[P] Courtroom background doesn't pan back during CEs

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

melelisun
Spoken languages: English, some Korean, some Japanese

[P] Courtroom background doesn't pan back during CEs

Post by melelisun »

Hi! I'm sorry to post so soon after my last post, but I've started working on my CEs and noticed a funky problem—just wanted to check I'm not missing something. When panning to one side of the courtroom, the camera won't return to any other part of the screen, either the center (witness) or the right (prosecution). It stays stuck on the left side.

A few notes:
  1. Problem occurs the first time there is a smooth scrolling transition. Using exclusively abrupt cuts works fine.
  2. Problem occurs on both AJ and PW courtroom bgs.
  3. Problem occurs both when setting the scene a single time using the sprites in different positions, like the forum tutorial, and also when setting the scene every time the camera moves.
  4. Defense bench sprites randomly disappear immediately following the smooth scroll.
Let me know if there's anything obvious I'm missing, or any other further information that can help! Thank you again for your hard work!

Gif recording / Gfycat link (sorry for the weird fades, I'm currently working on those as SVG popups):

SETUP

Blocks are structured as thus:

Code: Select all

BLOCK 1: CE SCENE SETUP
Place: "Courtroom benches (AJ)", Centered, None
Hide previously shown characters: TRUE
Music: "Courtroom Examination"
Characters present on screen: [Character sprite: Witness, Character position: Centered, Talking animation mode: Automatic], [Character sprite: Attorney, Character position: Left-aligned, Talking animation mode: automatic]

BLOCK 2: HOLD IT
Place: None, Align on talking character, None
Sound: "Reigen - Hold It!"
Popup: "hold-it"
Wait for: 1000

BLOCK 3: PANNING
Place: None, Align on talking character, Ease In
Pose of the talking character: [Character sprite: Attorney, Talking animation mode: automatic]
Wait for: 500

BLOCK 4: CHATTING
[Character sprite and dialogue here]

BLOCK 5: BACK TO WITNESS STAND
Place: None, Align on talking character, None
Pose of the talking character: [Character sprite: Witness, Talking animation mode: automatic]
FULL TROUBLE SHOOTING LOG

User Agent String: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3770.100 Safari/537.36
Link: http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=109242&debug (Frame 706)

Fix Attempt #1: Attempted implementing courtroom bg scene every time camera switches - FAILED
Problem persists; BG remains fixed on defense bench.

Fix Attempt #2: Attempted switching from AJ courtroom bg to PW courtroom bg - FAILED
Problem persists on both backgrounds.

Fix Attempt #3: Tried what happens when switching to and from Judge's bench - FAILED
Problem persists; when switching between judge's bench and courtroom benches, courtroom benches remain fixed on defense bench.

Fix Attempt #4: Attempted using debugger to jump to Frame #706 (back to beginning of CE) - FAILED
Problem persists; bench remains fixed on defense bench.

[NEW] Fix Attempt #5: Added manual text pause for the length of the transition [#500] during the smooth scroll - SUCCESS
Problem fixed; all camera movement during trial works as intended.
Last edited by melelisun on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
123fendas
Spoken languages: Svenska, English

Re: [P] Courtroom background doesn't pan back during CEs

Post by 123fendas »

http://www.aaonline.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12600 Could it be related to this?

What I do know is that when scrolling, I use a [#p70] at the start of the box, and it never creates these problems
melelisun

Post by melelisun »

123fendas wrote:http://www.aaonline.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12600 Could it be related to this?

What I do know is that when scrolling, I use a [#p70] at the start of the box, and it never creates these problems
I'm not certain since it happens both when I click and let the animation run -- tried out that [#p70] fix and it works like a charm! Thank you so much! Out of curiosity, what exactly does that tag indicate? I didn't happen to see it during the tutorial posts.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

melelisun wrote:
123fendas wrote:http://www.aaonline.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12600 Could it be related to this?

I'm not certain since it happens both when I click and let the animation run -- tried out that [#p70] fix and it works like a charm! Thank you so much! Out of curiosity, what exactly does that tag indicate? I didn't happen to see it during the tutorial posts.
If I'm not mistaken, the trials used to use centiseconds rather than the milliseconds it offers by default now. You see those represented here. Therefore, 10 centiseconds = 100 milliseconds, that is, [#p10] = [#100]

If you don't actually know what either of those are, [#NUMBER] is used to add pauses to how the text is being displayed, with NUMBER being the number of milliseconds you want the text to wait at that exact point before continuing on. With a p in between they become centiseconds, I believe.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
123fendas

Post by 123fendas »

Tiagofvarela wrote:
melelisun wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the trials used to use centiseconds rather than the milliseconds it offers by default now. You see those represented here. Therefore, 10 centiseconds = 100 milliseconds, that is, [#p10] = [#100]

If you don't actually know what either of those are, [#NUMBER] is used to add pauses to how the text is being displayed, with NUMBER being the number of milliseconds you want the text to wait at that exact point before continuing on. With a p in between they become centiseconds, I believe.
Yeah, [#p70] is something I use out of habit, not out of necessity; I was not exactly sure about what the p meant and what it meant if I removed it, but what I did know is that [#p<number>] works, so it's what I've been using.
melelisun

Post by melelisun »

Ahh, that's really useful to know! Thank you! :]
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

This is on my to-do list, but at this point I'm formalizing the queue. Thanks for the report!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Post by drvonkitty »

Are there any merged frames during the scroll? I can't tell from your setup. A similar bug occurs if you merge frames during a scroll - it basically breaks the visuals of the trial. I reported it here.

melelisun

Post by melelisun »

drvonkitty wrote:Are there any merged frames during the scroll? I can't tell from your setup. A similar bug occurs if you merge frames during a scroll - it basically breaks the visuals of the trial. I reported it here.
I specifically thought that merged frames would cause the problem, so there are no merged frames. Thanks for the link though, good to know that's the case!
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Now that I've had more of a chance to look at this, do all of the problematic test cases use the Ease In transition?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
melelisun

Post by melelisun »

Enthalpy wrote:Now that I've had more of a chance to look at this, do all of the problematic test cases use the Ease In transition?
Sorry for the late reply — yes, all of them are Ease In!
123fendas

Post by 123fendas »

melelisun wrote:
Enthalpy wrote:Now that I've had more of a chance to look at this, do all of the problematic test cases use the Ease In transition?
Sorry for the late reply — yes, all of them are Ease In!
Linear (Hard) is the recommended scrolling setting; the other ones have been known to cause issues.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

In greater detail, the non-linear scrolls have been known to cause this exact problem where using them on time frames prevents the player from correctly displaying characters and scrolling to the various positions on large backgrounds.

As you found, you can fix this by not using a timer, but you can also fix this by using a linear scroll.

We have this issue fixed on the development version of AAO, and this will be fixed in the next update. I've spoken with Unas, who has said that he'll update AAO when I give the word and he's back from vacation. I'll hold off on the update until the current bug backlog is cleared, so I'm hopeful we can have the fix uploaded this month.
melelisun

Post by melelisun »

Thanks so much for the info!