[P] 2x scaling

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Sheika
Spoken languages: Español / English / Peux lire français

[P] 2x scaling

Post by Sheika »

256x192 was a reasonable screen size back around 2015, when V6 launched, not to mention before. But today, in a standard-size monitor, a 256x192 screen is not very easy on the eyes. I usually get around it by zooming, but zooming also implies anti-aliasing, which can make the images and font look... less than ideal.

Though it's a complicated thing to implement for something that's not really a big deal, I would really love a big screen option that scaled up the event screen to 2x using the Nearest Neighbour method (which basically turns every pixel into four) and left the rest of the elements intact. It'd go on to look something like this:

That way the image is the absolute sharpest it can be. Maybe implement it for V7?
applekitty
Spoken languages: English

Re: [P] 2x scaling

Post by applekitty »

Is this even possible, considering AAO's a web-based application?

I don't know anything about this, but considering things like Pywright or other engines are, well, engines, and not internet applications... Is this feasible?
ImageImageImage
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Recall that HD versions of all the mainline AA games are now available, so it should be possible to rip the graphics from them with better resolutions.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

GanonZD wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:48 pm Recall that HD versions of all the mainline AA games are now available, so it should be possible to rip the graphics from them with better resolutions.
Replacing sprites with HD versions on the fly is not really feasible, especially when so many trials use custom sprites.

However, there is CSS for nearest neighbour scaling, at least on firefox. You can add it yourself in the player by opening up inspect element, going into the Style Editor tab and copying and pasting this:

Code: Select all

img {
    image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges;
    image-rendering: -webkit-optimize-contrast;
    image-rendering: crisp-edges;
    -ms-interpolation-mode: nearest-neighbor;
}
It’s possible it could have weird side effects, but it’s something people can play around with, anyhow.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

TimeAxis wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:31 pm
GanonZD wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:48 pm Recall that HD versions of all the mainline AA games are now available, so it should be possible to rip the graphics from them with better resolutions.
Replacing sprites with HD versions on the fly is not really feasible, especially when so many trials use custom sprites.
Well, couldn’t the custom sprites just be artificially enlarged? Otherwise, there could be a global option called "HD mode" where all graphics are HD, and where custom graphics can only be added if they are in HD.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

For anyone who doesn't know, this is what those 'HD sprites' look like when ripped. They require a lot of time and effort to put together, which has to be done manually. For every single sprite. With some animations being twenty-something frames long, or more, and manually retimed using memory or YouTube videos.
Well, couldn’t the custom sprites just be artificially enlarged? Otherwise, there could be a global option called "HD mode" where all graphics are HD, and where custom graphics can only be added if they are in HD.
Custom sprites can be enlarged based on certain scaling modes. Like zooming in on your browser. The code TimeAxis presented is the best we get, visually. 'HD Mode' as you propose it would break basically every single game on the site if you tried to enable it. Like, what if I have a bunch of HD sprites of Phoenix and Edgeworth added in, but my court or judge is custom? Would they just not appear? It's a bit too restricting, and if I wanted to just use really big sprites with little to no custom functionality, I'd go play with objection.lol. The cons outweigh the pros.
ImageImageImage
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

applekitty wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:11 pm For anyone who doesn't know, this is what those 'HD sprites' look like when ripped. They require a lot of time and effort to put together, which has to be done manually. For every single sprite. With some animations being twenty-something frames long, or more, and manually retimed using memory or YouTube videos.
Then it’s a good thing that other people already did a lot of that work for you. I’m not saying that there is not still work to be done, but it’s a lot less than what you suggest.
applekitty wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:11 pm 'HD Mode' as you propose it would break basically every single game on the site if you tried to enable it. Like, what if I have a bunch of HD sprites of Phoenix and Edgeworth added in, but my court or judge is custom? Would they just not appear? It's a bit too restricting, and if I wanted to just use really big sprites with little to no custom functionality, I'd go play with objection.lol. The cons outweigh the pros.
Did you even try to understand what I was suggesting? I meant a global option for each individual trial, which would of course be turned off for all legacy trials. It would probably only be something that would be relevant to turn on for new trials. They would then only use HD sprites, and if you wanted custom sprites, those would have to be HD, too. Still, I think it’s better to just support scaling, as in the script you mention.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

At this stage, Time's suggestion of using the nearest neighbour script is your best bet. You can also press Ctrl + to just zoom in yourself.

Other editors like AACT and Objection.lol can be used for higher resolutions by default, so best to try those instead of AAO.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
Mosy

Post by Mosy »

Love the idea tbh. 256-192 is quite outdated for 2022 :P.
There must be a way... But I remember in the past the Community Moderator said there are NO plans for this feature in the future. :/
TimeAxis wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:31 pm

However, there is CSS for nearest neighbour scaling, at least on firefox. You can add it yourself in the player by opening up inspect element, going into the Style Editor tab and copying and pasting this:

Code: Select all

img {
    image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges;
    image-rendering: -webkit-optimize-contrast;
    image-rendering: crisp-edges;
    -ms-interpolation-mode: nearest-neighbor;
}
It’s possible it could have weird side effects, but it’s something people can play around with, anyhow.
This REALLY works! compare and contrast these pictures, honestly a cool find, good job! <3
Without Nearest Neighbor

With Nearest Neighbor

page is zoomed in by 200% as seen in the right top corner, pretty good results!
Last edited by Mosy on Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live life as you enjoy it, pal!- :objection:
I guess not...
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

Mosy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:18 pm Love the idea tbh. 256-192 is quite outdated for 2022 :P.
There must be a way... But I remember in the past the Community Moderator said there are NO plans for this feature in the future. :/

-clip-

This REALLY works! compare and contrast these pictures, honestly a cool find, good job! <3
Without Nearest Neighbor

With Nearest Neighbor

page is zoomed in by 200% as seen in the right top corner, pretty good results!
It's really awesome and helps a lot, and it makes AAO cases look fantastic. Only thing I've noted as a bug is that if you have a really long gif, it'll skip ahead a few frames and throw off the timing of it. but otherwise it's usable for every single case with little to no issue whatsoever!
ImageImageImage