[Suggestion] Better Interface

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

SonGokuTL
Spoken languages: English

[Suggestion] Better Interface

Post by SonGokuTL »

So, it's been a while since i'm trying V6 of AAO, and i'm starting to understand why a lot of people prefers remaining in V5.

While it is true that V6 editor opens MANY new possibilities, it just slows your work. A LOT.

1st issue) In V5, you could set a default background for every character. That was extremly helpful, especially when creating trials, where the background changes every time the "camera" focuses on defense-prosecutor-witness. That saves a lot of time since you do not have to set the background everytime. Just pick a character and write.
Here, this feature is removed for some reason, so trials require much more time. I suggest reintroducing default backgrounds.

2nds issue) Wasted space. The more frames you can see in one screen, the better it is. I don't know what resolution are you using on your PC, mine is 1366 X 768, and the editor is so big that there is actually an horizontal scroll bar. Why is that? Isn't there really any way to fit everything in one screen just as in V5?
Space is wasted also in Height: Was it really needed an almost totally unused extra row just for the "Set Action" button? Couldn'it be shrinked a little and placed few pixels under "Merge With Text"?
Frames are so big in this editor...

3rd issue) The "space" issue is applied at almost everything: Characters, Evidence, Music, Places. Why does everything has to be so big? I can barely see 3 evidences at time without scrolling. In V5 everything was smaller and it was waaaaay more comfortable.

4th issue) That "tab" with all the voices named "characters""evidences""places" etc., placed at the top should not follow the screen when you scroll down. Because of the space issue. That thing is huge. Also, it's completely useless: One can simply open 2 browser pages if he has to view 2 voices of the editor at the same time (Like, for example, Storyboard and Evidence)

5th issue) Sometimes, when the trial's title is a bit long, it covers the tab's buttons at the top of the page.

V5 had a simple yet functional interface. V6 has a lot to offer, but as it is now, i find it very uncomfortable to work with.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [Suggestion] Better Interface

Post by Enthalpy »

I'll look over this more in-detail when I have the time.

Could you give me an example on the fifth bug? That glitch had been previously reported and fixed.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
SonGokuTL
Spoken languages: English

Post by SonGokuTL »

Enthalpy wrote:I'll look over this more in-detail when I have the time.

Could you give me an example on the fifth bug? That glitch had been previously reported and fixed.
Oh, sorry, i didn't knew it has been fixed. Since the time i discovered that issue I stopped using long names for my trials, so i didn't noticed.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Regarding the time it takes to set up a scene, please have a look at the frame presets introduced in the latest update.
It's only a first step, but it should help ;-)

I can understand where you come from with the UI being too big...
When I started developing V6 I was using a netbook so I paid attention to everything being accessible on a 1024px wide screen, but since then I've long since forgotten testing that.

This horizontal bar thingy is weird though : in theory, the player and editor page should have a minimal width of 940px; 980 including padding. Far from my 1024 or your 1366... but I just tested in Firefox and it apparently does not resize correctly to these small widths, That's a bug we should investigate.

As for the rest, I guess we could work on higher density timesheets for smaller screens...
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )