[M] Miles Edgeworth Dating Sim; Part 1: ★ Part 2: ●●●●●●●●●●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Vielwerth
Spoken languages: English / Japanese

[M] Miles Edgeworth Dating Sim; Part 1: ★ Part 2: ●●●●●●●●●●

Post by Vielwerth »

Link to the game:
Part 1: http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=99839
Part 2: http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=103764

Note: Part 2 has more incomplete chapters than are counted in the title, but the title is too long to fit them all in.

Hello everyone,

I just thought I would post about this to gauge some interest, since it's something a little bit different.

At the moment I am using Ace Attorney Online to create a visual novel-style Edgeworth dating sim, using, of course, elements from Ace Attorney (investigation, presenting, conversations, having a court record etc.). I am basing this on a Japanese dream-novel style fanfiction (Google "Yume Shousetsu" - don't want to lengthen this out by explaining it here!) I came across last year and thoroughly enjoyed. I was originally just making it for fun/to practise my translation, but I thought there might be others who would enjoy it, so I contacted the original author to ask if she would be happy with me officially translating, adapting and releasing it. She gave me the go-ahead, so long as I give credit to her for the original story, and make it clear that the translation and adaptation is my own work, and she has had no input in it. As such, the original site with the fanfiction is here: http://id25.fm-p.jp/423/yumeizuru/

The game will be based on the first two Mitsurugi (Edgeworth) stories, as they are two parts of the same series. It basically focuses on the relationship between Edgeworth and the female protagonist, whom he is training to become a prosecutor, gradually developing feelings for each other. I should also mention that there's no sexual content, and it should be suitable for ages 13+. It is also entirely linear, as it is based on a fanfic - but there are interactive elements where, for example, what is in the original story a conversation, I have added in the opportunity to present evidence, examine the background etc., for some fun conversations I have written/will write myself.

At the moment I have more or less completed 12/15 chapters for the original part 1 (about 2500 frames at the moment) - I would like to gauge what kind of interest there would be in this project, as I know it's pretty niche, and very much female-oriented, so I honestly have no idea what kind of response to expect.

Here's a very quick teaser of something I've done for it:

Please let me know if you would be interested in this, or any comments or questions you may have! I am also looking for playtesters, so please let me know if you'd like to be one.

This game will be using the following custom sprites:
https://imgur.com/a/g6cht - Leon Terra, by FenrirDarkWolf
Last edited by Vielwerth on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 12 times in total.
drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Re: [M] Miles Edgeworth Dating Sim (Part 1) ●●●●●●●●●●●○○○○

Post by drvonkitty »

Might give this a play sometime. You seem to have put a ton of effort into it without much reception, so I'll give it a shot soon when I get a chance. It's not really my area of expertise or anything, but I'll try to write up some thoughts/criticisms.

Vielwerth

Post by Vielwerth »

Thank you! I really appreciate, and hope you will find something to enjoy even if you're not the intended audience (I'm trying as much as possible to make this the case!)

I haven't added any chapters recently as I'm doing as thorough a job as I can of going back and fixing up what I've already done.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I haven't played a dating sim before, but I decided to give this a try.
Spoiler : Prologue, Technical Notes :
F3: Do you know about wait timers? This seems like the place for one.
F7: year, we
F24: much help he'll
F25: If this girl passed the bar, she had better know a good deal about the prosecutor's office! Perhaps have Nina say she knows a good deal about the prosecutors themselves.
F32: Again, this is a frame where I think you want a wait timer.
As a technical note, it may be good to use another music track for Justin's theme. Apollo's theme reminds us of Apollo, which makes it harder to think of this person with Apollo's sprites as Justin. Do you know about getting custom music on AAO?
F53: Apparently, he's
It's too early for me to have a good feel for the case yet, but I'll keep going. Let me know if you want a chance to implement either of those things I mentioned before I go on.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Vielwerth

Post by Vielwerth »

Enthalpy wrote:I haven't played a dating sim before, but I decided to give this a try.
Spoiler : Prologue, Technical Notes :
F3: Do you know about wait timers? This seems like the place for one.
F7: year, we
F24: much help he'll
F25: If this girl passed the bar, she had better know a good deal about the prosecutor's office! Perhaps have Nina say she knows a good deal about the prosecutors themselves.
F32: Again, this is a frame where I think you want a wait timer.
As a technical note, it may be good to use another music track for Justin's theme. Apollo's theme reminds us of Apollo, which makes it harder to think of this person with Apollo's sprites as Justin. Do you know about getting custom music on AAO?
F53: Apparently, he's
It's too early for me to have a good feel for the case yet, but I'll keep going. Let me know if you want a chance to implement either of those things I mentioned before I go on.
Thank you - I just went through quickly now and changed those things. I learnt about wait timers about halfway through, so I went back and added some in, but there were probably still places I missed!

And good point about Justin. I had a lot of people saying that they found it hard to separate him from Apollo, but I don't think there's a more suitable sprite (what with AA characters tending to be oddballs), and I'm not a sprite artist. I've changed it to a generic investigation BGM for now, but may see if I can get him something better.

Thank you for going through it!
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

You may find this topic useful if you're looking for sprites.

