Ace Attorney Anime

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Re: Ace Attorney Anime

Post by Singidava »

Oh right. I bursted out laughing at the beginning when I saw that sweater lol.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

nick why are you on the wrong side of the courtroom
lazyplague
Spoken languages: English

Post by lazyplague »

This is the best hype trailer for the Ace Attorney game I've seen. Kept just enough out to make the actual game still seem interesting.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Am I the only person who was disappointed?
Spoiler : :
Pacing is way off, only one Objection, ****ing Yuki Kaji is in it, and as if that wasn't bad enough, he's completely miscast, colour palette is weird and looks particularly low-budget, the CG gallery sticks out like a sore thumb, and the directing is bad in general.

Also, the OST is really cheesy. As is the OP. I liked the ED though.
Honestly it's not horrendous or anything, but it's FAR from what this series deserved.
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Lind wrote:Am I the only person who was disappointed?
Pacing is way off, only one Objection, ****ing Yuki Kaji is in it, and as if that wasn't bad enough, he's completely miscast, colour palette is weird and looks particularly low-budget, the CG gallery sticks out like a sore thumb, and the directing is bad in general.

Honestly it's not horrendous or anything, but it's FAR from what this series deserved.
Only reason I wasn't disappointed was because I went in with extremely low expectations, and boy was I right. This is not the adaptation we needed nor deserved. I think I will stick to the the Ace Attorney movie for now.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Lind wrote:Am I the only person who was disappointed?

You have no idea how many rants I went on about this episode. I actually basically hate it.
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

To me the show's like...two people giving a crap in an inevitable firestorm. This is a video game adaptation by a studio famous for outsourcing animation and likely a lot of producer decisions, with a less than trustworthy game company involved, a timeslot that mystery shows are just sorta slapped in (replacing Kindaichi and airing before Detective Conan), and little to no actual advertising. It's pretty clear to me that the show is basically just something some executive wanted to happen or something and got put out cheap to a studio that'll take basically anything and it's just sorta being made to be like...made. The show has so much on it to basically screw the entire thing over and expectations, for as much as I've been excited as hell for the show, have basically been very very low for weeks. Like I expected the animation to be worse and the adapting to be clunkier. I expected to like it no matter what because my tolerance is inhuman, but I expected it to be basically crap.

So it's the fact that the show seems to be led by someone who actually seems to care about making something decent that really sells it to me. Interviews with Ayumu Watanabe and Shu Takumi have been interesting, as Watanabe definitely seemed interested in exploring the characters and giving the fans of the show something enjoyable and even went to Takumi a LOT more than Takumi expected and got him super involved in the show. They said they talked about aspects of it for hours even. And I do feel like the show's being directed to at least capture the characters and capture the sense of fun from the games. What really made me enjoy it, fall in love with it even, was that I felt that for as clunky as the whole thing is there's a sense to me that there's someone who actually wants it to be good in charge. It's all sort of a trainwreck, but someone cares about it enough to at least try and get the vibe right. Like I can genuinely believe that at least Watanabe wants this to be fun. I'm fully aware that's not enough to justify the show for some people, I totally understand disliking it and the general reaction has been either "I love it", "It's terrible", or "It's terrible and I love it". But Iunno, I feel like this is a trainwreck that could have been much worse but someone actually cared enough to consult the creator constantly and try to capture the heart of the series and add in cute details like Trucy in the chalk in the OP or the sweater in Phoenix's apartment and just generally give something at least SOME of the fans will like regardless of the obvious production hell involved here. There's a sense of heart in it somewhere, and that sense of heart is what really drew me to the Ace Attorney series in general, so seeing it animated is so surreal it just sorta makes me feel giddy.

So tl;dr, its production is pretty crap, but it could've been a lot worse and I feel the director cares about it, so if nothing else I'm not PERSONALLY disappointed. But I'm the guy who doesn't dislike a single case and maybe even character in the series, so I'm probably pretty blinded by bias, but like...whatever. Not particularly trying to start a debate or anything btw, just felt like articulating my own personal reasons for responding to this episode as I have.

Here's the OP set to Death Note's first theme it's great.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

It's basically what I expected. Production qualities could be higher, but... meh, I don't really care too much about those things. Honestly, I don't think AA is something that adapts to anime very well. There are certain moments that are great, but doing the story as a whole... The plot and cases were developed to be games, and I think it shows. So this might sound a bit silly upon first hearing it, but I think the best way to anime AA is with the pachinko machines.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

i'm sure konami would very much agree with you, bp

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

I like the Pachinko animations because they do things super over the top with fun direction and such, the Gant animation is great especially. But my issue with them is that the characters don't really come through in them, which is what I love about the anime. I mentioned before on chat but Dahlia and Manfred in particular really bug me in the Pachinko animations. Manfred throwing his head back and laughing like a supervillain, Dahlia acting more like something from Mean Girls than one of the most terrifying characters in the series. I like them enough for what they are but I don't think they're particularly good for the characters, which is what I love Ace Attorney most for and, again, my main draw to the show. If you just want quick highlights with the sense of the game's intensity it may be a better pick, but Iunno, the characterization just sorta bugs me.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Well, rushing through the story in the anime also kinda cuts out from the characterizations.

and i don't know what you're talking about manfred laughing like a supervillain is great
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

I mean exaggerated personality is better than no personality at all.
Payne, The Cardboard Cardboard.
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

The anime's been mostly good with the personalities so far. I'll concede Payne didn't have too much personality in the episode, though hopefully he gets a bit more come the adaptation for Lost Turnabout, though if nothing else he didn't feel not like Payne. Other characters have been pretty great so far, though; Phoenix is a bit more serious thus far than in the games but gets his little dweeby moments like his stupid bicycle and raising his hand to point out a contradiction he hasn't even found yet. Frank Sahwit was great, more enjoyable than in the game even since he's capable or more than like 4 faces. And freaking Larry was pretty much the best thing in the episode. I like the little characterization bits most, really, they feel in character and it just sorta gives me a big smile. I just don't care for the personalities much in the Pachinko machine because they don't feel too much like the characters to me, which they don't necessarily need to, but I just like the little things. Again, it's not really a point I'm really going to argue because I do totally understand not caring for the anime, but it's the stuff I personally like that makes me super giddy over the whole thing.

Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Of course, the most important character to properly get in 1-1 is Mia, which I don't think the anime really did. I probably would have taken out the penalty convo in favor of cutting less of Mia's iconic/important lines.

Doing the highlights in the pachinko machine captured the characters' personalities just fine imo. ...Well, for the most part. Dahlia doesn't work as well when you skip literally the entire "nice girl" act, but I still think in general Ace Attorney (when not in game form) lends itself better to highlights, rather than simultaneously rushing and dragging through the plot and characters.

and the anime totally ruined frank's characterization, he didn't even through his toupee
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Bad Player wrote: and the anime totally ruined frank's characterization, he didn't even through his toupee
the VAs kept calling him "Hoshio Yamano" like seriously guys you couldn't get the name right what the hell. If this keeps up I'm throw with this anime.