Development news: AAO is moving

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Development news: AAO is moving

Post by Unas »

Development news
AAO is moving, server downtimes ahead !
Just a very quick notice : in the next few days (probably in the next few hours actually, if I can manage it), AAO will move to a different server.
This means that AAO will be unavailable for a short while when I start the operation. It shouldn't take more than a few hours, but still, it's worth a warning.

Sorry for the very short notice, it's a move that I was planning to do since September and didn't find the time to... and now I'm a little pressed by the time.
Anyway, I'll let you know more once the operation is done :-)

Regards,

Unas
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Re: Development news: AAO is moving

Post by Bad Player »

ZOMG EVERYBODY PANIC
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Bad Player wrote:ZOMG EVERYBODY PANIC
MASS HYSTERIA TIME

DOGS AND CATS PRANCING TOGETHER

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

The move is complete, welcome to my new server :-)
Let me know if you see any problem that might be related.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

Not a problem at all, but I have to say, it does seem the response time is minimal with the new server :) Could be my internet today.ç

EDIT: Nope. Definitely faster for some reason. Post sent instantly rather than about 1 second. Awesome!
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

DWaM can't get onto AAO. He's locked out. Pls fix.
hershel_layton
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by hershel_layton »

enigma wrote:DWaM can't get onto AAO. He's locked out. Pls fix.
I mean, other people probably can't either, but pls fix for DWaM specifically. That is the biggest problem right now.
100% Certified Dersh
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Wait a short while, it can take up to an hour for DNS changes to propagate worldwide. He is probably still seeing the old server :wink:
ImageImageImage
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

And suddenly my computer is locked out even though I could get on before. =_= Are you sure this is normal since it was letting me on and then suddenly just locked me out?

Edit: I can save and edit trials, though?

Edit: Never mind it's back.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

What do you mean by "locked out" ?
If it is that the forum appears locked as under server maintenance, that's because you're seeing the old server instead of the new one.

It can happen because of the DNS caches between you and the site.
Basically, there are some parts of the internet which still think that the address "aceattorney.sparklin.org" corresponds to the old server, so you can get redirected there, quite randomly. When the new DNS record will have propagated everywhere (usually it takes around an hour), and all of the net knows that "aceattorney.sparklin.org" has a new address, it will all be fine :wink:
Danielinhoni wrote:Not a problem at all, but I have to say, it does seem the response time is minimal with the new server :) Could be my internet today.ç

EDIT: Nope. Definitely faster for some reason. Post sent instantly rather than about 1 second. Awesome!
Good to know ! :-)
Actually, this new server has a smaller CPU than the previous one so I was afraid it would be slower, but apparently so far it makes up with its increased RAM for caching and everything - and also probably benefits from a few optimisations I've made compared to the old configuration.
Anyway, we'll see how it fares - I have a plan to boost the site quite a lot again in the next few weeks anyway. :-)
ImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

The new server works well for me.

Any teasers as to what this boost is going to look like?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Enthalpy wrote:Any teasers as to what this boost is going to look like?
Well, let's just say that the server that now hosts AAO has a twin, and I intend to make good use of it :-)
ImageImageImage
Gumshoe Gant
Spoken languages: English

Post by Gumshoe Gant »

Unas wrote:
Development news
AAO is moving, server downtimes ahead !
Just a very quick notice : in the next few days (probably in the next few hours actually, if I can manage it), AAO will move to a different server.
This means that AAO will be unavailable for a short while when I start the operation. It shouldn't take more than a few hours, but still, it's worth a warning.

Sorry for the very short notice, it's a move that I was planning to do since September and didn't find the time to... and now I'm a little pressed by the time.
Anyway, I'll let you know more once the operation is done :-)

Regards,

Unas
I don't have a problem with it. Nice!