, so why does Florent get special mention on top of all of them? The only one that I can think of that somewhat counters that are the positive "effeminate" characters Edgeworth and Klavier, and the much more sympathetic Damon Gant (a man who felt powerless top stop crime, so went to extreme measures, and actually takes his punishment with a measure of dignity). Not to say that Klavier and Edgeworth suddenly erase the alarming homophobic, transphobic, fat shaming, slut shaming, gender cap, misogyny, etc., but after my initial response of being offended, I wonder why I, too, was more offended by Florent than others.
Armstrong wasn't evil, but he was definitely portrayed as basically... not a human being, but a butt for jokes with few recognizably sympathetic or even unsympathetic traits. He was a walking (bad) punchline. The kleptomania might have been the most likeable thing about him, and that's pretty sad!

Florent L'Belle is like the other fop villains, but a thousand times worse, because his "effeminacy" is his only character trait for most of his time on screen (until we also get a good look at his greed). Redd White is kind of up there, but Redd White doesn't dress like Klaus Nomi, and Redd White has other quirks, like his malapropisms.[/quote]
- How could AAO broaden their inclusiveness? I mean, we obviously can't have the anime-hating, Japan-loathing (almost as if they don't like the fact that some video games even are produced from there) something awful crowd, as we have (gasp) roleplayers, and (horror!) people that like anime, and (oh, the humanity!) sometimes occasionally reference tropes in Japanese media. We could intensify the fetishization of gay relationships, which clearly fuels a good chunk of the Ace Attorney fanbase, but that might bring in the really intense fujoshi that rabidly and fanatically defend their ships to the exclusion of anyone else that doesn't share their fanatacism. We could put on shades and use the word XTREME a lot, but this isn't the 90's.
All of these are overgeneralizations. There's an anti-anime contingent at somethingawful, but I seem to recall that a fairly major VN translation was done there............................

As for the fangirls, the writing on certain memes is frequently better than the best writing on AAO, and often, though not always, handles those relationships with perspective. So I'm all for bringing in the screaming rabid yaoi fangirls, especially since the most obnoxious of the lot have either grown up or moved on to trendier fandoms.
- Coke has recently come under fire by homophobes and racists for the commercial that had multilingual rendition of America the Beautiful (which is NOT our national anthem, contrary to apparently popular belief) and (oh, my stars!) a gay couple in it for like a fraction of a second (DUN DUN DUNNNN). Thoughts?
The offended are wasting their time and thought, but if they want to broadcast that, let them. I refuse to waste a moment's thought on being offended at their offense.
Something I've been curious about: how exactly does Chinese seem to a foreign newcomer? Is it really overwhelming? Is it hard? What sort of impression does it give? Did you like it? Oh, and how far did you get before you stopped?
It is overwhelming on a few levels. First, it's a fundamentally different way of thinking about words. While my skill at English can easily transfer to Spanish and Romance Languages in general, it falls flat when I try to write even a simple sentence in Chinese. Second, I'm not a very visual person, and those characters are... pretty visual. It was engaging to try, but pushed me a little too hard. Finally, it is phonetically tricky to pick up some of the distinctions between Chinese consonants in speech - the different sibilants, for example. So I got one term in, did okay that term, and then went off to do other things! I might go back to it someday.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Yay Unagi~ <3

I love me my Unagi.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Unagi is so weird ~_~

Sushi or sashimi?

Brave or default?
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

What would you doooo for a Klondike bar?
Ami

Re: MotM February 2014: SS Sleuth

Post by Ami »

SS Sleuth wrote:What would you doooo for a Klondike bar?
Topic closed. Sleuth wins the topic. It's now the SS Sleuth month. <3
since 2008!
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Gah, I'm too busy to read these interviews anymore :-(

I just wanted to highlight something that apparently wasn't brought up.
Have you noticed Ferdie's sign up date ? That's March 8th 2008. Almost a month before AAO was actually translated to English and the English section opened ! :shock:

If I recall correctly, a French member (Zero) had started talking about AAO on the CR forums around that time (even though I was still working on the English translation), and Ferdie was actually the first English-speaking member to sign up on AAO ever, and left a few constructive comments about the site.

So, yeah, even if he wasn't very active until many years later, Ferdie was a founding English member somehow :-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Wolf Speaker
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by Wolf Speaker »

Wow! Can I have your autograph, Ferdie?
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Wolf Speaker wrote:Wow! Can I have your autograph, Ferdie?
^ This.

Also, never said congrats on finally being MotM Ferdie, so congratulations!
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Sushi or sashimi?

Brave or default?
Sashimi, and I haven't played that one yet!
What would you doooo for a Klondike bar?
Actually finish this comp case, somehow.
Gah, I'm too busy to read these interviews anymore :-(

I just wanted to highlight something that apparently wasn't brought up.
Have you noticed Ferdie's sign up date ? That's March 8th 2008. Almost a month before AAO was actually translated to English and the English section opened ! :shock:

If I recall correctly, a French member (Zero) had started talking about AAO on the CR forums around that time (even though I was still working on the English translation), and Ferdie was actually the first English-speaking member to sign up on AAO ever, and left a few constructive comments about the site.

So, yeah, even if he wasn't very active until many years later, Ferdie was a founding English member somehow :-)
Welp, looks like I've been outed! Yeah, I'd actually forgotten about that until someone brought it up in another thread; that was about when I first got into AA fandom! I was always pretty impressed with AAO, but I didn't get into creating cases in this format (as opposed to Trial RP format) for years.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Wolf Speaker
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by Wolf Speaker »

...Looks like no autographs for us, NN. :( Ferdie is too cool for us.
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Well, I had to come up with a Ferdie autograph before I could give one!

Here it is:

kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Time to pawn it and sell it on the internet.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

kwando1313 wrote:Time to pawn it and sell it on the internet.
How could you possibly sell something so amazing, kwand? It is worth TOO MUCH TO MERELY BE SOLD.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

NihilisticNinja wrote:
kwando1313 wrote:Time to pawn it and sell it on the internet.
How could you possibly sell something so amazing, kwand? It is worth TOO MUCH TO MERELY BE SOLD.
Right. I should take their freedom while I'm at it! Good thinking, NN.