An idea for the next Mafia round(s)

Archives of the AAOnline Mafia game, now relocated to http://saccharynepark.co.cc/
Ami
Spoken languages: English

Re: An idea for the next Mafia round(s)

Post by Ami »

0.o ...this is a bit confusing. Let me analyze this a bit longer...
since 2008!
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

not that I'm unsure : I think that most roles could land on any side, so that identifying someone's role does not mean you identified his faction :D

That's for more suspense, you see :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
XDGummyDX
Spoken languages: English, pequito Espanol.

Post by XDGummyDX »

Ah, I get it. :D
Thank you for the sig, Kuro~
Karfka

Post by Karfka »

So even if someone says that they have a certain role, that doesn't mean that you can trust them, (even if they are telling the truth) unless that's one of the specified roles. Nice twist. That could kill quite a few of the more gullible players.
Fuzznerdees

Post by Fuzznerdees »

*Applauds*

This is an excellent idea. With a little fixing up to the jury system, this would a very interesting game. Karf's idea for it would be good for balancing out the jury, probably fixing any flaws it had.
Karfka

Post by Karfka »

Thank you fuzz. Don't usually get compliments from you. :mrgreen:
Prinny_Baal

Post by Prinny_Baal »

Eh, generally it's a good idea. I'd post my thoughts...

But at the moment? I'm not in a very socializing mood, so, instead:

Token post to indicate that this idea is actually worth following through on, and that over-all, I'd like to see it worked on and adopted.
"I can do this dood!"
djoftheweb

Post by djoftheweb »

I like this. One of the more interesting ideas I've heard for a mafia round. There are some things that could be changed, but I'd love to be apart of a round like this.
Forcemaster
Spoken languages: English

Post by Forcemaster »

Unas would make a great GM, mirite?
He robbed from the rich, and he gave to the poor
Stood up to the man, and gave him what for
Our love for him now, ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne
Zeroes

Post by Zeroes »

Well, he's taking care of the site really well, so I'd think so! XD
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Forcemaster wrote:Unas would make a great GM, mirite?
But he can't :wink:

First because I won't be able to connect here much more than once a week, from September 1st to May, approximately. (studies are starting again, and I can't afford having the same results this year than last year)
Second because even if I had time, remember that I'm in France... My day is not synchronised with the one of most people, and knowing that the GM is the one who has the most work to do and is supposed to react quickly... :)

By the way, I'm editing the first post to add problems that have been pointed out and other's ideas :D
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Prinny_Baal

Post by Prinny_Baal »

Alright, I've been thinking this over, and here's my thoughts:

Increase the jury size to a 7 person jury.

Next up, we change the defense and prosecution attorney slots to be a simple "Defense Attorney" and "Prosecuting Attorney" pair of roles, with a slight change to the basic power: Let them choose the direction to move the vote. Seriously, the series has even proven that as much as the defense can defend their client, they can also get them found guilty deliberately.

Further, I would suggest another role:

Judge:
Power: Judge's Ruling
This power may influence the vote either in one direction, as the defense and prosecution normally influence it, or, at the judge's choice, negate the effect of the defense and prosecution's effects on the ruling. The judge is informed after each lynch whether the defense and prosecution influenced the vote, and in which direction.

Finally, some assorted comments on what I think should be slight changes specifically to powers:

Manfred: The evidence forgery bit is something I've always toyed around with in my mind. Used properly, it would be an incredibly powerful tool, one that would also result in everyone disregarding all posts that are more than a certain period old, or at least get a lot more skilled people to start copying posts into a notepad when they first see them. Really, depending on when it's activated changes how powerful it is. If you can activate it and the GM changes the post almost immediately afterward, it might be worthwhile to try to change someone's newer post quickly, before many replies come up. That's one that I see being powerful dependent on way too many factors outside of the user's control. Could be equal to a hidden used right, otherwise, is equal to a lesser normal done wrong.

Damon Gant: HOLY, that power/one-time combo is ridiculous. For the most part, he'll be just waiting for most of the game, except for when absolutely needed, if he's mafian, he's going to be incredibly powerful, if a role goes up, expect them to die that night if they aren't lynched. If a basic townie, well, not much of a prize. If he's townie on the other hand, aren't normal powers still usable after using your hidden? Wouldn't it be in his best interest to activate his hidden immediately, since being able to confirm that he's townie to the District Chief will help immensely, and then combined with utilizing his power to build up a base of confirmed townies... Yea, that looks like it's going to become a win for the town if he isn't taken out early on.

Aside from those two people, there's nothing very specific I'd like to bring up. Some abilities are more useful than others, but those two represent the most unusual points.

Now then, I had a further idea on how to carry this out, but for now, I'm sort of fine just watching. For now, I just hope it goes well, as always.
"I can do this dood!"
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

I think the fact that Gant's identity is revealed to the CP is quite a good thing. Don't forget that most townies are in the dark since they can't see the jury's votes : if there is some kind of a rally point it's not bad. However, don't think it'll be so simple to get all townies with them once they both know each other : they'll need to convince the townies they found that they're on the same side. Not that easy, considering that Mafians could also simulate this on the other side :mrgreen:
So it's not like an Instant WIN power :P
About his normal power when he's on the Mafia side though, it's true that it'd be too easy to eliminate roles...

True, Gant's profile needs some work :lol:

The 7 person jury is a good idea :)
Your Judge power is fine too, although we need to find a one-time power for that profile now :mrgreen:

About the defense and prosecution... Their normal power is to do their job as they usually do. And when doing his job, Phoenix almost always win an acquittal, whereas Edgey is known as a gifted prosecutor...
True, they can exceptionnaly decide to change side, which is the meaning of Edgey's one-time power, but I believe it's more in character to have it as an unusual thing. (As far as I know, it only happens in the second half of a trial, whereas there are 3 games and 13 trials - I didn't consider AA3 since I don't have it yet)
And about these one-time powers, Phoenix's one could become that he can either win an acquittal or an accurate verdict, whereas Edgey can either win a Guilty verdict or an accurate one...

About Manfred's power... it the player can decide "that player's latest post" so that the GM edits the most recent one as soon as he connects, does it seem better to you ? This would reduce the importance of the latency between the edit order and the gm's connection...

Anyway, thank you a lot Prinny for pointing all this out :D
ImageImageImage
Prinny_Baal

Post by Prinny_Baal »

Well, my problem with Manfred's power isn't anything with the power itself, it's that really, the player makes or breaks that power before it even reaches the mitigating factors. You'll need to have lightning reflexes, a keen mind for psychology and sociology, some forestudy of your target, and more. Not to mention, once it's clear that manfred has modified some posts of your target, it's possible to produce a backlash. I think someone skilled enough might be able to utilize that backlash effect much better than the main effect, but aside from that, I dunno. I'd leave it open as it is, it'll need the flexibilty for Manfred to use it appropriately. Sadly, with the skill in the open like that, it's ruined much of it's impact. It would've been wonderful as a hidden power that no-one realized was even possible until someone finds that half their posts subtly incriminate them.

Also, keep in mind, personally, Gant as townie is most likely to use it immediately. Even one confirmed ally is a huge boost. To be honest, if I were to change him at all, all I would do is change it so his hidden doesn't reveal his affiliation, ((Or better yet, has a 60/40 divide on revealing, with majority going to correct.)) and leave it at that. The point is, once you've got one person confirmed, you can start working from that point. Oh, and seriously? I can figure several ways to role-prove gant and the district chief, even if it's a time-consuming process in the early game.

Actually, I'd love to point out, that there's a very simple other way to make it fairer to both sides: Give him a small, say, 10% miss chance, and instead of it being a "Wrong Affiliation" it's actually a "Wrong Role" meaning that if it falls on that, not only does it get the affiliation wrong, but the role wrong as well. Also leaves it open to "Always appears townie" effects, as it's no longer a 100%. Although questionably, the role may still show up appropriately. Meh. Just debug at that point.
"I can do this dood!"
Tekken kid 101

Post by Tekken kid 101 »

I like your idea unas