Butterfly Effect

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

ikuzonos
Spoken languages: English, limited French

Re: Butterfly Effect

Post by ikuzonos »

DJJ6800 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:11 pm "Paint Ghosts Over Everything" by ikuzonos

Review:
Spoiler : :
Trust me. I didn't think I'd hear her say that either.

Synopsis: The main change in this story is "What if Kristoph adopted Trucy after State v. Enigmar?"

Story: The story takes place between present day and flashbacks, though primarily with the latter. It's basically a redo of Apollo Justice, Case 1, except with Kristoph as the defendant instead of Phoenix. The present day scenes focus on Apollo and Trucy speaking to Kristoph via spirit channeling. Some noticeable changes come with this new universe, such as the aforementioned Kristoph being Trucy's adopted father, Kristoph being the defendant, Franziska prosecuting instead of Payne, and the relationships between some of the characters being explored in a new light.

Presentation: There are some custom backgrounds and sprites used for some of the characters. They all worked well and I didn't come across any noticeable problems with them, nor did I come across any major glitches. I especially liked the adult Pearl sprites.

Gameplay: Standard Ace Attorney gameplay, but with a unique twist considering who the defendant is. The logic flowed well and I wasn't particularly stumped on any questions. The game itself isn't that long, and it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to complete it.

Theme Relevance: This, in my opinion, is both the strength and the weakness of this case. The change in the timeline is an engaging one to be sure. And it's not exactly something people usually think of when they think "Ace Attorney AUs," like the JFA bad end. It brings up some interesting plot points but at the same time, I feel the case doesn't go far enough with exploring this new universe and why things are the way they are. For instance, there's Maya being dead, Pearl being the new Kurain Master, and Kristoph even trying to kill Trucy. But aside from a few sentences here and there, we don't have a lot of time devoted to them. Heck, they could almost be written out entirely and the story wouldn't change much. Still, for what we got, I was invested with this universe.

Overall: "Paint Ghosts Over Everything" is a neat little case that explores an interesting AU and interprets characters in a different light than what we're accustomed to seeing. But what's preventing me from giving this a glowing endorsement is the lack of depth to the world itself and the ideas given. If there's ever a follow up to this case, I'd like to see more details and more exploration into this world. Because this is a very interesting setup. Good job either way.
Next up is "Passport? Check. Turnabout? Check," by SuperAj3 and Tiagofverla!
Awsome2464 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:56 pm Paint Ghosts Over Everything by izukonos

What if Trucy was adopted by Kristoph Gavin instead of Phoenix Wright?

Synopsis: While Apollo Justice and Trucy Gavin go to Kurain Village to channel her father, we alternate to a flashback where Kristoph is the defendant in Turnabout Trump.

Story: The story is definitely a bit on the shorter side, all things considered, but that's definitely not a bad thing. The opening was very well executed, slowly feeding and teasing the reader information as to what's going on in this world. But the flashback, which is the main story, is essentially a complete retelling of Turnabout Trump, only the true culprit is the defendant. It doesn't fall into plagiarism by any means, but I do feel like there was room to try and shake things up a bit. I'll go into further detail during the "Theme Relevance" section, but the parts of the story that ARE relevant to the idea of a Trucy Gavin feel a bit... vague? We see flashbacks of Apollo seeing her a few times in various locations, yet we only see it happen once in-game. It almost feels like there's an entire part of this case that we missed. But without spoiling, I do appreciate the subtlety of the final flashback's ending and the answer it brings to a question that I had since the beginning. Overall, a pretty good story that left me asking a few questions, but definitely engaging.

Presentation: Looked and felt like an Ace Attorney case. The custom Pearl sprites were a phenomenal choice (and actually makes her look like an adult and not a tall child), and while the Gavin Law Offices background had a bigger resolution than 4:3 and made for a taller Examine window, it still felt like a background that would exist in Ace Attorney. I do have a minor nitpick, though, with the date/location box saying "Three Years Ago" every time. Unless stated otherwise that we're back in the present, the reader can infer that we're still in the past. Again, just a minor nitpick, but something to keep in mind should you write something like this again.

Gameplay: It had your standard Investigation and Trial that you'd expect from Ace Attorney. Though a slight change during cross-examinations was when pressing certain statements, you could pick which part of the statement you wanted more information on, which could either provide more information or lead to nothing. While nothing ground-breaking, it was still a pretty interesting addition that actually made the player think a bit more.

Theme Relevance: This is the part where I'm actually a bit torn. While Kristoph adopting Trucy is meant to be the change that triggers the Butterfly Effect, it doesn't really feel like it was utilized to its potential. It does make sense how Kristoph adopting Trucy would lead to him being the one to see Shadi Smith at the Borscht Bowl Club years later, but I feel like Trucy still being the exact same witty and optimistic girl despite having a different father is a bit unrealistic, especially one like Kristoph. Granted, she is a bit more serious in this case, mainly when talking to and about Kristoph, but she's basically the original character when she's speaking to Apollo. I would imagine there being some sort of larger difference in personality. That all said, since the focus of the case is on Gavin's trial, it was, as stated in the "Story" section, pretty good. Again, it's logical how Gavin would've been in that situation after being the one to adopt Trucy, and it's not an exact clone of the original case, even with that change.

Final Thoughts: "Paint Ghosts Over Everything" was a pretty good case. It had things I enjoyed and things I felt like could've been improved. But you most absolutely should be proud of yourself, izukonos, and I encourage everyone give it a playthrough should they publish it.
Thank you both for your feedback, I appreciate it! I, uh, actually have a lot of extended lore surrounding this universe, but the AAO casemaker isn't the best medium for it. That said, I'll see what I can do about making some of the details clearer & further elaborated on before I showcase it.
Awsome2464
Spoken languages: English

Post by Awsome2464 »

"Passport? Check. Turnabout? Check!" by SuperAj3 and Tiagofverla

What if Athena had traveled to Khura'in instead of Phoenix?

Synopsis: Shortly after arriving in Khura'in, Athena gets framed for theft. Now it's up to Maya to defend her and prove her innocence.

Story: This is a pretty short entry, but in terms of what we get, the story is well-written and gets me invested in what's to come. The idea of Maya taking the defense role is a great idea. It's also nice to see a Khura'in case where the consequence of the DC Act ISN'T death. Again, not really much here in terms of actual story, but I hope that changes down the road.

Presentation: The custom character sprites were excellent and fit their roles, the interactions between Maya and Ah'yung were funny, and the 2 canon characters (well, 3 if you include the Ahlbi examination) we see in this entry are written excellently and believably. I also liked the panning GIF backgrounds used in establishing shots.

Gameplay: It was your typical Investigation segment. I did find it odd that when talking to Fulai in the airport, there's no default statements when examining the background or presenting evidence. Obviously it's not game-breaking, but it stands out when the other scenes have dialogue set up. But other than that, nothing really seemed broken or odd.

Theme Relevance: I'm definitely excited to see that a consequence of Athena's arrival was a completely different set of circumstances than we got in The Foreign Turnabout. It truly does feel like a natural instance of what the Butterfly Effect implies, how one small change creates a large difference.

Final Thoughts: Again, there's sadly not much to work with at this moment in time, but what we DO have makes me want to see more. I do hope the two of you finish this case, because there's definitely potential here.
Image Image
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

The Toxic Turnabout by MasqueradeDemure and BrushApocalypse
Always nice to see a case entry from (I believe) two first time case makers. So how do these two do on their first case?
Understatement of the century.

Synopsis: What if Dahlia had successfully killed Phoenix?

Story: The story of this case is an alternate version of 3-1 where Dahlia actually manages to kill Phoenix with the poison. She's charged with the crime and it's up to defense attorney Raymond Shields to...well, not acquit her but get her the lightest sentence possible. This is easily the strongest point for the case, as the story and writing was excellent. I'm always a fan of some interactions with good old Uncle Ray and he is portrayed spot on in this case. I especially love the interactions between him and the prosecution. I won't say anything about that yet but it's fun to watch and got quite a few chuckles from me. Plus, there's Doug Swallow, who has an interesting interpretation and gives credence to the belief that almost every AA victim is a jerk. Finally, there's an OC who...has a certain fascination with a certain community who dresses up like animals. I'd say more but I know next to nothing about said community so I'm playing it as safe as possible.

Presentation: Sad to say, this is probably the weakest part of the case. While I liked the custom sprites used for Doug Swallow, the OC, and Uncle Ray, it had a few noticeable problems that keep it from being well polished. Dialogue boxes moved past the standard three lines and I encountered a few glitches and bugs while playing. Still, once everything was figured out, it ran alright. And this is their first case so it's at least somewhat understandable that they won't get everything down on the first try. Still, I'd have had this tested before releasing it.

Gameplay: A different experience, considering we're playing as someone who isn't necessarily aiming for a Not Guilty but it still feels like an AA case. As mentioned above, there were some flaws in the gameplay but that could be fixed with some testing before it's released to the public.

Theme Relevance: Like the last case, we immediately see the impact of the change in the universe and it shows its differences right away. Phoenix being dead is already a shocking start but it seems like the changes will go even further with developments from two different characters whose character arcs aren't necessarily completed by this time in the AA timeline. The case isn't complete but I look forward to seeing where the development goes from there.

Overall: "The Toxic Turnabout" was a lot of fun and really good, especially for a first case. The presentation issues can overshadow some of the story and writing if it gets to you but with a bit of beta testing, this case should run smoothly. I look forward to seeing more from these two casemakers and I applaud them for a job well done here.
Next up is "Ace of Turnabouts" by drvonkitty and ZekromFan57!
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

"The Toxic Turnabout" by MasqueradeDemure and BrushApocalypse

What if Dahlia Hawthorne actually managed to kill Phoenix Wright?

Synopsis: Defense attorney Raymond Shields must defend Dahlia Hawthorne for the murder of her boyfriend Phoenix Wright, a crime she insists that she's guilty of.

Story: Easily my favorite part of this case. This alternate version of Turnabout Memories mostly consists of canon characters and events, and they all feel and flow exactly like I would expect them to given this small yet impactful change, or at the very least they didn't feel out of place. It's rare for me to see Raymond Shields in any sort of fan work (though that might just be me not looking hard enough), so it's always a welcome addition, as well as the presence of another canon Ace Attorney character that I rarely see used that I won't reveal the identity of here. The interpretation of Doug Swallow is a bit on the jerk side, but I'm not saying that as a bad thing, especially since it's nowhere near as insufferable as other characters in this series (looking at you, Nahyuta). And the OC witness character was extremely relatable (in terms of behavior, not their clothing). Not really much I can say about that without giving much away. Also, one final comment: Dahlia's response to being told that "poetry isn't an elective you take every day" got a genuine laugh out of me. Nice work.

Presentation: There were definitely a lot of noticeable issues I came across while playing. Some were relatively minor, such as writing/grammar errors or having a 4th row in the dialogue box that consisted of nothing but blank space, but there was one issue where the devs needed to be contacted in order to fix. I was still able to get through the entry with relative ease, but I definitely recommend making sure the case is well-polished for a potential public release (which I do recommend you do one day).

Gameplay: Looks and feels like standard Ace Attorney, though with how story-focused this case is, it's to be expected.

Theme Relevance: Phoenix Wright dies before ever becoming an attorney. That absolutely will have a long-lasting impact on the time line, but in terms of the immediate future, it showcases some changes that feel like a natural consequence, and it ties back to how the canon characters we see in this case feel and act like I'd expect them to.

Final Thoughts: Aside from issues mentioned in the Presentation section, I honestly felt like I was playing a legitimate canon case with how well-written it was. It's currently not completed, but I certainly hope you complete and release it, as I'm very interested in seeing how this all ends.
Image Image
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

"The Ace of Turnabouts" by drvonkitty and ZekromFan57
Aren't we all, in some way?

Synopsis: What if Vera died in the bad ending of Apollo Justice?

Story: During a meeting at a poker club, Phoenix Wright finds his opponent murdered due to a strike to the head. Now, with no other options left, and with a prosecutor that really has it out for him, he must turn to rookie defense attorney Apollo Justice to clear his name. Oh...wait, that's a completely different case. Let me start over.
During a meeting at a poker club, Phoenix Wright finds his opponent murdered due to a strike to the head. Now, with no other options left, and with a prosecutor that really has it out for him, he must turn to rookie defense attorney ATHENA CYKES to clear his name. Completely different cases, mind you.
Jokes aside, even the case itself acknowledges the similarities to Apollo Justice: Case 1. And it works off of them really well. The writing in this case is also a strong point, with tensions going on between Athena and the very surprising prosecutor. Plus, the OCs are done very well with an interesting baristo (not barista) and a manager that is practically a Karen. Fun stuff.

Presentation: No noticeable problems with the graphics and characters. The custom sprites worked well for each character. I especially loved the choice of sprites for the prosecutor. Very well polished.

Gameplay: As in drvonkitty's other case (A Turnabout Called Justice) this case uses Widget 2.0 as a gameplay feature. Basically, it's an updated version of the Mood Matrix. I had a lot of fun using it as a mechanic and I think it's handled very well here. Otherwise, it's a typical AA case, though the mystery feels more like one of the later games rather than the original trilogy, which you could see as a good thing or a bad thing. Me, I don't mind it at all.

Theme Relevance: Probably the best part about this case in my view. The differences between this universe and the canon universe are major and it shows in the world and especially the characters. You feel the more depressing tone that comes from a world in which Vera died and how the changes effected everyone both related and unrelated to her. Very well done here.

Overall: I was really looking forward to seeing this collaboration between the veteran writer who brought us "A Turnabout called Justice" and the new writer who brought us "Dream of a Better Turnabout." And boy, did this deliver. It's polished, it's fun, the mystery is intriguing and it sucks you into the world it creates. One other thing I should mention is that this seems to be a "Part 1" towards a series of cases showcasing this universe, as they tease what they'll do in the future at the end of the case. If that's true, I look forward to seeing more from them, as well as hope this won't take six years to complete like drvonkitty's other project. Fantastic work!
Last but not least is "Turnabout Vengeance" by Bannedfrom7.
MasqueradeDemure

Post by MasqueradeDemure »

Always nice to see a case entry from (I believe) two first time case makers. So how do these two do on their first case?

Story: The story of this case is an alternate version of 3-1 where Dahlia actually manages to kill Phoenix with the poison. She's charged with the crime and it's up to defense attorney Raymond Shields to...well, not acquit her but get her the lightest sentence possible. This is easily the strongest point for the case, as the story and writing was excellent. I'm always a fan of some interactions with good old Uncle Ray and he is portrayed spot on in this case. I especially love the interactions between him and the prosecution. I won't say anything about that yet but it's fun to watch and got quite a few chuckles from me. Plus, there's Doug Swallow, who has an interesting interpretation and gives credence to the belief that almost every AA victim is a jerk. Finally, there's an OC who...has a certain fascination with a certain community who dresses up like animals. I'd say more but I know next to nothing about said community so I'm playing it as safe as possible.

Presentation: Sad to say, this is probably the weakest part of the case. While I liked the custom sprites used for Doug Swallow, the OC, and Uncle Ray, it had a few noticeable problems that keep it from being well polished. Dialogue boxes moved past the standard three lines and I encountered a few glitches and bugs while playing. Still, once everything was figured out, it ran alright. And this is their first case so it's at least somewhat understandable that they won't get everything down on the first try. Still, I'd have had this tested before releasing it.

Gameplay: A different experience, considering we're playing as someone who isn't necessarily aiming for a Not Guilty but it still feels like an AA case. As mentioned above, there were some flaws in the gameplay but that could be fixed with some testing before it's released to the public.

Theme Relevance: Like the last case, we immediately see the impact of the change in the universe and it shows its differences right away. Phoenix being dead is already a shocking start but it seems like the changes will go even further with developments from two different characters whose character arcs aren't necessarily completed by this time in the AA timeline. The case isn't complete but I look forward to seeing where the development goes from there.

Overall: "The Toxic Turnabout" was a lot of fun and really good, especially for a first case. The presentation issues can overshadow some of the story and writing if it gets to you but with a bit of beta testing, this case should run smoothly. I look forward to seeing more from these two casemakers and I applaud them for a job well done here.

Synopsis: Defense attorney Raymond Shields must defend Dahlia Hawthorne for the murder of her boyfriend Phoenix Wright, a crime she insists that she's guilty of.

Story: Easily my favorite part of this case. This alternate version of Turnabout Memories mostly consists of canon characters and events, and they all feel and flow exactly like I would expect them to given this small yet impactful change, or at the very least they didn't feel out of place. It's rare for me to see Raymond Shields in any sort of fan work (though that might just be me not looking hard enough), so it's always a welcome addition, as well as the presence of another canon Ace Attorney character that I rarely see used that I won't reveal the identity of here. The interpretation of Doug Swallow is a bit on the jerk side, but I'm not saying that as a bad thing, especially since it's nowhere near as insufferable as other characters in this series (looking at you, Nahyuta). And the OC witness character was extremely relatable (in terms of behavior, not their clothing). Not really much I can say about that without giving much away. Also, one final comment: Dahlia's response to being told that "poetry isn't an elective you take every day" got a genuine laugh out of me. Nice work.

Presentation: There were definitely a lot of noticeable issues I came across while playing. Some were relatively minor, such as writing/grammar errors or having a 4th row in the dialogue box that consisted of nothing but blank space, but there was one issue where the devs needed to be contacted in order to fix. I was still able to get through the entry with relative ease, but I definitely recommend making sure the case is well-polished for a potential public release (which I do recommend you do one day).

Gameplay: Looks and feels like standard Ace Attorney, though with how story-focused this case is, it's to be expected.

Theme Relevance: Phoenix Wright dies before ever becoming an attorney. That absolutely will have a long-lasting impact on the time line, but in terms of the immediate future, it showcases some changes that feel like a natural consequence, and it ties back to how the canon characters we see in this case feel and act like I'd expect them to.

Final Thoughts: Aside from issues mentioned in the Presentation section, I honestly felt like I was playing a legitimate canon case with how well-written it was. It's currently not completed, but I certainly hope you complete and release it, as I'm very interested in seeing how this all ends.
Thanks for the feedback! Sorry about the presentation issues again, I was scrambling a bit to get the to the end of the recess during the last few days- so I didn't get to polish up as much as I'd like. To be honest those last few days of working on the case got a bit close to burning me out too, so it's probably gonna be a good while before I get back to it, at least. We both might've bit off just a tiny bit more than we could chew :gumshoe:. I'll try my best to publish it one day though if you guys want to see more!
Also, what do you guys have against comfy bear onesies? /j
Good luck to the rest of the contestants! I'm excited to be part of a ceremony for once instead of just lurking ^.^
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

"Ace of Turnabouts" by drvonkitty & ZekromFan57

What if Vera Misham's trial had a much darker outcome?

Synopsis: Athena Cykes returns to America to hopefully be hired by the legendary Phoenix Wright. Instead, she quickly ends up defending him in court for the murder of the Chief Justice.

Story: The writing is definitely wonderful for reasons I'll elaborate more on in the Theme Relevance section. Until then, here's the basics: the crime in this case is very similar to that of Turnabout Trump. However, not only does the story, itself, acknowledge the similarities, but the similarities actually play a role in the story (if that makes sense). The interactions between Athena and Trucy are excellent, and the prosecutor's character is definitely executed well and believable. And based on the ending, it seems like you two have more plans for this alternate universe. If that's true, then I can't wait to see what becomes of it!

Presentation: While I've seen all the custom character sprites used before in other cases, the personalities given to them in this particular case are so well-written that I fully accept them as original characters. The custom backgrounds look good for the most part, though it's painfully obvious that the restaurant kitchen is a house kitchen. Other than that, a good-looking case overall.

Gameplay: With Athena in the driver's seat, using the Mood Matrix was inevitable, which I was high-key excited about (it's one of my favorite AA mechanics). There was only one instance where I needed to use the walkthrough, and admittedly, I wasn't really sure if I would've figured it out on my own without guessing all the possibilities, but then again, that feels like AA in a nutshell at times, so make of that what you will. But for the other 99% of the time, it flowed well and I didn't get lost or confused.

Theme Relevance: Without a doubt the strongest element of this case. Right off the bat, the case had a whole monologue dedicated to how one choice can make a large difference. It really felt like it highlighted the comp theme without explicitly stating that it's a comp entry. The death of Vera Misham and the ultimate failure of the Jurist System left a heavy impact on the cast, and it's absolutely believable in how it's portrayed.

Final Thoughts: If you guys don't publish this wonderfully made completed case for the public, I'll hack into your accounts and do it myself. (for legal reasons, that is a joke) And if everyone else doesn't play it, then... I dunno. Making you play it is a bit of a harder task.

"Turnabout Vengeance" by Bannedfrom7

What if Phoenix had gotten Matt Engarde an acquittal?

Synopsis: Godot, as a defense attorney, must defend Desiree Delite for the murder of Luke Atmey.

Story: While the case isn't complete, there's certainly a lot going for it, especially for it being an entry started so late into the competition. This case is set some time after The Stolen Turnabout, with Luke Atmey being acquitted for being Mask DeMasque, only to be murdered in an alley with Desiree Delite passed out nearby. The characters feel well-written and true to form, and there's an air of mystery surrounding a "plan" Godot has in store for the case. What is this "plan"? I guess we'll have to wait until the case is completed. One minor complaint I have in this department: there's a running joke(?) about the custom Judge's nationality that definitely feels like it overstays its welcome. A good example of "funny the first time, but gets old the more it's repeated". It doesn't happen too often, but I was rolling my eyes a bit by the end.

Presentation: Even though this is the author's first case, it definitely feels pretty polished for the most part. It does lack any character popups when showing the whole courtroom, but given the amount of custom images that would be needed for that to work with the short amount of time had, I suppose it makes sense. Also, the detective(s) don't have any entries in the Court Record, which is a bit puzzling (especially since even the Judge has one).

Gameplay: Standard Ace Attorney stuff. The logic flowed well and didn't leave me scratching my head.

Theme Relevance: If Phoenix was out of the picture by the time Diego Armando awoke from his coma, it wouldn't make sense for Godot to become a prosecutor, so that's already a great start by keeping him as a defense attorney. Also in this case is a canon character taking on a different role than usual, which is explained in a way that makes sense given the circumstances. I suppose I'll have to wait to see the full story to see how exactly Desiree fits into this and how the Butterfly Effect affected her, but overall, this alternate universe of "Godot: Ace Attorney" makes sense as a result of Phoenix's decision.

Final Thoughts: Again, I'm impressed with how much was in here despite Bannedfrom7 entering late. (Then again, I got a decent amount of stuff in my entry for "Shelter in Place" despite me starting late, so I guess there's that) I'm definitely intrigued as to where the story is going and what's to come next.
Image Image
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

DJJ6800 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:18 pm "The Ace of Turnabouts" by drvonkitty and ZekromFan57
Aren't we all, in some way?

Synopsis: What if Vera died in the bad ending of Apollo Justice?

Story: During a meeting at a poker club, Phoenix Wright finds his opponent murdered due to a strike to the head. Now, with no other options left, and with a prosecutor that really has it out for him, he must turn to rookie defense attorney Apollo Justice to clear his name. Oh...wait, that's a completely different case. Let me start over.
During a meeting at a poker club, Phoenix Wright finds his opponent murdered due to a strike to the head. Now, with no other options left, and with a prosecutor that really has it out for him, he must turn to rookie defense attorney ATHENA CYKES to clear his name. Completely different cases, mind you.
Jokes aside, even the case itself acknowledges the similarities to Apollo Justice: Case 1. And it works off of them really well. The writing in this case is also a strong point, with tensions going on between Athena and the very surprising prosecutor. Plus, the OCs are done very well with an interesting baristo (not barista) and a manager that is practically a Karen. Fun stuff.

Presentation: No noticeable problems with the graphics and characters. The custom sprites worked well for each character. I especially loved the choice of sprites for the prosecutor. Very well polished.

Gameplay: As in drvonkitty's other case (A Turnabout Called Justice) this case uses Widget 2.0 as a gameplay feature. Basically, it's an updated version of the Mood Matrix. I had a lot of fun using it as a mechanic and I think it's handled very well here. Otherwise, it's a typical AA case, though the mystery feels more like one of the later games rather than the original trilogy, which you could see as a good thing or a bad thing. Me, I don't mind it at all.

Theme Relevance: Probably the best part about this case in my view. The differences between this universe and the canon universe are major and it shows in the world and especially the characters. You feel the more depressing tone that comes from a world in which Vera died and how the changes effected everyone both related and unrelated to her. Very well done here.

Overall: I was really looking forward to seeing this collaboration between the veteran writer who brought us "A Turnabout called Justice" and the new writer who brought us "Dream of a Better Turnabout." And boy, did this deliver. It's polished, it's fun, the mystery is intriguing and it sucks you into the world it creates. One other thing I should mention is that this seems to be a "Part 1" towards a series of cases showcasing this universe, as they tease what they'll do in the future at the end of the case. If that's true, I look forward to seeing more from them, as well as hope this won't take six years to complete like drvonkitty's other project. Fantastic work!
Last but not least is "Turnabout Vengeance" by Bannedfrom7.
Awsome2464 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:46 pm "Ace of Turnabouts" by drvonkitty & ZekromFan57

Synopsis: Athena Cykes returns to America to hopefully be hired by the legendary Phoenix Wright. Instead, she quickly ends up defending him in court for the murder of the Chief Justice.

Story: The writing is definitely wonderful for reasons I'll elaborate more on in the Theme Relevance section. Until then, here's the basics: the crime in this case is very similar to that of Turnabout Trump. However, not only does the story, itself, acknowledge the similarities, but the similarities actually play a role in the story (if that makes sense). The interactions between Athena and Trucy are excellent, and the prosecutor's character is definitely executed well and believable. And based on the ending, it seems like you two have more plans for this alternate universe. If that's true, then I can't wait to see what becomes of it!

Presentation: While I've seen all the custom character sprites used before in other cases, the personalities given to them in this particular case are so well-written that I fully accept them as original characters. The custom backgrounds look good for the most part, though it's painfully obvious that the restaurant kitchen is a house kitchen. Other than that, a good-looking case overall.

Gameplay: With Athena in the driver's seat, using the Mood Matrix was inevitable, which I was high-key excited about (it's one of my favorite AA mechanics). There was only one instance where I needed to use the walkthrough, and admittedly, I wasn't really sure if I would've figured it out on my own without guessing all the possibilities, but then again, that feels like AA in a nutshell at times, so make of that what you will. But for the other 99% of the time, it flowed well and I didn't get lost or confused.

Theme Relevance: Without a doubt the strongest element of this case. Right off the bat, the case had a whole monologue dedicated to how one choice can make a large difference. It really felt like it highlighted the comp theme without explicitly stating that it's a comp entry. The death of Vera Misham and the ultimate failure of the Jurist System left a heavy impact on the cast, and it's absolutely believable in how it's portrayed.

Final Thoughts: If you guys don't publish this wonderfully made completed case for the public, I'll hack into your accounts and do it myself. (for legal reasons, that is a joke) And if everyone else doesn't play it, then... I dunno. Making you play it is a bit of a harder task.
Thank you both for the reviews! I'm really glad you enjoyed it & I'm excited to showcase. This was a ton of fun to write for, and it's been very cool to be back on AAO doing AAO things again.
DJJ6800 wrote:I look forward to seeing more from them, as well as hope this won't take six years to complete like drvonkitty's other project.
excuse u sir, i'll have you know it took seven years to release my other project, not six, get it wright plox

DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

And now for the last review of the bunch, Turnabout Vengeance by Bannedfrom7. Yet another first time casemaker. And a late entry too.
Godot: The man with a plan.

Synopsis: What if the miracle never happen?

Story: Godot is back in action as a defense attorney after waking up from his five year coma. With Phoenix out of the picture, he has no reason to become a prosecutor so his move back to attorney was justified. This time, he's defending Desiree DeLite (who I believe is an underrated character) as she's accused of killing Luke Atmey. Simple story, and the case only has a little bit complete but it still shows potential for what little is complete. I'm especially wondering what the role that a certain actor turned detective has in this coming story. They talk about a plan but they don't go into more detail, only adding to the potential this case has, should it be fully completed. Oh, and I love that newspaper.

Presentation: Custom sprites for the judge and prosecutor that work well. And the rest of the sprites work fine, too.

Gameplay: Standard AA gameplay. And there's only a little complete so there's not much to say other than that.

Theme Relevance: The JFA bad ending is probably one of the most popular places for spawning AUs in the AA universe. None of the ones that I've seen were quite as insane as the DWaM case focused on that topic (though that one had an apocalyptic future with red skies and pyramids) but this one works just as well as its own thing. Godot's role makes sense and it's interesting seeing the changes that other characters have had in this universe knowing what we know.

Overall: Even though it's just a few hundred frames of content so far, Turnabout Vengeance shows a lot of promise especially for a first time casemaker. Keep it up!
Right now, Awsome and I are working on the awards ceremony. Hopefully it should be released by this weekend but we'll see what happens. Finals studying on my part and all that.
BrushApocalypse

Post by BrushApocalypse »

MasqueradeDemure wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:11 am

Thanks for the feedback! Sorry about the presentation issues again, I was scrambling a bit to get the to the end of the recess during the last few days- so I didn't get to polish up as much as I'd like. To be honest those last few days of working on the case got a bit close to burning me out too, so it's probably gonna be a good while before I get back to it, at least. We both might've bit off just a tiny bit more than we could chew :gumshoe:. I'll try my best to publish it one day though if you guys want to see more!
Also, what do you guys have against comfy bear onesies? /j
Good luck to the rest of the contestants! I'm excited to be part of a ceremony for once instead of just lurking ^.^
Seconding everything from MasqueradeDemure! I absolutely agree we kinda slacked on the playtesting front, as life kinda got in the way of working on it consistently (at least in my case). I'm certainly interested in finishing it, though— if only to properly polish up the OC's sprites!

And yeah, what gives? Don't tell me you wouldn't wear pajamas to court if you could get away with it.
clcman

Post by clcman »

In the meantime, I have found an example of the greatest potential AA butterfly effect divergence possible.

What if Phoenix Wright... had common sense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYx6shvQ3kc
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Bannedfrom7

Post by Bannedfrom7 »

DJJ6800 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:58 pm And now for the last review of the bunch, Turnabout Vengeance by Bannedfrom7. Yet another first time casemaker. And a late entry too.
Godot: The man with a plan.

Synopsis: What if the miracle never happen?

