Broken Commandments

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

Re: Broken Commandments

Post by TimeAxis »

Turnabout: Impossible by DannyPlaysSomeGames
Spoiler : Screenshot :
Spoiler : Synopsis :
Trucy finds herself defending someone accused of stealing a jewel.
Spoiler : Review :
Story:
I'll start by getting the obvious out of the way. This case is very unfinished. It only contains about 10-15 minutes worth of content, and most of that is the intro. So what gets judged here might not be anything close to reflective how the final case may turn out. But I'll do my best to judge what was there anyway. In terms of the writing, while I felt that there were a few moments that dragged on a bit too much, I generally enjoyed the premise of the story. The actual dialogue felt a bit stiff at times, but the content of that dialogue, the actual narrative behind it, was interesting and left me curious to find out what happens.

Characters
This case seems to take place in the familiar Ace Attorney universe, with a few original characters here and there, but mostly focusing on the returning cast. The original characters all felt right at home in Ace Attorney, and I liked them, although they didn't get much time to shine. As far as returning characters go, the interesting thing about this case is having Trucy as the protagonist. I wasn't expecting that, and it's an idea with a lot of potential. I won't say it wasn't handled well, as I think the way it was executed felt fitting (in a silly way) for Ace Attorney, but Trucy herself didn't really feel like herself to me. Maybe the case just needed more time for her personality to shine through, but there was essentially none of that so far. If we hadn't been explicitly told that the protagonist was Trucy, then you could have told me it were anybody else and I'd have probably believed you.

Presentation:
The best part of this case was its presentation. The intro was very cool, and the whole thing felt very Ace Attorney. There was a lot of really nice graphics and music, with good cinematic timing, and it did a good job of getting the blood pumping and making you excited for what was happening. The only thing I wasn't the biggest fan of, and I'm only bringing it up because, comparatively, everything else looked a lot better, was Trucy's courtroom sprites, which I felt looked a little bit off. That's a pretty important thing to get right, since she's the protagonist. But they weren't bad or anything, it just didn't measure up to how nice everything else looked, in my opinion. Still, I'd say the presentation was nice all around, and I'm only nitpicking because there's so little substance here to evaluate.

Gameplay:
To be blunt, there was no gameplay in this case. There's nothing to review here. I look forward to seeing what kind of gameplay the full case has if it eventually gets finished though.

Theme Relevance:
Much like the gameplay, there is next to no theme relevance in this case at this point. There's the very faint whiff of a mystery, but we don't really get much to work with in terms of being able to guess what Knox Rules might be in play here. I'm glad DannyPlaysSomeGames entered and submitted what they had, and it was cool to see this rather than nothing, but in terms of evaluating it as a judge, there's just not enough to work with here, so there's no way I can give it much in the way of positive evaluation. Still, it did leave me curious to see what the mystery could have been like, had the case been a bit more complete.
Spoiler : Overall :
PROS
  • Very cool intro with nice presentation
  • Interesting premise and character set-up
CONS
  • Dialogue felt a bit stiff at times, especially Trucy's
  • Incompleteness leaves it with no gameplay or theme relevance
Normally, I would offer to give the notes I took while I played this, but everything I had to say about it is all included in the review, so I'll just say that I noted down 1 or 2 typos, and you can see those here, if you'd like (these were very minor and I hardly factored them into the review):
Spoiler : Typos :
"Sure, a 16 hour flight is pretty long, but I've have them before, no need to make such a fuss about it." Should be -> "I've had them before"
Trucy's name was spelled "Trrucy" at one point while talking to Ryder.
And that concludes the reviewing process. Now me and Awsome2464 just need to sit down and talk through all the awards and come to a concensus on who the winners should be, then we'll announce that in the award ceremony at some point within the coming weeks. Hopefully sooner rather than later, all things considered. I want to give a huge thanks to everyone for bearing with us, as well as a huge thanks to all the entrants for their entries. People warned me in advance that it would be tough getting through them all, and it was, but I tried to make sure that I went about it in a way that I would still be able to enjoy them all without burning out, and as a result, I greatly enjoyed all of them. I hope I was able to give each of them the care and attention they were due, despite dealing with some inconveniences and other unrelated issues on my end, and I hope everyone who didn't finish their entries will eventually release them. There were a lot of really cool ideas and mysteries that left me dying to know how they'd turn out. If not though, that's cool too. I'm just glad to have had a chance to play them either way.

