[T] The Judge's Cup - Round 1 Completed ●○○○○

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

SpiritofAce
Spoken languages: English

[T] The Judge's Cup - Round 1 Completed ●○○○○

Post by SpiritofAce »

Authors: Starora, SpiritofAce (50/50 collaboration - Star does more of the artwork, and the majority of the planning for the story in each of the rounds, whilst I write the majority of the script and source custom content to use, including music where possible. We both tend to help each other with pretty much everything, though. Boxart was created by Star.

Background: A non-canon series of trials featuring characters from AA1 up until Apollo Justice, which is more focused on comedic relief than to be taken too seriously, as the story in each of the rounds has been created not just to make a good mystery to solve, but also to make you laugh. Maya has heard about this competition happening at the District Court which takes place annually known as 'The Judge's Cup.' It pits Defense Attorneys agains Prosecutors in a series of 5 mock trials, with the winning side of each round progressing to the next ladder of the competition. The winner of the final round will win the competition, and along with it a $5,000 prize!

Round One

Screenshots:
Spoiler : :
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Progress:
We have completed the first round, and we would love to hear your feedback and criticisms so that we can improve it. Work has already begun on the second round, with a lot of the planning done and currently we are working on an investigation segment.
Round One brief:
In this mock trial, famous actor Will Powers has found himself in another mess, and he needs the help of Phoenix and Maya to get himself out of this mess! Sound familiar? This time, he is accused of being responsible for a series of thefts that have been taking place at the Trés Bien restaurant. The item he has been accused of stealing is a $1500 ancient coin, which was stolen from a familiar customer... Penny Nichols! Can Phoenix and Maya find the truth behind this mystery, or will the heat of the competition prove too much for them?
It's important to make a note that although this is one of our first attempts at a trial, in particular for Star who has never used the editor before until I introduced her to it. You may know Star from the evidence creating thread in the Art forum. Anyway, we hope you enjoy playing the first round and you give us your honest thoughts on it. Star and I will be responding to any questions you have, and any criticisms. Look forward to hearing from you!

All of the custom evidence used in the first round was created by Star.

Special Credit to Broocevelt for allowing us to use some of his awesome soundtrack, which we would love to use more of in the coming rounds!
Custom Music:
The treat is a lie.
DWaM

Re: [T] The Judge's Cup - Round 1 Completed ●○○○○

Post by DWaM »

(I think you might not have set the trial for Round One to "Complete", so nobody can play it yet.)
Starora

Post by Starora »

DWaM wrote:(I think you might not have set the trial for Round One to "Complete", so nobody can play it yet.)
Should be working now!
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

(This half-reminds me of a really really old series The Omniscient Game where Phoenix and Maya got dragged to the courtroom to compete in a trivia gameshow ran by the judge.)

Anyhow, I played it, here's my thoughts:
Spoiler : Thoughts :
  • No prologue? Aw. Probably could've come up with at least a lil' sumthin for the introduction, I reckon.
  • Top line in first timestamp is slightly off-center, needs to be a space to the right I think
  • There are quite a few instances (throughout the entire case as I eventually concluded) in which characters use the longer expressions of "are" and "have" instead of the shortened ones (IE "you're" for example), which makes the dialogue come off as a bit stiff at certain points
  • During court sections, before every scroll, the character that was previously on screen disappears. I suspect what happened is that, instead of adding all three characters into one courtroom (by positioning them in their places of the far left, far right and center respectively) you always loaded up a new courtroom background, hid previous characters, and only had one character on it, with scrolling enabled
  • CE1: Pressing the statement about Powers and Penny dining and asking about the number of tables still has the cups added to the court record for some reason?
  • As a side-note, whenever you add evidence in a section the player might go through again (in this case, a press convo), make sure to hide the "X added to the Court Record" frame after the first time it shows up
  • CE1: It's a bit awkward that the revealed statement is added BEFORE the statement whose press reveals it
  • CE1 / Wrong Evidence Present: The frame with Objection is lacking a timer and there's no desk slam sound effect
  • Minor thing -- probably worth it to change Maggey's profile icon in the court record to her waitress one
  • CE2: Same thing when Maggey adds the statement about how long she was working -- while it logically makes sense to have it at that point in the testimony, it's jarring because the player could very well end up missing it by accident
  • CE2: I've noticed that before every "Hold it!" Maggey always reverts back to her saluting position in the background for split second -- whenever you use the bubble, you don't actually need to set the background or characters, just setting the popup will work out just fine
  • Oh, I just noticed we never got Powers' profile added to the court record
  • CE3: Isn't the more logical claim for this contradiction that Phoenix agrees that the crimes were done by the same person who was a regular, and that Powers can't be that person because he isn't one? Since, by making the claim of "these crimes weren't done the same person", Nick is basically saying "My client might've stolen this coin, but not the other stuff dammit" (Also, I admittedly don't remember, but it might be worthwhile to establish him not being a regular way back when you first get the coffee cups? Only because the logic of "he wouldn't order coffee this bad if he was there before" since the prosecution's counterargument could be "maybe he just didn't order coffee before / people have different tastes" or something)
  • There's no timestamp when reentering the court after the second recess
  • CE4: This contradiction is odd. Even if Jean knew who Maggey was the whole time, how does it implicate him in the thefts, let alone show that he might've had something to do with them?
  • Wait, but if the coin was never found, what does the prosecution suggest Powers did with it? And how can they use it against Phoenix at the end when even in their scenario they never found the coin on Powers' person.
  • "Why don't we ask a certain detective" frame is timed for some reason
  • Also, when did Jean steal the coin in this scenario? I was under the impression Powers stayed at the table the entire time, and that was the reason he was suspected? If there were other points that Penny's stuff was left alone allowing for Jean to steal it, why did Powers get arrested in the end? [Hi future DWaM here, the case DOES actually explain, I just think it should've probably been brought up before that point somehow -- or at least hint that she'd tripped or something -- otherwise people trying to legit solve the mystery would consider it an unfair solution]
  • They could've just dipped their fingers into the cup or somethin not bring out a whole metal detector lol
Overall, I think it's really not bad at all for what you said was your first effort in the editor. That said, it does unfortunately have some of the pitfalls that some of the first-time trial authors fall into (my biggest issue being with the culprit's mistake and the way they get unmasked not really flowing through logically, as well as not really feeling all that satisfying -- because you don't actually solve the mystery or defeat the main reason Powers was suspected.) I appreciated the lighter tone, and besides what I mentioned before about the overuse of "you are / you have" instead of the shortened uses, I didn't have issues with the dialogue. I think it's something you'll get better at as you go along. There's also some of the aforementioned visual hiccups (I didn't mention it in the list, but there were like two frames where Phoenix didn't have a nametag, one happens fairly early on in the trial, the other when he's confronting Jean if I recall).

Main amount of work should, in my opinion, be done on the logic, as I've said.
Good luck with the rest of the project!
SpiritofAce

Post by SpiritofAce »

DWaM wrote:(This half-reminds me of a really really old series The Omniscient Game where Phoenix and Maya got dragged to the courtroom to compete in a trivia gameshow ran by the judge.)

• No prologue? Aw. Probably could've come up with at least a lil' sumthin for the introduction, I reckon.
  • Top line in first timestamp is slightly off-center, needs to be a space to the right I think
  • There are quite a few instances (throughout the entire case as I eventually concluded) in which characters use the longer expressions of "are" and "have" instead of the shortened ones (IE "you're" for example), which makes the dialogue come off as a bit stiff at certain points
  • During court sections, before every scroll, the character that was previously on screen disappears. I suspect what happened is that, instead of adding all three characters into one courtroom (by positioning them in their places of the far left, far right and center respectively) you always loaded up a new courtroom background, hid previous characters, and only had one character on it, with scrolling enabled
  • CE1: Pressing the statement about Powers and Penny dining and asking about the number of tables still has the cups added to the court record for some reason?
  • As a side-note, whenever you add evidence in a section the player might go through again (in this case, a press convo), make sure to hide the "X added to the Court Record" frame after the first time it shows up
  • CE1: It's a bit awkward that the revealed statement is added BEFORE the statement whose press reveals it
  • CE1 / Wrong Evidence Present: The frame with Objection is lacking a timer and there's no desk slam sound effect
  • Minor thing -- probably worth it to change Maggey's profile icon in the court record to her waitress one
  • CE2: Same thing when Maggey adds the statement about how long she was working -- while it logically makes sense to have it at that point in the testimony, it's jarring because the player could very well end up missing it by accident
  • CE2: I've noticed that before every "Hold it!" Maggey always reverts back to her saluting position in the background for split second -- whenever you use the bubble, you don't actually need to set the background or characters, just setting the popup will work out just fine
  • CE3: Isn't the more logical claim for this contradiction that Phoenix agrees that the crimes were done by the same person who was a regular, and that Powers can't be that person because he isn't one? Since, by making the claim of "these crimes weren't done the same person", Nick is basically saying "My client might've stolen this coin, but not the other stuff dammit" (Also, I admittedly don't remember, but it might be worthwhile to establish him not being a regular way back when you first get the coffee cups? Only because the logic of "he wouldn't order coffee this bad if he was there before" since the prosecution's counterargument could be "maybe he just didn't order coffee before / people have different tastes" or something)
  • CE4: This contradiction is odd. Even if Jean knew who Maggey was the whole time, how does it implicate him in the thefts, let alone show that he might've had something to do with them?
  • Wait, but if the coin was never found, what does the prosecution suggest Powers did with it? And how can they use it against Phoenix at the end when even in their scenario they never found the coin on Powers' person.
  • Also, when did Jean steal the coin in this scenario? I was under the impression Powers stayed at the table the entire time, and that was the reason he was suspected? If there were other points that Penny's stuff was left alone allowing for Jean to steal it, why did Powers get arrested in the end? [Hi future DWaM here, the case DOES actually explain, I just think it should've probably been brought up before that point somehow -- or at least hint that she'd tripped or something -- otherwise people trying to legit solve the mystery would consider it an unfair solution]
  • They could've just dipped their fingers into the cup or somethin not bring out a whole metal detector lol
Overall, I think it's really not bad at all for what you said was your first effort in the editor. That said, it does unfortunately have some of the pitfalls that some of the first-time trial authors fall into (my biggest issue being with the culprit's mistake and the way they get unmasked not really flowing through logically, as well as not really feeling all that satisfying -- because you don't actually solve the mystery or defeat the main reason Powers was suspected.) I appreciated the lighter tone, and besides what I mentioned before about the overuse of "you are / you have" instead of the shortened uses, I didn't have issues with the dialogue. I think it's something you'll get better at as you go along. There's also some of the aforementioned visual hiccups (I didn't mention it in the list, but there were like two frames where Phoenix didn't have a nametag, one happens fairly early on in the trial, the other when he's confronting Jean if I recall).

Thank you so much for this indepth review! There's definitely a lot of improvements to be made.. some rather jarring we didn't notice :calisto:
I will add a post addressing a lot of these points soon, as I think we can improve on a lot of what was said with just some quality of life updates. Anyway, thanks for your review!
The treat is a lie.
Starora

Post by Starora »

DWaM wrote:(This half-reminds me of a really really old series The Omniscient Game where Phoenix and Maya got dragged to the courtroom to compete in a trivia gameshow ran by the judge.)

Thanks so much for the review! We'll get to work on making improvements as soon as possible!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm making my way through this. Quick fact-check on cross-examination 1.
Why isn't it a contradiction that Gumshoe says the waitress took Nichols to the back, leaving Powers with the coin, when the medical report says Armstrong and Powers assisted her, saying nothing about the waitress?

I might just be misreading the evidence description.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
SpiritofAce

Post by SpiritofAce »

Enthalpy wrote:I'm making my way through this. Quick fact-check on cross-examination 1.
Why isn't it a contradiction that Gumshoe says the waitress took Nichols to the back, leaving Powers with the coin, when the medical report says Armstrong and Powers assisted her, saying nothing about the waitress?

I might just be misreading the evidence description.
Thanks for taking the time to play - look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Response to above:
Yeah, that sounds like poor phrasing on our part. To tell the truth, I made some last minute adjustments to Gumshoe's testimony, and also the Medical Report - so the blame lies with me on this one. I will make sure to fix it.
The treat is a lie.
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Hi! I'm giving this case a play through now and so I might share some feedback to help you out:
I think Enthalpy pointed some of these out, but I'm writing this as I'm playing.
  • The use of reduced speech (shortening words with an apostrophe) is inconsistent. You use it in some places, but not others. To be more specific. You use "It is" instead of "It's", "I have" instead of "I've", "you are" instead of "you're". It's better to be consistent and use the reduced forms for those terms as it sounds more like natural speech. This ends up sounding a little unnatural when too many are missed in one sentence.
    e.g: Maya says "Yeah! It is us that should be wondering why you are here!", when it would be more natural to say: "Yeah! It's us that should be wondering why you're here!"
    When the characters are reading their scripts though for the mock trial, this can be forgiven though (I can understand scripts sounding a little stiff XD)
  • Some text isn't centred correctly (like the first time you're moved to the District Court)
  • It might just be personal preference, but pauses are used a lot, and I think you can control their length, so some might want to be made a little shorter. It breaks the pacing a little bit. I turned on instant text typing because I was finding I'd click next before all the dialogue would appear, and wasn't sure when a pause was happening and when one wasn't.
  • Pressing Gumshoe's statement about who was at the restaurant and asking "How many tables were there?" added 2 pieces of evidence to the Court Record that weren't mentioned at all in that dialogue (Powers' Coffee and Penny's Coffee).
  • Penny changes to "Ms. Byrde" at one point during the cross examination when pressing the statement "When Miss Nichols started feeling unwell, the waitress took her to the back of the restaurant..."
  • Presenting the wrong evidence in the testimony revealing Maggey's an undercover cop didn't result in a penalty. (That's fine if you don't want any penalties in the case).
What I liked about the case
  • The custom assets are really nice.
  • I like how you've written the characters. It suits their personalities. (Maya's the only one who I think sounds too stiff, but her jokes are good)
  • I like the premise of the case being a mock trial done for TV.
  • I like the stage fright from being on TV causing Phoenix to need a refresher on cross examinations.
  • The jokes and cutaway lines are good. "The Wright Way Lunch" and the "did she think a gavel is a dog" joke XD
  • The trial is well structured so far IMO. It moves a little quickly, but I was able to follow what was happening, and join the dots to present the right evidence.
Last edited by SuperAj3 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

Yeet so I just got through this thing and REALLY enjoyed it. Solid 8/10 cause the writing is good but could use some work, and I guess other people have pointed out some small logical fallacies that I didn't notice.
Since my SoC is in a google doc, I'm going to link it in this spoiler: I'm really excited for Round 2! Thanks for this :)
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Let me know when the fixes are made! I'll give this another try then.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Starora

Post by Starora »

SuperAj3 wrote:Hi! I'm giving this case a play through now and so I might share some feedback to help you out:
I think Enthalpy pointed some of these out, but I'm writing this as I'm playing.
  • The use of reduced speech (shortening words with an apostrophe) is inconsistent. You use it in some places, but not others. To be more specific. You use "It is" instead of "It's", "I have" instead of "I've", "you are" instead of "you're". It's better to be consistent and use the reduced forms for those terms as it sounds more like natural speech. This ends up sounding a little unnatural when too many are missed in one sentence.
    e.g: Maya says "Yeah! It is us that should be wondering why you are here!", when it would be more natural to say: "Yeah! It's us that should be wondering why you're here!"
    When the characters are reading their scripts though for the mock trial, this can be forgiven though (I can understand scripts sounding a little stiff XD)
  • Some text isn't centred correctly (like the first time you're moved to the District Court)
  • It might just be personal preference, but pauses are used a lot, and I think you can control their length, so some might want to be made a little shorter. It breaks the pacing a little bit. I turned on instant text typing because I was finding I'd click next before all the dialogue would appear, and wasn't sure when a pause was happening and when one wasn't.
  • Pressing Gumshoe's statement about who was at the restaurant and asking "How many tables were there?" added 2 pieces of evidence to the Court Record that weren't mentioned at all in that dialogue (Powers' Coffee and Penny's Coffee).
  • Penny changes to "Ms. Byrde" at one point during the cross examination when pressing the statement "When Miss Nichols started feeling unwell, the waitress took her to the back of the restaurant..."
  • Presenting the wrong evidence in the testimony revealing Maggey's an undercover cop didn't result in a penalty. (That's fine if you don't want any penalties in the case).
What I liked about the case
  • The custom assets are really nice.
  • I like how you've written the characters. It suits their personalities. (Maya's the only one who I think sounds too stiff, but her jokes are good)
  • I like the premise of the case being a mock trial done for TV.
  • I like the stage fright from being on TV causing Phoenix to need a refresher on cross examinations.
  • The jokes and cutaway lines are good. "The Wright Way Lunch" and the "did she think a gavel is a dog" joke XD
  • The trial is well structured so far IMO. It moves a little quickly, but I was able to follow what was happening, and join the dots to present the right evidence.
the.armenator wrote:Yeet so I just got through this thing and REALLY enjoyed it. Solid 8/10 cause the writing is good but could use some work, and I guess other people have pointed out some small logical fallacies that I didn't notice.
Since my SoC is in a google doc, I'm going to link it in this spoiler: I'm really excited for Round 2! Thanks for this :)
Thanks, both of you, for the kind words and helpful feedback! It seems that there was a lot more overlooked than I had suspected, but it shouldn't take too long to fix!
In fact, I have already made a few improvements:
Spoiler : CHANGELOG: The Judge's Cup - Round 1, ver 1.01 :
  • Lots of words have been contracted where needed! (It is safe to say that this problem was clearly my fault... Contracting words doesn't seem to come naturally sometimes. >-<)
  • Grammar, spellings, and phrasing have been changed in many, many places. It is a lot better now, I think.
  • A couple of the early timestamps have been aligned a bit better!
  • Powers' missing headshot has been found! (Looks as if the frame which revealed it must've been replaced at some point, and the action was not put on the new one.)
  • The coffee now appears at the correct place! (Seems there was a problem with a jump to another frame, which, for some reason, decided to make it pick up the evidence.)
  • The name-related mix-up has been corrected. (Yeah, that problem was the result of last-minute changes...)
  • The "contradiction coach" pun has been changed, hopefully to make it more understandable to non-British players. (The idea was that Maya said "trial train", and Phoenix says that it is more of a "contradiction coach", with a coach being a type of bus. If it still doesn't work, further adjustments may need to be made.)
  • Maggey now has the correct headshot, corresponding to her sprites.
  • Given some of Payne's lines to the judge, where they make more sense to be.
  • Some sprites have been changed to make them more appropriate in relation to the dialogue.
  • Fixed a messy transition after the final recess, wherein the timestamp frame still featured the background and sprite from the previous frame.
  • Added a little reference to the structure of the rounds of the competition.
Additionally, I will be working on an intro for the case, but it may take some time, because of the graphics which need to be created.
Further improvements, largely related to images, audio, and cross-examination formatting, are also being worked on!
The Anwser

Post by The Anwser »

Dunno if this is your guy's fault, but I keep having an issue where if you click through too fast, the sprites stop working. As in all of them. I think it has something to do with all the soft sweeping you have happening in the scene, rather than just hard cutting back and forth between the characters.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

The Anwser wrote:Dunno if this is your guy's fault, but I keep having an issue where if you click through too fast, the sprites stop working. As in all of them. I think it has something to do with all the soft sweeping you have happening in the scene, rather than just hard cutting back and forth between the characters.
Yeah, it's a well-known issue at this point. Saving, refreshing the page and reloading the save should fix it.

(And if it doesn't, refresh the page and load a save before it happened.)
The Anwser

Post by The Anwser »

Yeah that cleared it right up, cheers~