[E] Allow Expressions/Variables for determining typing speed

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

[E] Allow Expressions/Variables for determining typing speed

Post by TimeAxis »

Underneath the Typing Speed text box for each frame, it would be nice if there were a checkbox labeled "Advanced mode" (much like when using actions), which, when checked, would allow us to use expressions to determine the typing speed. Maybe it could also affect the "wait for" box as well. (Although for that one, I can't really think of a use, but someone might, and if it were being done to one of the textboxes, I don't see why it couldn't be done to both)

As far as why you'd want to do this, it would allow us to let players choose a textbox speed that's comfortable for them, or potentially dynamically change the speed depending on what's going on in the trial. Most of the speeds in cases are too slow for me (and just using instant text is a little too "all or nothing", and it messes with timings and sounds and stuff), but the speed I might choose might be too fast for some people. If this were possible, I could give players an option for text speed at the beginning of the trial and then use an expression to multiply the text speed of each frame by the appropriate amount.

I don't know if there's some kind of significant barrier preventing this, but I thought I'd suggest it either way.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [E] Allow Expressions/Variables for determining typing speed

Post by Enthalpy »

I'd prefer implementing just a text speed multiplier that the user can control directly. I'm okay with the idea in principle, but the UI (and finding the time... it's crazy for me right now) is the hard part.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

Re: [E] Allow Expressions/Variables for determining typing speed

Post by TimeAxis »

I'd also be fine with that, especially if it were on the player-side and would work for existing trials. I just figured my suggestion would be easier since it would likely be a matter of taking what already exists for the Actions stuff and just applying it to another UI element.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)