Also, regarding this,
TimeAxis wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:42 amif any entrant wants to come up with a short teaser (try to keep it under 2 minutes) for their case for us to include in the ceremony, feel free to brainstorm that up and send it to us (along with any necessary graphics/sounds/etc that should accompany it) and we'll make it happen.
We've had a couple people reach out to us for that, but this is the last call for that, for those interested. See you guys in the awards ceremony.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

Progress on the awards ceremony is going smoothly thus far! We've figured out a majority, if not all, of the awards we wish to give and are currently writing the ceremony proper. No ETA on when it'll be finished, but it'll hopefully be here before you know it. Until then, here's a nice little hypeshot:
Spoiler : :
Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Just to make sure the hosts see it, I updated the rules to give hosts a bit more freedom. Although the results haven't been released yet, you can authorize users to edit their entries again as you will.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Only speaking for myself, but as we've pretty much finished judging the quality of each entry, I have no problem with entrants working on their entries more at this point, as long as those edits are limited to adding content or minor adjustments to existing stuff, rather than removing stuff that we might want to double check (basically, if you're thinking of removing or replacing entire characters or sections, I'd probably hold off on that for the time being, that's all), and as long as we still retain access to them until the results are out. I'd wait for Awsome to weigh in just to be sure though.

Also, progress on the Awards Ceremony, it's about 33% done. We're both plugging away at it steadily in different timezones, so it's coming along well.
Last edited by TimeAxis on Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

TimeAxis wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:56 am Only speaking for myself, but as we've pretty much finished judging the quality of each entry, I have no problem with entrants working on their entries more at this point, as long as those edits are limited to adding content or minor adjustments to existing stuff, rather than removing stuff that we might want to double check, and as long as we still retain access to them until the results are out. I'd wait for Awsome to weigh in just to be sure though.
I agree. Minor changes are fine, but hold off on anything big and game-changing until the ceremony is out.
Image Image
DannyPlaysSomeGames
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by DannyPlaysSomeGames »

Thanks for the response to my teaser case, guys. Usually, I would usually something like "College took up too much of my time," but I'm gonna be honest here: I lost my motivation very fast during the development process. I'm not sure to the reason as to why this happened, but quite honestly I planned out a lot in my head for what I wanted to do and write for this entry, yet when it came to actually making the case within a timeframe, I got to a point where I just straight up forgot about it multiple times. I genuinely wanted to complete this case, at the very least as far as the first day of the trial, but I just straight up didn't feel it. Because of that, this will probably be the last time in a long while I submit anything to a comp, mostly because the same pretty much has happened to all my other submissions as well. I don't want to let the submissions I already made die, though; I genuinely want to finish them all and see them come to proper fruition (Turnabout With No Name is just way too fun a premise to pass up on, and the other three cases, including the one from the AA Discord Comp, will be integrated into some shape or form into my fangame). I wish good luck for all the other contestants participating and I hope for them the best. Sorry if this post is a bit too long, I just wanted to be upfront about my pathetically short submissions.

I'm not sure how to do a teaser skit for something with 5-10 minutes of gameplay (I'm not sure if you guys are still taking that anymore), but perhaps I could think of something with Lawe and Ordell (though I dunno if that would be cheating since the suggestion was with one character).
Hey there
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Currently the ceremony is about 75%-80% done. Probably not accepting any more teasers at this point.

On an unrelated note, progress had stalled for the past few days as I had reached out to a few people looking for a certain set of sound effects (for a little secret something) and was waiting for them to get back to me, but since none of those avenues panned out, we’re likely just going to move ahead and make the best of what we’ve got.

I hope this will be an award ceremony fitting for this competition. I won’t give a super firm ETA but at the rate we’ve gone so far, well, you can do the math. Shouldn’t be much longer.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

We're currently on track to getting the ceremony finished and released this weekend, most likely on Sunday. We appreciate your patience and hope you enjoy what we've come up with!
Image Image
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

Nice! Two more days!
Bannedfrom7

Post by Bannedfrom7 »

Let’s goo!!!!!
I am Banned
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

The "Broken Commandments" Award Ceremony!

Please note that this ceremony will last about an hour and has a few instances where player interaction is required (though it is very brief and will not result in any game overs)
The ceremony also features image formats that might not be fully compatible with older browsers, but that realistically shouldn't be an issue.

View the ceremony here!
Or view the list below for the TL;DR
But I do encourage you to watch the ceremony

Awards
Spoiler : The Dividing Line by Gizmological :
Image Understands Deadlines: For finishing your entry before time runs out

Image Best Scientific Application: Labyrinthians would burn you in the pit if they saw this miracle medicine.

Image Watson Award: For the case with the best sidekick.

Image Gameplay n' Gimmicks: For going above and beyond standard Ace Attorney gameplay.

Image Best Clue: Read the title, detective.

Image Golden Paintbrush: For the best application of custom artwork.

Image Best Crime Scene: For making an otherwise uncomfortable location relatively pleasant to be in.
Spoiler : The Costumed Turnabout by risefromtheashes :
Image Funniest Case: These are the jokes, people.

Image Great Potential: For having a setup that is bound to lead to something magnificent.

Image Short and Sweet: For creating a great entry despite its short length.
Spoiler : A Turnabout With Too Many Faces by DWaM :

Image Boss Battle: For the case with the best final confrontation with its villain.

Image Mastermind Award: For the criminal with the most clever plan.

Image Best Writing: Even the man himself would be blown away.

Image WTF?: No. Really. W T actual F?? (Most mind-blowing plot twist)
Spoiler : The Secret Turnabout by Trybien and Spongesonic :
Image Gameplay n' Gimmicks: For going above and beyond standard Ace Attorney gameplay.

Image Secret Passage Award: Knox would be proud (so long as there's only one).
Spoiler : Turnabout of the Future by DJJ6800 :
Image Hero Award: For having the best protagonist.

Image Most Cliché Character: For having a character that's stellar yet stereotypical.

Image Most Original Setting: For creating a new world that sticks out above the rest.
Spoiler : Turnabout in the Lighthouse of Lunacy by Blackrune :
Image Most Polished: You definitely got a high "Presentation" rating.

Image Best Writing: Even the man himself would be blown away.

Spoiler : The Savory Turnabout by Bannedfrom7 and Super legenda :
Image Best Detective: For having the best crime-solver.

Image No Freakin' Thanks: Minty fresh off the block chain, for broaching a hair-pulling subject in an entertaining way.

Image Great Potential: For having a setup that is bound to lead to something magnificent.

Image Best Crime Scene: For making an otherwise uncomfortable location relatively pleasant to be in.
Spoiler : -REDACTED- by enigma and DLA :

Image [REDACTED]: [REDACTED]

Image AAO Wizard: For pulling off amazing feats using the tools available.

Spoiler : Turnabout: Impossible by DannyPlaysSomeGames :
Image Golden Cactus: Only one man knows what it's for.

Image Short and Sweet: For creating a great entry despite its short length.

Spoiler : Overall Rankings :
Image Almost Actual Winner: Tied between enigma & DLA and "A Turnabout With Too Many Faces" by DWaM

Image Actual Winner: "The Secret Turnabout" by Trybien & Spongesonic

On behalf of myself and TimeAxis, thank you to everyone who participated in this competition, whether you submitted an entry or not, and we're looking forward to what becomes of the next one!
Image Image
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Spoiler : :
It's hard to believe this is happening right now. Today has not been a good day for me, and this news cheered me up right when I needed it the most.

Thank you so much for this honor.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Huge Thanks to everyone who participated. This was my first time as a judge and while it was a little stressful (mainly since I was dealing with some minor health issues), all the entries never failed to make me smile and I had a blast with them.

I hope those that submitted unfinished entries are able to finish and release them at some point. But either way, it was nice getting a chance to play them.

Congrats to the winning entry and those that got other awards. Like Awsome said, I look forward to seeing what the next comp brings.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Well done on the awards ceremony! That was a lot of fun!

It definitely got my hyped to try out these cases when they release!

And congrats on the winning entry!
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
XavierWright

Post by XavierWright »

Even though I never submitted my own entry for this comp (rip me) I still kept track of it all the way, and the awards ceremony was simply spectacular.
Congrats to the winning entry.