Official AAO Competition: The Sound of Music (RESULTS!)

Compete with other members to create the best art following a given theme.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Official AAO Competition: The Sound of Music (RESULTS!)

Post by gotMLK7 »

Wooooah, Wooooah, I'm...Radioactive, Radioactive!
Song Used: "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons

For the new sprite competition, you will have to take inspiration from a new source...

THE SOUND OF MUSIC
The results are in!
The winner is...
ImageImage
7. Lind, "Goin' Out West" by Tom Waits

Congratulations, Lind! You win the sprite competition (again)! If you want to, you can start the next competition yourself; if not, you're allowed to pass on it and hand the honor down to your runner-up (runner-ups can pass it down as well).

Congratulations to our other entrants:

2nd Place
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
5. Hesseldahl, "Butterfly on Your Right Shoulder" by Rin Kagamine

3rd Place
ImageImage
ImageImage
4. enigma, "Buried Alive" by Creature Feature
and
6. Silver Glas, "Phoenix" by Daft Punk

4th Place
ImageImageImageImage
1. Dataman, "You're Going Down" by Sick Puppies

5th Place
3. backburner26, "Turn Down for What" by DJ Snake and Lil Jon (Airhorn Remix by Dolphanatic)

6th Place
2. SkinnyWhiteBoy, "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" by Cake
Spoiler : Voting Post :
The voting period begins now!

Here are the entries. You may vote for TWO entries by listing their numbers in bold.

Voting closes at December 13th, 11:59PM PST. Any votes made after this point will not be counted.

The entries:
Spoiler : Original Post :
Hey hey hey, AAO! Been a while since I've hosted one of these babies; last time was back in early 2011 believe it or not, back in the very first sprite competition not hosted by a moderator (well, I wasn't one at the time at least). And let me say, it's good to be back! But I couldn't make my triumphant return to hosting without an interesting topic. So that's why it's time for something new, something we've never had in a competition like this before. This is The Sound of Music Sprite Competition!

In this contest, you must create a sprite of an original character or an edit of an existing AA character based on or inspired by a song. For example, the character I sprited at the top of the page is inspired by the song Radioactive by Imagine Dragons, so I designed him like he was in a radioactive apocalypse. The concept is similar to the Music into Characters forum game, and you'll be taking inspiration from a song to create your sprite for the competition!

You will post your entries with both the sprite you created and the song you based it on in your post, shown in the example above. You can also post explanations for your designs if you want; lyricless songs are allowed, but you may have to explain your thought process more if you go that route.

You are allowed to make edits or outfits of existing characters or create new original characters for your entry, but do not simply sprite a character from the song's source material. If you use the Pirates of the Carribean theme, you can't make a sprite of Jack Sparrow; it goes against the creativity of the competition!

You may use characters from GK2 and DD, but do not use spoiler poses.

Keep songs and sprites appropriate. Do not use songs that are all about sex and drugs or filled with curse words.

Character submission will be until December 1st, 11:59PM PST.
Good luck and enjoy the music, everybody!
Last edited by gotMLK7 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Re: Official AAO Competition: The Sound of Music

Post by Broocevelt »

Thread marked as an announcement. Good luck to all the participants!
Liyu
Spoken languages: France, English, Deutschland

Post by Liyu »

Ooh, this competition is very original! I don't know if I want participate...
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Bump to remind people this exists ;-;
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

~Dataman~
Spoken languages: English and finnish.

Post by ~Dataman~ »

ImageImageImageImage

So, I did this. :D The song this is based on: You're going down by Sick Puppies. :pearlhappy:
My DeviantArt My Youtube Channel
Anime is awesome! Watch my Anime Sword Techniques series in my Youtube channel! Currently I have covered Gatotsu, Yontoryu, Santoryu, Hiten Mitsurugi, Seven Swords Dance, Wattoujutsu, Scissorblade, Kamiya Kasshin and more is coming! :)

My Art Thread
Sleuth
Spoken languages: English

Post by Sleuth »

...mmmm. I almost want to do one based off the new Mystery Skulls MV but I suppose that'd be cheating...
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

~Dataman~ wrote:Image
ImageImageImageImage

So, I did this. :D The song this is based on: You're going down by Sick Puppies. :pearlhappy:
i don't know what i'm looking at but i love it
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

~Dataman~ wrote:Image
ImageImageImageImage

That's...certainly a thing. xD
Also, make sure you remember to link to the song in your post for convenience!

Broocevelt

Post by Broocevelt »

I advise you to be careful about the contents of the songs. If you believe they are inappropriate considering our concern with swear words and such, don't provide a link to it, refer to it with the title and artist. This is to avoid getting anyone in trouble for something as silly as a genuine entry :) Of course, I am not saying you can't base a sprite on a song with some inappropriate details. As long as that is not reflected in the sprites themselves, it all depends on the host.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Danielinhoni wrote:I advise you to be careful about the contents of the songs. If you believe they are inappropriate considering our concern with swear words and such, don't provide a link to it, refer to it with the title and artist. This is to avoid getting anyone in trouble for something as silly as a genuine entry :) Of course, I am not saying you can't base a sprite on a song with some inappropriate details. As long as that is not reflected in the sprites themselves, it all depends on the host.
Well, there goes my plan to sprite "Big Man With A Gun" by Nine Inch Nails.
Broocevelt

Post by Broocevelt »

Well as I said, as long as the sprite itself isn't inappropriate, it should be alright. Just don't post the lyrics / link to them :P

(Although I'm guessing it's a joke xP Still have to clarify this stuff)
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Danielinhoni wrote:Well as I said, as long as the sprite itself isn't inappropriate, it should be alright. Just don't post the lyrics / link to them :P

[sarcasm]No, it absolutely was not a joke and I was totally going to personnify one of the most screwed-up songs in history. My backup plans included "Too Drunk to ****" by the Dead Kennedys, "**** Tha Police" by N.W.A, "So What" by the Anti-Nowhere League, "Angel of Death" by Slayer, "Bodies" by the Sex Pistols, "Closer", also by Nine Inch Nails, and the entire discography of GG Allin.[/sarcasm]
Broocevelt

Post by Broocevelt »

Once again as I said, I just have to clarify this stuff xP Don't want to have any loose ends here.
SkinnyWhiteBoy
Spoken languages: English

Post by SkinnyWhiteBoy »

I've made an entry. Behold!

Inspired by "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" by Cake
There is nothing of interest in this signature, keep scrolling.
Mr. Onizuka
Spoken languages: English, Español

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Lind wrote:
Danielinhoni wrote:Well as I said, as long as the sprite itself isn't inappropriate, it should be alright. Just don't post the lyrics / link to them :P

[sarcasm]No, it absolutely was not a joke and I was totally going to personnify one of the most screwed-up songs in history. My backup plans included "Too Drunk to ****" by the Dead Kennedys, "**** Tha Police" by N.W.A, "So What" by the Anti-Nowhere League, "Angel of Death" by Slayer, "Bodies" by the Sex Pistols, "Closer", also by Nine Inch Nails, and the entire discography of GG Allin.[/sarcasm]
Make a "Bite it you scum" live sprite character, and you'll be AAO's all time hero.

It might start a new era of fancases. The Bright Age of the Law is in your hands! :gray: