Second update in a week !
Heh, you didn't expect that so soon, did you ?
Here it is, a new AAO update. It contains the following changes.
New features :
- Dynamic playtesting from the editor. Clicking the Playtest button in the editor now opens a player that contains your pending, unsaved changes. No need to save the changes every single time you need to test them ! (Unas)
- New smooth scrolling modes. In addition to the linear transition previously available, you now have other options to adapt the scrolling rate to your needs. (ThePasch)
- Expression to return player health. Use f:player_health in the expression engine to get the current player health. (Enthalpy)
- Issue brought by latest update where the "Start" button and preloading process would be automatically skipped when loading a save. (Enthalpy)
- Issue #78 : Fix conversion process for old trials which contained invalid external sprites. (Enthalpy)
- Issues #154 and #156 : Fix error in the screen preview panel of the editor. (Enthalpy)
- Issue #129 : Fix some broken aspects of loading game saves, regarding CR Icons, psyche locks and camera positioning. (Enthalpy)
- Issue #160 : Errors when editing multiple contradictions. (Enthalpy)
- Only apply style fixer to local stylesheets, to avoid conflicts with browser extensions. (Unas)
Regarding the big new feature that is the dynamic playtesting, it's worth noting that this change was made possible by the Diff&Patch engine implemented in the previous update.
First on a technical level because it works by actually sending a diff of all your unsaved changes towards the player; but also from a usability perspective - because the Diff engine also powers the warning when closing the editor with unsaved changes.
Indeed, without this warning, you could easily forget that your changes are unsaved and close everything after playtesting - and you would lose those changes. Thanks to the warning, however, this is no longer the case : the editor knows that your changes are unsaved, and will remind you about it if you try to close it.
I hope you enjoy this update !