FenrirDarkWolf's Sprites (Updated Nov 1, 2020)

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

FenrirDarkWolf
Spoken languages: English

Re: FenrirDarkWolf's Sprites (Renovation)

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Image Image

Giving Turner Grey a proper confident sprite
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Image Image Image

Head detective in Kain Lewis: Ace Attorney; Detective Kendra Albright.
She was made using LawfulMagicians Trucy bases.
God I'm freaking tired.
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Oh wow they look great! I love her hairstyle!
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

SuperAj3 wrote:Oh wow they look great! I love her hairstyle!
Thanks, I have this this thing with ladies in buns haha

Fun fact: Kendra is actually one of the playable characters (albeit a slightly updated design) in an RPG I'm eventually going go make where instead of a detective, she works in an office building.
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

I haven't worked on these Calisto sprites in forever.
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:Image

I haven't worked on these Calisto sprites in forever.
Looking good! Just in that last frame her forehead seems to stick out a little more, instead of tucking in a bit (as her head's turning away from us, and not more towards us).
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Spoiler : Possible AA6 spoilers? :
Image Image

TRCUYYYYYYYY ;m;
You'll always be my favourite assistant
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

So, with Silver Glas's help (they cleaned it up and now it's beautiful~), I have made some Mood Matrix UI stuff:
Spoiler : Mood Matrix UI :
Credits to Silver Glas for the clean-up
light feeling:
Image Image Image Image
normal feeling:
Image Image Image Image
wild feeling:
Image Image Image Image
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Glen Elg

Post by Glen Elg »

This looks great! Don't think I'll use them at any point since I'm not really a fan of Athena in trials, but I love this as a resource!
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Glen Elg wrote:This looks great! Don't think I'll use them at any point since I'm not really a fan of Athena in trials, but I love this as a resource!
Gotta thank Silver Glas a lot, because before, they looked like crap haha.
I mostly made them because Athena is my baby and I have plans for trials with her
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Crystalklk

Post by Crystalklk »

I love your Kendra Albright character, especially since my name is also Kendra. I love her design a lot!
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Crystalklk wrote:I love your Kendra Albright character, especially since my name is also Kendra. I love her design a lot!
Thanks! I designed her a long time ago for an RPG I keep trying to make and never could get a cohesive story on. I have OA of her somewhere.
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

It took freaking ages but...
Kain Lewis is now animated and free to use!!! Leo will hopefully be up tomorrow.

Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Glen Elg

Post by Glen Elg »

Awesome spriteset! A few bits of critique:

1. Overall, I'd edit the head to look less like Phoenix; this could probably be done the most easily by changing the shape of the eyes or doing a whole new head position (like you did in the sprites in the second- and third-to-last rows; those are probably my favorites out of this whole set, actually!). You did an awesome job of creating a completely new hairstyle, since frankenspriting from someone else's hair almost always makes it an obvious frankensprite.

2. I'd veer away from using poses that were really unique from the characters they were frankensprited from; the one that pops out the most to me is the very last sprite; it looks too Phoenix-y just because we're so familiar with that sprite as being a Phoenix sprite. The only other big offender for that is probably the pointing sprites; it's difficult to not use those, and for that I'd personally change them, but honestly, I'd completely understand if you kept the Phoenix point.

3. This is a big anatomy issue; his hands are way too big. I'm guessing you used Edgeworth's hands for some of these sprites, and that's fine (it's really good, actually, since it's a subtler use of taking bits from different sprites), but you need to make sure that the proportions carry over. In the regular arms-crossed sprites, it's not really a problem, but it's a huge problem in the sprites where he's touching his chin with his index finger (I'm assuming that's what he's doing?). What I'd do with this kind of situation is move the hands to another layer, make that layer a bit transparent, shrink the hand, and then trace over the hand in another layer so you're still maintaining the same colors. The sprites where he's touching his chin are the ones that need this the most; you might be able to get away with leaving the other sprites, but it's still kind of noticeable. I love the use of Edgeworth's hands in the third-to-last row, though, and I'd keep those, personally.

