Welcome to the future !

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: Welcome to the future !

Post by Unas »

I'm afraid not :-P
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

;_; You mean the Sexy Turnabout featuring Phoenix Wright-on-Baby: Ass Attorney still has to remain in development hell!? ;A;A;A;A;A;A;A;A;
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

... I am way too tempted to learn JavaScript now.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

JS isn't hard to learn, soooo...

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

But I have so many other projects I want to do first...
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

But forking AAO...

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Unas wrote:I'm afraid not :-P
But then what is the purpose of the name AAO? :-P
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Post by mercurialSK »

Neat.

Are there any plans for code quality specifications or something? Seeing as that might make integrating things more consistent if it does happen.

please never take down the pricing plans page
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

At the moment there are no specific rules, and I don't feel there is a need for writing some just yet given the current scale of the project.

At the beginning, since I don't expect that there will be many contributors all at once, I will personally review all pull requests and comment on all details until I'm satified with the quality, at which point I will accept the pull request.

If the scale grows and we get many contributors, however, this will have to change, of course, and we will have to codify things a little more :-)

Also, the pricing plans page will live on like the previous april fools jokes : at some point I will rename it in april2015.php instead, but of course I'll keep it ^^
kwando1313 wrote:JS isn't hard to learn, soooo...
Depends what you expect.
You can do practically anything in JS, and if you have no experience you will be tempted to do lots of ugly things which make the maintainance and future evolution a nightmare. The AAOv1 to 5 code is an example of that, and that's the main reason why I wanted to write V6 from scratch.
So it's kind of hard to learn good JS ;-)
That being said, since I will be reviewing all pull requests and commenting on what is to be improved, this makes AAO a good project for someone who wants to start developing in JS. They can learn from my experience :-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

I expect that people will soon want to add original features to their trials, that is, special kinds of buttons and interfaces that are not part of the original series. So what about putting this into system by introducing modules, pieces of code that can be turned on by the author if they want to. Obviously, you should approve of them before they are added, but that is how open source development works anyway.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

For what it's worth, I already know Python.
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

GanonZD wrote:I expect that people will soon want to add original features to their trials, that is, special kinds of buttons and interfaces that are not part of the original series. So what about putting this into system by introducing modules, pieces of code that can be turned on by the author if they want to. Obviously, you should approve of them before they are added, but that is how open source development works anyway.
I would actually love to see that happen. It would be the best if you could write your own modules for one trial only or alternatively publish them for others to use. Still, I imagine the compability issues with each other would be a nightmare lol.
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

That is why we need Unas to approve of them and maintain them centrally, in order to ensure their mutual compatibility (we don't want LaTeX-like conditions on AAO). However, I think it should be a rule that all modules be made publicly available, just like everyone can open other people's trials in the V6 editor.

EDIT: When I said "you" should approve of them, you = Unas. ;-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

What I meant by this "writing a trial specific module" vs. "writing a module everyone can use" was not that the private modules would be hidden but that they would not be neccessarily compatible with everything. It's simply easier to write (bad) code for just your specific purpose than to write generic code for everyone. Even if you are not that good a coder, it would still be nice to have the option of customizing your trial, without worrying about how the mechanic you have created would be compatible with the others. If someone else wanted to use these modules written for private purposes, they could just copy/paste it but they would also have to be prepared to deal with the compability issues.

On the other hand, there should also be a separate centrally managed library of modules that are compatible like you have described them and could be utilized by those who can't code themselves. But really, all the compability testing required to add these sure sounds bothersome for whoever (= probably Unas) would be managing the library.

Of course, this is all just hypothetical talk in the case there will ever be such a modular system.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

To be honest, I'm not going to let people write custom code in their trials, since that's more or less what Sing is suggesting.
This is too much of a security issue : Javascript allows you to do practically anything with the user's browser, and I couldn't possibly let everyone who plays trials be exposed to this risk. Nor could I control all trials to make sure the JS they contain is nice.

Remember when henke37 was toying around with V5 (or V4, maybe), and wrote a trial that replaced your forum signature when you played it ? It was just a silly joke, but it could be much worse.
It was possible precisely because a flaw in the code at this time allowed him to introduce JS code to be executed.

What, however, I would be happy to do is to integrate new functionalities in the AAO engine even if they are not coming from AA games - provided these features have enough potential to be reused by many people.
Given that people have been using AAO for all sort of visual novels aside from the AA universe, it could make sense to include new features from other games, or even original features.

As for integrating such features as "modules" or "plugins" as Ganon suggests, the idea may be good if there is demand for many new functionalities in the end, and will certainly be considered, but it's would complexify the structure of the code quite a lot.
Currently, the code is mostly split between editor and player : the editor lets the user specify inputs for all features, and the player renders them all when needed.
What you suggest would require rearranging the code so that it's split by gameplay elements : each package handling both the editor interface and the player rendering engine for each functionality (eg CE, investigation, logic, etc.).

This sounds like some work for AAOv7 :-P
ImageImageImage