Fullmetal Alchemist (2003 and Brotherhood) SPOILERS!!!

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Which did you like better?

2003 version was the best
40%
Brotherhood was the best
30%
I can't decide between the two
30%

Total votes: 10

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Fullmetal Alchemist (2003 and Brotherhood) SPOILERS!!!

Post by TheDoctor »

Discuss both Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood here.

I just recently finished watching both series for the first time, and I really enjoyed them. While I personally think Brotherhood is the superior of the two series, the original seemed to have better pacing early on, with the possible exception of a few filler episodes. If I could somehow manage to take episodes from FMA and somehow fit them into the Brotherhood episode lineup, it would be really awesome, but alas, I lack the time and the patience. (Such a pain)

That said, I absolutely hated FMA's ending. I watched it first, and I really thought it was a horrible ending to the series as well as a terrible way of wrapping up character arcs. Then I watched The Conqueror of Shamballa, and it tacked on an ending that I somehow managed to hate more than the original one.

Compare this to Brotherhood, which I thought actually managed to wrap up everything quite nicely, concluding character arcs appropriately instead of leaving them hanging like the original did with some.

But that's just my opinion, what do you all have to say?
Image Image Image
Reverie

Re: Fullmetal Alchemist (2003 and Brotherhood) SPOILERS!!!

Post by Reverie »

I'm surprised there wasn't a topic for this already, but I guess it all would've just been put into the "Anime & Manga" one.
Anyways, I have the... seemingly unpopular opinion that the original was better, though I will agree about that ending. Haven't seen either of the movies or the OVAs. Overall though, the original would probably be in my top 5 anime, while Brotherhood... could possibly get its way into a top 25.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

One thing about the original that I preferred was Aaron Dismuke as the voice of Alphonse. It was just refreshing to hear a young boy being played by an actual young boy in real life as opposed to the usual practice of using women to voice them. Sadly, since his voice started to crack around the time TCoS was made, it meant he couldn't reprise the role for Brotherhood. Maxey Whitehead did a really good job at sounding similar to Al's original voice (the echo effect helped), but it just wasn't the same.

Yes, for the most part, I prefer dubs. Most of the time, the only time I find myself watching subs is when there's no dub available, or when the dub is so mind-numbingly bad I can't stand to listen to it. Or in the case of Hetalia, because the sub and the dub are two very different shows, so I end up trying to watch both. In the case of Fullmetal, I thought the voices suited the characters really well, so I went with that.
Image Image Image
PhoenixRises123

Post by PhoenixRises123 »

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the series, but in my opinion I can't really compare both the 2003 version and brother-hood. I mean, I CAN! they both have their equal pros and cons, but there's really no 'version' that is better.. One thing that I liked about Brother-hood is that it introduced May Chang and Lin from Xing, further expanding the world of Fullmetal Alchemist other than Amestris. But what I think, what the original did better was the soundtrack. Going with all different styles, I personally like the opening theme music of FMA 'better' than Brother-hood, Like number 4 rewrite, and number 2 ready, steady, go! Still I think both of them are amazing to this day...