Anime Exchange Roulette! ROUND 6

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Re: Anime Exchange Roulette! ROUND 3

Post by TheDoctor »

So I have Detective School Q, huh? Should be interesting enough, I suppose.
Image Image Image
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

gotMLK7 wrote:
Bad Player wrote:Evo has already been sacrificed once...

so you should give her Love Live again, in order to minimize casualties.
Karmic retribution.
It'd only be karmic retribution if I didn't have a back-up roulette anime waiting to go
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Oh cool, I get Erased.

I actually wanted to get Love Live lololol

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

i'll trade you
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Nope~

You will watch the moe dancing and singing~

and determine Maki is indeed best girl

On a serious note, if you really legitly don't want to watch, I don't mind switching...

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Not quite the result I was hoping for, but the important thing is that it wasn't Love Live.

Now, can we all agree to stop suggesting Love Live already? Two victims were enough.

Also, BP, is SZS was your leftover, does that mean you watched Crest of the Stars? How was it?

Also thank you for Nodame
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Oh, looks like I get to finish watching Kaiji this time... That's nice. Now how far in was I again...?

*googles it*

Around ep 10, I think.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Lind wrote:Also, BP, is SZS was your leftover, does that mean you watched Crest of the Stars? How was it?
I intended to write a longer review but since I've put it off so much I guess I'll just give you a shorter one now

It felt like Crest of the Stars was made by two different people.

The first one was in charge of the characters, and had a real knack for creating fun characters that work well together. He knew how to craft their dialogue to make it sound like how a real person would respond to something, or create an interesting conversation between two people, or have the characters grow and change over time.

The second one was in charge of the setting and the plot, and was a no-talent hack who decided to make the show sci-fi cuz whatever, and just threw in a bunch of generic sci-fi plot/setting elements because that's the way he wanted it to be, and it didn't really matter if it fit into the world. (I'd have more examples if the show was fresher in my head, but the big one: they go on and on over the entire series about how everyone else hates the Abh and thinks they're monsters and everything, but... the Abh do almost nothing when they "conquer" a planet, and have a super hands-off approach that effectively changes nothing for the people living there. We are never given a single reason to justify all the hate they.)

It was adapted from a book series, so maybe the novels are better at world-building. But as far as I'm concerned, the anime is a really good coming-of-age-story that takes place in a really mediocre sci-fi world.

also i don't get why you people seem to think i'm actually going to watch love live
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

dont worry soon we'll be able to suggest Love Live! Sunshine!! which im sure will be just as good
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Gankutsuou huh, upon reading the description, this seems to be right up my alley.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Gombarry
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, 日本語のはなしています。

Post by Gombarry »

Well, finished Kaiba. I wish there was more cause I definitely enjoyed it. As Gatchaman was good at building its characters, Kaiba absolutely excelled at its world building. It made me wonder what I would do if I hade access to that kind of technology and did an excellent job of making me care for the side plots it had along it's main story. That being said the main story was probably it's biggest flaw. The plot in and of inself was pretty bare bones until the end. Once it got there it became extremely convoluted and kinda left me confused. If it weren't for the increbile world it took place in and it's very decent sude plots, I probably wouldn't have stuck around. Don't get me wrong though, I think this anime is great and I'd definitely recommend. However it can escape a lot of people if they are not into the kind of philosophical writing style.

Other than that there's nothing but positives. There's a great soundtrack and OP on top of its world building. Definitely checl it out if you haven't.
Holy Turnabout: Part 1 Coming Soon!
Creator of Minoru Akihiro and Jake Atari in Endless Time
Creator ofAntonio Fernandez Carriedo and plays Claudine Leferve in Final Warfare
Creator of Zorro in Redemption at Spirit Isle
Creator of Luke Andrews in Desertia
Creator of Xamen Yem in Infinite Odyssey
Shadowsleuth wrote:BE UNHAPPY DARN IT!
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Finished Nodame. Very impressed, although I sincerely wish I had not seen Your Lie in April before watching it, because despite Nodame being significantly better (like, A LOT better), it makes Nodame's production job seem kind of shoddy, especially the copious amounts of horrendous 3D. Also, a lot of choices in art direction here seem to be copied almost directly from its sister series Honey & Clover, made by the same studio on the same timeslot one year prior. On the other hand, Shichiro Kobayashi's backgrounds here are as good as ever, and his character shots are striking (especially noticable in the final performance).

