Lind Land!

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Re: Lind Land! [COMMISSIONS CLOSED]

Post by Lind »

Gamer2002 wrote:Ok.
Then I'm asking - can I have permission to use him?
Sorry, but no.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Ok.
Enjoy yourself and your sprites.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

I have some bad news. I got hit with a ransomware virus, which has destroyed almost all of my files.

Luckily, the PDN and GIF files were not hit. However, anything I had in PNG form (such as the entirety of the sprites for that RPG I was working on) have been destroyed. Despite that most of my ZIP files were not hit, for some reason my sprites backup folder was. My external hard drive backup was also hit. And for SOME REASON, the file is not on Dropbox, which it SHOULD be.

Novaraven747
Spoken languages: English and Google Translate XD

Post by Novaraven747 »

Lind wrote:I have some bad news. I got hit with a ransomware virus, which has destroyed almost all of my files.

Luckily, the PDN and GIF files were not hit. However, anything I had in PNG form (such as the entirety of the sprites for that RPG I was working on) have been destroyed. Despite that most of my ZIP files were not hit, for some reason my sprites backup folder was. My external hard drive backup was also hit. And for SOME REASON, the file is not on Dropbox, which it SHOULD be.

Well... what the hell? I'm sorry to hear that Lind. I hope your able to recover most of your stuff. There are some really crappy people on the internet.
"Looking into the spirit of others is sometimes like looking into a pond. Though we aim to see what's deep in the bottom, we are often distracted by our own reflection." - Novaraven747
"Strive to be humble in victory and gracious in defeat." - Boots Williams
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Gamer2002 wrote:Ok.
Enjoy yourself and your sprites.
By the way, I hope there's no hard feelings about this. It's just, I want my OCs to always be their own characters, and recognized as their own characters (like when Blackrune used Kurtis Gavin in Pairs), so I'd rather not loan them out. I wouldn't necessarily mind letting other people use the characters as long as they stayed in character, but Raven's had maybe five lines of dialogue so far, so there's not much to go on at this point.

On the upside, I was really impressed with that sprite you made for the role Raven was clearly intended to fill. Honestly, I think it's a better sprite than mine.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

No problem man, it was just a one day setback for me and drawing Slayan myself was actually enjoyable. Made me wonder why didn't I already put some effort into redoing Angela, but then I realized that I'm using other people's sprites whenever I can because I am lazy lol.
Though I will be honest here - while I understand that you may feel emotionally attached to your characters, on the other hand Raven was created in a franken-spriting process. I can don't use him out of courtesy, but his sprite isn't something you can in 100% claim as your own.
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

Awww man I hope this doesn't become an argument.

Gamer, that comment had some kind of pointless hostility in it that won't do anything but make Lind a bit angry. There's really no use in trying to persuade someone when you've already previously conceded, especially by attacking their rights.

We all want to be happy here, right?
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Gamer2002 wrote:Though I will be honest here - while I understand that you may feel emotionally attached to your characters, on the other hand Raven was created in a franken-spriting process. I can don't use him out of courtesy, but his sprite isn't something you can in 100% claim as your own.
I'm not angry, since I can see your point. However, I think that's pretty much wrong.

As an analogy - the musical genre Plunderphonics (artists like J Dilla, The Beastie Boys, and DJ Shadow) are famous for taking other people's songs and transforming them into entirely new arrangements and mashups, repurposing pre-existing art and turning it into an entirely new piece altogether.

Similarly, in animation, character design is done by a seperate artist to the one who actually animates the characters. Would you then say that the finished product is not the character designer's work?

Oh, and, you know. The entire concept of cover songs.

No, these sprites are not 100% original, but that's besides the point, and this is by far the most efficient method of making sure the sprites match the original style of Ace Attorney (case in point: nobody's scratch-sprites actually look like actual Ace Attorney sprites). The point is, the composition, animation, posing, design - all of that was me. The shape and shading of specific parts is the part I am not responsible for (and even then, I often fashion individual parts myself to match in additional poses).

Above all else, my claim to be the true creator of these sprites is affirmed by this: give anyone else the same concept and instructions to create these sprites, and I guarantee they would produce heavily different results (and at the risk of sounding cocky, for all but a few spriters, they would certainly not match the quality, old works notwithstanding). No, these are definitively my work.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Gamer, that comment had some kind of pointless hostility in it that won't do anything but make Lind a bit angry.
I'm just telling how I see things. I never was hiding my views on restricting the usage of posted fan-made resources for fangames.

@Lind
I see you point and you are correct with musical analogy and that franken-spriting ensures keeping the look of AA style (latest Angela's version was my struggle towards AA style, so yeah). I'm still not entirely sure how exactly copyright laws handle franken-spriting, and I was talking about copyright ownership here, but since I'm not a lawyer I won't argue further about this.

The thing is that your sprites are pretty great, there is a reason why I still use few restricted ones in my unreleased trials. When you see a ready sprite set you don't think about using somebody's else character, you are thinking about using them for your own characters (unless you want to use somebody's else character like we often do this with Phoenix and co). I had idea for the story of Angela Light (precisely, her first case) like ever since I'm on AAO, but it required from me to have sprites for three specific OCs. My first attempts at making them were pitiful, and I don't know if I could motivate myself to make even one of them if not for Singi's Andrew Webster. He was an absolute perfection for Evan, to the point of his sprites influencing my idea for Angela herself when I was drawing her.
Ironically, DT's sprites for the third OC forced me to change my intended personality for him into completely opposite one, though he still had everything what was essential for my story. And given how long it took me to make Angela on my own, I had to compromise.

And while I was still busy at making a single OC, I started working on case 2 (I had to early on come up with an idea for it, my plans for the first case made the further continuation... troubling). At some point I decided I need a brother for Charles de Mafia/Killan McTrigger, and in the entirety of AAO sprites nobody else could fit but Raven. I don't think I originally noticed that he was off limit, since I had my whoops moment when I recently realized that he is. Fortunately, when it was time for the case to be released, making own sprites stopped being much of issue for me.
Now take a look at my date of joining AAO and at today's date, which brings us to the point of the story of my life.

Today I can make sprites, and I make them when I need them for my specific ideas. You can make your own sprites, and you made them a lot. But those who can't make sprites? Yeah, they can make a request, but I made my own 2nd character set because nobody picked up my request. AND WHERE IS MY YOUNGER DARYAN CRESCEND YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE!?! And then there is the bummer when you can see an existing sprite set that would do the job, but you can't use it. And no, you don't necessary want to keep them in character, you have you own ideas and you just need the damned sprites.

I know how things look like when you have to do them the hard way, and I wanted to learn the hard way anyway. You yourself were, regardless of all the effort still necessary for the quality of results, and it still being the only working way to get AA-style right, using some shortcuts.
We are here just to have fun doing our stuff, there is nothing else to gain on AAO beyond improving our own skills. This is why I can't really agree with not allowing others to take an existing shortcut to their fun, and forcing them to reinvent the wheel.

That's how I see things, at least. I know I didn't handle this situation in the best possible way, but I'm not the best kind of person. Apologies for being an asshole myself. I wish you recreating your lost stuff easily.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Gamer2002 wrote:I'm still not entirely sure how exactly copyright laws handle franken-spriting, and I was talking about copyright ownership here, but since I'm not a lawyer I won't argue further about this.
Copyright ownership is irrelevant. These are fanworks.

Gamer2002 wrote:Today I can make sprites, and I make them when I need them for my specific ideas. You can make your own sprites, and you made them a lot. But those who can't make sprites? Yeah, they can make a request, but I made my own 2nd character set because nobody picked up my request. AND WHERE IS MY YOUNGER DARYAN CRESCEND YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE!?! And then there is the bummer when you can see an existing sprite set that would do the job, but you can't use it. And no, you don't necessary want to keep them in character, you have you own ideas and you just need the damned sprites.
I appreciate that, but the fact is that beggars can't be choosers, and nobody is under any obligation to help people with their projects just because they can't do it themselves.

Also, I am 99% positive I never said I would make a Younger Daryan sprite.
Gamer2002 wrote:You yourself were, regardless of all the effort still necessary for the quality of results, and it still being the only working way to get AA-style right, using some shortcuts.
Work smarter, not harder.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

So I've finally got my computer all sorted out and salvaged everything possible from my sprites folder.

And I figured, I'd like to see more sprites around here, but I know not everyone really knows how to.

So I've decided to make the source PDN files for all my completed and public sprites that survived...

Completely open source!
lazyplague
Spoken languages: English

Post by lazyplague »

Gotta admit, this is pretty sexy.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Made an AJ style Herman Crab, because I can.

Also made some additions to older sprite sets.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Lind wrote:Made an AJ style Herman Crab, because I can.

...moar pls

*nosebleed*
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Re: Lind Land!

Post by Lind »

Thought you guys might be interested to know I've ordered my first ever graphics tablet.

I've always drawn a lot, but exclusively using traditional media. I figured it's due time I try my hand at digital.

You'll probably be seeing scratch-sprites from me in future, in other words.

Also, I made this for CR's sprite competition. The theme is Ace Attorney character/animal hybrids.

It's Herman Crab as a hermit crab.