starkidsymbol's art!

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

starkidsymbol
Spoken languages: English

starkidsymbol's art!

Post by starkidsymbol »

so, i don't actually have that many sprites yet, buuuut i decided i'd show off, like, the only sprite i have atm. i'll be updating this as i do more work! i'm refining my art style and i'm working with a free art program (sketchbook), so if anyone has any tips on how to make them more "ace attorney" style, please let me know!! ( most of them are overlaid over canon aa sprites. who's anatomy i don't know her )

custom characters / sprites :

xander crossby:
Spoiler : :
overlaid over kristoph gavin's sprites ( eventually there will be more! can you tell i was excited to post this )
default / standing ( animated wip ):
(=3) debeste.png (=3)
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Re: starkidsymbol's art!

Post by SuperAj3 »

Ooh nice work!
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

Re: starkidsymbol's art!

Post by TimeAxis »

Pretty nice drawing. As a tip if you want it to work as a sprite in AAO, it'll need to fit within a 256 x 192 canvas. Reducing the size by about half should do the trick. Normally, Capcom draws their sprites as normal art like this and then converts them into pixel art to fit into a DS game, but it's difficult to do that cleanly in a way that matches the original style, so most people who make sprites tend to start with the smaller pixelated versions and make pixel art specifically designed to match. (There are lots of pixel art/spriting tutorials online if you want to try that approach).

As far as style goes, my suggestion would be to add shading to the hair, but it might be tricky. You've chosen a pretty difficult hairstyle to shade, but you could try looking at how some of the existing Ace Attorney characters with long hair are shaded, for reference. (Godot, Drew Misham, or Max Galactica's sprites might be good examples to reference) Trying to think of how the hair works in 3D would be the key to making it look right.

There are a few other areas that could probably do with shading improvements as well, like the collar (I'd take a look at the way Zak Gramarye's cape collar looks for a good reference on what to do with that) But these are nitpicks. If you're just starting out, you did a good job, and these will likely naturally improve as you make more of them. Sorry for the paragraphs, but I think you've got some good potential here.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)