Super Scary

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

applekitty
Spoken languages: English

Super Scary

Post by applekitty »

Horror is a broad topic; different things make different people scared. We all know murder by itself is not enough to make an AAOer phased. However, a Blue Badger slinking up from the shadows to Edgeworth to bash him over the head could be.

Our challenge falls into two categories:

• Make a genuine horror experience; psychological, abstract, slasher, etc.
  • Make a case that has general spooky, Halloween-like themes.

In order for your case to qualify, you must make some use of horror as a genre, or general spookiness. Whether that be something akin to a monster-filled bloody tale or a lighthearted Halloween story is up to you.
When judging, we will consider your entry under these aspects:

Relevance
  • Whether you chose to make an abstract horror, analog-psychological horror, or a comedic case with horror themes, we will decide whether you accomplished what your specific niche is. No niche is better than the other.
    • Each judge’s sense of what is ‘scary’ is sincerely their own. What may be scary to you may not be scary to them, and vice versa.
Characters
  • Characters are make-or-break for cases. If your character is more solemn or reserved, this is acceptable for the horror genre, but may come off as bland. You’re encouraged to get silly to make an impression, but within the tone of your case.
  • Use of OCS are recommended, but not mandatory— just in Kitty’s opinion, OCs are more fun to use, but they wouldn’t mind if you added a canon character or two.
    • A scary situation can warp anyone’s sense of what is the immediate solution, and the interpretation of a canon character in a horror setting can be very intriguing, as well as personal.
Presentation
  • Your case should not have oversaturated graphics or things that are hard to look at, unless there is a specific reason. Attempt to have little to no typos, graphical glitches, and bugs that prevent the judges from completing your case.
  • Your use of atmosphere to establish what your case is will be factored into how effective your overall presentation is.
Story
  • Story is the most important thing in Ace Attorney, but in the broad theme of horror, sometimes the scariest things are the ones we don’t get a full answer on. Whether you create a story that leaves an open-ended chilling conclusion, or one that gives all the satisfying answers, is up to you. Whatever you decide should be effective.
  • We should feel like the words we’re reading are meaningful, not filler, and pushes the game along to its conclusion. Excessive words that mean the same thing are not encouraged, unless it’s to reinforce something scary through repetition. EEEK!!! Feel free to play around with it.
Gameplay
  • Your gameplay should be fun or scary. This may be hard in a visual novel engine, but get silly with your ideas of what may be possible to create a spooky atmosphere using AAO.
If you’re joining, these’re the rules;
  • Entries must be created between July 2nd and October 2nd. Early submission is acceptable. An extension of this date may be applicable through unforeseen circumstances.
  • Entries must be submitted to eerew and applekitty, with walkthroughs included.
  • Entries must not be public until after the judging is complete.
  • Entries must not be edited after submitted.
    • You may have to fix bugs at the request of the judges, but you cannot rewrite the game to fix its writing/logic/gameplay/whatever.
  • Incomplete entries are acceptable, so long as you give it a genuine try.
  • You may include spoilers for any game in the franchise, including Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and The Great Ace Attorney games.
    • If you’re doing a crossover and it has spoilers, please specify that to the judges.
  • Entries must have a full list of credits. If the entry is incomplete, slap them on the end or send them to the judges.
  • You may collaborate with another person. You cannot collaborate on more than one entry, nor playtest other people’s entries. Third party playtesters are encouraged.
  • Please continue to follow AAO’s rules when making your case.
    • Do not add any content in your case that makes it so grimdark that it turns into a whumpfest full of torture and explicit content. Unless ur funny about it :D
  • If your content has specific content in it that may be disturbing to viewers, please put a content warning before your game begins detailing what content is present. This tells us what you felt deserved warning potential future players about.
    • For example, warnings for themes of suicide, drug use, jumpscares, etc.
  • Do NOT use DID (what most people call multiple-personality disorder) as a source of horror. Same goes for other ‘scary’ mental illnesses. Unless you yourself have a ‘scary’ disorder, know how to write it respectfully, or know someone who has it and can help you write about it, don't touch it.
  • Dont let the P. Goblin get you…
Deadline is October 3rd at 12am EST. Grace period is 24 hours after the deadline has passed for “unforeseen circumstances.” ; )))

PLAY THE COMP CEREMONY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spoiler : Awards :
Spoiler : Young_EEKlander :
  • Image Scariest Little Monster That Runs Around And Lurks in the Dark
  • Image Errrmmm... Award
  • Image Great Potential Award
Spoiler : Sonnie CelAAAAAHHnna :
  • Image EEK! but I meant it Award
  • Image Spookiest Setting Award
  • Image Freddi Fish Award
  • Image Short & Sweet Award
  • Image Zombie Award
  • Image Understands Deadlines Award
Spoiler : DeathByAutoSCARY & clcMEN :
  • Image Little Details Award
  • Image Snat Award
  • Image Golden Cactus Award
Spoiler : parcark :| & pinkcocoapowDERANGED :
  • Image Jumpiest Jumpscare Award
  • Image Halloween Paint Brush Award
  • Image Animation Sensation Award
  • Image Wizard's Apprentice Award
  • Image That Was So Funny Award
  • Image New Blood Award
  • Image Mobile Mandy Award
Spoiler : skyEVILm :
  • Image Unique Aesthetic Award
  • Image Animation Sensation Award
  • Image Short & Sweet Award
Spoiler : BlairWITCHPrivPriv :
none :-)
Spoiler : TiMEANxis :
  • Image EEK! Award
  • Image Unique Aesthetic Award
  • Image AAO Wizard Award
  • Image Zombie Award
Spoiler : GuarDIEnDreamer :
  • Image Best Setting Award
  • Image Best Hook Award
  • Image Sad SquidAward
  • Image Pride Power! Award
Spoiler : Super legSLENDAMAN :
  • Image Suit Pocket Award
  • Image Ghostest with the Mostest Award
  • Image Most Badass Protagonist Award
Spoiler : DIElan DOGGY & TRYINGMYNERVES!!!!!bien :
  • Image Suit Pocket Award
  • Image Waiting on Australia Award
  • Image Best Animal Friend Award
  • Image Perfect Balance Award
  • Image New Blood Award
Spoiler : BOOnnedfrom7 & KILLpri :
  • Image Best Canon Characterization Award
  • Image Support the Troops award
Spoiler : applekitty & eerew :
  • Image AAO Speedrunning WR Award

Spoiler : First Place :
  • Image TimeAxis
Spoiler : Second Place :
  • Image GuardianDreamer
These’re the entrants;
  • Young_EEKlander "dad where are we going" "to KILL DEATH GORGE my son where we will have a nice day with NO murder scares!"
  • Sonnie CelAAAAAHHnna what if we went to a scary location together and a ghost popped out would you get scared
  • DeathByAutoSCARY & clcMEN made their submission while the judges were asleep >:(
  • DJJ6668008135 something something anime girls something higurashi meta joke etc etc
  • parcark :| & pinkcocoapowDERANGED actually michael afton is not the purple guy. for you see, the "purple guy" is william afton, and his sprite being purple is to represent how he is actually in shadow. he is not a rotting corpse until the souls of the children he murdered chase him into hiding in springbonnie where the springlocks activate and he gets twisted into a meat pretzel (springlock suits work by being part animatronic and part wearable suit - when you use a specific tool to twist something in the back the animatronic parts give way in the suit so you can wear it. however it is very risky because significant movement and humidity will cause the animatronic parts to snap back into place, which causes purple guy to be killed because there was a lot of rain outside when he put the suit on). so, therefore, william afton was never seen outside "springtrap" (the name of the springlock suit he hid in after he dies in it) as a rotting corpse, so he cannot have been literally purple. also william afton doesn't die because he was injecting himself with the dead kid juice I mentioned earlier idk it's like his motive for killing kids or something. the bite of 87 did not have anything to do with michael afton or william afton, it's commonly speculated that the bite victim was jeremy fitzgerald aka the guard you play as for the majority of fnaf 2. this is because jeremy fitzgerald was moved to the dayshift as a new position opened up; william afton was going under the pseudonym dave miller and screwing around with the animatronics for more dead kid juice and wound up making the animatronics aggressive towards adults. it is commonly speculated that mangle is the culprit of the bite of 87 and i cannot believe I have written this much god damn please help me please please plase I HATE FNAF LORE PLEASE
  • Mirage XELETON Dropped out over Discord instead of making their shame of dropping out public... Everyone laugh and Google sad ant bindle...
  • skyEVILm a case with 0 characters -skyem (paraphrased)
  • AwsoMENACE2464 "Has anyone seen Awesome" * brruuuppppp * no hehe
  • NASTYButz NO SUBMISSION RECIEVED...
  • BlairWITCHPrivPriv if my sanity drops to 0 then i lose this case.. AND MY MIND!!!
  • TiMEANxis when I saw the submission in my PMs there was a firework outside :)
  • GuarDIEnDreamer scooby doo taught us the real monsters are humans...
  • SuperAJOKER3 🎥🤡💁🏻‍♂️What 🤔❓do you 👉🏻🤷🏻‍♂️ get🤔🤡🎥🤡when 🤔you 👉🏻cross ✝️🙅🏻‍♂️🤡🎥🤡a mentally 🧠ill 🤢🤮😞😔😢australian 🚶🏻‍♂️🤡🕺🏻with a 🤡 S O C I E T Y 😡😡🏙🌇🌃🌆 that 🆎andons💔 👋🏻✌🏻him 😨🤡😰and treats🍭🍫🍰 him 🤡😭like trash😭🗑🤬😡⁉️‼️❓
  • Super legSLENDAMAN what doyou MEAN athena's not in this case EEEEEEHHH!?!?!?
  • DIElan DOGGY & TRYINGMYNERVES!!!!!bien NO LITTLE GERMAN BOY DONT USE KITTY'S FULBRIGHT SPRITES "UND MY GOT IT LOOKS LIKE SHIT!!!"
  • BOOnnedfrom7 & KILLpri "okay banned you made sure to submit our case right" "yes i submitted our case that we made for this case comp" "you didnt submit savory turnabout" "no i didn't... Hehehe..."

Hehehehehehehe (scary laugh) -eerew
I like to use a cheese grater to scrape the dead skin off my foot. But what’s most disturbing to my dinner guests is how I keep the foot alive in my fridge. -A Reddit User
Last edited by applekitty on Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 49 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Spongesonic

Re: Super Scary

Post by Spongesonic »

Love the idea! Try and I probably won't be entering cuz we're gonna focus on finishing up Secret, but we're looking forward to how this turns out.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
Young_Englander

Post by Young_Englander »

This is perfect for me. I was actually planning on making a horror experience next to hone my skills and this gives me a perfect opportunity to do just that. Consider me in.
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

An actual spooky Halloween spectacular, seems enticing. As Sponge said, we are sitting out; however, I will be offering my services as a playtester for this competition, so any entrants are free to pm me on here or reach out to me of discord if they are interested in my feedback.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Sonnie Celanna

Post by Sonnie Celanna »

Alright, an idea is now stuck in my head and demands attention. Count me in as an entrant as well please!
S. Cel :april: :pearlhappy:
DeathByAutoscroll

Post by DeathByAutoscroll »

Count me in as well, Solo or Collab is TBD atm but will update accordingly
Thrower of bricks.

Co-host of the Into the Takumi-verse case compeition.

Stuff I've made in 2 weeks:
The Impossible Turnabout
Erinaceinae Griminance

Cases I have collabed on:
Don't Resort to a Turnabout (W.I.P)
Trucy's Magical Catastrophe
That time I got reincarnated as a fictional Defence Lawyer in An Ace Attorney fangame and had to defend myself against incredibly unfair odds.

Stuff I've made by myself that is good:
...maybe in the future.
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

I'm trying to find a collab partner but either way, I'm in.
Parcark

Post by Parcark »

I WANT IN!!! NOW!!! please :D
Winner of Jumpiest Jumpscare, Halloween Paint Brush, Animation Sensation, Wizard's Apprentice, That Was So Funny, New Blood and Mobile Mandy awards in that super scary comp that was really, so scary
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
Love should be yuriful.
If you agree, please add this to your signature. :twisted:
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

Parcark wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:17 am I WANT IN!!! NOW!!! please :D
Boo.
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
Mirage Xel
Spoken languages: English, Hebrew

Post by Mirage Xel »

Third time lucky.
risefromtheashes

I have a really cool idea so I might enter... But... Need to make sure everything lines up first...
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

Intriguing! I may join if I can think of a good idea that I can finish most/all of, but the ideas are definitely rolling in my mind
Image Image
Parcark

Post by Parcark »

risefromtheashes wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:22 am
Boo.
BAAAH!! this was so scary that I'm crying now... I'm so angry that if this were to happen again I would drop out of my FIRST EVER case comp! Would you really want to do that to a FIRST TIME ENTRANT?
risefromtheashes

Parcark wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:55 am
Boo.
BAAAH!! this was so scary that I'm crying now... I'm so angry that if this were to happen again I would drop out of my FIRST EVER case comp! Would you really want to do that to a FIRST TIME ENTRANT?
LESS COMPETITION, INNIT?! *evil grin* COWARDESS!
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------
Parcark

Post by Parcark »

risefromtheashes wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:59 am
Parcark wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:55 am

Boo.
LESS COMPETITION, INNIT?! *evil grin* COWARDESS!
I'll give you something to be "innit" about... :twisted:
Spoiler : Scary :
YOU HAVE 3 DAYS TO ATONE