Story: Godot is back in action as a defense attorney after waking up from his five year coma. With Phoenix out of the picture, he has no reason to become a prosecutor so his move back to attorney was justified. This time, he's defending Desiree DeLite (who I believe is an underrated character) as she's accused of killing Luke Atmey. Simple story, and the case only has a little bit complete but it still shows potential for what little is complete. I'm especially wondering what the role that a certain actor turned detective has in this coming story. They talk about a plan but they don't go into more detail, only adding to the potential this case has, should it be fully completed. Oh, and I love that newspaper.

Presentation: Custom sprites for the judge and prosecutor that work well. And the rest of the sprites work fine, too.

Gameplay: Standard AA gameplay. And there's only a little complete so there's not much to say other than that.

Theme Relevance: The JFA bad ending is probably one of the most popular places for spawning AUs in the AA universe. None of the ones that I've seen were quite as insane as the DWaM case focused on that topic (though that one had an apocalyptic future with red skies and pyramids) but this one works just as well as its own thing. Godot's role makes sense and it's interesting seeing the changes that other characters have had in this universe knowing what we know.

Overall: Even though it's just a few hundred frames of content so far, Turnabout Vengeance shows a lot of promise especially for a first time casemaker. Keep it up!
Right now, Awsome and I are working on the awards ceremony. Hopefully it should be released by this weekend but we'll see what happens. Finals studying on my part and all that.
Awsome2464 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:46 pm "Ace of Turnabouts" by drvonkitty & ZekromFan57

"Turnabout Vengeance" by Bannedfrom7

What if Phoenix had gotten Matt Engarde an acquittal?

Synopsis: Godot, as a defense attorney, must defend Desiree Delite for the murder of Luke Atmey.

Story: While the case isn't complete, there's certainly a lot going for it, especially for it being an entry started so late into the competition. This case is set some time after The Stolen Turnabout, with Luke Atmey being acquitted for being Mask DeMasque, only to be murdered in an alley with Desiree Delite passed out nearby. The characters feel well-written and true to form, and there's an air of mystery surrounding a "plan" Godot has in store for the case. What is this "plan"? I guess we'll have to wait until the case is completed. One minor complaint I have in this department: there's a running joke(?) about the custom Judge's nationality that definitely feels like it overstays its welcome. A good example of "funny the first time, but gets old the more it's repeated". It doesn't happen too often, but I was rolling my eyes a bit by the end.

Presentation: Even though this is the author's first case, it definitely feels pretty polished for the most part. It does lack any character popups when showing the whole courtroom, but given the amount of custom images that would be needed for that to work with the short amount of time had, I suppose it makes sense. Also, the detective(s) don't have any entries in the Court Record, which is a bit puzzling (especially since even the Judge has one).

Gameplay: Standard Ace Attorney stuff. The logic flowed well and didn't leave me scratching my head.

Theme Relevance: If Phoenix was out of the picture by the time Diego Armando awoke from his coma, it wouldn't make sense for Godot to become a prosecutor, so that's already a great start by keeping him as a defense attorney. Also in this case is a canon character taking on a different role than usual, which is explained in a way that makes sense given the circumstances. I suppose I'll have to wait to see the full story to see how exactly Desiree fits into this and how the Butterfly Effect affected her, but overall, this alternate universe of "Godot: Ace Attorney" makes sense as a result of Phoenix's decision.

Final Thoughts: Again, I'm impressed with how much was in here despite Bannedfrom7 entering late. (Then again, I got a decent amount of stuff in my entry for "Shelter in Place" despite me starting late, so I guess there's that) I'm definitely intrigued as to where the story is going and what's to come next.
Thank you both so much for the review! I'm glad you both enjoyed the entry! The planning process was arduous and I had to go back to the drawing board several times before I got something solid and enjoyable to work with. I'll make sure to consider your feedbacks when I get back to working on this case in the future. I'll definitely fix that profile bug, thanks for pointing that out, Awsome!
I am Banned
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

We're still working on the Awards Ceremony but I think we're making good progress. Here's a hypeshot to...well, hype things up.
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

DJJ6800 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:17 pm We're still working on the Awards Ceremony but I think we're making good progress. Here's a hypeshot to...well, hype things up.
I hope this awards ceremony is as deeply chaotic and extremely long as the last one! /j
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

risefromtheashes wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:41 am
DJJ6800 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:17 pm We're still working on the Awards Ceremony but I think we're making good progress. Here's a hypeshot to...well, hype things up.
I hope this awards ceremony is as deeply chaotic and extremely long as the last one! /j
Long? Heck no. Chaotic? Well, that's up to interpretation...
Image Image