The Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread!

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Sissel
Spoken languages: English, Dead thoughts
Location: Could be hiding inside your phone, listening to your conversation with your mum

Re: The Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread!

Post by Sissel »

Sonic is just SEGA's version of Mario, with the fact that he can run fast to make it look like that their not copying Nintendo
Made by me, anyone can use it, if they wish
Huddini

Wishing that you'll get better soon, Parrie!
I SUPPORT PARRIE AS A SQUADMATE IN ME3
LunchPolice
Spoken languages: English, Namekian, Pezazulian

Post by LunchPolice »

Commander Shepard wrote:Sonic is just SEGA's version of Mario, with the fact that he can run fast to make it look like that their not copying Nintendo
... I have no idea how you figured that.
I make stuff sometimes
Image trophy x 5
MIND-FREAK
ShadowEdgeworth
Spoken languages: English

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

Commander Shepard wrote:Sonic is just SEGA's version of Mario, with the fact that he can run fast to make it look like that their not copying Nintendo
Get... Out... Troll! I will allow no one to insult Sonic is such an generalizing fashion! For one thing, Sonic is far superior, and is way bloody cooler than Mario can ever hope to be! Does Sonic eat mushrooms to double his size? No. Does Mario collect rings to keep himself alive? No! Can Mario transform into a golden, badass and invincible version of himself? NO, NO, AND NO!

Mario is overrated, every game starring him is "OMG BEST GAME EVAR", and while the 2003-2008 era of Sonic may have had its fallacies, at least SEGA tried new things! Yet Mario is always the God of gaming characters, despite the fact that Galaxy 1 isn't without its flaws, and characters like Samus Aran, Solid Snake, Apollo, Phoenix and Edgeworth all pwn his ass! :x I'd take Sonic Colors over the entire Mario franchise any day.

:x

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
Meph

Post by Meph »

Agreed!

...Physics
TrialmanAKASoma Cruz

Post by TrialmanAKASoma Cruz »

ShadowEdgeworth wrote:While the 2003-2008 era of Sonic may have had its fallacies, at least SEGA tried new things!
I agree.

Mario: Teams up with his brother in an RPG adventure. But the basic story is nothing new, Mario already has teamed up with Luigi, and he already had RPG's.
Sonic: Team-Based gameplay, control 3 characters at once. New idea at the time.

Mario: Stars in another RPG. The story is not that new either, and he already had an RPG the previous year.
Sonic: Stars in a fighter with a new story, and is simple for newcomers.

Mario: Another RPG!? It's story is not that new with the overused cliche of Aliens from space, not to mention time travel.
Sonic: A game focuses on the rival and has a dark and edgy attitude, with guns and cussing. Mario hasn't got a game with that attitude yet.

Mario: Goes back to his routes. Nothing original. NEXT!
Sonic: The infamous Sonic '06. It has a new idea, with the introduction of Silver. We're still waiting for an Italian plumber from far in the future with special powers.

Mario: Goes into space, space is nothing new, nothing else to say. NEXT!
Sonic: Ends up in the Arabian Nights. Still waiting for Mario to be trapped in a storybook.

Mario: Does ab-SO-lutely nothing.
Sonic: Turns into a beast and battles demons. Okay, name me a game where Mario becomes a were-wolf........ none? See my point?
I love all generations of My Little Pony and I'm proud of it! Paste this into your sig if you are too!
To please my Yuri side. (Picture by adcoon on DA)
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
ShadowEdgeworth

Trialman wrote:
ShadowEdgeworth wrote:While the 2003-2008 era of Sonic may have had its fallacies, at least SEGA tried new things!
I agree.

Mario: Teams up with his brother in an RPG adventure. But the basic story is nothing new, Mario already has teamed up with Luigi, and he already had RPG's.
Sonic: Team-Based gameplay, control 3 characters at once. New idea at the time.

Mario: Stars in another RPG. The story is not that new either, and he already had an RPG the previous year.
Sonic: Stars in a fighter with a new story, and is simple for newcomers.

Mario: Another RPG!? It's story is not that new with the overused cliche of Aliens from space, not to mention time travel.
Sonic: A game focuses on the rival and has a dark and edgy attitude, with guns and cussing. Mario hasn't got a game with that attitude yet.

Mario: Goes back to his routes. Nothing original. NEXT!
Sonic: The infamous Sonic '06. It has a new idea, with the introduction of Silver. We're still waiting for an Italian plumber from far in the future with special powers.

Sonic: Ends up in the Arabian Nights. Still waiting for Mario to be trapped in a storybook.

Mario: Does ab-SO-lutely nothing.
Sonic: Turns into a beast and battles demons. Okay, name me a game where Mario becomes a were-wolf........ none? See my point?
Indeed. :D Sonic has dabbled in almost all sorts of genres. Mario's game history is just repetitive.
Meph wrote:Agreed!

...Physics
Yeah... The game felt like it was still in it's beta-testing stages :P

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Sissel
Spoken languages: English, Dead thoughts
Location: Could be hiding inside your phone, listening to your conversation with your mum

Post by Sissel »

LunchPolice wrote:
Mario, you jump on weird things heads and get to the goal
Sonic, you jump on weird things heads and get to the goal
Made by me, anyone can use it, if they wish
Huddini

Wishing that you'll get better soon, Parrie!
I SUPPORT PARRIE AS A SQUADMATE IN ME3
ShadowEdgeworth

Commander Shepard wrote:
LunchPolice wrote:
Mario, you jump on weird things heads and get to the goal
Sonic, you jump on weird things heads and get to the goal
Worst. Logic. Ever. Did you even read the above posts?

Using your logic, Crash Bandicoot is a rip-off of Mario as well.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Sonic's gameplay is much more complicated, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it, and it is most certainly not a rip-off!
TKinhonipei
Spoken languages: asdfjkl;

Post by TKinhonipei »

Wow, I never thought of that! Sadly, as a Sonic fan, over the years of their games, I'd always think...
'What will they come up with next!?'

But it turns out they were reaching out to new things! They deserve more than they do. I think they deserve my money on their new Sonic 20th anniversary game. :P
Gumpei is so awesome for being everything that I've always wished for. <3
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

Holhol is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BBblader© wrote:The strongest bonds you can make are the ones you aren't looking for, the ones that surprise you. I'm speaking from experience, so I believe in that pretty strongly. Think that's why so many relationships fail, because people wind up forcing themselves to find good in the other person, play up who they are to appear more attractive to them... but well... real love is being yourself, with someone who cares about you and accepts you for who you are.
ShadowEdgeworth

I'm annoyed that it's not coming out on Wii. Ergo, I can't play it. Damn you SEGA. :(

TrialmanAKASoma Cruz

Post by TrialmanAKASoma Cruz »

ShadowEdgeworth wrote:I'm annoyed that it's not coming out on Wii. Ergo, I can't play it. Damn you SEGA. :(
Ditto.
I love all generations of My Little Pony and I'm proud of it! Paste this into your sig if you are too!
To please my Yuri side. (Picture by adcoon on DA)
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Trialman wrote:
ShadowEdgeworth wrote:I'm annoyed that it's not coming out on Wii. Ergo, I can't play it. Damn you SEGA. :(
Ditto.
Agreed.
TKinhonipei
Spoken languages: asdfjkl;

Post by TKinhonipei »

Shadowsleuth wrote:
Trialman wrote:
Ditto.
Agreed.
I-It's not? That stinks!
You'd think for Sonic's 20th Anniversary Sega would make this available to as many fans as possible :|
Gumpei is so awesome for being everything that I've always wished for. <3
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

Holhol is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BBblader© wrote:The strongest bonds you can make are the ones you aren't looking for, the ones that surprise you. I'm speaking from experience, so I believe in that pretty strongly. Think that's why so many relationships fail, because people wind up forcing themselves to find good in the other person, play up who they are to appear more attractive to them... but well... real love is being yourself, with someone who cares about you and accepts you for who you are.
LunchPolice
Spoken languages: English, Namekian, Pezazulian

Post by LunchPolice »

You guys do realise that Commander Shepard is almost certainly trolling us, right?

XD

That's why I didn't bother with an actual counter-argument, anyway.
What I will argue against is some of what you guys said. I like that they try new things with Sonic, but they need to pick better ideas. There's nothing wrong with being bold, but the ideas they pick are often pretty meh. Also, it makes more sense to make the base gameplay good before moving on to gimmicks, and once you get to gimmicks you have to execute them properly.
It's story is not that new with the overused cliche of Aliens from space, not to mention time travel.
Sonic hasn't had much luck in those areas either aside from Colours. Riders 2, Shadow The Hedgehog and 06 ring a bell?
And that's a bad thing?!
Silver wasn't exactly the most original character I've ever seen, and the rest of the game's art direction and plot was terrible IMO.
The space thing was actually quite significant. Not that it hasn't been done before, but it was executed really well and creatively. You're barely even acknowledging it, and I think that's somewhat unfair.
Okay, name me a game where Mario becomes a were-wolf........ none? See my point?
Actually, no. Not to mention the Werehog doesn't even fit into Sonic - It plays like a different game - Not very good when people bought a Sonic game for Sonic gameplay. I think it had potential, but it seemed like it was just trying to make the game longer.
Indeed. :D Sonic has dabbled in almost all sorts of genres. Mario's game history is just repetitive.
Mario dabbles in extra genres in spin-off games so the people who want Mario gameplay get it for the main, hyped up titles. Mario keeps the experiments seperate. Whether or not this is a good thing is subjective, but it seems fair for people who buy Mario for Mario.

And no, I am definitely not agreeing with Commander Shepard. Anyone who has played both series can say they play completely differently. I understand that you guys were mostly just disagreeing with him anyway.

I was going to say more and explain myself a bit better, but I suddenly got distracted by this show I'm watching so bye!
I make stuff sometimes
Image trophy x 5
MIND-FREAK