Gameboard/General Mystery

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Gameboard/General Mystery

Post by kwando1313 »

Spoiler : :
Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I just figured that General Discussion would be the best place for it, but if the mods think this is in the wrong place, sorry for that. ^^
A strange game... The only winning move is not to play.
So... It seems that making mystery gameboards of some sort has picked up steam again... So I figured, why not make a thread where we can discuss and make mysteries and whatnot. Because that's pretty fun. (Also because I'm too lazy and don't really want to post on seacats.) Keep in mind though, it doesn't necessarily have to be an Umineko-based mystery (despite the fact that that's the type I'm most familiar with).

And now that we've gotten that introduction out of the way... A few important ground rules.
Spoiler : Rules :
1. The rules of the mystery will be set by the author of the mystery. I'm just making the place to host it on.
2. If you're posting a mystery, I'd prefer if you have it on a Word Document of some sort, rather than posting it on a spoiler tag here. Mostly, because they can get really long, and I don't want to have like a super long scroll bar on the page. Also, I'd prefer having one board at a time, just to make it easier to discuss each mystery.
3. When posting theories of any kind, please post them in spoiler tags. That way, people can join in at different points and not get spoiled on what's been happening.
4. Please, if you have issues with the mystery presented, PM your concerns to the author of the mystery. Don't make rude or disparaging comments on the thread. This is a thread for trying to solve a mystery, not "let's rag on Author XYZ" thread.
5. Most importantly... Have fun! If you're frustrated with the mystery, don't make a passive aggressive comment about leaving and insult the author. Just... Stop posting gracefully. No need for any negativity in this thread. We've seen it get... Heated in times past. I don't want to see that again.
Current board: SOLACE IN PERFECT SOLITUDE - by calvinball
Spoiler : Board Rules :
Spoiler : Archive :
= None so far =
Last edited by kwando1313 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Calvinball
Spoken languages: English

Re: Gameboard/General Mystery

Post by Calvinball »

Might be a silly question, but how exactly do Mystery Gameboards work? Is it like Endless Nine or Nights or... I forget what it was called?
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

I'll link to seacats for this:

http://www.seacats.net/gameboard/res/17867.html

(This is DWaM's board, FTR.)

But basically, it could either be theory based (as it is in DWaM's board there), or it can be red/blues (like it was in Endless Nights). The tricky issue with red/blues is that, it's really easy to get yourself into a Logic Error (basically, contradicting facts).

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Hm... I'd really like to try my hand at this, but I'll need a lot of time to work out a mystery. I'm not the best at solving puzzles in the first place, so writing them is, well... tricky.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Calvinball wrote:Hm... I'd really like to try my hand at this, but I'll need a lot of time to work out a mystery. I'm not the best at solving puzzles in the first place, so writing them is, well... tricky.
I'm not great at writing mysteries myself. Isn't stopping me, so don't let it stop you! : D

(8800 words and I have quite a bit to go. Yikes.)
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

I have one that I worked on for another board but it is 1) incomplete and 2) used a trick that ended up being used, coincidentally, in a major case on AAO. (There are only so many key and lock tricks in existence, I guess!) Still, I might develop it a bit!
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Hello! While I am not 100% sure this is the place to ask, it seems like as good as any one to start in. You see, I have written a mystery game board (as my previous post suggests; I suppose it might've been odd, trying to hype a mystery game board), but because it's my very first I'd like it if one person could read it and try their hand at it, so I can get some feedback on whether or not the mystery game board works/is fair. If nothing else, I'd like someone who can edit it and pare down the length, since I fear I may have spent too long dwelling on some less important elements. You would obviously learn the solution before anyone else and not get to participate here on the forum as a player, but if that's okay with you, then maybe you'd be willing to help me finish writing this game board!

Thank you!
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

I can do that! You'd have to be willing to add me on skype, though. Since that's my debate/solving room of choice.
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Thank you very much, and certainly! Just PM your Skype contact info, and I'll send you a link to the document.
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

A secluded mansion and a dark family. A lone detective and a solitary victim. One impossible crime and no one to blame...

Or: my first mystery game board. I humbly offer this to kwando1313 as the current game board. (I hope I'm doing this right by posting it here.)

EDIT: I re-read the board and I noticed one thing was off. For those who have already read it, feel free to read the following spoiler so you know what it was that needed to be fixed.
Spoiler : The Error :
Edgeworth narrates that he slept for more than three hours. However, if you look at the time stamps, that's not true. I have now amended his line to "almost" three hours instead.
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

That was a very entertaining read and a lovely household. (amusing gratuitous use of umineko names helped).
Well then, I'll start things off. Or end things immediately, who knows?
Spoiler : :
Who: Rudolf von Karma

How: Has no alibi after everyone left the parlor. He went to the library to look for a chance to kill Franziska. There, he noticed Kyrie fell asleep during her studies (her sleep deprivation was hinted at during lunch), so he was able to simply sneak past her. That's when he took out the gun he brought and committed the murder. Of course, Kyrie didn't dare to mention she fell asleep, because ace parenting. After that he went back to the parlor and pretended nothing happened. This most likely didn't take much longer than 10 minutes.

Why: Rudolf is described as unnerving, and willing to do whatever it takes to "get ahead". The motive was simple enough - with Franziska gone, Erika would also die soon, most likely leading to Rudolf's wife inheriting everything. He effectively killed the two people that treated him the most like an outsider.
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Spoiler : @Blackrune :
Interesting... but how exactly could Rudolf have reasonably expected Kyrie to be asleep? Assuming he's the culprit, bringing a gun does suggest he had some sort of plan, after all... What would he do if she powered through her weariness?
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Spoiler : Rune pls, your theory is just silly :
Who: Maria von Karma

How: Kyrie wasn't training Maria to be a perfect prosecutor... She was training Maria to be a perfect assassin. After all, nobody would suspect a little girl, and a tool that can take care of 'annoyances' is much more useful than another rival in the prosecutor's office. (Plus Battler said the von Karmas were crooks!)

Why: Kyrie told Maria to. She wanted to prove Maria was a perfect assassin by having her succeed where Shelly de Killer, the top assassin in the world, had failed. (Kyrie told Maria to do this, but didn't help or aid her in any way, and so isn't technically an accomplice. Alternatively, Maria got the idea and wanted to prove it for herself.)
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Spoiler : @Bad Player :
From the doc: "There are no accomplices!"

Also, I think you're a little confused about the names here. There is no Maria von Karma.
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper