Let's talk about your trials! (or any w.i.p)

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

GumGumshoe
Spoken languages: English and Spanish

Let's talk about your trials! (or any w.i.p)

Post by GumGumshoe »

I am very curious about the rest of the community's trials and how they got inspiration for them. Completed or not, talk about them with me! I'd love to hear you ramble!
Freeze! this is the police,pal! :gumshoe:
XavierWright
Spoken languages: English

Re: Let's talk about your trials! (or any w.i.p)

Post by XavierWright »

Spoilers for one of my fan cases:
Spoiler : :
My first ever case on here is called 'A New World Of Turnabouts'.
The case centers around a rookie defense attorney and prosecutor who are taking their first cases, and as is revealed later, the two are friends in law school.
The case is at first presented as a simple murder case. (I think, anyway) I'll mention that the almost every character uses sprites from a Canon character. The original reason for this was because when I initially made the case, I was a big dummy and was unaware of the fact that the art forums existed. Even after I discovered them however, I decide to keep using Canon character sprites for my OCs. The reason for this is because I wanted to, in a way, paint the Canon characters in a different light, whilst still making them unique people.
Let's take the defendant, Truman Acer for example. He uses the sprites of Kristoph Gavin, and we all know that dude is a shady scumbag who thinks the world should bow to him.
Truman, in contrast, whilst still acting like a professional person at times, is actually more prone to emotion, is more humbled and is actually a nice person.

This case was originally just gonna be a test for my skills, so it wasn't going to have an in-depth plot, probably just a simple single trial case. But then I wondered what else I could do with the characters, and if and I could actually do something more with them than just making them simple 'test subjects' as it were.

The Main Characters:
There are 2 playable characters in the game's main story. Technically 3, but the 3rd character is only part of a flashback sequence.
- Daniel Radcliff - The defense attorney. He uses Apollo Justice's sprites. A young man who passed the bar at 19. The way I wanted to distinguish him from Apollo was trying to make him dive headfirst into danger, trying to solve issues as soon as he can, whilst also showing off his inexperienced youth. Whether I actually captured that image or not, I dunno. He is only playable for the trial segment, the reason of which is because the first trial was just to get things rolling, and so you can understand Daniel a little bit. He is still a main character after his part is over, but the role of player character is handed over to the person I generally consider the true protagonist. (Consider Daniel a decoy protagonist if you wish, lol.)
- Markus Parkly - The prosecutor in charge of the case, who utilizes Phoenix Wright's sprites. He became a Prosecutor at the tender age of 20. He's not someone to mess with despite his age, though he can show a level insecurity and inexperience in a dire situation. He's the playable protagonist for the rest of the game.

The Flaws:
ANWOT was my first ever case, so it probably goes without saying that it's not perfect. However, when I first released it, I was actually quite proud of myself, and what I had made. And some people had said it was good, so I was quite satisfied.
But one day, I went back over it, and began to notice how heavily flawed it was. Things like deep cringe, pointless scenes, and flawed logic. Not to mention, I at one point inserted a character who had only one or two pieces of foreshadowing, and their appearance was completely out of nowhere.
One thing I especially hated myself for doing was giving the prosecutor an awfully cliche backstory. It was basically 'Waaah! Mommy and Daddy don't love me! They went partying instead of saving me! I love my other family more! Boo hoo hoo!'
It... was overdramatic, and as much it's nice to get some backstory on a character, the way I inserted it probably implied that it had some relevance to the story, which, ultimately it didn't.

Fortunately, I am currently remaking the case in PyWright, which will hopefully rectify the mistakes I made with the original AAO version. (Which will still be available on my profile, it just won't be Canon anymore, lol.),

Things I did like about my case:
The one thing I take away from this case is the flawed parts, and how to improve on them with future projects.

Oh, and the scenes where Markus got mistaken for Phoenix by Maya and Pearl, who accuse of him of being a cheater. I loved those. Dont worry, they do serve a purpose in the story and it's not a random joke I decided to insert, lol.

Anddddd that about wraps it up. Sorry for the long rant, but it felt good to talk about my first ever case. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

My game is about a scary thing that happens to one guy at a certain point of time. It's very spooky. Has some monsters in it. Won't be done for a long while because of the amount of drawings I'll need to do!
ImageImageImage
ikuzonos
Spoken languages: English, limited French

Post by ikuzonos »

Aww this is nice! Mild spoilers for my ongoing case, Last Chance for Turnabout
Spoiler : :
Funnily enough, I got part of the idea from a strange dream I had about three people who ran a talk show together, but one of them ended up jumping out a window. The rest of the dream was about serial killings in a hotel, which is completely irrelevant to the case, but it did feature notable Canadian comedian Colin Mochrie (can't explain that part). There's one extra detail that came with the dream, but it's a spoiler for a future part of the case.
I took part of that concept and slowly the rest of the mystery grew around it and the characters I made for it. LCfT is fun to write because it lets me write types of characters that I normally don't.
A fun bit of trivia about a part I had to axe: one of the characters is an influencer, and I originally wanted her to have accidentally filmed the murder (and have an iron clad alibi as a result), but I wasn't able to keep it in once I solidified other aspects of the case.
If you're reading this and haven't checked out the case, please do! I'm working on Part Two and hope to have it out soon.
GumGumshoe

Post by GumGumshoe »

@XavierWright
Wow! that's a really detailed synopsis
you have! so far it sounds so interesting i can't wait to play it
GumGumshoe

Post by GumGumshoe »

@ikuzonos I will defiantly check out the first part of your case! It sounds like a good mystery
GumGumshoe

Post by GumGumshoe »

@applekitty COOL! you're going to be doing your own art! I love that so much :D let me know if you ever get a part out cuz i would love to play a spooky game on this engine.
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

GumGumshoe wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:23 pm @applekitty COOL! you're going to be doing your own art! I love that so much :D let me know if you ever get a part out cuz i would love to play a spooky game on this engine.
For sure! It wouldn't have that typical Ace Attorney style, moreso my style. I lean very heavily into brighter colors and less detailed backgrounds, as well as characters. I can't say much more than that!
ImageImageImage
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

My Super Mystery Wars series was inspired by my love of anime Detective characters and my desire to mash them together like action figures in a Super Smash Bros or MCU Avengers kind of way. Unfortunately none of the main entries in the series are complete and probably won't be, because I've kind of lost interest in putting that much effort toward it. But Episode Phoenix was made for a contest involving Contradictions in the Law, and that one's the closest to being complete. It's the only one that's an actual trial. The others are just investigations. Episode Conan is fully planned out and its intro is complete, but the case itself still has a lot to go.

The ultimate plan for that project was to have a few characters go on their own separate adventures that would all eventually converge and tie together in one big grand finale that featured all of them, like the Avengers Endgame of detectives. The hardest part of this was finding an iconic enough villain character that could keep up with all of these top level mystery solvers without the whole thing being blown apart in one second. In the end, I chose the villain of Umineko for that slot. There's a lot of complementary themes that I wanted to see explored that would have lent themselves well to the whole "supernatural vs reality" idea, and I had a lot of ideas for various twists and turns, but I think the scope of the project is too unrealistic for me to finish by myself, so it's probably going to remain in its current state.

Champion of Turnabouts was for a contest with a theme of Deus Ex Machina so I picked something that revolved heavily around luck and low probabilities, poker. I wanted to test what I could do with the editor, and I was reading through some Nobuyuki Fukumoto manga at the time (author of Kaiji) so I picked something from that as an inspiration, since it happened to be a simplified, more doable project than going with straight up poker. Then I, of course, tied it in with Ace Attorney canon, because using existing characters made for significantly less work than drawing all new original ones. The format of Ace Attorney characters all having their own crazy different poses and breakdown sprites felt right at home in a Poker game to me, so I took that idea and ran with it. I'm particularly happy with how quickly I was able to finish this project. I feel like I had a very good vision from beginning to end of exactly what I was going to do, so it was just a matter of doing each step which I'd planned out in advance, and it worked out pretty well. This project also technically takes place in the Super Mystery Wars setting, but I'm considering it a "Gaiden" story, meaning that it doesn't have any bearing on the main plotline.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
GumGumshoe

Post by GumGumshoe »

applekitty wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:38 pm
GumGumshoe wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:23 pm @applekitty COOL! you're going to be doing your own art! I love that so much :D let me know if you ever get a part out cuz i would love to play a spooky game on this engine.
For sure! It wouldn't have that typical Ace Attorney style, moreso my style. I lean very heavily into brighter colors and less detailed backgrounds, as well as characters. I can't say much more than that!

OOOH that sounds like a interesting style! i'd def want to play it when you finish it :3
GumGumshoe

Post by GumGumshoe »

TimeAxis wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:17 pm My Super Mystery Wars series was inspired by my love of anime Detective characters and my desire to mash them together like action figures in a Super Smash Bros or MCU Avengers kind of way. Unfortunately none of the main entries in the series are complete and probably won't be, because I've kind of lost interest in putting that much effort toward it. But Episode Phoenix was made for a contest involving Contradictions in the Law, and that one's the closest to being complete. It's the only one that's an actual trial. The others are just investigations. Episode Conan is fully planned out and its intro is complete, but the case itself still has a lot to go.

The ultimate plan for that project was to have a few characters go on their own separate adventures that would all eventually converge and tie together in one big grand finale that featured all of them, like the Avengers Endgame of detectives. The hardest part of this was finding an iconic enough villain character that could keep up with all of these top level mystery solvers without the whole thing being blown apart in one second. In the end, I chose the villain of Umineko for that slot. There's a lot of complementary themes that I wanted to see explored that would have lent themselves well to the whole "supernatural vs reality" idea, and I had a lot of ideas for various twists and turns, but I think the scope of the project is too unrealistic for me to finish by myself, so it's probably going to remain in its current state.

Champion of Turnabouts was for a contest with a theme of Deus Ex Machina so I picked something that revolved heavily around luck and low probabilities, poker. I wanted to test what I could do with the editor, and I was reading through some Nobuyuki Fukumoto manga at the time (author of Kaiji) so I picked something from that as an inspiration, since it happened to be a simplified, more doable project than going with straight up poker. Then I, of course, tied it in with Ace Attorney canon, because using existing characters made for significantly less work than drawing all new original ones. The format of Ace Attorney characters all having their own crazy different poses and breakdown sprites felt right at home in a Poker game to me, so I took that idea and ran with it. I'm particularly happy with how quickly I was able to finish this project. I feel like I had a very good vision from beginning to end of exactly what I was going to do, so it was just a matter of doing each step which I'd planned out in advance, and it worked out pretty well. This project also technically takes place in the Super Mystery Wars setting, but I'm considering it a "Gaiden" story, meaning that it doesn't have any bearing on the main plotline.
wow.... you got a good thing going here! i'll def have to check out your work!