The Miracle Happen :')

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

skyem
Spoken languages: English

Re: The Miracle Happen :')

Post by skyem »

I'm very scared
ImageImageImage
clcman

Post by clcman »

Spongesonic wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:24 am
That Turnabout Where The Murderer Killed The Victim Review
Entry by: clcman
Spoiler : Screenshot :
There were legit so many moments that would've made great screenshots, I had a hard time choosing. So this is what I decided on. Yeah, no witty comment here, it speaks for itself.
Spoiler : Synopsis :
A double murder occurs and the best defense attorney, prosecutor, and judge in the city are put to the case. Unfortunately, they all can't make it for unrelated reasons, so we get these bozos instead.
Spoiler : Review :
Story: This story is not at all serious in the slightest. For God's sake, one of the main plot points is that the killer dumped the bodies of the victims in a place called the "Convenient River". The co-council is literally a cardboard cut-out that talks in the protagonist's head. This is a very silly case, and it have me very much in giggles from start to finish. Despite that, there is an actual mystery going on, and for what it is, it's actually not half bad, even if it's so far unfinished. I do have a bit of issue visualizing it in my head, though, which I feel a diagram of the crime scene would help to solve.

Characters: The characters all have extremely over-the-top and zany personalities to fit the absolute insanity of the trial. The main protagonist may seem like a typical straight man, but he can be rather dim-witted at times, and hallucinates what his cardboard co-council is saying to him. The judge in this case is somehow more and less focused than Udgey at the same time. And of course, the witnesses are all wacky in their own ways. There's quite a lot to love about this cast, if it's your style of humor. Which it is mine.

Presentation: The presentation is alright, but nothing ground-breaking. There's a mix of default and custom assets, though not a whole lot specifically made for the trial, and they fit the characters fine. There's a lack of courtroom overview sprites, but the music choices generally fit pretty well. Overall, it's fairly standard.

Gameplay: I actually was impressed by some of the puzzles here, considering this is a silly comedy trial that's only in its opening part. One puzzle in particular was actually extremely clever, all things considered. However, it's all still standard Ace Attorney gameplay.

Theme Relevance:
Spoiler : Interpretation(s) Used: :
1) An unsolvable problem being solved by a sudden and unexpected happenstance
2) Something impossible/highly improbable happening that can only be explained away with divine intervention
There's a running gag that pokes fun at Deus ex Machinas, and it got me good every time it happened. There's also an instance where a legitimate one may have happened, though it's still up for debate whether or not it's in the protagonist's head. And the entry ends on a cliffhanger right in the middle of a Deus ex Machina. It definitely has fun with the concept, that's for sure.
Spoiler : Final Thoughts :
If clc's style of humor is right up your alley - which it is for me - then this is a fun one to check out. Don't go in expecting anything too serious and you'll have a good time.
I am glad that my ridiculousness tickled you in an appropriate way. Your inability to wittily comment on the screenshot is perhaps the greatest compliment you can offer me. (Besides the comp win, of course.)
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Turnabout Divergence Review
Entry by: skyem
Attention!!! This review contains spoilers for Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney.
Spoiler : Screenshot :
Between this and bombs threats, this court needs to invest in better security...
Spoiler : Synopsis :
This case tells the story of the flashback trial from Turnabout Succession, and it's about how you'd expect - defend Zak, indict Valant, get accused of evidence forg- Oh. This is different...
Spoiler : Review :
Story: This case is a "What if?" scenario showing how the events that led up to Phoenix's disbarment could've gone differently. Even when it's just going through the parts you know, it's still not a complete 1:1 recreation of Phoenix's last trial. Certain characters show up that weren't in the original trial, there's a lot more references to the events of the original trilogy, and certain things happen that change the outcome of the trial. It's currently not finished, so it still doesn't wrap up everything, but it's not too hard to imagine where it's going to go next after this. I suppose my main complaint is that, even with some of the additions, the first half of this trial is still a bit too similar to 4-4's flashback trial, but that's just kinda one of the limitations this trial has to deal with because of its premise, and the second half is far more original to make up for it.

Characters: All characters in this case are ones from the canon series. While most are taken from Turnabout Succession, there's a couple other additions that become the catalyst for the premise of this case. Characterization for them is mostly on point. Phoenix seems a bit more exasperated than how he was in the original trial, but I just kinda interpret that as a meta way of trying to move past the parts you know to get to the new stuff. If there's one character I do have issues with the characterization of, however, it's Klavier. I found myself getting rather frustrated at him being blind to the truth that was right in front of him. I get that this was when he was younger, but I still feel like he's smarter than this.

Presentation: This aspect of the entry is fine. Most characters use their default sprites from the editor, though there's one character who, by their inclusion, had to use custom sprites. It's all good, but it's mostly just standard stuff.

Gameplay: If you've played Turnabout Succession, then the first half of the trial will contain no surprises at all, as the general logic is the same here as it was there. Even when you reach the second half of the trial, the truth behind what happened is a bit of a foregone conclusion, so the puzzles shouldn't pose too much of a challenge. Even so, the solutions still have plenty of variety, at the least.

Theme Relevance:
Spoiler : Interpretation(s) Used: :
1) An unsolvable problem being solved by a sudden and unexpected happenstance
There are a few instances of this happening - characters will show up dramatically at certain times, and their actions will alter the events of the story. Yet, they do it in a way that isn't too out of the ordinary for a standard Ace Attorney case, and they don't completely solve the problem, just allow the player an opening to move forward. There is one instance where Phoenix gets a piece of evidence he needs out of nowhere, but it's treated as a joke, and it honestly got a good chuckle out of me. Overall, a pretty good use of theme.
Spoiler : Final Thoughts :
This case is basically what it say on the tin - the flashback case of 4-4 if it went a different way. If you know the events of AJ, you'll know what to expect, but it's still interesting to see it play out nonetheless.
Last edited by Spongesonic on Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

Judging is over and now it's time for the case comp presentation... Have fun with that y'all.
ImageImageImage
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Wow, that was really fast. Props to the judges, and good luck to everyone else as we await the results.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Woo! Well done Sponge and Try for reviewing these cases so quickly!
Very excited for thr awards now haha
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
XavierWright

Post by XavierWright »

And now we wait for the results... Good luck everyone.
The Fury Wraith
Spoken languages: English, Dutch

Post by The Fury Wraith »

Wishing everyone good luck at the Award Ceremony! I'm looking quite forward to it myself.
Case made by me: Turnabout Retribution
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Can't wait for Trybien & Sonic at the AAO 2022 Olympic Games.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
clcman

Post by clcman »

For those not in the AACD Discord, we have had some... interesting predictions recently.
Spoiler : :
I'm not saying they're accurate, I'm just pointing out that computers are notoriously infallible predictors of things.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
TheDeadMan

Post by TheDeadMan »

We're already at this point of the comp? Time does fly, huh? Well, all the entries look interesting, to say the least. Good luck to all the contestants and we shall await for the Awards Ceremony.
eerew

Post by eerew »

hi
Parcark

Post by Parcark »

eerew wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:40 amhi
hello :D
Winner of Jumpiest Jumpscare, Halloween Paint Brush, Animation Sensation, Wizard's Apprentice, That Was So Funny, New Blood and Mobile Mandy awards in that super scary comp that was really, so scary
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
Love should be yuriful.
If you agree, please add this to your signature. :twisted:
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

So with everyone waiting for the awards ceremony, I thought that I'd put up a hypeshot for my entry now that the full title is known and stuff.

I was genuinely going to put up like a "loading complete" screen or something equally Nothing, but here, my gift to you. Something that actually means something.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Hypeshot
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april: