[Suggestion] [E][P] Implementing Perceive for v6.1

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

[Suggestion] [E][P] Implementing Perceive for v6.1

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I know that Investigations is on the menu for 6.1. Not sure about Logic Chess. But I might as well put in a ticket for 6.1 for perceive.

So, most perceive sequences take place during a CE sequence. So how does one try to make a perceive sequence during a CE without resorting to dirty tricks?

My idea is to have it integrated with the CE block. Add a tab for CE block for perceive. Under settings, there should be two checkboxes, one grayed out until the other has been checked. The two checkboxes are "Perceive available?" and "Perceive available from start?". There should be an added action called "Activate perceive" and "Deactivate perceive" under "edit game environment", where the argument for those action is the CE block in question.

In the CE block itself, EVERY statement should have a checkbox on the statement asking if perceive is available for this statement. If it is, then it puts a perceive tab over the statement. In this respect, when one goes to the statement, there will be tabs for pressing and perceive.

For the perceive part, there should be a checkbox asking "Twitch on this statement?". If yes, the author will have to supply two images: regular perceive sprite and twitch perceive sprite. Then, the author will have to, via examine popup, define the area of the twitch. If the twitch is NOT on the statement, then the author will just have to supply the regular perceive sprite. Then, there will be three lines of dialogue for the player to examine, because most perceive sequences have 3 parts. Next to those three input boxes will be a radio button for twitch, which will be grayed out if the author does not check off "twitch on this statement". If the twitch is on the statement, the author will click the radio button where the twitch is. The author can fill in the three lines in the input box.

After all that, there should be a preview screen so that the lines from the statement look correct. If it looks wrong, the author can go back to the line in question and add a [#n] tag to force that line to go to the next line.

For failure conversations, the main perceive tab should have a "failure conversation" line AND a "quit conversation" line.

If this plays correctly on the Player, there should be an eye overlay at the bottom with the ability to move around via arrows or something. The text box will be transferred down there. Each part of the perceive statement should start out gray and gradually become orange until completed. Once that part of the perceive statement is completed, that part of the perceive statement turns green and the next one loads up, just like in the games. Once all three parts of the statement have been loaded AND completed, there should be a two choice prompt to either restart the perceive sequence or to quit (which leads to "quit conversation" in the perceive tab). The default blip for perceive is already provided here.

On the Player, if "perceive is available" is checked but not ready from start, there should be a greyed out bracelet button. If it is ready, the bracelet should be moving, similar to how the magatama is glowing when psyche locks are available.

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but it's worth a shot to try to pitch the whole idea, plan, and structure.
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Re: [Suggestion] [E][P] Implementing Perceive for v6.1

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

Sorry for the necropost, but now that AAO is open source, couldn't you program that yourself?
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

"Couldn't you program that yourself?" applies to any suggestion that Unas hasn't explicitly rejected. The open-sourcing doesn't replace the suggestions forum.

For future reference, ED has said he doesn't plan to continue with AAO, so he definitely won't be developing this. I'm not aware of anybody who has said they do plan to develop a perceive engine themselves.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Post by mercurialSK »

I'm working on a generator but it's a roundabout way of using frames instead of actually being integrated into v6 properly. It takes the ID of two empty Places and an empty new frame and generates JSON to insert in place of them...there's a lot of trial data manipulation. It's not really ideal...there's a ton of redirect frames, it's played with the mouse instead of arrows, and it doesn't play the blips while the character is talking because it uses an svg (which is weird itself anyway)

Not really the same as what ED was saying since it's "dirty tricks" XD
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Enthalpy wrote:"Couldn't you program that yourself?" applies to any suggestion that Unas hasn't explicitly rejected. The open-sourcing doesn't replace the suggestions forum.

For future reference, ED has said he doesn't plan to continue with AAO, so he definitely won't be developing this. I'm not aware of anybody who has said they do plan to develop a perceive engine themselves.
Even if I do plan to be working on AAO, I don't know how the code runs as opposed to how PyWright runs. So I couldn't be of any help. I'll leave it up to anyone who has a good idea of implementing it.
Last edited by Enthalpy on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing swearing that the filter didn't catch.
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

I think perceiving is definitely one of the things we should consider for future versions of AAO; the number of times it has been suggested reflects the demand for it.In fact, now might be the time to start planning V6.1 and V7.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.