The Lawpocalypse - AWARDS CEREMONY

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Salamence
Spoken languages: English

Re: The Lawpocalypse

Post by Salamence »

Well I have lost every last bit of motivation. But I still don't wanna drop out.

Part 1 complete

SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Salamence wrote:Well I have lost every last bit of motivation. But I still don't wanna drop out.
How far are you into your case so far? Maybe shifting to something like selecting sprites, music and backgrounds might revive your inspiration?
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

It's been a while since we've had a hype shot so here you go!
Spoiler : :
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Legal Double Post.
Wow. Less than a month left. Surprised there's not as much activity on this contest.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

We have 1 week left!

How is everyone going?
ImageImageImageImage
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Pretty good. I have the investigation done so I should be able to send you that. Not sure about the trial section though.
Salamence

Post by Salamence »

Welp, I only have a very small section done. I still don't wanna drop out tho. Maybe a review of what I have will get me motivated to finish this.

Part 1 complete

SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

There's roughly 51 hours left, folks!
We've got 1 our of 6 entries submitted so far!
As no one's asked for extra time (and I'm not sure if we're allowed to extend) I'll give an extra 24 hours for people to submit, in case their time zones haven't reached the 17th yet.
ImageImageImageImage
Salamence

Post by Salamence »

I just submitted my entry.

Part 1 complete

DannyPlaysSomeGames
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by DannyPlaysSomeGames »

I submitted my entry through DMs on SuperAj3's Discord.

Once again, I had way too many other things to deal with and was only able to make 5 minutes of something. I wasn't even able to set up the rest of the mood and stage honestly. I guess this is what happens when you're overly ambitious but don't have the time for it. But hey, it's something.
Hey there
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

The end of the end has arrived!
5/6 submissions in and now we move to the judging phase! Thanks everyone for entering ans and giving it a go!

I'll chat with Ann-nna to work out how long we will need before sharing reviews and announcing the results.
ImageImageImageImage
ClaudiaMelodia

Post by ClaudiaMelodia »

excited to see and play the results
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

OK, so I'm not sure how consistent these reviews will come out, but Ann-nna and I split up the cases for reviewing. We'll then make sure once we've both played all 5, who wins and what awards to give out in the awards ceremony. (IDK if that's normally presented as a case, but I've made a case and written the introduction, so it's happening XD)

Welcome to the first of the "Lawpocalypse" entry reviews! I'm not that experienced writing these, but I've decided focus on 5 areas when reviewing cases, being "Story", "Visuals", "Music", "Presentation" and "Theme Relevance" throughout my playhthrioughs. So, now that my review method's out there, let's get reviewin'!
~~ Past, Present and Turnabout ~~
by DJJ6800
Spoiler : Review :
In a world, rebuilt 10 years after an apocalyptic invasion of creatures known as "Them" invade the planet, a group of survivors reclaim a town and establish a new society, named the "Community".

The case as submitted currently has its first investigation phase complete and overall made me curious as to what will be happening next. It centres around Ace Botanist (and former Attorney) Katherine Trunds and the murder of their community's leader. It felt like the world DJJ6800 had created was well crafted, with the Community's recent history, a brief glimpse into the post-apocalyptic town's government and its penal system (such as "Punishment 13 and its prior usage) as well as an understanding of the Community's response and method of protecting itself from the surrounding threat. In short, this case definitely fits the theme of this competition and I'm eager to see the case play out as well as get some more info on the backstory this first investigation phase created.

As far as visuals go, the game draws nearly all of its elements from the community-made assets here on AAO, as well as some customised backgrounds and cut-ins to depict "Them" or the town hall. The music choices showed a mix between official AA music and some varied genres of guitar-centric songs. I quite liked the theme picked for Helen. Overall the music picked fit well with the custom backgrounds and the overall setting of the case.

Presentation-wise, the case felt a little unpolished. There were some incomplete transitions between the different scenes you can examine, not much to do in terms of presenting or investigating the scene. Some talk topics ended in 2-3 blank frames and 2 pieces of evidence are added to the court record through a quick bit of dialogue after the investigation phase is over, despite us being able to visit that place during the investigation. (I understand this comp has time limitations, so I'm only pointing this out as an observation and not as a put-down.)

Either way, the atmosphere this case created felt cohesive and I felt it made sense and worked well together.

Overall I enjoyed this section of the case and hope to see more of this soon!
ImageImageImageImage
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Spoiler : :
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll be sure to keep it up for the future. (That is, when I get off my lazy butt and finish this case.) As for the presentation issues, it was a combination of time and my lack of experience with investigations in AAO. I’ll try and look over the tutorials more and get that polished up. Thanks again!
clcman

Post by clcman »

SuperAj3 wrote:In a world, rebuilt 10 years after an apocalyptic invasion of creatures known as "Them" invade the planet, a group of survivors reclaim a town and establish a new society, named the "Community".
Oh no! They took away humanity's ability to use proper nouns! They must have really taken their defeat in the Novus Ordo Turnaboutum comp badly.

Still, glad to see a theme-relevant entry made it in there.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken