Trial: TURNABOUT SUICIDE (COMPLETED FINALLY!)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

karlkablisk
Spoken languages: English

Trial: TURNABOUT SUICIDE (COMPLETED FINALLY!)

Post by karlkablisk »

:godot: Hi, I'm Karl Kablisk and this is my First Trial on AAO! :p
PROGRESS: PART 1 DONE... But I'm reviewing it because it was created in version 5 or earlier.
Part 2 script more than 1/2 working.
Trial is already about a 2-4 hour playthrough.

Title: Suicide Turnabout
Playtest Link: HERE
Timeframe: Plausibly cannon, Takes place right before AA3.

Plot: Larry is depressed and through an interactive crime scene the player chooses which item Larry will use to end his life.
Phoenix wakes up in his temporary home and finds out Larry has been admitted to the hospital. As the investigation progresses you will meet some new characters (using old sprites, to be changed if I can get some more sprite help) and some familiar ones as well. The police are convinced Larry's suicide is an attempted murder and arrest
Spoiler : :
Larry's new Girlfriend, who are notorious for not being trust worthy
. With the task of defending a difficult client, can phoenix clear his client's name?

That's the short of it. I will always have the current status (which will mark how far you can go) in my signature.

3 Unique Features!!:

- Choose the murder weapon!

Since this is a turnabout about suicide, I put the method of the crime in the player's hands. Either a Knife or a Gun game play will vary slightly in terms of evidence, difficulty and way you have to use the clues to find the culprit. ALSO, the choice you make will carry on to part 2! So when you finish it, SAVE on the "The End" screen. You'll use that to carry your stuff over to part 2!

- Save it!
A kind of save feature that will use checkpoints or a more dynamic system if I can manage it so that it won't have to be broken in to parts, no frustration from game over screens!
[Save featured added to AAO so this was removed! "Save it!" will now mark check points as reminders to save the game!]

- Consultation!
A new feature I decided to put into it. Aside from testimony and presenting evidence you will have more manual control over your council when in court. This means I will be able to challenge the player in a few new ways during court. It may not be standard of AA style, but if you wanted to play the same game you could dust off the DS. While keeping with tradition I want to introduce new elements like this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some notes:

Suicide:
I don't see this done in most AA games and I'm trying to take known things about Ace Attorney and change them a little bit while keeping with the traditional form. Example, 1st scene is the crime as usual, but you PLAY OUT the crime. Since the 1st scene is a suicide, I thought the player should be the one in the control of that before going to phoenix. I hope to get an effect that gets you feeling like larry does.

I think I can get some of your early actions to effect certain things for later on in the game. For example if you choose the knife or gun, then either one of those things will be evidence, whereas the one you didn't choose will not (but maybe still present). Right now the bear is also another option, since I'm not ready to implement the bear its not set up, but I am thinking that choosing the bear will make things HARDER for you in the end. (He removes most evidence since there's no body or less body and the fact that its a living murder weapon.<undecided>) (LOL, yes there WAS a bear)

I have 2 other new ideas for gamplay mechanics for the game, I'm not ready for them yet so I won't announce them at this time. :p Maybe coming in part 2!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom Work Done:

I'm doing a lot of custom spiriting, animation and icons and Bgs etc. for this. I thought I was gonna get some help but it looks like I'm doing a lot of the work by myself lol. I've already had to customize some of the sounds and some ambient stuff (birds etc). And gone through 400+ sound effects up until this point to get the right sounds I want for certain parts. If I have the time I'll probably remix some of the songs myself too, :p Here are a few things I've done for it so far.
Spoiler : :
A less crazy lookin Ini Miny (Hinoko Teki)
A stamp
Crime scene
Knife Reflection
Even putting them in the long view

I've got lots more but those would be REALLY spoilers lol. I've done about 20 custom images so far and about 5 slight moderation/research stuff to get good custom content for this.
About what I'm trying to do and how you can help

I'll appreciate any Input. I'm building this in my spare time. The fact I can edit this from any computer is very helpful! :)

I'll take any critique, I want it to be a little funny, a lil goofy, maybe 75% based on the real chars 25% original spin (example: Maya's char is exaggerated from her real personality.) Same goes for the story its 75% cannon 25% borderline unbelievable, lol.

Please let me know if I cross the line and its too goofy (I saw one trial that had rick roll in it so I think anything goes actually). Let me know what breaks the illusion of this being a real Ace Attorney game (like a internet references would) whats forgivable, whats pushing the limits, what keeps the suspension of disbelief. What you think is good writing, what dialogue sounds awkward. Unintentional Spelling errors, inconsistency in relationships, oversights, plot holes and glitches.

Going over scenes over and over again seem to really help me make things more fluid.

For part 2 and its eventual playtest release keep in mind I'm going to be working on this so I may be working on it while you're viewing and something might just plain not function until the real release. Usually stuff near the end. I'll try to keep a "To be continued" message at the end to mark the end of my current progress. I'll take down this link when I'm done.

Other than all that, just post any questions, notes, bugs etc you find and I'll be keeping an eye out for this thread to help you guys out. I can't wait to hear your input! :)

Thanks guys,
Last edited by karlkablisk on Fri May 08, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Trials in Progress

Play: "Turnabout Suicide"
PROGRESS: Finished part 1! Currently reviewing since it was made a long time ago.

comments go here

"Gyakuten Rap" (short song timed to the game animation with evidence)
Progress: Complete

- KKL
~Count Olaf~

Re: Hi, I just joined and I'd like imput if youll playtest

Post by ~Count Olaf~ »

Welcome to the site, Karl Kablisk!

And for future reference, trials and playtests such as these go in the "Your Trials" board. :wink:

~Olaf~
$Fth wrote:A man with such a name as that is a clear gentleman.
GuardianDreamer wrote:That name sounds like it belongs to some peaceful person who doesn't want to be disturbed, but then when you DO disturb him, he goes berserk and destroys you.
Flandre

Post by Flandre »

*Sigh*
Please put this topic in somewhere else, alike in a trial section topic.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

You gave the link to the editor, so people won't be able to open it.
You should give the link to the game :
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/jeu.php?id_proces=6507

And yes, this link will work as long as your trial exists :wink:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

:godot: Thanks Unas! I changed it to the link you told me to use.

and now I'm in the right forum. Thanks for fast replies and help to everyone so far.
I'll get the hang of this site and the editor in no time! :)
Trials in Progress

PROGRESS: Finished part 1! Currently reviewing since it was made a long time ago.

comments go here

- KKL
Hodou Okappa

Re: Hi, I just joined and I'd like imput if you'll playtest

Post by Hodou Okappa »

First of all, how can Butz keep a bear in his pocket?

And more importantly, you can't Move anywhere from the room Maya's in.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

too silly? lol. the bear is a placeholder right now till i can set that up the way I want, but itll most likely be bear-ish or bear related. dont worry i can change the pocket part.

ill try to put a better notification in the game from now on. from the 1st room is the full extent of my progress so far since im realizing now that there are loops where people wont know if its actually ended yet. expect lil errors near those points. for example, at this time maya will keep telling you to clean up, more times than she should. lol.

thanks okappa!
Trials in Progress

comments go here

- KKL
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

Ok, got some work done today, made it up to the hospital. Figured out how to make evidence and other events trigger new conversations and how to get your char to move around without the background or chars popping up unwanted-like. I don't know how to play the music for when you back track though. hmm If I put it directly on the place then I don't have a place to run the stop command for the previous music, although I never saw if the music will automatically stop (probably not :p)
Trials in Progress

comments go here

- KKL
henke37
Security expert / tools programmer
Spoken languages: Swedish,English

Post by henke37 »

Of course it auto stops if a new one (as in different from the current one) is set to play.
Currently working on a redesign of Court-records.net.
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

Updated lil by lil over the last few days. I have the title now "Turnabout Suicide" with suicide being something I dont think I've seen much of in AA. I got most of the major plot elements figured out.

Put in some dialogue, Unlockable conversations, and a lil back and fourth to figure things out.

Furthest you can get in the game now is:
Larry's 5th dialogue option

I'll put a small thing in my signature so anyone can test and know when it ends.
Trials in Progress

comments go here

- KKL
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

Hey guys, how many frames before you think I should break it into parts? Do you guys do that because it keeps the files easier to load or does the program mess up more when its too long? let me know, thanks.
Trials in Progress

comments go here

- KKL
Narokh
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Narokh »

I'd say you should make them as big as you find comfortable. Loading a single big case can be less annoying than multiple smaller ones.

As for the points of splitting them up - I suggest that you take a look at the original games again. The points where there's a black screen with "to be continued" (and thus an option to save the game), are good ones to end a case in the case maker.

As a rule of thumb, the best thing to do is split up your case to the individual trial- and investigation phases. A very short investigation could of course be merged with the following trial, and likewise a huge day of trial could be split into two separate cases on the case maker.
Put them where you think they suit your case best.

The only thing I'd avoid is to make a cut just in the middle of some important events. That's not too good.

Hope this helps you
Visit my "Matt Silver: Ace Attorney" Trial Series Thread!

I also have a Sprite Thread.

Current Avatar created by Aer
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

...And the killer is... <see part 2>

lolz.

Ok, I thought there was some limitation or problem with having big files. If thats the case I'll just make a case long and add a save feature. I think I saw an easy way to do it. I'd rather have 1 case that has some points you can save to, than break it up.

Thanks for the answer man, thats what I needed to know :)

- KKL
Trials in Progress

comments go here

- KKL
karlkablisk

Post by karlkablisk »

Just updated the description :p progress is going along nicely despite my finals. -_-

Doesn't focus on Phoenix as much as it does with the story at hand. Should have new kinds of challenges, new chars (with hopefully some custom sprite art) and interesting twists and turns to the story. :)
Trials in Progress

comments go here

- KKL
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

karlkablisk wrote:Hey guys, how many frames before you think I should break it into parts? Do you guys do that because it keeps the files easier to load or does the program mess up more when its too long? let me know, thanks.
That habit was taken because Firefox 2 used to have bugs when loading pages that were too long. Therefore people kept their trials around 600 frames. As far as I know, no such bug have been reported since Firefox 3 was released, so I guess you can do as long as you want.

But keep in mind that as long as there's no save system, you shouldn't make too long parts to avoid the player to replay everything from the beginning if he loses :wink:

You could do like in the AA games : one part for investigations, and one or two parts for trial scenes :)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )