The Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread!

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Sleuth
Spoken languages: English

Re: The Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread!

Post by Sleuth »

Oh dear, is this going to turn into another Twilight thread incident?

Actually, I have to agree that I never liked 06 because of the plot.
It screwed up a lot of continuity with Blaze, one of my favorite characters. So she's from the future? But what about in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure? In those games, she's from a different dimension, which makes things less confusing. Also, Silver isn't there and she never mentions him, so what?
I also didn't like how at the end, the events in the game never happened, which made me pretty mad.
Spoiler : Major Ghost Trick spoiler :
I know they did it in Ghost Trick, but that was the goal, not just a last-minute climax.
Okay, I'm done.
Last edited by Sleuth on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrialmanAKASoma Cruz

Post by TrialmanAKASoma Cruz »

BLAST! You spoiled Ghost Trick on me!
I love all generations of My Little Pony and I'm proud of it! Paste this into your sig if you are too!
To please my Yuri side. (Picture by adcoon on DA)
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
Sissel
Spoken languages: English, Dead thoughts
Location: Could be hiding inside your phone, listening to your conversation with your mum

Post by Sissel »

LunchPolice wrote:You guys do realise that Commander Shepard is almost certainly trolling us, right?

XD

That's why I didn't bother with an actual counter-argument, anyway.
What I will argue against is some of what you guys said. I like that they try new things with Sonic, but they need to pick better ideas. There's nothing wrong with being bold, but the ideas they pick are often pretty meh. Also, it makes more sense to make the base gameplay good before moving on to gimmicks, and once you get to gimmicks you have to execute them properly.
It's story is not that new with the overused cliche of Aliens from space, not to mention time travel.
Sonic hasn't had much luck in those areas either aside from Colours. Riders 2, Shadow The Hedgehog and 06 ring a bell?
Sonic: A game focuses on the rival and has a dark and edgy attitude, with guns and cussing. Mario hasn't got a game with that attitude yet.
And that's a bad thing?!
Sonic: The infamous Sonic '06. It has a new idea, with the introduction of Silver. We're still waiting for an Italian plumber from far in the future with special powers.
Silver wasn't exactly the most original character I've ever seen, and the rest of the game's art direction and plot was terrible IMO.
Mario: Goes into space, space is nothing new, nothing else to say. NEXT!
The space thing was actually quite significant. Not that it hasn't been done before, but it was executed really well and creatively. You're barely even acknowledging it, and I think that's somewhat unfair.
Okay, name me a game where Mario becomes a were-wolf........ none? See my point?
Actually, no. Not to mention the Werehog doesn't even fit into Sonic - It plays like a different game - Not very good when people bought a Sonic game for Sonic gameplay. I think it had potential, but it seemed like it was just trying to make the game longer.
Indeed. :D Sonic has dabbled in almost all sorts of genres. Mario's game history is just repetitive.
Mario dabbles in extra genres in spin-off games so the people who want Mario gameplay get it for the main, hyped up titles. Mario keeps the experiments seperate. Whether or not this is a good thing is subjective, but it seems fair for people who buy Mario for Mario.

And no, I am definitely not agreeing with Commander Shepard. Anyone who has played both series can say they play completely differently. I understand that you guys were mostly just disagreeing with him anyway.

I was going to say more and explain myself a bit better, but I suddenly got distracted by this show I'm watching so bye!
Your not seing my point, I admit, the Sonic games have improved and developed their own unique gameplay, but I meant that the original Sonic the hedgehog was just a copy of Mario, it's not like I'm saying, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ON THE XBOX AND PS3 IS THE SAME AS SUPER MARIO GALAXY, because it isn't.
Made by me, anyone can use it, if they wish
Huddini

Wishing that you'll get better soon, Parrie!
I SUPPORT PARRIE AS A SQUADMATE IN ME3
Meph

Post by Meph »

Hmmm. We're all being a tad bias against Mario. :P
ShadowEdgeworth wrote:I'm annoyed that it's not coming out on Wii. Ergo, I can't play it. Damn you SEGA. :(
Well that's Nintendo's fault for putting such a rubbish graphics card in their Wii. But you will be pleasantly surprised by it's successor, which apparently has a graphics card far better than the Xbox 360 and the PS3, and Nintendo have confirmed that they will reveal it at E3. ;) Maybe Sonic Generations will be a launch title.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

A successor!? I haven't even gotten the 3DS yet!!
LunchPolice
Spoken languages: English, Namekian, Pezazulian

Post by LunchPolice »

Commander Shepard wrote:
Your not seing my point, I admit, the Sonic games have improved and developed their own unique gameplay, but I meant that the original Sonic the hedgehog was just a copy of Mario
I don't even agree with that. Yes, they're both sidescrollers.
However, they don't play very similar at all. Sonic has completely different physics and generally feels very different. It's like saying Soul Calibur and Tekken play the same - while they have similarities, they feel completely unique from each other.
I'm not. I like Mario :cry:
I make stuff sometimes
Image trophy x 5
MIND-FREAK
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

Shadowsleuth wrote:Oh dear, is this going to turn into another Twilight thread incident?

Actually, I have to agree that I never liked 06 because of the plot.
It screwed up a lot of continuity with Blaze, one of my favorite characters. So she's from the future? But what about in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure? In those games, she's from a different dimension, which makes things less confusing. Also, Silver isn't there and she never mentions him, so what?
I also didn't like how at the end, the events in the game never happened, which made me pretty mad.
I know they did it in Ghost Trick, but that was the goal, not just a last-minute climax.

Okay, I'm done.
And you had to shoehorn in an UNMARKED spoiler that just COMPLETELY ruined a game I was really looking forward to that had absolutely nothing to do with Sonic because...?

Thanks a lot. Y'know, for ruining the game for me and all... I really appreciate it.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

*Edgeworth-style bow* Of course. I apologize, good sir.
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

It's alright. But PLEASE mark spoilers in the future. There's nothing I hate more than spoilers.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
TrialmanAKASoma Cruz

I'm with you SuperGanondorf on the Ghost Trick part.
I love all generations of My Little Pony and I'm proud of it! Paste this into your sig if you are too!
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Again, I apologize. I should have put in the spoiler tags. I'll make sure to do that in the future!
Sissel
Spoken languages: English, Dead thoughts
Location: Could be hiding inside your phone, listening to your conversation with your mum

Post by Sissel »

LunchPolice wrote:
Commander Shepard wrote:
Your not seing my point, I admit, the Sonic games have improved and developed their own unique gameplay, but I meant that the original Sonic the hedgehog was just a copy of Mario
I don't even agree with that. Yes, they're both sidescrollers.
However, they don't play very similar at all. Sonic has completely different physics and generally feels very different. It's like saying Soul Calibur and Tekken play the same - while they have similarities, they feel completely unique from each other.
I'm not. I like Mario :cry:
Again, your not reading it, THE ORIGINAL Sonic The Hedgehog was just a copy of Super Mario Bros.
09:48 - Garrus Vakarian <3 Parrie: Iggy, do you think that Sonic is just a clone of Mario?
09:48 - Iggy<3 Parrie: To be honest,I prefer sonic.
09:48 - Iggy<3 Parrie: Mario isn't interesting to me at all.
09:49 - Iggy<3 Parrie: I'm not sure if I even played any of his games for 5 minutes.
09:49 - Iggy<3 Parrie: Although they both have similiar games
09:49 - Iggy<3 Parrie: When it comes to the arcade.
09:49 - Garrus Vakarian <3 Parrie: I mean, do you think the original Sonic was just a copy of Mario, as mario came first
09:49 - Iggy<3 Parrie: mario came first
09:49 - Iggy<3 Parrie: LOL
09:49 - Iggy<3 Parrie: Do you think the original pokemon was just a copy of Digimon?
09:50 - Garrus Vakarian <3 Parrie: Err...I don't know which was made first
09:51 - Garrus Vakarian <3 Parrie: Ah, Digimon was made first, so yeah, probably
09:51 - Iggy<3 Parrie: Nothing is original these days.
09:51 - Garrus Vakarian <3 Parrie: Yeah...
09:51 - Iggy<3 Parrie: Everything is based on the same thing,over and over.
Made by me, anyone can use it, if they wish
Huddini

Wishing that you'll get better soon, Parrie!
I SUPPORT PARRIE AS A SQUADMATE IN ME3
Meph

Post by Meph »

You could really say that a lot of platformer games on the Mega Drive were copies of Mario. I guess Mickey Mania was a copy, too. :P
TrialmanAKASoma Cruz

I suppose under this logic, Streets Of Rage is a copy of Double Dragon.
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
ShadowEdgeworth

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

Commander Shepard wrote:Again, your not reading it, THE ORIGINAL Sonic The Hedgehog was just a copy of Super Mario Bros.
No, YOU'RE not reading it. The original Sonic the Hedgehog is NOT a copy the original Super Mario Bros. Read what LunchPolice said again.
LunchPolice wrote: I don't even agree with that. Yes, they're both sidescrollers.

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!