Development news : AAO goes open-source NOW !

Read and comment on the latest community news and site updates.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Development news : AAO goes open-source NOW !

Post by kwando1313 »

Seconded on getting a subforum. That'd be super useful. And that way, we can do some collab code work too!

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Post by mercurialSK »

kwando1313 wrote:Seconded on getting a subforum. That'd be super useful. And that way, we can do some collab code work too!
Maybe it can be put in "Comments and Ideas"? Some way that's welcoming to non-programmers too since lots of people will be using AAO and stuff so they can collab with ideas too.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

mercurialSK wrote:
kwando1313 wrote:Seconded on getting a subforum. That'd be super useful. And that way, we can do some collab code work too!
Maybe it can be put in "Comments and Ideas"? Some way that's welcoming to non-programmers too since lots of people will be using AAO and stuff so they can collab with ideas too.
Can you explain why "welcoming to non-programmers" is important? From what I understand, the role you're describing is just suggesting new features, which we already have a forum for, and is separate from AAO development.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Yeah, in my mind, the development subforum would be separate.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Post by mercurialSK »

Enthalpy wrote:
mercurialSK wrote:
Can you explain why "welcoming to non-programmers" is important? From what I understand, the role you're describing is just suggesting new features, which we already have a forum for, and is separate from AAO development.
Eh, well, what we're doing won't affect just us if it is ever implemented? I mean some more obvious or easy way to give that suggestions or feedback directly without it looking closed off to developers only...I dunno, I guess past experience hasn't been fun and stuff but you guys have a point and I'm probably overreacting XD
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

All we need for that is a sticky listing current projects of those who are doing development.

A sticky like that would be necessary for organization and avoidance of duplicate work anyway.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Aaaah! The future is here!! \(*≧∀≦*)/☆

I've been so busy cramming for my exams that I didn't even notice this until now... I've been missing out! Argh, but I still have exams left... Must... hold... back..!

But yeah, I agree with people above, this needs a subforum. Whether it's in Comments and Ideas like has been suggested or elsewhere... I don't really care, as long as it gets one~
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

At the very least, right now, we should get a thread of what people are working on, so we don't overlap and start duplicating features or something like that...

kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

kwando1313 wrote:Actually... You say to go through the installation process, but... What exactly should we be writing for the server info, anyways?
Because I'm still confused how that all works...

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Sorry for the wait, I have been very busy lately.

I have accepted two pending pull requests.

I have also just added some important information for contributors onto the project's wiki (currently only editable by me, but I'll probably make it publicly editable when it's a little better shaped) : the suggested workflow to develop on AAO. See https://bitbucket.org/AceAttorneyOnline ... t_workflow.

Regarding the forum section : coming soon ^^

And kwando, if you're talking about the phpbb install, as far as I know you can leave everything by default except the database settings.
You need to set up a mysql server (easyphp should be able to deploy one along with the phpmyadmin administration tool I think), create a new database and a new mysql user for AAO, then proceed to install the forum using this database name and this user/password when the phpbb installation requests them. :)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Two additional questions:

While looking over the events module (line 84), I discovered a method which has apparently deprecated. The problem is that the obvious substitute isn't supported by IE. Do we keep the method around, or change it up?

Secondly, as I read through all the code, I'm making short simplification changes as I go, in the style of replacing the three methods with the one regex. Do I make a separate branch and pull request for each file, or do multiple files at once in larger "batches"?

EDIT: Oh, and third question. I assumed that the dependency rule is that there is a listed dependency if and only if the file calls on a function from that module. Line 95 of events.js uses hasClass, which seems to come from nodes.js, but events.js has no dependencies. Something isn't quite right.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

1. I would keep it as is for the moment, until the new constructor is widely supported.

2. If it's only minor changes, you can batch them in one branch, it should be ok and it will be less work for me :-)

3. You are correct, I try to declare explicitly all direct dependencies, for clarity purposes.
However, sometimes I may forget and it will still work, like in this case. That's because the dependency has been loaded by another module, and as soon as it is loaded then everything works.
In this precise case, "nodes" is included by many modules (as it exposes basic functions to manipulate page elements), so even if not declared explicitly as a dependency in events, it's pretty much always loaded anyway.
But yes, it should be fixed, the dependency should be declared :-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

This is a really random question, but...

Is there a reason you don't use JQuery on the site at all? Like... Is it because you don't like external dependencies? Potential security flaws? Or is it just plain not necessary for what you want to do?

(I'm just asking because I use JQuery a decent bit at work, and I like using it for JS development. xP)

Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Well, the main reason is that I don't like the basic philosophy of JQuery :-P

1. jQuery's main focus is cross-browser interoperability, which it does very well... But on my part I don't care so much about it when developing personal projects : I prefer following an open standard, which it's the browser vendor's role to implement properly, than rely on a third party extension to cover inconsistencies. If a browser sucks, it should be noticed, known and fixed, rather than hidden with some hacks behind a pretty interface.
(Of course it's not the same when developing a commercial application, but well, AAO does not care about revenue so...)

2. jQuery is focused on managing animations and visual effects in Javascript. On the contrary, I believe in a firm separation of concerns: JS manages application logic, and CSS manages display (and HTML manages content description, agnostically from the way it will be rendered - but in a fully dynamic app like the editor and player this is less relevant). I try for the Javascript code to be as independent from the rendered page as possible.
You'll see that for example in my code top screen effects are purely defined in CSS, and JS only applies a class to the element at the proper time.
And if I want to use JS to draw something really dynamically, I'll rely on the standard solution for that : HTML5 canvas.

And at last, maybe the most important point : I love the open web platform. (If I still had time...) I could spend hours reading up on all details of HTML5 semantics, upcoming CSS functionalities, new Javacript control structures... Developing AAO meant a lot to me for that reason : I had to go pretty deep into understanding all these technologies.
jQuery spoils the fun by hiding most of it: it will use CSS for animations but you'll never know it. It'll manipulate DOM elements but you'll never know what they're supposed to mean. It'll use a myriad of powerful JS constructs under the hood, but you'll never know about them. It's like you're not even writing javascript code anymore. How boring ! :P

I have considered using external libs in the AAO code for a while, but none for their graphical capabilities or such.
The libraries I consider are those which focus primarily on the Javascript logic itself and the way to organise the code. Top of the list was Google Closure a few years ago, and it could be a good project to refactor the AAO code to use Closure (or some other similar library) some day. :)
ImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm hoping to read through style_loader.js before my next commit, and I ran into another roadblock. Is getPropertyConverter a finished function? It looks as if it could be replaced with a simple return False.