How to use GitHub to host music and sfx

Find detailed help from the AAO community, or write your own tutorials.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

EeveeGymLeader
Spoken languages: English

Re: How to use GitHub to host music and sfx

Post by EeveeGymLeader »

I think somewhere from step 4 and below step 4. Maybe even a little of part 3.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Let's try step four, making the repository. Do you see a panel that looks like this when you are logged into the main page of GitHub? It should be on the righthand side. The important thing is the green "New repository" button. You'll need to click that.

If you don't see that, then make sure that you're logged in.
Spoiler : Large Image :
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
EeveeGymLeader

Post by EeveeGymLeader »

Yes I can see that.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Okay, good. Make your repository as it says on the first page, and then use the Desktop add you downloaded to save the project, as it says in the first post.

I'm afraid that until I get a better idea of where you're stuck, the best I can do is tell you to move forward with the instructions until we figure out where the problem is.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Jofe
Spoken languages: Français [100%], English [70%]

Post by Jofe »

Is this the only viable solution?
Because Kiwi6 really sucks (since last week, my files work completely randomly, and according to my research, this is not the first time), and 1GB is pretty limited for all my projects (because I imagine we cannot do more, it would be too simple :hotti: ).
Image Image Image Image Image
EeveeGymLeader

Post by EeveeGymLeader »

https://i.imgur.com/PhuceVf.png
https://i.imgur.com/wXEVO90.png
I believe this is the issue I am running towards related to this.
Sonnie Celanna

Post by Sonnie Celanna »

Does this still work now? Cause i'm positive i've done everything properly and yet it still doesn't seem to work, i've been fighting with it throughout the entire night and only once did it play properly, but then immediately after it stopped playing again.
S. Cel :april: :pearlhappy:
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I'd be astounded if it didn't work anymore. Send me the link to your trial that is acting up, and I can take a look.
PersonMan234

Post by PersonMan234 »

I think I did something wrong, I did all of these however I accidentally started the syncing a bit earlier than I should've and it won't let me sync it again.

Whenever I type in my song it doesn't work, can you help me with this?
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

You need to be more specific about "Whenever I type in my song it doesn't work". What are you typing in? Where are you typing it in? How do you know the song "doesn't work"?
PersonMan234

Post by PersonMan234 »

Nevermind, I solved the problem by using Google Drive and than extracting the songs via a Drive extractor, so it's fine now.
NoobAML
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by NoobAML »

5 years since the post. :shock:
So, I have a little doubt.
About the commit message part, what do you mean by sync?
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

After committing, you need to sync so that what's on your computer syncs with what's on the github server. There should be a button somewhere for syncing. I have it in the top right, but my version is old. I don't know if it's different from yours. Regardless the button should be somewhere.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
delta_alb
Spoken languages: English, Albanian

Post by delta_alb »

uh idk how github works so this might sound weird but

what is a commit message and summary textbox
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

delta_alb wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:00 pm uh idk how github works so this might sound weird but

what is a commit message and summary textbox
Assuming you're following the steps in the OP, you should have Github desktop installed. If not, look for the link in the OP. While using this program (again, following the instructions in the OP), a commit message is what you put in the box on the bottom-left where it says "Summary (required)". If you don't see that, you've messed up somewhere along the way.

The point of github is to take a folder on your computer and duplicate it onto Github's own servers. So whenever you change a file or anything in that folder, you can use github desktop to "commit" that change, which is basically saying "Okay, I want this change to also happen to the online versions of the files". There needs to be a message attached to this, explaining what you're changing. The point of that is to encourage programmers to keep track of what changes they're making and why. If you're just adding one file, it'll usually fill that in for you automatically. Otherwise, you'll have to leave some kind of message. But the message is only for your own benefit, so don't think too hard about it. Then you have to "sync" your committed changes with github to send the changed files over and have them make the proper changes on the online version.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)