How to set game over redirect?

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Poketube
Spoken languages: English

How to set game over redirect?

Post by Poketube »

Essentially: I found the game over redirect option, and I'm curious. How do I make it so that once the player's health hits 0, It redirects to a game over? :atmey:
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: How to set game over redirect?

Post by Enthalpy »

When the player's health hits 0, AAO will either proceed to the frame marked by the last 'Set the "Game Over" redirection' or just end the game immediately.

If you need more than that, you'll need to be more specific. I don't think I understand the question.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Poketube

Post by Poketube »

I'm trying what you said. I'm testing. My health hits 0, then it just goes... poof! It's over, despite having a frame marked as game over redirect. Do I have it BEFORE the frame the health hits 0 on?
eerew

Post by eerew »

Poketube wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:00 am I'm trying what you said. I'm testing. My health hits 0, then it just goes... poof! It's over, despite having a frame marked as game over redirect. Do I have it BEFORE the frame the health hits 0 on?
Yes, it has to go before the 0 health frame, since the action sets the redirect only when the frame it's on is played. If the action came after the 0 health frame then there wouldn't be any frame set for the game over to redirect to, so it just goes to a "the end" screen.
Poketube

Post by Poketube »

i just tried putting it before the first testimony though i did have the frame skipped over with a go to frame button. does it have to before NUMBER wise or just before on the storyboard?
eerew

Post by eerew »

Poketube wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:42 am i just tried putting it before the first testimony though i did have the frame skipped over with a go to frame button. does it have to before NUMBER wise or just before on the storyboard?
Just before the game over frame, the frame number doesn't matter. All that matters is that the player plays through the frame sometime before the game over so that it sets the redirect. I would just put it on one of the first frames so you can guarantee the player touches it and you can find it easily if you need to edit the frame it redirects to.