What made this anime work for me, though, were the characters. Nodame is hilarious, and surprisingly relatable in her attitude against people trying to decide her life for her, and Shinichi is a loveable jerk with a heart of gold. But what I liked most was how the background cast all seemed to have lives of their own playing out in the background, independant of the protagonists.

Picking up Yuuki Yuna now. I have heard literally nothing about this show ever, so it'll be interesting going in blind.
Gombarry wrote:Well, finished Kaiba. I wish there was more cause I definitely enjoyed it. As Gatchaman was good at building its characters, Kaiba absolutely excelled at its world building. It made me wonder what I would do if I hade access to that kind of technology and did an excellent job of making me care for the side plots it had along it's main story. That being said the main story was probably it's biggest flaw. The plot in and of inself was pretty bare bones until the end. Once it got there it became extremely convoluted and kinda left me confused. If it weren't for the increbile world it took place in and it's very decent sude plots, I probably wouldn't have stuck around. Don't get me wrong though, I think this anime is great and I'd definitely recommend. However it can escape a lot of people if they are not into the kind of philosophical writing style.

Other than that there's nothing but positives. There's a great soundtrack and OP on top of its world building. Definitely checl it out if you haven't.
Yeah, Kaiba is definitely flawed, and it is pretty disappointing how rushed it was considering the relative perfection of the first seven episodes or so. Really ought to have been given a two-cour run to properly flesh out its story, possibly mixing it in better with the episodic vignettes about planet-hopping that constituted the first half.

Regardless, it's still a great example of Yuasa Masaaki's exceptional directing talent, and explores its concept fantastically. I loved the moment in particular where
Spoiler : :
Poppo realises that through his greed and ambition, he has lost everyone he shares his past with, shown through the same backstory scene with increasingly few characters in it each time he sees it until he is all alone.
If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching The Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong the Animation, two other works by the same director which I consider his masterpieces. His other works, Kick-Heart, Mind Game, and Kemonozume are also worth checking out.
Bad Player wrote:
Lind wrote:Also, BP, is SZS was your leftover, does that mean you watched Crest of the Stars? How was it?
I intended to write a longer review but since I've put it off so much I guess I'll just give you a shorter one now

It felt like Crest of the Stars was made by two different people.

The first one was in charge of the characters, and had a real knack for creating fun characters that work well together. He knew how to craft their dialogue to make it sound like how a real person would respond to something, or create an interesting conversation between two people, or have the characters grow and change over time.

The second one was in charge of the setting and the plot, and was a no-talent hack who decided to make the show sci-fi cuz whatever, and just threw in a bunch of generic sci-fi plot/setting elements because that's the way he wanted it to be, and it didn't really matter if it fit into the world. (I'd have more examples if the show was fresher in my head, but the big one: they go on and on over the entire series about how everyone else hates the Abh and thinks they're monsters and everything, but... the Abh do almost nothing when they "conquer" a planet, and have a super hands-off approach that effectively changes nothing for the people living there. We are never given a single reason to justify all the hate they.)

It was adapted from a book series, so maybe the novels are better at world-building. But as far as I'm concerned, the anime is a really good coming-of-age-story that takes place in a really mediocre sci-fi world.

also i don't get why you people seem to think i'm actually going to watch love live
Mostly agreed, although while the universe was generic the way it was used was quite impressive and made the setting more immersive in particular how they regularly reference things that only exist in-universe during casual cconversation.

But yes, Lafiel and Jinto are the core of this series and are absolutely the reason I love this series as much as I do.
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

I finished Ghost Hound. I enjoyed it, though I'd definitely recommend taking it slow. As in... An episode or two a day. I can't imagine marathoning it, personally.

Also Singi is a huge liar. Saying she doesn't like "moe" stuff and then recommending me this show with such a cute main character. I wanted to hug him.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Reporting in that I finished Gankutsuou. Started off a bit slow for my tastes, but once the plot kicked in, I fell in love with the story.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

GuardianDreamer wrote:I finished Ghost Hound. I enjoyed it, though I'd definitely recommend taking it slow. As in... An episode or two a day. I can't imagine marathoning it, personally.

Also Singi is a huge liar. Saying she doesn't like "moe" stuff and then recommending me this show with such a cute main character. I wanted to hug him.
I marathoned it... lol. Anyway, glad you liked it.