I'll get back to playing this over the weekend.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm liking this, so far. I was hoping I'd have more time to play this today, but alas.
Spoiler : Ch. 1-3 :
F2796: back, sir
F351: I don't understand this frame. "that chapter when Edgeworth was talking"?
F202, 210: Do you want a wait timer here? I'm not sure if I think one is needed here or not.
F221: Timer.
F2904: You're missing a closing parenthesis.
F390: Wait timer?
F567: pale, and
F571: whip, she
F645: spoke, I
F648: it, and
F654: This sprite is missing its lower half... I think you can find the corrected version in Sligneris's gallery here: https://imgur.com/a/mxlGt
F1723: mean, it
F1698: sneeze, but
Vielwerth

Post by Vielwerth »

Hey, I've gone through for now and fixed all the typos - I notice that I seem to drop commas a lot, so I'm looking out for that as I'm going through the whole thing again myself.

Thanks for the sprites! I'll have a look and see if I can find a suitable one for Justin when I've got more time.

As for F351 - basically in this section, Edgeworth is left alone in his office and it switches to his perspective. The court record also reflects this, but, since it's the first time it happens, maybe it's not obvious enough? Would you have any recommendations on how I could make this clearer?

Thanks!
kidusrox

Post by kidusrox »

This caught my interest, so I decided to start playing the beginning to get a feel for it. I ended up playing through the entire thing! It's so good! You captured the original characters' personalities perfectly, and the original characters are all characterized perfectly! The story itself is also really interesting! I'm dying to play the rest of this; it's amazing! I also recorded my entire playthrough, so I'll be uploading that to YouTube to help promote this! Amazing job! Keep at it!
Vielwerth

Post by Vielwerth »

kidusrox wrote:This caught my interest, so I decided to start playing the beginning to get a feel for it. I ended up playing through the entire thing! It's so good! You captured the original characters' personalities perfectly, and the original characters are all characterized perfectly! The story itself is also really interesting! I'm dying to play the rest of this; it's amazing! I also recorded my entire playthrough, so I'll be uploading that to YouTube to help promote this! Amazing job! Keep at it!
Hey, thank you so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I really liked the original story as well, so I'm glad I can bring it to other people :)

At the moment I'm giving it all a big re-tune-up, as it were, and I'm nearing the end of chapter 7 - so, as long as the site doesn't have any more downtime, I should be able to get back to adding new chapters fairly soon. Just keep an eye on this thread and I'll post as soon as a new chapter is out!

If it's okay, please could I have a link to your Youtube? I don't actually have an account for Youtube, so I can't subscribe, but I'd like to keep an eye out for the video.

In the meantime, I've found a new sprite for Justin - it's Leon Terra, by FenrirDarkWolf, so I'll be updating the OP with that info now.

Thanks! :)
kidusrox

Post by kidusrox »

I've been spending the last 2 days trying to get this video to render; I've never had a rendering problem this bad before. I would have replied earlier but I wanted to wait to see if I could upload the video first. Since that doesn't look like it can happen, I'll drop my yt link: youtube.com/kidusrox

My computer's been on since Thursday morning because I've been constantly trying to render this video. This time I'll shut it down for tonight and try again the next morning. Fingers crossed for the video going up tomorrow!

Also, I'm really excited to see what changes you're making to this. I'm looking forward to continuing the story!
Vielwerth

Post by Vielwerth »

Hey, just to let you know that I managed to catch your upload and I watched the whole thing! It made me really, really happy to see how much you enjoyed it and it's extremely motivating, especially as this hasn't gotten a lot of attention! Plus, there were a few things I could pick up through your playthrough that I noted down to fix up, so it was very helpful as well. Honestly, thank you so much! Let me know if you want me to answer any questions for you, too, because I noticed there were a few confusing things in your playthrough :)
Vielwerth

Post by Vielwerth »

Just a note to say that I've completed and polished up the entire thing, and that I've also now completed Chapter 11! There's a chapter select at the start, so don't worry about having to play through the whole thing again. I've made sure it adds all your evidence exactly as it should be, too.

Spoiler : Minor Spoilers :
I thought briefly about putting in an investigation sequence in the last scene of the chapter, but thought it would ruin the mood and not really make a lot of sense considering the circumstances (i.e. if Nina is nervous, she’d probably be anxious to hear what Edgeworth has to say, rather than want to present things to him etc.). This ended up leaving the chapter quite short, however, so thoughts on this if you have any would be appreciated. I can always go back and add an investigation block later if people think it would be better. In any case, this was one of the shorter chapters of the fic anyway.
Vielwerth

Re: [M] Miles Edgeworth Dating Sim (Part 1) ●●●●●●●●●●●●●○○

Post by Vielwerth »

Chapter 12 is now fully polished and up! For the investigation block in this chapter, there are different results when examining the background and presenting evidence before and after a certain somebody shows up, so make sure to check that out!

Two more chapters left and part 1 will be complete!
Vielwerth

Re: [M] Miles Edgeworth Dating Sim (Part 1) ●●●●●●●●●●●●●●○

Post by Vielwerth »

Hello everyone!

I’ve just updated with chapter 13! This one’s pretty long with quite a bit of perspective-changing, but it’s pretty exciting too. There’s quite a sweet moment in it, so I hope you’ll look forward to that! :)

Also, I will need to have a proper look at chapter 14, but it is likely that chapter 13 is going to have the final investigation block (where you can present, examine etc.) of part 1. So be sure to make the most of it!

Meanwhile I’ll be starting on the final chapter! Exciting stuff! But, don’t worry, because there will be a part 2, where things start to ramp up a bit in the romance department ;) As much as things could ramp up where Edgeworth is involved...

Anyway, as usual, please feel free to contact me with questions and feedback and whatever :)