[Bug][E][P] Fade In/Out Popup Display Issue

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

[Bug][E][P] Fade In/Out Popup Display Issue

Post by enigma »

When a fade in/out has been set as a popup, they will flicker or won't load properly. This is true for both apngs and svgs. Is there a way of fixing this? Is there an explanation for this? Since fades have become an important part of trials on AAO, it would be extremely helpful if this could be fixed so that using fades as popups will work. This is a problem I have witnessed, as well as others.

These are the apng fades that were used:

Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

Re: [Bug][E][P] Fade In/Out Popup Display Issue

Post by Ferdielance »

Enthalpy is working on a fade fixer program that replaces pop-up fades with object-based fades mostly automatically. Until we've finished testing it - something I've fallen behind on - they need to be fixed manually.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

From what he told me over xat, enigma's problem is closer to "WHY do we have to use objects instead of popups"?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Could I have an ingame example, so that I can check this ?

Yes, popups should appear instantly (if there's no other element taking time to load on the screen).
Because Objects are displayed before popups, object-based fades might work a little better in practice, but in theory there shouldn't be a difference. So if it's really a problem I have to check what I can do to optimise it.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/V6_Test ... l_id=65091

Link to an example of the bug for popups, for fade-ins. An example for the .apng extension and .svg extension have been included.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Well, of course, when neither format is really supported, there is bound to be some problems...

What I can see in testing is that :
  • In Firefox, APNG works fine, though the first time it appears it can take a short while to load
  • In Chrome, SVG works fine, though the first time it appears it can take a short while to load
=> In both cases, the first thing I can improve is the preloading, which apparently still is not working properly.

However :
  • In Firefox, SVG animates... until it randomly decides not to. It's very unstable, and when it blocks, restarting the trial does not change anything - the only solution is to clear cache.
  • In default Chrome, APNG does not animate since it's not supported
  • In Chrome with APNG extension, APNG will animate correctly but after a short delay, because that's how the extension works : the first frame of the animation is displayed normally by chrome, then the extension detects that it's supposed to be animated and does the work, but it's not instantaneous.
    Though this should not cause any flickering, since the first frame is displayed while waiting; the fade is just delayed by around 0.4s I would say.
So yeah, while there is room on improvement for preloading (I'll try to work on that), I should mention again that these formats are not supposed to be supported ;-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

The fades seem to be working fine now? Is anybody observing a problem of this kind? If not, I'll likely close this until a report surfaces.