Art Questions and Answers:

Read and write tutorials about becoming a great artist.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Re: Art Questions and Answers:

Post by Singidava »

mAc Chaos wrote:Here's a question. How do you guys make your animated sprites without having the edges of the lines be all jaggy?

It seems there is no way around it with GIFs and yet I see sprites that don't have that problem.
I'm assuming you want to anti-alias the edges of your sprites. Most likely you want pixels to have partial transparency so that the sprite "melts" into the background. However, in .gif this is plain impossible. Gifs have only binary transparency. The format does not support partial transparency. In theory, you could choose the border colors so that they fit the background you're intending to use. However, this also means you can't change the background freely.

The only way I can think of to actually implement this is to save the frames in a different format (.png for example) and loop through them with a separate script but this, of course, animates it only within that specific program or script (eg. a game or a webpage with javascript).
mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Post by mercurialSK »

Animated .PNGs support partial transparency, but they only work in Firefox (in other browsers they will freeze at the first frame).
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

.APNGs work with chrome with a plugin. The problem with them is that 1) they don't work with the v5 player and 2) the files are much, much larger than a comparable .gif
nahu0093
Spoken languages: Español y algo de ingles

Post by nahu0093 »

There is a guide for sprites from 0 cont phothoshop, Gimp or Paint.net?
IUndercoverTroll

How would I make an area redder?

Post by IUndercoverTroll »

I would like to know how to use paint.net to make and area redder, like when using Luminol.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Merged to Art Questions and Answers.

I use GIMP, not Paint.net, but apply a semi-transparent red layer on the background.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
maroufsalamv1

Thought Route Complete text

Post by maroufsalamv1 »

The thought route/ Revisualization is pretty neat, but the text at the end is what i'm having trouble with. How do I do that?
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I know that TheDoctor did thought route text for one of his cases. He did it in a different style, but it may be worth asking him how he did it.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I'll have to look that up later. I can't remember what font I used. That said, I didn't bother using the text for the midsection of the thought route. Too much animation and text customization involved.
Image Image Image
Sajaki
Spoken languages: English, Limited Deutsche

Investigae.

Post by Sajaki »

How do I add something like a dead body in a investigation photo.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Art questions go to the art questions topic.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Sajaki wrote:How do I add something like a dead body in a investigation photo.
Are there pictures to start off with or are you asking something like how to draw one in?
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

TheDoctor wrote:I'll have to look that up later. I can't remember what font I used. That said, I didn't bother using the text for the midsection of the thought route. Too much animation and text customization involved.
Kind of late with this one, but I used Sardonyx font for the Thought Rought resolution. Better late than never.
Image Image Image
Sajaki
Spoken languages: English, Limited Deutsche

Post by Sajaki »

I'm asking how I can draw them in?
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Sajaki wrote:I'm asking how I can draw them in?
Most common method I see around here is to find a background location that works and to draw it in. Working from a larger picture and then resizing it (GIMP has Lanczos resizing method, otherwise Bicubic Sharper) can improve the quality of the final image a bit...kinda...depends on the situation tbh.

But yeah, working with things that involve backgrounds is when there's another whole level of technical detail that makes stuff more complicated than just normal drawing. If you wanna learn how to do it properly it'll take maybe two months to get decent?
Another thing you could try is giving SketchUp a go, I used it for the crime scene in my fangame.

It's a broad topic, hopefully this answered something at least, lol..