Turnabout of the Century

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

ZetaAzuel
Spoken languages: English

Re: Turnabout of the Century

Post by ZetaAzuel »

Well at least I was consistent in the rankings ^.^"
Hersh is officially the best for making this awesome Rogan and Parseline Sig!
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Voodoo the Wobbufett Lv. 14
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
Dypo deLina
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Al Bhed

Post by Dypo deLina »

A bit later than I expected due to (yet another) birthday party I had to attend yesterday, but here are the comments thus far (excluding Zeta's as I plan to replay his trial in order to explore the bad ending and experiment with presenting / examining a bit more.
  • The Queen's Turnabout, by Gumpei and BBblader
    Spoiler : Running Commentary :
    - Neat loading screen.
    - That… that was the single, most gargantuan, awesomely epicallicious (that totally is a word) Prologue (yes, it deserves an uppercase letter) I’ve ever laid my eyes on. The music synched perfectly, the images were fitting, and the text that went with it was very fascinating… the fact that it’s apparently partly based on Romeo and Juliet is also quite intriguing… I tried to go back to this tab to write something about the Prologue prior to its end, believe me, but I knew that the music would go on and part of the experience would be ruined by non-synched music, and I didn’t want that. You know a prologue is epic when something like that goes through your head while watching it; this is truly what a prologue should be like.
    - And so it begins… apparently, the story is told from the point of view of Alleyne… an elf? How very interesting… you’ve already got me hooked.
    - Nowa… another elf, I suppose.
    - zomgwhat?! Where did you find that character theme? It’s so smexy!
    - Echidna… for some reason, I’m suddenly compelled to see whose name that character shares in order to find out what her name references (though I think I should know who it is, having taken Ancient Greek)... That’s definitely a good sign…
    - …Oh damn, that’s Echidna? The mother of all monsters? Suddenly I’m scared of this character that shares Franziska’s appearance.
    - Combat instructor… Alleyne is a combat instructor?
    - Mm… Alleyne and Echidna had a relationship? That must mean Alleyne is male then (hey, don’t blame me, Alleyne could totally be a female name too >_> )
    EDIT: Apparently, Echidna is bisexual, so that point it moot. Welp.
    - Night classes? Oh you naughty people you.
    - For centuries…? Ah yes, elves have a much greater lifespan than humans… of course. That makes sense.
    - Imprinting instead of presenting, huh? Fascinating.
    - Count Vance...? Where have I heard that name before? Ah well, it’s prolly just my imagination.
    - A murder… aha. I was wondering when a murder would be brought up.
    - What’s with this scoring business…? Is it some scale of annoyingness?
    - Missing brother? MY KEEN DETECTIVE SENSES TELL ME THIS IS IMPORTANT.
    - She didn’t know her brother was getting married to Elena? Talk about being detached from your family…
    - Courting a human? Well, I can’t blame him. There are some smexy humans in this world. Well, at least him leaving explains why Alleyne didn’t know of his marriage.
    - The count has multiple mistresses? My Pimp-O-Meter is going crazy!
    - Bigger reason…? For some reason that sounds rather wrong coming from Echidna.
    - The Elven Preliminary system… this sounds damn interesting.
    - Ah wait, so the Vance family is human… oh damn, should’ve gathered that when Alleyne said Dongolev was courting a human.
    - A Justice Keeper, a Truth Keeper, and an Honor Keeper are needed, huh…? I’m guessing those are the judge, the prosecutor and the defense attorney, in no particular order.
    - I’m guessing that Alleyne is one of those then.
    - I was right. Alleyne is an Honor Keeper, apparently… though if that’s a defense attorney or a prosecutor, I don’t know.
    - Temple of Judgement… in other words, the courthouse. Fancy name.
    - I’m guessing the Seal of Honor is either the prosecutor’s badge or the attorney’s badge.
    - Hey, the score went down… *asks Gumpei*
    - oic, so a high score is good.
    - Alright, lessee… so I just go home now…?
    - …Y U HAVE SO MANY SMEXY THEMES?!
    - A psyche-lock as a Seal of Honor? Hmm, somehow it works.
    - “All ladders have steps! A step-ladder would be completely redundant!”
    …BRAIN! Y U NEVER LOOK AT IT LOGICALLY, LIKE THAT?! (Seriously, I never thought of it that way. O_O)
    - Did I mention I love how uptight Alleyne is? Because I do.
    - Ah, I see… so the Honor Keeper is the defense attorney, the Justice Keeper is the prosecutor, and the Truth Keeper is the judge.
    - Wow, you guys put a lot of effort into the explanation of the appearance of the Seal of Honor. Now I kinda feel like it’ll always look like a Seal of Honor to me. xD
    - There’s… something within the Seal itself? Hmm… I wonder what it is…
    - Ah, I see… Nowa is a half-blood…
    - Sweet! The Seal of Honor was added to the court record! Now lessee… huh. Something ‘precious to him’ is sealed within it? I sense this is important…
    - …Somehow, I have this nagging feeling that Echidna will be the Justice Keeper… *shudder*
    - TO THE CRIME SCENE MOBILE!
    - N-N-N-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! OLDBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG!! D:
    - …Wait, wtf?! Older!Ema…?
    …Wait a sec, was that Nowa? Naaah…
    - And zomg, stop using such smexy music, it hurts my self-esteem because I can’t find any themes that are that gooooooooooood D:
    - zomg I’m not sure what to present, I mean I have so much to choose from (ie. Only the Seal of Honor). xD
    - Bucky? Buckminster?
    - Ah, a subordinate of hers.
    - …Now that I think of it, where the heck did Oldbag go? I’m pretty damn sure I saw her nametag earlier…
    - …OH YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME. O_____________________________O
    - Now her gimmick makes sense too! Whereas Old!Oldbag rants about the young, Young!Oldbag rants about older people! That’s pretty damn clever.
    - zomg the crime scene! Yusssssss~!
    - Ok… Claudette looks like Lana, is missing a hand and lower body, and she can float. Nice. xD
    - This Elegy of the Captured theme is FREAKING AWESOME. I just LOOOOOOVE the violin!
    - Thunder-based magic? That’s epic! (Gotta love trials that involve magic...)
    - She’s not next in line to become countess…?
    - Zomg, she’s a bastard child…? I wonder how this ties in with the crime…?
    - Ah, that makes sense… a married child would ‘beat’ her status as elder sister…
    - Elena was very spoilt, apparently… suddenly the use of Dahlia’s profile seems dang appropriate.
    - Elena… RAPED HER SISTER?! THE HELL?!
    - Lolz, ‘vivid picture’
    - ‘Notes’ added to the court record. I bet this is gonna be updated as we find more information…
    - Leina lives in a bubble of happiness… how interesting. I wonder how that ties in with the story…
    - Ah, maybe that was the reason Elena was gonna marry Dongolev; because Leina was getting married and would thus become countess. If Elena were to get married to, her being older would take precedence. Still, I have to wonder… what kind of motive would Elena have to pursue the position of countess…?
    - Mm, I get the impression Claudette would be the best-suited candidate for the position of countess.
    - Leina has disappeared, as well, huh? Maybe she ran away with Dongolev?
    - As I expected, the Notes got updated.
    - Was that… some sort of ‘ceremony’? That was very elegantly worded, definitely.
    - Trying to stay away from Leina…? Maybe they got into a fight? Or maybe she was trying to stay clear of her in order to avoid having to suppress her ‘urges’…
    - Hmm, I thought that tradition was weird, too… that a groom and his bride aren’t supposed to see each other on their wedding day, I mean.
    - Hmm, I get the feeling she’s hiding something when she states her reason for calling Alleyne by her title… I somehow think she’s the bastard child of the count’s wife and an elf…
    - “You remind me a lot of myself when I was your age, dearie. It's just something special I see in you!”
    Oh you clever people you
    - omigosh, the crime scene! :D
    - Masterful editing of the crime scene… xD
    - HOT DAMN. MOAR SMEXY THEME?!
    - Indeed, there doesn’t seem to be a corpse.
    - Oldbag was invited for Dongolev’s wedding…? And he didn’t bother to invite his SISTER?
    - Ah, so she DID know Dongolev was getting married…
    - A sword, huh? Certainly fits the medieval theme, and let’s face it: swords are the epicest weapons evar.
    - A lever? MUST PULL
    - Thunderclap…? Oh man, this doesn’t sound good…
    - Gonna be hidin’ somethin’~.
    - Trucy? An angel?
    - HOLY SHI- DAMMIT, CUT IT OUT WITH THE SMEXY THEMES
    - wait, wtf? She really IS an angel?
    - I love how every new character is female and the only male is missing. xD
    - That appearance has gotta be important…
    - omigosh, Archaic English!
    - HOLY FREAKING MOTHER OF GOD, DAT THEME
    - And Kristoph
    - BUT THAT THEME
    - Philo Vance… oh my God, I feel so dense for not noticing that reference earlier now. >_>
    - Hrm… I don’t like this guy’s guts.
    - “(Philo Vance... you disgust me with every fiber of your being.)”
    My thoughts exactly.
    - Still his theme is epic.
    - Alleyne’s hatred of humans is very eloquently worded.
    - Ugh, damn this guy… I bet he killed her himself, the sick bastard. >_>
    - “Leina and Elena were as close as sisters could get.”
    In all the wrong ways… >_>
    - “(I want to STRANGLE this man...)”
    Can’t say I don’t share that sentiment…
    - Somehow, I get the impression Vance didn’t care much for Dongolev… the gritted teeth thing seems to support that theory.
    - Angel’s sprites…?
    - Ah, she’s a maid.
    - “Ellie”? Lolz xD
    - Nyx…? That must be the maid I saw earlier…
    - Elena… WHAT?! She used a sword on Nyx…?
    - Nyx… took the sword?
    - To ze library~!
    - Wait, I just now noticed… that Angel pose is custom.
    - That blushing thing is cute… dammit, if Alleyne were male this would be top-tier shipping material.
    - …Canon… you never cease to fricking amaze me. I can’t believe I forgot to comment on it here! D: It was epic though, believe you me!
    - …Words cannot describe the sheer hilarity of that scene. It had me laughing out loud and my parents were looking at me sort of strangely… but it was WORTH IT.
    - “I imagine Gourdy, Baron, and Vulper are hungry...”
    Zomg AAO references
    - …wait, FEEDING plants? You can’t seriously mean Elena keeps carnivorous plants… right?
    - Amaran ethanol? But isn’t ethanol another name for alcohol?
    - Something sped around the corner…? Something tells me this is important… not sure why… :P
    - I’m starting to hate that Vance more and more… >_>
    - “M-Me? I-I'm... not a very interesting person...”
    On the contrary, Ms. Nyx.
    - Lady Maria, huh…
    - Doesn’t sound like Dongolev and Elena were close.
    - A d-death threat…? Somehow I get the impression it was sent to the wrong person…
    - …Lady Elena’s handwriting? Am I still playing the same case? Did I somehow enter reverse world?
    - …Wait, it makes sense actually. It could’ve been self-defense… though I doubt it. That would be way too simple.
    - …Actually, then it would still make sense. Kill or be killed… I guess that would be the Justice Keeper’s interpretation.
    - Hmm, I wonder why Claudette’s so stubborn about the death threat… must be something important.
    - Oh noez, Oldbag again?! D:
    - A side-quest…? This is feeling more and more like a medieval RPG. xD
    - oh, no side-quest. She’s in the room I need to enter. xD
    - moar smexy themes? How many of those do you have, anyway…?
    - Nanael? Fitting name for an angel…
    - Holy crap, there ARE carnivorous plants in here! O_O
    - …oh my freaking God, another novel. xDDDDDD
    - Holy poses? Is this some reference I don’t get?
    - Okay, this time I’m gonna leave comments for sure!!
    - Oh man, the pointing sprite… xD
    - aw dammit, I forgot again =(
    - Also, did I mention Nanael is awesome? Because she is. She’s just the opposite of a stereotypical angel… xD
    - ARCHANGEL NANAEL? WUT
    - Aldra, the Elven Queen, is… a monkeybitch?
    - Insta-results can apparently not be achieved by angels. By VICTOR EDGEWORTH, on the other hand… ;D
    - “Considering what's happened here, I think the Queen is going to be the Truth Keeper in the upcoming trial!”
    Bwahaha, I knew it! This case isn’t gonna have any males except the one that’s missing. xD
    - Aha, the Amaran Ethanol turned up!
    - Lol, I can’t believe Oldbag believed the eyesight excuse! xD
    - Shyeah, she’s definitely not gonna stop, angel or not. Yeah right, Oldbag, I totally believes ya.
    - *spits out coffee* OH MY GOOOOOOOOD ECHIDNA’S SMEXY THEME
    - …Instructor…?
    - Oh God, I gigglesnorted! xD Echidna actually IS the Justice Keeper!! I called it! xDDD
    - Oh crap, she knows about the trespassing thing…
    - Dirty-minded Echidna… though I can’t deny that she makes me crack up like hell.
    - “A bit more private”? Ewwww…
    - A bedroom? This is getting worse and worse…
    - Wow, she said two whole sentences without making sexually tainted allusions.
    - …Aaaaaand that’s the Echidna we all know and love.
    - “(Always. The. Same. With. You.)”
    My sentiments exactly…
    - Mm, yes, the lever… it’s definitely the key to this case. My gut says so, and it never lies.
    - …That sword thing was quite… clever.
    - Something sped around the corne- wait. What if that was Anael?
    - *peeking
    - Hah, Alleyne may not have ‘forgotten’ anything, but she didn’t mention it either.
    - Requested to be the Justice Keeper…? Echidna…?
    - ‘Straight’ answers, huh?
    o i c wut u did thar
    - “Called it.”
    I dunno why, but that made me crack up.
    - “Acting like”? No, we’re sure.
    - Holy crap epic- I mean smexy suspense music
    - Sensing each other… that’s a useful ability to have.
    - …Why is there a dinner table out on the streets?
    - Ah, there’s Nowa.
    - She smelled food? Typical assistant behaviour. You scored a 95.
    - Who’s that…?
    - oh crap moar smexy music
    - Elven orphans?!
    - Oh noez, she laughs like Calisto Yew! D: IT’S A TRAP ALLEYNE, GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE
    - Wow, that was actual profanity. Heads-up, it’ll be considered M-rated by Meph now.
    - But that woman… she’s like a human Alleyne.
    - And I called it, didn’t I? The only guy in the game will be the one who’s missing, all other cast members will be females. xD
    - Head Angel, huh…? So that’s Anael’s boss.
    - Famine…? Death…? Pestilence…? (What does that even mean?) War…?
    - HOLY CRAP SMEXY MUSIC
    - oh and the horse riders…
    - …OF THE APOCALYPSE?! WHAT?! And they’re surrounding the Head Angel?! What… what the hell…?
    - A diamond… a demon? And the shape is formed around a statue of the Head Angel…
    …Oh God, it can’t be…
    - It’s cursed…? Heaven will be blinded?
    - …Wow… impressive backstory…
    - Wait… what Anael said earlier…
    - …Yep, called it. This is the cause of that ‘shadow’…
    - omgwtfbbq? I didn’t quite catch that name…
    - oh it was fake.
    - There it is again, more profanity. I guess this’ll be following the same rules as the Undecided Turnabout eventually then?
    - …How does this woman know so much about the Elven Preliminary?
    - Risty and her orphanage weren’t originally situated there…? How curious…
    - …Amaran Ethanol? Again?
    - She got flustered when she read the label… how very suspicious. I bet she’s an accomplice in the crime.
    - Lol, Ron… xD
    - Sneaky Alleyne… but at least now I get how the Amaran Ethanol ties into it. And maybe Risty was the one who ‘sped around the corner’…
    - A guard? But I thought there were no guards…
    - Wait, was that ‘guard’ Dongolev?
    - >Meeting Echidna and Oldbag
    >It’s in our best interests
    Yes, yes, of course… that makes perfect sense.
    - …D’oh. How childish…
    - “...So your eyes are good enough to spot twigs but not good enough to spot gleaming gold jewelry?”
    My thoughts exactly!
    - It’s probably important…
    - Kelta-kun?
    …Oh damn, my belief that there wouldn’t be any more males has just been shattered.
    …Oh wait, it already was when Vance was introduced. Derp.
    - AHA! SO THAT’S WHERE THE SMEXY MUSIC CAME FROM
    - QUEEN’S BLADE OST, HERE I COME
    - They are… actual characters…? God, I’m gonna love Queen’s Blade from the sound of it.

Aww, it ended… Right, so, a quick review might be in order.
    Spoiler : Review :
    First off, the Prologue, although it’s sort of unnecessary as I spent quite a bit of time on that while commenting. Still, for the sake of simplicity, let’s c/p it here.

That… that was the single, most gargantuan, awesomely epicallicious (that totally is a word) Prologue (yes, it deserves an uppercase letter) I’ve ever laid my eyes on. The music synched perfectly, the images were fitting, and the text that went with it was very fascinating… the fact that it’s apparently partly based on Romeo and Juliet is also quite intriguing… I tried to go back to this tab to write something about the Prologue prior to its end, believe me, but I knew that the music would go on and part of the experience would be ruined by non-synched music, and I didn’t want that. You know a prologue is epic when something like that goes through your head while watching it; this is truly what a prologue should be like.

Second, characterisation. Every single character felt refreshing and original, and each was as fascinating as the next. You also captured the villain-y vibe Vance was supposed to give extremely well, and you gave each of the characters their own, unique twists and quirks, bordering on insanity. But you know I love that, so well done.

Third, the SMEXY MUSIC. I won’t waste much time on this, as the choice of music was just brilliant. However, the suspense theme was a little too loud for my tastes, so lowering the volume might be in order. Aside from that though, it’s the pure definition of smexy.

Fourth, the plot. It was a tangled mess of information that all tied into each other elegantly, and each time a potential explanation came up it made sense. The underlying events and the pacing were brilliant, and the plot devices were just great. I love how things weren’t resolved shortly after a question emerged, and how I always got this ‘Aha! Now it all makes sense!’ moment when it was resolved. There’s also plenty of material to speculate and form theories, but I’ll get back on that later, when I’m done judging the other trials.

Fifth, the Martin Summer novels. Damn hilarious. You have no idea how much I laughed at those, and I’d like to keep it that way or you might drastically change your opinion of me. How you interpret that is up to you. ;P

Last but certainly not least, theme relevance. From what I could tell, the fact that it took place in a medieval era really affected the case, e.g. the accuracy of the tests and the murder weapon (I mean, it’s a sword. How cool is that?!)
    The Elven Preliminary thing probably won’t have much of an effect on the gameplay in court, but it at least made it FEEL like the medieval theme matters, and that’s what counts as far as I’m concerned. Good job on that.

Honestly, the only thing I didn’t like about the trial was the epic crudeness of some edits, but as there were time constraints I won’t blame you for that (and the epic crudeness made it funny anyway). Oh, and the use of profanity prolly wasn’t very wise, although it was usually warranted and gave the trial a bit of a darker feel (which completely vanished whenever Echidna appeared).

Overall, I enjoyed it, although that’s a bit of an understatement.

…Honestly, if you don’t finish this, I’ll personally track you down and force you to do it. I’m serious.
  • The Descended Turnabout, by Lind
    - Hmm, no timers in the prologue?
    - Wait, why is the phone visible?
    - Classy change in music… though really, it’d have been better with timers.
    - Wrong red colour… though since you’re new, you probably didn’t know that yet.
    - Interesting… you’re filling the player in on the recent developments.
    - To the stars, huh?
    - Holy shi- I thought it was a bit more abstract than that… nice spaceship.
    - Colonies in space… fascinating.
    - Olympus, as in Mount Olympus?
    - Aha, Apollo was allowed to live in Olympus. Nice reference, I almost missed that.
    - The timestamps are ordered wrongly. Instead of
    “June 20th, 2126
    8:47 AM
    Athena's Apartment”,
    It should be
    “June 20, 8:47 AM
    Athena's Apartment”
    The year is never really shown.
    - Bahaha, I’m liking Hermes already, even prior to seeing him.
    - Timestamp’s wrong again, but I’ll refrain from noting that in the future.
    - Totally fitting theme for a bumbling fool like Hermes. Although a likeable fool.
    - “You have no other relatives, no clients, and I'm pretty sure you have no friends.”
    Ouch, that’s harsh.
    - Wow. Hermes gives a whole new meaning to “messy rooms”.
    - Hah, I knew Hermes was badass.
    - Green text when Hermes was talking? What?
    - Another bookcase? Running out of space for books? Oh God, I know that feeling…
    - Stepladder/Ladder reference GET!
    - Wow, that university looks pretty retro.
    - Purple-haired girl with pink shirt. Right.
    - Futuristic backgrounds, check.
    - “Ahhhh, hehe, Ms. Justice. Glad to see you made it.”
    What’s with the typewriter and the green text?
    - The hand thing Oldbag does instantly makes Delore a creep. Seriously.
    - Dammit, that guy must be some incarnation of Director Hotti. Calling it now.
    - Molehills? I do believe you mean ‘anthills’…
    - Retro classroom, much? Looks like everything is made out of wood…
    …Zvarri! In the future, they’ll invent metal that looks like wood! EVERYTHING MAKES PERFECT SENSE NOW.
    - Oskar von Karma…? Guess that explains the outfit.
    - “...I don't really own any clothes that aren't like this.”
    Laziness to the max!
    - Oh come on, Athena, everyone knows it’s more fashionable to keep your badge in your pocket!
    - Holy crap! A gunshot?
    - Mr. Delore got killed?!
    - OH HELL YES! :D
    - “Help! Someone help me!”
    Oh come on, stop using green text for that…
    - They didn’t catch the culprit. Rule of thumb: the defendant is innocent, unless you’re playing as a prosecutor.
    - …And unless your defendant goes by the name Matt Engarde.
    - Hermes? Working? That’s… nah, he must be faking it. Yup, no doubt about it.
    - Mm, les random male blips appeared!
    - Hermes? A tidy office? Pinch me, I’m dreaming.
    - …Oh, I forgot to note… the trial could use some more variety in music. It all sounds pretty standard.
    - …He got all serious. Who are you and what did you do to Hermes?
    - Bwaha, he just delegated a murder case to her first thing! xD I love how he just stays expressionless when he drops the bomb.
    - The Turnabout Sisters theme sounds sort of out of place there, considering Hermes is Athena’s brother and the theme sounds sort of… female…
    - Ah, so that guy’s the defendant… for some reason, I had a feeling it’d be him.
    - Holy crap, he escaped from jail! xD
    As a heads-up, you should be using the ‘behind’ background here.
    - Oh, he teleported back.
    - Oh hey, he escaped again.
    - Hmm, a partially disassembled gun… interesting.
    - He just up and picked up a gun…? Talk about dense…
    - A grudge against Delore…? This keeps getting worse and worse…
    - The suspense theme ended pretty suddenly. I suggest taking it out altogether.
    - It says “Letter of Request added to the court record.” In green.
    Instead, it should say “Letter of Request added to the Court Record.” In blue.
    - What, that girl again…?
    - “Hmm... I'm surprised there's no tape blocking off the entrance or anything.”
    Typewriter? Seriously?
    - zomg random appearance
    - I’m pretty sure Oskar will be the prosecutor…
    - “Well, here we are. My first crime scene.”
    Noooooooo, typewriteeeeeeeer
    - “Heeeeermes! 'Zat you, man?”
    Aaaaaaaaagh
    - Here comes the Skye.
    - Gyahaha, I already like this guy.
    - This guy must be the most incompetent detective ever… even Gumshoe wouldn’t let Phoenix examine the crime scene at first… xD
    - Hmm, Ema’s theme doesn’t really fit Claude. As with the Turnabout Sisters theme, it’s a bit feminine.
    - The Demigun (I’m gonna call it that from now on) was bothering me, too.
    - I think Hermes is right on the money.
    - ‘its’, not ‘it’s’ (when it’s used as a possessive pronoun, of course)
    - …An accomplice? But then, why didn’t he just throw down the entire gun? That doesn’t make any sense. At all.
    - Some went missing? I bet Claude was on guard duty…
    - Ooh! Or Claude himself did it!!
    …Yeah, it makes no sense.
    - Broken tags?
    - …Oh yeah, and the rock.
    - Blue text when adding things to the Court Record. Blue.
    - Yeah, I bet Hermes could use it.
    - Decent map… although I think it’d look better with Dan’s map-making tutorial.
    - Huh. When examining, the entire classroom nets you the same examine dialogue.
    - …Uh… where am I supposed to go now?
    - Wow, the problem I was having magically fixed itself. That nets you style points.
    - That pink girl again!
    - …Okay, that was weird. Why was there only one examinable spot?
    - Aw, gosh darn it. That dang pink girl again!
    - …What’s with this theme? It’s… eccentric. It’s like one of those themes that plays when someone is really stoned.
    - Oh man, this girl is the witness?
    …This is gonna be awful.
    - Do I sense a possible ship?
    - Hm, she had a pretty quick opinion-change there.
    - Holy crap! She punched him in the gut?! Poor Andy…
    - …He definitely missed something. No doubt about it. Nope.
    - Gosh darned typewriter…
    - There’s no ‘fail examination’ dialogue.
    - Ha, of course Jenny would fail.
    - …Suspense? What?
    - Oh, the trial has ended already.

Aight then, another quick review, coming right up!
    First off, the prologue. It was pretty good from what I remember, but not especially memorable. The missing wait timers (when I started to play the trial, there were no wait timers at least, that may be different now though) take a lot out of the experience, which is a bit of a shame.

Second, characterisation. I personally really liked most of the characters, especially Hermes. I think Jenny and Claude are a bit annoying though. Jenny’s theme (although custom, which is a nice touch) only amplifies her eccentricity, which I normally like but now sorta rubs me the wrong way. I dunno, maybe it’s her laugh when she runs into Athena or Hermes.

Third, use of music. The music seemed pretty standard (with the exception of Jenny’s theme), and was mostly used fittingly, except in some places where a theme would play for a few frames for no apparent reason, then stop. The Turnabout Sisters theme and Ema’s theme also didn’t quite suit Hermes and Claude, respectively.

Fourth, the plot. The plot was pretty interesting (the Demigun was an interesting plot device, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a Demigun being used), but in some places it appeared rushed. I also couldn’t help but feel happy when Delore died, although I’m pretty sure the player wasn’t meant to be happy about that. There just wasn’t enough character development for the player to get attached to him. Athena’s reaction also seemed sort of unnatural, because she barely faltered more than two seconds when the crime occurred.
    What also seemed strange was that Andy ‘supposedly’ threw down half a gun and kept the other half, the Demigun. It doesn’t make any logical sense, and I really, really hope you have a good explanation for that.

Fifth, the custom sprites. I don’t think there’s much to say about them, as I’ve already told you I love them.

Last but certainly not least, theme relevance. Mm… I’m trying to remember instances in which it was apparent that the case took place in the future, but the only instance I can think of is Athena’s inner monologue, in which she stated that she was living in Olympus, a man-made… planet thingamajig? Other than that, it felt like any other AA game. It didn’t feel like it took place in the future at all, quite frankly. The murder methods don’t seem to have changed, either. The victim was murdered with a good ol’ gun after all. No surprises there. I’d say the theme relevance was meagre at best, but it was present at the very least. The whole Olympus thing could have used more depth.
  • Zodow Zark: Amateur Ace Attorney, by GuardianDreamer
    - Hmm. Well, the prologue is vague enough, although I think I can be sure the killer is male now. Or it could just be you screwing with my mind to make me think so. Yes, that must be it. Your prologue is clearly unrelated to the case and the killer is female!
    …Yeah, that makes no sense. Let’s just continue…
    - Should be ‘District Court’, not ‘District Courthouse’.
    - Pauses after commas. I remember when you told me you’d been implementing them, and that I said that no one really bothers with them, but they look nice in-game.
    - Marian… heh. Yet another Marian, I see.
    - She’s Ema in disguise. How can she NOT eat snacks at a time like this?
    - …Wow. He looks… uh… weird? Totally not what I expected, that’s for sure…
    - Huh, I’d almost forgotten that theme. Nice to hear it again.
    - They’re undoubtedly asleep. With their eyes open.
    - …Heh, the conversations that are triggered by presenting profiles are hilarious.
    - I wonder how many things ‘never happened’ in his book.
    - …Couch cults? wut is tis I dun even-
    - …Oh, he came up with that on the spot? Clever.
    - So that’s why Zodow has an attorney’s badge… cooperation, huh?
    - Hrm, sounds like an interesting woman.
    - A philosopher? Sounds like he would get along with Zodow just fine…
    - Hacking, computer company… I see the connection.
    - That gun… old-fashioned it is.
    - Hmm, I wonder when we’ll meet the defendant…?
    - Oh wait, epic fail. Zodow is the prosecutor… xD
    - Androids…? I’m interested. I want to hear more of this.
    - …Wow. They can do that stuff now?
    - Having mechanical body parts is cool in my book.
    - Machi? Sort of an ironic placeholder, because Machi is the total opposite of talkative… xD
    - Whoa. He’s… arrogant. I wonder why he asked who he was addressing if he didn’t want an answer. Come to think of it, he may be an incarnation of Clement. Yes, that makes perfect sense…
    - “I am blinded by your stupidity!”
    Omg epic Machi reference
    - Oh, he actually is blind. Too bad.
    - AngelicChoir95? DREAM View? Talk about a geek…
    - Cyber-kinetic replacements? Epicccccc
    - Angelic Choir’s Battlefield…? What are we even talking about…?!
    - Nah, I don’t want to stop him. I doubt he’d stop anyway.
    - RainbowButterflySong192?! xDD omg I’m dying over here
    - …He’s going to use his lost eyesight to get sympathy and more subscriptions?
    - The judge has a profile.
    Because profile-less judge is too mainstream.
    - I’m not ready, of course!
    - …Hm. A law stating that the trial cannot go into recess until a certain amount of time passes? Wut?
    - Arron Ruth?
    …With Miles Edgeworth’s sprites?
    - “But you're a rookie! It's almost a law that I have to give you a tutorial!”
    Omg I’m dying over here! xD
    - Stealth level: Marian.
    - He sure changed his mind fast.
    - Aha, a counter-cross-examination. Neat.
    - …”Why did you hurry?” That’s… uh… man, he’s dense.
    - Wearing gloves… hm… let’s check the court record.
    Ah, no fingerprints on the gun. That means he was wearing gloves when handling the gun, so why not when he was forcing the door open?
    - Wait, I’ll present the attorney’s badge first! Almost forgot!
    - Dammit, the attorney’s badge netted me a penalty.
    - Huh? Where’s the ‘Take That!’?
    - Lol, I love how Ruth keeps alluding to Zodow’s defeat. xD
    - Life bar’s still flashing…
    - “Don’t give them any ideas!”
    You know, Your Honor, you just gave me an idea.
    - It’s like Ruth is actually an extremely arrogant AA player that got sucked into the game itself.
    - “That's why I will press all of the statements until the number of statements has tripled!”
    Lol!!
    - Politic rivals? I’d make that ‘Political rivals’.
    - If they hate each other, they definitely love each other.
    Yup. Excellent shipping logic.
    - He’s bluffing. He obviously has no theories.
    - Uh-huh. Zodow’s defeat is clearly imminent.
    - Lyyyyyyyle
    - Evans? But I thought he was Hawke’s nephew…? I guess Evans is his father’s name then? Or maybe Hawke is Hawke’s husband’s name.
    - Yes, 16 qualifies as young.
    - Never seen someone so rude, huh? Ever try looking in the mirror, Ruth?
    - I’m… not sure how he could have known that the perp was Byron, if he couldn’t see him (after all, why would Byron have said anything?)
    - “I don't really like badgers. I prefer ferrets.”
    He… is… unworthy… of… Edgeworth’s… sprites…
    - …This Byron person is an idiot apparently. He blew his cover by whispering something when he didn’t need to!
    - Zodow clearly committed the crime! It was obvious all along!
    - Testimonies with 30 statements? Hmm, that rings a bell… but I can’t really remember.
    - What could he be objecting to? O_o
    - An apology? From him? Pinch me, I’m dreaming.
    - My keen senses tell me I can present the attorney’s badge soon.
    - *saves* You’re not making me lose more of my health this time!! D:<
    - Uh-huh. Something seems odd. Yup.
    - MY BADGE IS SHINIER THAN YOURS.
    PWN’D
    - Hey, I didn’t see the life bar go down… I guess my eyesight is deteriorating little by little…
    - You know you’re dense when the judge catches onto something before you do.
    - A-ha, cornered! You’re SCREWED, Ruth! >:D THE CORNERED THEME PROVES IT BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT!
    - …He can’t worm his way out of this. He’s prolly gonna present his attorney’s badge. Yup.
    - Uh… and this relates to the door question… how?
    - The law system makes no sense whatsoever. It’s true.
    - The defendant? Uh… okay…
    - Yeah, Ruth is human too… UNLESS HE’S SECRETLY AN ALIEN ANDROID THAT CAME TO EARTH TO DESTROY MANKIND BY SENTENCING THE INNOCENT TO DEATH!!
    IT ALL MAKES SENSE NAO
    …oh wait, Byron is probably guilty.
    - …I can’t believe I didn’t catch it when he said he ‘would’ comment, then did so anyway.
    - “Are you sure that isn't just the nostalgia filter blocking out all of the bad memories?”
    Seems legit.
    - Clearly, Mr. Evans was in no condition to spend any more time among us feeble-minded peons.
    - Oh hey, would you look at that. The bailiff wasn’t asleep.
    - Nothing like a snarky comment to lighten up the mood.
    - Lose-lose situations… sounds beneficial.
    - Huh. Lyle is being cooperative. Didn’t think he had it in him.
    - Ooh, an Ewyn reference? I think Ewyn talked to the thin air a few times…
    - …He just said that out loud? He’s weirder than I thought… xD
    - Hmm, defense’s co-council view instead of prosecution’s.
    - As expected, Byron is mentally challenged.
    - Bahaha, the placeholders are really fitting.
    - THIS WALK IS BETTER THAN REGULAR WALKS. IT HAD A PURPOSE I TELL YOU
    - It was gonna be cancelled? Hmm, maybe he killed her in a fit of anger?
    - Whoa, the Chrome bug didn’t act up for once. Neat.
    - Obviously filler.
    - Her show was so inferior to Byron’s that hers never got cancelled, while his did. Seems legit.
    - Obviously the part about ears for decoration, because it has no relevance to the case. It’s so obvious!
    - Honest Byron? Uh-huh. Well this is a case from the prosecution’s point of view, so he’s prolly guilty.
    - He said he doesn’t lie, so when he said he was the most famous person in the world, he must have been telling the truth. Seems legit. Clearly that first statement could not possibly have been a lie.
    - *Suspense plays for two seconds* *stops* Hmmmm.
    - Snackoos are the Ema equivalent of pop corn. Thou dost not need anything else.
    - “taken apart”? O_o I think you mean “separated”. xD
    - Far from over? Hmm… I dunno, I thought it was almost over.
    - She’s right though, the walkthrough claims it’s not nearly over, as well.
    - Hmm, guess that’s true.
    - BUT WE PROVED THAT HE LIED AT LEAST ONCE IN HIS LIFE
    - Ooh, I love this theme.
    …Wait, Lisa?
    - Evelyn… I like that name.
    - HMD = highly advanced eye patch?
    - I’m likin’ this witness.
    - She’s… one of his patients?
    - No, Zodow, she meant her pirate ship.
    - Awww, you party pooper, Zodow.
    - Ooooh! She’s a transhuman!
    - “But the ultimate goal of a trial is to find the truth.”
    ‘Atta boy, Zodow.
    - Oh noez, you totally wasted that chance to say ‘Cap’n’. D:
    - Aww, I want to believe this woman. She be a frickin’ pirate, me’hearty!
    - There would clearly be merit to it if I handled the cross-examination! I dunno what though, there just is.
    - Modern-day incarnation of Narcissus… *snrk*
    - …Wait, I just realized. I’m reading Evelyn’s dialogue with Applejack’s voice. xD
    - Oh man, Ruth’s ‘powers of non-persuasion’ are hilarious. xD
    - Yes, Ruth, we are trying to eliminate you. Didn’t you see that alien spaceship positioned above your head, laz0rz ready to fire away? Oh wait, I forgot. Derpity derp derp, we put an invisibility shield over it, of course you couldn’t see it. Never mind then.
    - “As compensation, I demand that you don't penalize me.”
    LOL, I didn’t even see that one coming! xD
    - But… why does Ruth get to have as large a lifebar as Canon?
    - “First of all, we can both agree that the court system makes no sense, right?”
    Eeyup.
    - …Ah. That makes sense… but wait, shouldn’t he himself have lost by now? He got, like, 10 penalties or something.
    …HE’S USING AR-CODES. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.
    - “There's some stupid law that makes it so that defense attorneys can take a lot of penalties.”
    Uh… hm…
    - They’re trying to make Not Guilty verdicts more common…? Is this about the truth or are they just trying to even it all out?
    - Talking with some”thing” you’re a big fan of, eh, Evelyn?
    - Hrm, somehow I don’t think Zodow would be afraid of the truth.
    - …He’s accusing Evelyn? What?
    - What do you mean, it would solve the mystery of the hacking device?
    - The Ruth never kids, Ms. Willow.
    - Oh hey, Zodow thought the same thing. I don’t see how it would solve that mystery either.
    - Illegal?
    …Weeeeeell, Evelyn IS a pirate…
    - Portable? And an attachment for transhumans isn’t portable? Wha-?
    - Huh, he’s just going to confess…?
    - Hmm… well, I guess that explains why you said the ending was sort of anticlimactic.
    - “As you now, I make many high-quality videos on the internet.”
    Oh noez, that should be ‘As you know’.
    - Wait, what?! The pirate thing was an act?!
    - Personality change…? AHA! SHE USED TO BE A PIRATE AFTER ALL!
    - Wait, didn’t she just say attachments for transhumans are illegal? Oh wait, maybe she just meant hacking attachments thingeys. Or perhaps she used her pirate skillz.
    - “As ready as I’ll ever be” seems to be this trial’s catchphrase.
    - Aaaaand that’s the end of it then.

Aaaaaaaaaight, review time~
    First off, the prologue. I should probably mention that I was sort of confused about the prologue at first, as at first sight it seemed to give away far too much. Because of it, I immediately assumed one male and one female would appear in the case. However… the identities of these individuals, even when I was halfway through, were extremely fuzzy. As far as I could see at the time, the only female was the victim, but the female in the prologue couldn’t possibly be the victim, as it seemed more like they were friends or even lovers. Looking back now though, it all makes sense. This was a conversation between Arthur Byron and Evelyn Willow. So even though it seemed to give away too much, it wasn’t until the very end that its true meaning became clear to me, so good job on that.

Second, characterisation. The cast is very diverse and refreshing. You used character quirks that hadn’t been used before as far as I know, which makes the cast very original in addition to being interesting to observe. The internet geek, Lyle, is a hilarious character and I really hope to hear of the result of his internet war sometime in the near future. Seriously. And I’d like to see more of Evelyn too. Speaking of Evelyn, the pirate speech was pulled off very well. (The only other trial I’ve seen that uses a sort-of pirate is TOG, and I daresay this might be a better pirate portrayal. Byron seemed a lot like Grey to me… although that just makes the placeholders even more fitting.

Third, the use of music. Seemed pretty standard to me, and aside from a few awkward transitions, the music was well-placed. I also love that fact that you used Valant’s theme. It may be my favourite character theme in AA, possibly on par with Lang’s theme.

Fourth, the plot. I thought the plot was rather interesting, myself. The crime was committed with an old-fashioned gun, sure, but the theme relevance shone through in this particular category. Heck, one of the witnesses was a frickin’ transhuman. She was half-android! But I’ll save that for the theme relevance bit. What I’m saying is, it seemed pretty futuristic. The hacking was an interesting plot device, and the recurring theme of transhumanity-related debates was rather fascinating. It seemed… believable. The only downside was, as noted before, that the ending was indeed rather anti-climactic. It sorta killed the suspense for me. Although, while anti-climactic, the ending was good in its own right. It provided the player with the final piece needed to complete the puzzle. Or so I thought. The final piece was revealed by Evelyn in the lobby scene, but what I’m saying is, it gives me that feeling of ‘I see…’ and for once, the perpetrator doesn’t have a petty motive. If he hadn’t actually killed her, I’d have believed his intentions were noble. The only other killer that got me to sympathise with him was Yanni Yogi.

Fifth, Lyle and Ruth. They need to appear in Summer novels. IMAGINE THE SHEER HILARITY.

And last but certainly not least, theme relevance. It was clearly present and had quite an impact on the story, as neither transhumans, nor attachments for said transhumans, have been seen in AA thus far. It also felt like time had left its mark on the trial system, especially because of the ‘extended’ penalty bar for defense attorneys (which, might I add, is totally unfair).
チラセ・マギタ
~Married to Evolina deLuna~ <3
~Loving father to ZetaAzuel~

Proud creator of Cynder Janice, Rex Gladiorum, and Raimpius in Endless Time.

Image Image
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

For the record, most of the technical stuff you've referred to has been fixed. There are also now custom (and fully-timed) images in the intro.

The sci-fi aspects will start getting played up a whole lot more in the 2nd investigation, and I was planning to get to there a lot quicker, but... well, yeah. The main thing I was running with for the case theme was the use of descendants. And some family history does come into it later. But yeah. Really should have gotten more done.
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

So when do you think that you'll be able to post a review of my trial n' stuff?

AND U NEVER FINISHED THE ENDING? > : <
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
Dypo deLina

Post by Dypo deLina »

ZetaAzuel wrote:So when do you think that you'll be able to post a review of my trial n' stuff?

What do you mean, I never finished the ending? I thought I said I hadn't explored the bad ending. :XD:

also it was way too easy, I barely needed the walkthrough and even knew who the killer was after the investigation. :P
チラセ・マギタ

Image Image
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

Dypo deLina wrote:
ZetaAzuel wrote:So when do you think that you'll be able to post a review of my trial n' stuff?

What do you mean, I never finished the ending? I thought I said I hadn't explored the bad ending. :XD:

also it was way too easy, I barely needed the walkthrough and even knew who the killer was after the investigation. :P
That's funny and disappointing at the same time... while it
Seems there are a lot of people who are stumped and have no
clue... you figured it out pretty quickly :calisto: Though I will admit it should be fairly obvious at one point who the killer is in part 3 if your paying attention to what's been said.
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
Dypo deLina

Post by Dypo deLina »

ZetaAzuel wrote:
Dypo deLina wrote:

That's funny and disappointing at the same time... while it
Seems there are a lot of people who are stumped and have no
clue... you figured it out pretty quickly :calisto: Though I will admit it should be fairly obvious at one point who the killer is in part 3 if your paying attention to what's been said.
...Oh. And, uh...

...You got the credits wrong. I made Jakub's sprites, not LP. :XD:
チラセ・マギタ

Image Image
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

I meant LP for Cherrisa Mango ^.^"
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
Dypo deLina

Post by Dypo deLina »

ZetaAzuel wrote:I meant LP for Cherrisa Mango ^.^"
Well, it still said credit to LP for Jakub's sprites. :P
チラセ・マギタ

Image Image
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

So, I decided that I should probably respond to Dypo's comments/review of my trial... and I'll do so now. In purple, naturally.
Dypo deLina wrote:A bit later than I expected due to (yet another) birthday party I had to attend yesterday, but here are the comments thus far (excluding Zeta's as I plan to replay his trial in order to explore the bad ending and experiment with presenting / examining a bit more.
  • Zodow Zark: Amateur Ace Attorney, by GuardianDreamer
    - Hmm. Well, the prologue is vague enough, although I think I can be sure the killer is male now. Or it could just be you screwing with my mind to make me think so. Yes, that must be it. Your prologue is clearly unrelated to the case and the killer is female!
    …Yeah, that makes no sense. Let’s just continue…
    I WOULD do that, wouldn't I?

- Should be ‘District Court’, not ‘District Courthouse’.
    Are you sure about that? I was looking DIRECTLY at the example of time and location stamps, and they say District Courthouse.

- Pauses after commas. I remember when you told me you’d been implementing them, and that I said that no one really bothers with them, but they look nice in-game.
    After I was told that, I stopped using them, but I only really stopped using them late in the case.

- Marian… heh. Yet another Marian, I see.
    I think I mentioned that Marian is one of my favorite names, right?

- She’s Ema in disguise. How can she NOT eat snacks at a time like this?
    Yes, Ema has somehow discovered a way to live for about 200 years! Curses, you figured out the case SO early. At least you don't know about the robot armies yet.

- …Wow. He looks… uh… weird? Totally not what I expected, that’s for sure…
    The thing about Zodow is that he's supposed to look different than his personality suggests, and with the appearance I have in mind, Sundae's sprites fit closest. However, the differences in how I picture him looking are so noticeable, that it actually looks less fitting... if that makes sense. Maybe I should have gone with flipped!Apollo. He looks different from how Zodow is supposed to look like, but at least his sprites somewhat fit his personality.

- Huh, I’d almost forgotten that theme. Nice to hear it again.
    I just randomly chose it after listening to some of the music, and thought it was fitting.

- They’re undoubtedly asleep. With their eyes open.
    And standing up. Yep.

- …Heh, the conversations that are triggered by presenting profiles are hilarious.
    I had fun writing those.

- I wonder how many things ‘never happened’ in his book.
    This comment never happened.

- …Couch cults? wut is tis I dun even-
    You know you want to join. Cultcultcultcultcultcultcultcult!

- …Oh, he came up with that on the spot? Clever.
    I also came up with that on the spot. Even while writing that examine conversation, I wasn't sure where I was going with it. Luckily, cults solve everything!

- So that’s why Zodow has an attorney’s badge… cooperation, huh?
    I actually like this explanation for it.

- Hrm, sounds like an interesting woman.
    She's also dead. Dead people are so interesting, because they can't hide their secrets. But you can't blackmail them either, so it's kind of pointless.

- A philosopher? Sounds like he would get along with Zodow just fine…
    ... Kind of.

- Hacking, computer company… I see the connection.
    Yes, obviously the computer company was responsible! This is a suicide! Trial over, let's go home- oh, hold on a moment.

- That gun… old-fashioned it is.
    It killed the victim with its oldness.

- Hmm, I wonder when we’ll meet the defendant…?
    You'll meet him when you see him.

- Oh wait, epic fail. Zodow is the prosecutor… xD
    That doesn't mean you won't meet the defendant.

- Androids…? I’m interested. I want to hear more of this.
    Mwahahahahaha, NEVER.

- …Wow. They can do that stuff now?
    Do what stuff?

- Having mechanical body parts is cool in my book.
    It is in mine as well.

- Machi? Sort of an ironic placeholder, because Machi is the total opposite of talkative… xD
    Well, I kind of HAD to use Machi.

- Whoa. He’s… arrogant. I wonder why he asked who he was addressing if he didn’t want an answer. Come to think of it, he may be an incarnation of Clement. Yes, that makes perfect sense…
    I didn't have Clement in mind while writing Lyle. They actually have several personality differences, but I guess I can see why you'd think they're similar.

- “I am blinded by your stupidity!”
    Omg epic Machi reference
    Nope. Not a references.

- Oh, he actually is blind. Too bad.
    The reference never happen.

- AngelicChoir95? DREAM View? Talk about a geek…
    You know you love it.

- Cyber-kinetic replacements? Epicccccc
    OR ARE THEY!?

- Angelic Choir’s Battlefield…? What are we even talking about…?!
    The best series ever, obviously.

- Nah, I don’t want to stop him. I doubt he’d stop anyway.
    Actually, you can. I gave the player the option (a few times even) to tell him to stop, just in case they found Lyle annoying. Doesn't change much though. Just skips his long speech.

- RainbowButterflySong192?! xDD omg I’m dying over here
    I randomly made that up on the spot. Random combining of words, huzzah.

Well, I could TELL you, but then I would have to NOT kill you, so sure!

- …He’s going to use his lost eyesight to get sympathy and more subscriptions?
    Because why not?

- The judge has a profile.
    Because profile-less judge is too mainstream.
    I don't see why he shouldn't have one. The profiles are meant to give brief descriptions about characters, or to be used as evidence. The judge is a character, so I think he should have a profile.

- I’m not ready, of course!
    Always the right option.

- …Hm. A law stating that the trial cannot go into recess until a certain amount of time passes? Wut?
    Totally not an excuse for me to continue the trial.

- Arron Ruth?
    …With Miles Edgeworth’s sprites?
    Arron's the only character in this case whose name actually has a meaning. Several meanings, in fact.

- “But you're a rookie! It's almost a law that I have to give you a tutorial!”
    Omg I’m dying over here! xD
    Lampshade hanging!

- Stealth level: Marian.
    Now she just needs a cardboard box.

- He sure changed his mind fast.
    Well, it is quicker this way.

- Aha, a counter-cross-examination. Neat.
    I had to read up on how to do CCE's. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to learn.

- …”Why did you hurry?” That’s… uh… man, he’s dense.
    I never made it clear in this case, but Arron is actually smart in a way. What I mean is, he's excellent in all sort of subjects, and I imagine he'd get perfect test scores and everything. He just has absolutely no common sense.

- Wearing gloves… hm… let’s check the court record.
    Ah, no fingerprints on the gun. That means he was wearing gloves when handling the gun, so why not when he was forcing the door open?
    Maybe he had magical hands or something.

- Wait, I’ll present the attorney’s badge first! Almost forgot!
    Being able to present the Badge is the best feature of this case.

- Dammit, the attorney’s badge netted me a penalty.
    Did you really expect anything different? I mean, you're making Zodow randomly present his badge.

- Huh? Where’s the ‘Take That!’?
    I think I realize what the problem is now. It SHOULD be fine now. SHOULD.

- Lol, I love how Ruth keeps alluding to Zodow’s defeat. xD
    He studied at Redundancy College, after all.

- Life bar’s still flashing…
    This is related to the "Take That" problem. Hopefully it's fixed now.

- “Don’t give them any ideas!”
    You know, Your Honor, you just gave me an idea.
    Is it a GOOD idea?

- It’s like Ruth is actually an extremely arrogant AA player that got sucked into the game itself.
    Then why doesn't he just get out a walkthrough?

- “That's why I will press all of the statements until the number of statements has tripled!”
    Lol!!
    Perfect strategy right there.

- Politic rivals? I’d make that ‘Political rivals’.
    I already fixed this problem, but you must have had a save where it wasn't fixed.

- If they hate each other, they definitely love each other.
    Yup. Excellent shipping logic.
    Slap Slap Kiss?

- He’s bluffing. He obviously has no theories.
    Of course he has theories! Now, whether they're GOOD theories is a different question.

- Uh-huh. Zodow’s defeat is clearly imminent.
    No doubt.

- Lyyyyyyyle
    Hi Lyle, how goes the plan to wage an internet war?

- Evans? But I thought he was Hawke’s nephew…? I guess Evans is his father’s name then? Or maybe Hawke is Hawke’s husband’s name.
    Your former guess is correct.

- Yes, 16 qualifies as young.
    Or does it?

- Never seen someone so rude, huh? Ever try looking in the mirror, Ruth?
    Zodow pointed that out himself.

- I’m… not sure how he could have known that the perp was Byron, if he couldn’t see him (after all, why would Byron have said anything?)
    You found out why later.

- “I don't really like badgers. I prefer ferrets.”
    He… is… unworthy… of… Edgeworth’s… sprites…
    I just love how apparently THIS is the final straw for you.

- …This Byron person is an idiot apparently. He blew his cover by whispering something when he didn’t need to!
    The expanded ending makes it a bit clearer as to why he did so. Just a bit.

- Zodow clearly committed the crime! It was obvious all along!
    How do you do it, Sherlock Tarch!?

- Testimonies with 30 statements? Hmm, that rings a bell… but I can’t really remember.
    It's a reference to Rei's testimony in Turnabout Split.

- What could he be objecting to? O_o
    He's objecting to your emoticon.

- An apology? From him? Pinch me, I’m dreaming.
    Here, I'll do even better. *Shoots Dypo and then pinches him*

- My keen senses tell me I can present the attorney’s badge soon.
    Your Tarchy senses are tingling?

- *saves* You’re not making me lose more of my health this time!! D:<
    Curses, foiled again.

- Uh-huh. Something seems odd. Yup.
    Or is this perfectly normal?

- MY BADGE IS SHINIER THAN YOURS.
    PWN’D
    That is some airtight logic right there.

- Hey, I didn’t see the life bar go down… I guess my eyesight is deteriorating little by little…
    You just need to grow more eyes.

- You know you’re dense when the judge catches onto something before you do.
    To be fair, my portrayal of the judge is slightly smarter than the judge in AA games.

- A-ha, cornered! You’re SCREWED, Ruth! >:D THE CORNERED THEME PROVES IT BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT!
    Musical spoilers, yay!

- …He can’t worm his way out of this. He’s prolly gonna present his attorney’s badge. Yup.
    Nah. Arron has no common sense, but he wouldn't do that.

- Uh… and this relates to the door question… how?
    He's kind of dropping that line of thinking and trying another tactic.

- The law system makes no sense whatsoever. It’s true.
    It might not be clear, but I tried to make any changes to the law system make some sense. Even if I wouldn't necessarily defend them, I could at least justify them, especially with the backstory that I may or may not reveal at a later date.

- The defendant? Uh… okay…
    I bet he'll be cute and lovable and huggable.

- Yeah, Ruth is human too… UNLESS HE’S SECRETLY AN ALIEN ANDROID THAT CAME TO EARTH TO DESTROY MANKIND BY SENTENCING THE INNOCENT TO DEATH!!
    IT ALL MAKES SENSE NAO
    …oh wait, Byron is probably guilty.
    Eheh... yes... certainly. (Phew. That was a close one.)

- …I can’t believe I didn’t catch it when he said he ‘would’ comment, then did so anyway.
    I'm kind of confused by what you mean by this.

- “Are you sure that isn't just the nostalgia filter blocking out all of the bad memories?”
    Seems legit.
    TV Tropes references, huzzah.

- Clearly, Mr. Evans was in no condition to spend any more time among us feeble-minded peons.
    He's busy arming his forces for the inevitable war.

- Oh hey, would you look at that. The bailiff wasn’t asleep.
    Nah, he totally is asleep. He just managed to master the art of holding regular conversations while standing and being asleep.

- Nothing like a snarky comment to lighten up the mood.
    It's a requirement for main characters to be at least a bit snarky.

- Lose-lose situations… sounds beneficial.
    It's alright, you have the walkthrough with you.

- Huh. Lyle is being cooperative. Didn’t think he had it in him.
    Lyle has some hidden depths, you know. ... Keeping that in mind, I guess I can see why you compared him to Clement earlier.

- Ooh, an Ewyn reference? I think Ewyn talked to the thin air a few times…
    He did, but it isn't a reference to him. Talking to the thin air is just a joke that I occasionally use. It isn't referencing anyone in particular.

- …He just said that out loud? He’s weirder than I thought… xD
    Zodow is somewhat weird, this is true. Still one of my more sane characters. I think it sets him apart from most main characters though.

- Hmm, defense’s co-council view instead of prosecution’s.
    If you know where I can find the prosecution co-council background, I'd be all ears. Err... eyes.

- As expected, Byron is mentally challenged.
    Maybe that's just what he wants you to think.

- Bahaha, the placeholders are really fitting.
    Indeed.

- THIS WALK IS BETTER THAN REGULAR WALKS. IT HAD A PURPOSE I TELL YOU
    THIS WALK IS SO GREAT, THAT YOU MUST USE CAPS.

- It was gonna be cancelled? Hmm, maybe he killed her in a fit of anger?
    Nope.

- Whoa, the Chrome bug didn’t act up for once. Neat.
    Which one?

- Obviously filler.
    It's filler that's needed.

- Her show was so inferior to Byron’s that hers never got cancelled, while his did. Seems legit.
    Well, there ARE some shows that get cancelled while still being high-quality, and some shows that continue forever despite getting stale.

- Obviously the part about ears for decoration, because it has no relevance to the case. It’s so obvious!
    Ace deduction right there.

- Honest Byron? Uh-huh. Well this is a case from the prosecution’s point of view, so he’s prolly guilty.
    You dare doubt Honest Byron?

- He said he doesn’t lie, so when he said he was the most famous person in the world, he must have been telling the truth. Seems legit. Clearly that first statement could not possibly have been a lie.
    That's the joke.

- *Suspense plays for two seconds* *stops* Hmmmm.
    I thought players would stop and check the evidence for a while, so Suspense would play more. In hindsight though, a player who presented the right evidence by then definitely would have known what page it was.

- Snackoos are the Ema equivalent of pop corn. Thou dost not need anything else.
    I bet in the future, they serve Snackoos in movie theaters instead of pop corn.

- “taken apart”? O_o I think you mean “separated”. xD
    I thought "separated" sounded a bit weird, but in hindsight, I guess it works better. Fixed.

- Far from over? Hmm… I dunno, I thought it was almost over.
    Nah, this would be nowhere near the total frame count.

- She’s right though, the walkthrough claims it’s not nearly over, as well.
    As well as the frame count.

- Hmm, guess that’s true.
    Arron is right for once.

- BUT WE PROVED THAT HE LIED AT LEAST ONCE IN HIS LIFE
    HE LIED ONCE IN HIS LIFE! OBVIOUSLY HE HATES JUSTICE AND DESERVES THE DEATH PENALTY!

- Ooh, I love this theme.
    …Wait, Lisa?
    Nah, that's Nu the Space Pirate.

- Evelyn… I like that name.
    It is a nice name.

- HMD = highly advanced eye patch?
    Well, she is a pirate, kinda.

- I’m likin’ this witness.
    Too bad you'll have to cross-examine her later.

- She’s… one of his patients?
    Yep.

- No, Zodow, she meant her pirate ship.
    Yes, Evelyn has her own pirate ship, where she goes looting other ships. Because the future totally has space pirates, yes.

- Awww, you party pooper, Zodow.
    Your disappointment is amusing.

- Ooooh! She’s a transhuman!
    Huzzah.

- “But the ultimate goal of a trial is to find the truth.”
    ‘Atta boy, Zodow.
    Inspirational mini-speech go!

- Oh noez, you totally wasted that chance to say ‘Cap’n’. D:
    Remember how at the end of the case, Evelyn mentions that she slipped up on her pirate accent a few times? Yeah. This is one of the things she meant.

- Aww, I want to believe this woman. She be a frickin’ pirate, me’hearty!
    Pirates have a reputation for being honest? This is news to me.

- There would clearly be merit to it if I handled the cross-examination! I dunno what though, there just is.
    That's clearly the best explanation.

- Modern-day incarnation of Narcissus… *snrk*
    Makes one wonder if they're related.

- …Wait, I just realized. I’m reading Evelyn’s dialogue with Applejack’s voice. xD
    Why would you get a cowgirl to voice a space pirate?

- Oh man, Ruth’s ‘powers of non-persuasion’ are hilarious. xD
    I bet Ruth has trained them from day 1!

- Yes, Ruth, we are trying to eliminate you. Didn’t you see that alien spaceship positioned above your head, laz0rz ready to fire away? Oh wait, I forgot. Derpity derp derp, we put an invisibility shield over it, of course you couldn’t see it. Never mind then.
    Now you're just making him paranoid.

- “As compensation, I demand that you don't penalize me.”
    LOL, I didn’t even see that one coming! xD
    Ruth stealth attack!

- But… why does Ruth get to have as large a lifebar as Canon?
    Take a look at Arron's initials sometime. It's one of the four meanings in his name.

- “First of all, we can both agree that the court system makes no sense, right?”
    Eeyup.
    Still makes more sense than some court systems.

- …Ah. That makes sense… but wait, shouldn’t he himself have lost by now? He got, like, 10 penalties or something.
    …HE’S USING AR-CODES. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.
    Again. Look at his initials. I'm surprised no one has gotten that meaning yet... the other three are more obscure, but this one is more clear.

- “There's some stupid law that makes it so that defense attorneys can take a lot of penalties.”
    Uh… hm…
    They're just trying to make things harder for prosecutors, clearly.

- They’re trying to make Not Guilty verdicts more common…? Is this about the truth or are they just trying to even it all out?
    I left it ambiguous for a reason.

- Talking with some”thing” you’re a big fan of, eh, Evelyn?
    I don't know what this means.

- Hrm, somehow I don’t think Zodow would be afraid of the truth.
    But maybe he'd be afraid of the Ruth?

- …He’s accusing Evelyn? What?
    Not much else he can do at this point.

- What do you mean, it would solve the mystery of the hacking device?
    Just wait for the testimony.

- The Ruth never kids, Ms. Willow.
    Of course he never kids!

- Oh hey, Zodow thought the same thing. I don’t see how it would solve that mystery either.
    But it does.

- Illegal?
    …Weeeeeell, Evelyn IS a pirate…
    So doing illegal things is totally legal if you're a pirate?

- Portable? And an attachment for transhumans isn’t portable? Wha-?
    Maybe I should have made this more clear. An attachment for transhumans needs to be surgically inserted (I get the feeling that isn't the right term, but hopefully you understand what I mean), and it would take more surgery to remove. So in other words, it becomes part of their body. Not what I'd call portable.

- Huh, he’s just going to confess…?
    It's better in the updated ending.

- Hmm… well, I guess that explains why you said the ending was sort of anticlimactic.
    My exact words were "the most anti-climactic thing I've ever written, ever".

- “As you now, I make many high-quality videos on the internet.”
    Oh noez, that should be ‘As you know’.
    Fixed, thank you.

- Wait, what?! The pirate thing was an act?!
    I know your heart is broken and you feel like crying, but you must soldier on.

- Personality change…? AHA! SHE USED TO BE A PIRATE AFTER ALL!
    ...... I find this hilarious for reasons that you don't know.

- Wait, didn’t she just say attachments for transhumans are illegal? Oh wait, maybe she just meant hacking attachments thingeys. Or perhaps she used her pirate skillz.
    Hacking attachments are illegal. There are plenty of attachments that are perfectly legal.

- “As ready as I’ll ever be” seems to be this trial’s catchphrase.
    But it's only used five times. Four times by Zodow, and once by Evelyn. I didn't even notice.

- Aaaaand that’s the end of it then.
    Yay.

Aaaaaaaaaight, review time~
    Reviews! Be merry.
    First off, the prologue. I should probably mention that I was sort of confused about the prologue at first, as at first sight it seemed to give away far too much. Because of it, I immediately assumed one male and one female would appear in the case. However… the identities of these individuals, even when I was halfway through, were extremely fuzzy. As far as I could see at the time, the only female was the victim, but the female in the prologue couldn’t possibly be the victim, as it seemed more like they were friends or even lovers. Looking back now though, it all makes sense. This was a conversation between Arthur Byron and Evelyn Willow. So even though it seemed to give away too much, it wasn’t until the very end that its true meaning became clear to me, so good job on that.
    ... A male and female showing up would be a spoiler? That would only be the case is the cast was all-male with one exception, or all-female with one exception. Also, Marian is female, but you can't really count her as a suspect. And honestly, I was going to replace the prologue later, but I decided to keep it... mostly because I thought I'd screw up if I tried something longer.

Second, characterisation. The cast is very diverse and refreshing. You used character quirks that hadn’t been used before as far as I know, which makes the cast very original in addition to being interesting to observe. The internet geek, Lyle, is a hilarious character and I really hope to hear of the result of his internet war sometime in the near future. Seriously. And I’d like to see more of Evelyn too. Speaking of Evelyn, the pirate speech was pulled off very well. (The only other trial I’ve seen that uses a sort-of pirate is TOG, and I daresay this might be a better pirate portrayal. Byron seemed a lot like Grey to me… although that just makes the placeholders even more fitting.
    Again, huh? Maybe if I ever do a sequel. That's a distant possibility though.

Third, the use of music. Seemed pretty standard to me, and aside from a few awkward transitions, the music was well-placed. I also love that fact that you used Valant’s theme. It may be my favourite character theme in AA, possibly on par with Lang’s theme.
    I wasn't even aware that I used Valant's theme... huzzah?

Fourth, the plot. I thought the plot was rather interesting, myself. The crime was committed with an old-fashioned gun, sure, but the theme relevance shone through in this particular category. Heck, one of the witnesses was a frickin’ transhuman. She was half-android! But I’ll save that for the theme relevance bit. What I’m saying is, it seemed pretty futuristic. The hacking was an interesting plot device, and the recurring theme of transhumanity-related debates was rather fascinating. It seemed… believable. The only downside was, as noted before, that the ending was indeed rather anti-climactic. It sorta killed the suspense for me. Although, while anti-climactic, the ending was good in its own right. It provided the player with the final piece needed to complete the puzzle. Or so I thought. The final piece was revealed by Evelyn in the lobby scene, but what I’m saying is, it gives me that feeling of ‘I see…’ and for once, the perpetrator doesn’t have a petty motive. If he hadn’t actually killed her, I’d have believed his intentions were noble. The only other killer that got me to sympathise with him was Yanni Yogi.
    I still think that the updated ending is much better. And oddly enough, quite a few people said that it wasn't futuristic enough... hm.

Fifth, Lyle and Ruth. They need to appear in Summer novels. IMAGINE THE SHEER HILARITY.
    Unfortunately, this is impossible, considering that they live after Summer's time.

And last but certainly not least, theme relevance. It was clearly present and had quite an impact on the story, as neither transhumans, nor attachments for said transhumans, have been seen in AA thus far. It also felt like time had left its mark on the trial system, especially because of the ‘extended’ penalty bar for defense attorneys (which, might I add, is totally unfair).
    I don't really remember how many penalties Arron actually took... but I'm pretty sure it isn't as many as everyone seems to think. Anyway, thanks for the review and comments.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Wolf Speaker
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by Wolf Speaker »

Another meaning for Arron's name would be Arrogant and Ruthless, right?
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

Because I've become increasingly lazy and busy (yes you can be both at the same time) I'm not going to edit my last post with the comments. Instead, I'm going to write them here. For half of the reviews I will just compare my thoughts to Dypo's, and for the others I will write my own reviews.

Also, I'm not posting my commentary because there's barely anything in them and it doesn't have any of my opinions in them, just stupid little jokes that aren't funny. K, leech time goooooo.
  • The Queen's Turnabout, by Gumpei and BBblader
    First off, the Prologue, although it’s sort of unnecessary as I spent quite a bit of time on that while commenting. Still, for the sake of simplicity, let’s c/p it here.

That… that was the single, most gargantuan, awesomely epicallicious (that totally is a word) Prologue (yes, it deserves an uppercase letter) I’ve ever laid my eyes on. The music synched perfectly, the images were fitting, and the text that went with it was very fascinating… the fact that it’s apparently partly based on Romeo and Juliet is also quite intriguing… I tried to go back to this tab to write something about the Prologue prior to its end, believe me, but I knew that the music would go on and part of the experience would be ruined by non-synched music, and I didn’t want that. You know a prologue is epic when something like that goes through your head while watching it; this is truly what a prologue should be like.
    Heh, indeed. The Prologue was very epic. The music and the beautiful backgrounds really was what brought out the charm of it. The dialogue was nice too of course, but I don’t think it’s anything new from any other prologue. But hey, I at least remember this prologue, and I typically forget prologues after I get invested into the trial, so nice work on that. Still, epicallicious. =P

Second, characterisation. Every single character felt refreshing and original, and each was as fascinating as the next. You also captured the villain-y vibe Vance was supposed to give extremely well, and you gave each of the characters their own, unique twists and quirks, bordering on insanity. But you know I love that, so well done.
    Yes, well, they FELT original, but of course they weren’t. xD Still, I think you two added your own little style (with a dash of AA style) to these characters, and it worked nicely. And of course they were evil. They were the two evilest AA characters ever! *shot* Again, agree with you there Dypo.
    Also, Wendy Oldbag. Winning.

Third, the SMEXY MUSIC. I won’t waste much time on this, as the choice of music was just brilliant. However, the suspense theme was a little too loud for my tastes, so lowering the volume might be in order. Aside from that though, it’s the pure definition of smexy.
    Well, with MY crap headphones, a little loud volume is always appreciated. xD But yes, all the music was very nice. When it walked down the street I had to stop and stare at it. It was that smexy.

Fourth, the plot. It was a tangled mess of information that all tied into each other elegantly, and each time a potential explanation came up it made sense. The underlying events and the pacing were brilliant, and the plot devices were just great. I love how things weren’t resolved shortly after a question emerged, and how I always got this ‘Aha! Now it all makes sense!’ moment when it was resolved. There’s also plenty of material to speculate and form theories, but I’ll get back on that later, when I’m done judging the other trials.
    I agree to all of this except for the pacing. In my opinion we were fed too much information for an investigation. There were about one or two pointless scenes (that isn’t counting Martin Summers. :P) and there wasn’t a lot left in the open by the end of the investigation (not saying there weren’t some things). But y’know, I think this is just me trying to desperately find problems. I still loved the plot, but the investigation just went too slow for my tastes.

Fifth, the Martin Summer novels. Damn hilarious. You have no idea how much I laughed at those, and I’d like to keep it that way or you might drastically change your opinion of me. How you interpret that is up to you. ;P
    Meh, I’ll be honest, I didn’t find them as funny as the Inferno ones. But then again I don’t find many things funny. :P

Last but certainly not least, theme relevance. From what I could tell, the fact that it took place in a medieval era really affected the case, e.g. the accuracy of the tests and the murder weapon (I mean, it’s a sword. How cool is that?!)
    The Elven Preliminary thing probably won’t have much of an effect on the gameplay in court, but it at least made it FEEL like the medieval theme matters, and that’s what counts as far as I’m concerned. Good job on that.
    No quarrels with this, I agree with all of it.

Honestly, the only thing I didn’t like about the trial was the epic crudeness of some edits, but as there were time constraints I won’t blame you for that (and the epic crudeness made it funny anyway). Oh, and the use of profanity prolly wasn’t very wise, although it was usually warranted and gave the trial a bit of a darker feel (which completely vanished whenever Echidna appeared).
    Well, when you’re making a trial based on QUEEN’S BLADE, blaming it for using profanity is like blaming a lawyer for having a badge. ;P I didn’t notice any crude edits (or maybe I’ve just forgotten them).

Overall, I enjoyed it, although that’s a bit of an understatement.
    QFT.

…Honestly, if you don’t finish this, I’ll personally track you down and force you to do it. I’m serious.
    More QFT.
[*]The Descended Turnabout, by Lind
First off, the prologue. It was pretty good from what I remember, but not especially memorable. The missing wait timers (when I started to play the trial, there were no wait timers at least, that may be different now though) take a lot out of the experience, which is a bit of a shame.
True, not very memorable. I went to see it again before I commented on this. But I didn’t notice any missing wait timers. So either he fixed it and I forgot about the error or...WUTEVER. The art, though, is truly fantastic. It feels like something straight out of an AA game, and it looks great.

Second, characterisation. I personally really liked most of the characters, especially Hermes. I think Jenny and Claude are a bit annoying though. Jenny’s theme (although custom, which is a nice touch) only amplifies her eccentricity, which I normally like but now sorta rubs me the wrong way. I dunno, maybe it’s her laugh when she runs into Athena or Hermes.
Dypo shut up Jenny was awesome you know nothing nobody knows anything about characters Airi is great GD what are you even talking about what is going on here—Oh, sorry, that got a little too close to home. While some of the characters might be a bit generic, I still liked them. I didn’t find any of them annoying. They were all great.

Third, use of music. The music seemed pretty standard (with the exception of Jenny’s theme), and was mostly used fittingly, except in some places where a theme would play for a few frames for no apparent reason, then stop. The Turnabout Sisters theme and Ema’s theme also didn’t quite suit Hermes and Claude, respectively.
No arguments here.

Fourth, the plot. The plot was pretty interesting (the Demigun was an interesting plot device, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a Demigun being used), but in some places it appeared rushed. I also couldn’t help but feel happy when Delore died, although I’m pretty sure the player wasn’t meant to be happy about that. There just wasn’t enough character development for the player to get attached to him. Athena’s reaction also seemed sort of unnatural, because she barely faltered more than two seconds when the crime occurred.
What also seemed strange was that Andy ‘supposedly’ threw down half a gun and kept the other half, the Demigun. It doesn’t make any logical sense, and I really, really hope you have a good explanation for that.
Yes, a Demigun is totally an original thing. And I totally knew what that was. Totally. Seriously though, I liked the plot too…what there WAS of it anything. I’ve mentioned this on Xat before, but I’ll say it again: there was barely ANYTHING of actual substance in this trial. I mean, all we know is that the guy got shot with a half-broken Demigun, and then…there’s a rock and a gradebook. Um…yay? I realize you were pressed for time, but I think should be a lesson to you that art and background are all very nice, but sacrificing time on it that could be going to working on plot is a bad idea. You should find a good balance. As for the whole Delore thing, I think it’s kinda harsh to judge him on having him being an underdeveloped character that we didn’t feel anything about when he died. I mean, isn’t that, y’know, the case with ALL of the AA victims? Yeah, I felt no real emotions when he died, but I don’t think you were supposed to.
Also, yeah, I never thought about that! Why would you leave behind evidence AND hold it on your person?! It’s like you’re begging to get caught! Maybe that was the point? Not sure…Like Dypo said, hope you got an explination.

Fifth, the custom sprites. I don’t think there’s much to say about them, as I’ve already told you I love them.
The sprites might be a little clunky, but they were still very impressive. I loved them too.

Last but certainly not least, theme relevance. Mm… I’m trying to remember instances in which it was apparent that the case took place in the future, but the only instance I can think of is Athena’s inner monologue, in which she stated that she was living in Olympus, a man-made… planet thingamajig? Other than that, it felt like any other AA game. It didn’t feel like it took place in the future at all, quite frankly. The murder methods don’t seem to have changed, either. The victim was murdered with a good ol’ gun after all. No surprises there. I’d say the theme relevance was meagre at best, but it was present at the very least. The whole Olympus thing could have used more depth.
Totally agree with this. I mean, all this was basically just the Ace Attorney equivalent to Skyloft. I could just as much believe this took place on Earth. Nothing struck me as ‘futuristic.’ The whole Olympus thing was just a moot point, and had nothing to do with anything. ‘Oh hey, we’re on a island in space, but for some reason the sky is still blue…and there is a sky in space. Yeeeaaahh…'

So overall, this investigation could’ve been good, but there’s nothing much there for me to grade. I know that sounds ironic coming from me, but that’s how I feel. Plus, sorry to say this so bluntly, but the theme relevance was terrible.

Also, as for the dialogue, I liked it. I ignored the little blemishes in the text that were here and there.
And now are reviews I actually wrote:

Zodow Zark: Amateur Ace Attorney, by GuardianDreamer
This is definitely a good first case. A FIRST case at least.

First I’ll talk about the story. It was a tad simple, but it still managed to grab my attention and it was interesting enough for me to keep going, but I feel as though it could’ve gone a lot farther than it did. Many things were left unclear. What was Lyle’s next testimony going to be? What ever happened to the hacking device? I know that the job of the prosecutor isn’t to find the whole truth, but just enough truth to get the defendant guilty, but things like that should be cleared up. The discovery of the hacking device could have been used for a twist, but the possibility wasn’t used properly. Also, I liked Evelyn, but her character was nothing but a dues ex machina. And why wouldn’t Arthur mention her in his testimony? Wouldn’t that make for a good alibi? An eye witness? Well, I guess that part is just a nitpick, but yeah, Evelyn just came out of complete nowhere.

I really liked the dialogue. It was probably the highlight of the trial. There were some very funny moments, and I liked all of the characters. The only thing I DIDN’T like was that the dialogue tended to digress at a few points. Like times when I pointed out a contradiction, it would take Zodow WAAAAAY too long to just spit it out. I realize if he wants to rub it in, but that can be done without being completely tedious. The dialogue would sometimes go into such long and pointless banter that I was praying that someone would finally advance the plot.

As for the difficulty, it was alright I suppose. Most if not all contradictions were obvious. The only time I found myself getting penalties was during Counter Cross-Examinations (and badge convos ofc).

Theme conveyance was…eh. Don’t get me wrong, it was futuristic enough. The androids were a nice touch. It just didn’t really FEEL like anything was different. Court felt completely the same as ever. There were hints of new laws that had been passed in the past decades, but other than that there wasn’t anything futuristic. Maybe I’m expecting too much change to happen to court in a century?

This case had potential, but sadly didn’t execute it. (Note: This was poorly worded (or just misinterpreted). Guardian thought I meant that this case was a lost cause and couldn't utilize its potential even by improving it, which is completely false.)I still enjoyed it either way.
[/list]

Jakub Opieed AA: A Turnabout Through Time, by ZetaAzuel and Wooper
So, the prologue. Yeah, I remember this confused the hell of Dypo. I have no idea why though. xD Personally, I found the prologue to be a bit generic. Though it was nice that it foreshadowed a future event, as a prologue itself it just fell flat.

Characterization. I really liked the characters, and they all a lot of fun. Jakub constantly struggling to try and be a gentlemen, Fran pulling the child genius card, the always ditzy detective, the prosecutor oozing dangerous amounts of swag, the family of ventriloquists, the list goes on and on. I don’t think I have any characters I don’t like. Maybe some were decent at best, but I didn’t dislike any.

The music was very nice. It’s been a while and I don’t exactly remember most of it…but from what I remember it fit pretty well. SO YEAH, uh, that’s it…that’s part three—

PART 4. THE DIALOUGE. Holy crap this dialogue. This dialogue is…well, here is someone who can say it better than me. Based on the amount of time you were given, and based on how much you were able to get done, it should NOT have been a issue to have this many mistakes on a trial. So yes, the dialogue bugged me. Even if the lines were sometimes funny.

Now for the plot. I gotta say, you presented us with a very nice mystery. But, you HAD to resort to using…the locked door gimmick. It’s bad enough when it’s just on one side, but TWO SIDES?! My mind just becomes full of wut. What we get as a result is a mess of insane theories and pointless routes that lead us straight to a dead end. OK, so maybe that’s the POINT of a mystery, and maybe I’m just being an idiot. But I’m just saying that sometimes all the information can come collapsing down into a big mess at a few points. Also, I didn’t find this to be a flaw of the trial, but something that I found kinda odd: Why did you prioritize the bad ending over the good ending? I’d understand if it was short little path, but it was very long. If anything you should’ve focused on the actual, canonical ending before going to the fake one. But like I said, it’s nothing I hated. It just struck me as odd.

Anyway, theme conveyance. This was actually handled very well. Nice work sending much farther into the future. It added a new and interesting environment that added new twists not found in most AA cases, which is what I really was looking for. It felt futuristic and all the future stuff worked great. But still…going UP a teleporter?! I mean seriously…A BAT CREDIT CARD?!?!?!

So yeah. A great trial, but just too many big mistakes that are hard to overlook.
---

So there are all my comments. I’ll leave this open for a little while longer, or as long as Meph wants it open, in case people want to reply. But I’m not gonna keep it open long, so if you’ve got something to say make it snappy.

I am tired and cranky and now I am going to bed so good night to you sirs
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

Meph

Post by Meph »

Well well done for getting it all done. :P
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

For the record, the idea was that he was attempting to hide the two pieces in two separate locations, possibly because they wouldn't all fit in one. Didn't quite think to fully explain that one. I'll make sure it comes up in court.
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

Yay now I know why I got 2nd place : D time to reply.

So, the prologue. Yeah, I remember this confused the hell of Dypo. I have no idea why though. xD Personally, I found the prologue to be a bit generic. Though it was nice that it foreshadowed a future event, as a prologue itself it just fell flat.
Well I can't argue with that. If I could make some a few images to go with the background I could make it a bit more interesting. But whatev. Also Dypo, care to explain why you got confused :awesome:
Characterization. I really liked the characters, and they all a lot of fun. Jakub constantly struggling to try and be a gentlemen, Fran pulling the child genius card, the always ditzy detective, the prosecutor oozing dangerous amounts of swag, the family of ventriloquists, the list goes on and on. I don’t think I have any characters I don’t like. Maybe some were decent at best, but I didn’t dislike any.
I've been getting so many mixed views on the characters XD but at least it seems that you enjoyed all of them. For most people they enjoyed few, and hated others. But I suppose it all depends on personality.
The music was very nice. It’s been a while and I don’t exactly remember most of it…but from what I remember it fit pretty well. SO YEAH, uh, that’s it…that’s part three—
I could link you to the soundtracks if you want.
PART 4. THE DIALOUGE. Holy crap this dialogue. This dialogue is…well, here is someone who can say it better than me. Based on the amount of time you were given, and based on how much you were able to get done, it should NOT have been a issue to have this many mistakes on a trial. So yes, the dialogue bugged me. Even if the lines were sometimes funny.
*Hides in closet* The amount of time I was given wasn't even enough to finish the trial XD and I'm good at making frames not looking back necessarily and noticing errors... which is something I really shouldn't be so proud about but... yeah. But at least I've got Wolfy fixing my grammar on the Investigation and stuff.

Oh also, you spelled DIALOUGE wrong. It's DIALOGUE :awesome:

Now for the plot. I gotta say, you presented us with a very nice mystery. But, you HAD to resort to using…the locked door gimmick. It’s bad enough when it’s just on one side, but TWO SIDES?! My mind just becomes full of wut. What we get as a result is a mess of insane theories and pointless routes that lead us straight to a dead end. OK, so maybe that’s the POINT of a mystery, and maybe I’m just being an idiot. But I’m just saying that sometimes all the information can come collapsing down into a big mess at a few points. Also, I didn’t find this to be a flaw of the trial, but something that I found kinda odd: Why did you prioritize the bad ending over the good ending? I’d understand if it was short little path, but it was very long. If anything you should’ve focused on the actual, canonical ending before going to the fake one. But like I said, it’s nothing I hated. It just struck me as odd.

Well I wouldn't say that the locked doors was the major part of the mystery. Perhaps a good 1/3 of it. The other 1/3' being the voices and teleporter issue. As for the double sided locked door thingy I totally just based that off real life experience. I live in a room with two locks, exactly like the ones in the game. I wondered how that would affect the mystery and it kind of worked its way from there. I'm sorry if you don't like it. But I'm going to stick with my gut and think that it's a nice touch to the mystery. As for the collapsing of your points, well yeah I kind of wanted you to fell like you had no idea what to do really. I don't know if that's how all mystery novels work that way but meh, I thought it was a good idea.

And I prioritized the bad ending over the good one simply because it was the only ending I finished XD. I wanted to at least give you a legitimate end in stead of one that was halfway done and not even close to being finished and all. I wonder if I finshed the good one first if that would have changed anything.

Anyway, theme conveyance. This was actually handled very well. Nice work sending much farther into the future. It added a new and interesting environment that added new twists not found in most AA cases, which is what I really was looking for. It felt futuristic and all the future stuff worked great. But still…going UP a teleporter?! I mean seriously…A BAT CREDIT CARD?!?!?!
Theme relevance A+YES!
So yeah. A great trial, but just too many big mistakes that are hard to overlook.
Well at least it's good in your eyes. And a lot of others. Some would say I've improved from before(and I know they're lying >_>) but even so I have Wolfy to help me with all that <3
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio