AAO's Comprehensive Guide for New Trial Authors

Find detailed help from the AAO community, or write your own tutorials.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Phantom

Re: Guide: AAO's Comprehensive Guide for New Trial Authors

Post by Phantom »

Holhol1235 wrote:You might want to say something like, "A trial can be successful no matter how you make it. Though, it's highly recommended that you follow this guidelines," or something...
Actually holhol, depending on how you "make" the trial, you can easily make it or break it in that regard haha xP

You got the right idea though.
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Post by Mimi »

I agree about the improvision, although many of the points you put here I defied when I was a noob. :roll: What am I now? I'm not considered an expert, since my trial series is so slow...

< < Improvision is fun, but it only really works with comedies. Even then, it doesn't come out very good. Having a general plan is usually the best shot. And simple cases are always easier than complex cases--and you were right about investigations. THEY ARE SO DARN HARD TO DO (Although my series starts on investigations, NOT trials.) Nice guide.

It's hard to start out as a noob now. There wasn't so much fuss about trial series... or maybe there was, but I never saw it. :?
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Added a snippet about QA reviews on the main post, in reaction to recent failed QA reviews.
E.D.Revolution wrote:QA reviews are not for simple professional opinions. They are for asking for the trial to be featured, which is totally different than asking for opinions. It's best to wait a couple of weeks before you ask for a QA rather than a few days since the release of your trial. That way, you have time to develop and mature your trial to V2 or whatever update. QA reviewers are harder on you than your resident trial critics. Just because you've got good (note: good) reviews doesn't necessarily mean you're prepared for a QA. If people all over AAO are talking about your trial, you can almost guarantee that you're prepared for a QA review. In fact, ask some tough critics for a review of your trial before asking for a QA. They often see things most people miss (and it will help you cover up major errors before a QA.)
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

I should point out that in a few cases, I suggested to people to get the QA. :P
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Oh... Well, that's new... :oops: Will correct that later.
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I have added in a part in the Helpful Hints part of the guide regarding taking expert's advice.
E.D.Revolution wrote:Taking an expert's advice and spitting it back in their faces is the best way to get your trial flamed. Don't do it. Take the advice gracefully, since they're experts.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Emphasize that you don't HAVE to take the advice, but definitely accept it with grace since they took the time to provide them in the first place.
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I will duly note that in the first post. :)
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Post by Mimi »

Hmm...
Spoiler : Another thought... just a thought, okay? :
I was thinking, maybe you could replace "experts" with "since they're more experienced at the Trial Editor". Wouldn't want to make them scared of us experts. Unless you're going for the friendly, humorous tone.
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Is there any way to use a synonym for the word "expert" without making this a whole mouthful to say?
Godot Mango
Spoken languages: English, some german

Post by Godot Mango »

Experienced?
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Will duly note that. :)

EDIT: Added an entry under Reviews and QA
Do yourself a favor and research who your critics may be. A critic who has a few successful trials under their belt (especially featured trials) and has a reputation for making great trials (especially those who are successfully put innovations in their trials) tend to make reviews that carry more weight than other types of critics. Also, know which users make detailed bug reports, because you want to seek their opinion in fixing bugs, especially before a QA.
Tap
Spoken languages: English

Post by Tap »

Meph wrote:I should point out that in a few cases, I suggested to people to get the QA. :P
The problem is, when you suggest people to get QA's, you always push them onto me, since I'm the free reviewer. :XD:

- - - -

This guide's shaping up quite nicely, ED! I really like it. Perhaps this actually needs to be stickied or made an announcement in the near future, since it is becoming just as detailed as the actual "How to use the editor" guide that Meph, Unas and henke37 worked on! =)
ImageImage
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Perhaps it should, Tap. :phoenix:

Thanks for the accolades. But don't just thank me. I could not have gotten started without SuperGanondorf and Phantom, when we started this idea on Xat. :D

I still welcome more ideas based on observations and experience. And I'd like some input on it as well..

(BTW, when are you going to get finished with the QA guide?)
Jean Of mArc
Spoken languages: English, French, Japanese

Post by Jean Of mArc »

Just read this for the first time, but it's a great, and very informative, guide for people new to the forums! I'm sure I broke some of the rules when I first came here and made the first round of The Omniscient Game... but I plead ignorance! Anyhow, thanks for posting, I hope the new people actually read it! Haha.
Last edited by Jean Of mArc on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.