4. Just a couple of shading issues; it looks like you used a color limit, so I can totally understand these, but hopefully this helps a little bit. The lightest gray on the suit is too light; I'd darken it a bit, or maybe even replace it with the color you already have as your midtone. The other issue isn't coloring so much as placement of lighting. In the second- and third-to-last rows, the highlight on his right cheek is a bit too large; I'd close it up a bit around the edges of that highlight.

Overall, this is an amazing defense attorney spriteset; the new head position on the second- and third-to-last rows are awesome, and it makes those my favorite sprites in the set. I also appreciate your decision to change where he wears his badge, and the addition of the black backing of his jacket was a great choice. I'm also a sucker for restricted color limits, so I'm really amazed by how well you did this within the limit (I'm guessing it's a 16-color limit?). Keep up the amazing work!
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Glen Elg wrote:Awesome spriteset! A few bits of critique:

1. Overall, I'd edit the head to look less like Phoenix; this could probably be done the most easily by changing the shape of the eyes or doing a whole new head position (like you did in the sprites in the second- and third-to-last rows; those are probably my favorites out of this whole set, actually!). You did an awesome job of creating a completely new hairstyle, since frankenspriting from someone else's hair almost always makes it an obvious frankensprite.

2. I'd veer away from using poses that were really unique from the characters they were frankensprited from; the one that pops out the most to me is the very last sprite; it looks too Phoenix-y just because we're so familiar with that sprite as being a Phoenix sprite. The only other big offender for that is probably the pointing sprites; it's difficult to not use those, and for that I'd personally change them, but honestly, I'd completely understand if you kept the Phoenix point.

3. This is a big anatomy issue; his hands are way too big. I'm guessing you used Edgeworth's hands for some of these sprites, and that's fine (it's really good, actually, since it's a subtler use of taking bits from different sprites), but you need to make sure that the proportions carry over. In the regular arms-crossed sprites, it's not really a problem, but it's a huge problem in the sprites where he's touching his chin with his index finger (I'm assuming that's what he's doing?). What I'd do with this kind of situation is move the hands to another layer, make that layer a bit transparent, shrink the hand, and then trace over the hand in another layer so you're still maintaining the same colors. The sprites where he's touching his chin are the ones that need this the most; you might be able to get away with leaving the other sprites, but it's still kind of noticeable. I love the use of Edgeworth's hands in the third-to-last row, though, and I'd keep those, personally.

4. Just a couple of shading issues; it looks like you used a color limit, so I can totally understand these, but hopefully this helps a little bit. The lightest gray on the suit is too light; I'd darken it a bit, or maybe even replace it with the color you already have as your midtone. The other issue isn't coloring so much as placement of lighting. In the second- and third-to-last rows, the highlight on his right cheek is a bit too large; I'd close it up a bit around the edges of that highlight.

Overall, this is an amazing defense attorney spriteset; the new head position on the second- and third-to-last rows are awesome, and it makes those my favorite sprites in the set. I also appreciate your decision to change where he wears his badge, and the addition of the black backing of his jacket was a great choice. I'm also a sucker for restricted color limits, so I'm really amazed by how well you did this within the limit (I'm guessing it's a 16-color limit?). Keep up the amazing work!
1. Ironically enough, I tried really hard trying to stray away from a Phoenix-look by changing his eyes and face shape a bit, and, by this point, the way he is has grown on me haha. I might do some fixes, but I'm lazy when it comes to these things.

2. Yeah.. I'm not exactly impressed with that sprite. I def. want to change that one up, at the very least. And I actually tried to work with the pointing sprite before animating... but it didn't really work out as well as I wanted it too.

3. Hmm... Like with the head, I might work on it. I can see why, most of the hands actually came from YOUNG Edgeworth.. except for that one, that came from older Edgeworth, so I guess there might be some size difference. The only other hands I used are Phoenix's.

4 & 5. I wasn't actually working with any sort of colour limit at all haha (also the black on the back was because the body base was an edited Godot sprite, but I loved the backing too much and it helps give off a "wolf" theme to me akin to darker to lighter fur.)

But thanks a bunch for the critique, I don't know how much fixing I'll do on this set, but I'll keep it all in mind.
Hopefully his partner will be ready later today.
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego