[Suggestion] Moving Object in a Location

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Acid Rain
Spoken languages: English, Canadian Redneck English

[Suggestion] Moving Object in a Location

Post by Acid Rain »

I've got a scenario I would like to incorporate into a case, but as it stands now, the only way to do this (as far as I can tell) would be immensely impractical. Specifically, I would like to have text shift upwards as you would see in a chatroom or IRC or whatever. It's easiest to demonstrate this with an example:

Pretend that this charming image is the
background I plan to use in my case,
and that this block of text is the
object. I want to be able to move this
block of text up line-by-line in order to
replicate an IRC (online chat) sort of
thing.

As it stands now, if I wanted to repeatedly shift the text upwards I would need to make hundreds of objects of the block of text in different locations and reveal/hide them as the text "scrolls". If, on the other hand, there was a function that allowed me to set new coordinates for an object, I would only need one object.

Honestly, this seems to be a pretty extreme example of re-using objects and I don't see this being a highly-useful change for most people, but considering how much time and tedious work it would save me, I thought I'd ask anyway.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [Suggestion] Moving Object in a Location

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm fond of the idea. I'd need to do some more checking to see if it's feasible, but it should be possible?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Why not, I guess it could make sense.
Somehow I'm not too fond of the idea - it reminds me of the "modify a piece of evidence" thing that was requested a while ago and which was a really bad idea, But here it does make sense so why not.

An action to update the object's position should be fairly simple to implement, except for one thing : the action execution should cause a re-render of the top screen's place layer, so that if this location is currently rendered on screen it is updated accordingly. This might be a little bit tricky to do in a clean way.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ferdielance »

This is an excellent feature for certain engines! I brute-forced this with direct trial data editing for Endless Nine, but that's not efficient. Hmm.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Endless Nine was the first thing that occurred to me when I saw this suggestion... So yes, I'm fairly interested in this one.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson