Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Re: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

So I just beat it.
Spoiler : DLC case :
It's pretty good. I was kiiiinda iffy on the whole lolaccident thing, but the killer actually took actions to lead to that accident, so... whatever, it's fine, I guess. It also seems a biiiit lame to pull the thing where you try to make one witness look as suspicious as possible and then not making them the killer, when you already tried pulling that in Case 3. I'll admit I fell for O'Conner, but once they started making Crab look suspicious it was all yeah, I'm not falling for that one again. It almost seemed destined to be with the BP curse, though.

Best of all? That spoiler Blizdi saw fit to disclose amongst the xat didn't even ruin the case that much. Or at least, the part of it I saw didn't.

Speaking of Crab/Gaku, I'm not so sure what you see in him, BP. Another Japanese speech styles thing?

...Oh, and making Phoenix the PC was a terrible idea and completely reinforces one of my primary complaints about DD: There is TOO MUCH of a character who has NOTHING TO CONTRIBUTE. Throwing Pearl back in just makes it worse: You can SEE how crowded things get in the WAA in Day 2. There are too many main characters, and some of them need to go. And it only makes sense to kill off the ones who have exhausted their relevance.

Phoenix, you're up.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

SwagmaWampyr wrote:
Spoiler : DLC case :
Speaking of Crab/Gaku, I'm not so sure what you see in him, BP. Another Japanese speech styles thing?
オレサマの悪口を言いやがるかよ、ニイちゃん?!
Hikari
Spoken languages: English, a few words in Japanese.

Re: Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

Post by Hikari »

kwando1313 wrote:The OST for this game was really underwhelming. There were some great tracks, such as Blackquill's theme and the Pursuit theme, but many tracks, such as Cross Examination ~ Allegro, Great Revival, and Apollo's Objection which just sounded... Uninspired and rather boring. So, for me, the OST was a mixed bag. Many parts of it were great, but just as many parts of it were bad.
Apollo's Objection seemed an improvement to than the DS version.
Maybe because a remix? I just loved the addon guitar that violin in it's climax, gives me goosebumps playing it. :S
T u r n a b o u t i n T i m e G a t e
*coming soon*
(AA and Lost Saga crossover / w TF2 cameos)
mAc Chaos
Spoken languages: English

Post by mAc Chaos »

I was worried about the switch to 3D at first but eventually I didn't even notice it anymore. It was definitely great.

I think part of the reason we find it unsatisfying is that we've become so used to the AA formula, making and playing so many trials here. A lot of the mistakes, so to speak, in DD, feel like stuff somebody would make in their first trial on this site.

DLC case was great. They didn't use Apollo enough though.

And yeah, what I was saying before: usually AA cases tie up figuring out the murderer with proving the client innocent. In AAI and DD, you do them separately and it feels like a chore because you're tying up all these loose ends that don't really matter as far as the drama goes. If anything they should have been done before the climax. Usually in previous AA games, the last ditch effort where you have to prove some final details are the last stand of the guilty and is very short: look at Gant and the whole evidence law thing. It didn't turn into some 3 hour AAI diplomatic immunity fest.

I liked the throwbacks to AJ, but it just makes me want more of it. There was a lot of stuff just left hanging. Phoenix himself was out of character, in a way. He goes from bitter, jaded guy wronged by the justice system to his old chipper self. I still liked him though.

And I don't think Apollo changed at all in this game. It's just that he has more time to shine. All of the same traits are in AJ but everybody was too busy raging over hobo Phoenix to notice.

Also, as far as Phoenix clearing his guilt in forging evidence being something that "saves" the law from the "dark age": that doesn't make sense. Phoenix proves himself innocent, but in his place you have Kristoph who did stuff that was 50 times worse, and he is still a defense attorney. Welp~

On that note, with everyone talking about the dark age of the law, I wish that the game touched more on how Phoenix basically joined all the shady folks and forged his own evidence, that kind of thing. It is just brushed under the rug as if nothing ever happened. Same with him rigging the jury and basically re-engineering the entire system in AJ just for one case.
The wolf knows what the ill heart thinks.
@mAcChaos

BEHOLD, the ULTIMATE CASE: MACFIA, an epic journey through time and space.
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

mAc Chaos wrote:Also, as far as Phoenix clearing his guilt in forging evidence being something that "saves" the law from the "dark age": that doesn't make sense. Phoenix proves himself innocent, but in his place you have Kristoph who did stuff that was 50 times worse, and he is still a defense attorney. Welp~
This is mostly the matter of their reputation. Kristoph was this "The Coolest Defense of the West", and he had some renown, while Phoenix... By the end of T&T, many probably viewed him as almost an embodiment of justice. The thing is, Kristoph being behind these wrongdoings causes less damage. But it still is there, considering the dark age of the law didn't end just yet before DD's finale.
mAc Chaos wrote:On that note, with everyone talking about the dark age of the law, I wish that the game touched more on how Phoenix basically joined all the shady folks and forged his own evidence, that kind of thing. It is just brushed under the rug as if nothing ever happened. Same with him rigging the jury and basically re-engineering the entire system in AJ just for one case.
We heavily discussed that in the CR thread, at the DD section ^^; Or, users there discussed that, after I created the thread.
mAc Chaos

Post by mAc Chaos »

I checked itout.

I was replaying AJ last night; the final court scene with Kristoph. I noticed they basically dash through a whole bunch of back and forth that could have all been presents. Alas.
The wolf knows what the ill heart thinks.
@mAcChaos

BEHOLD, the ULTIMATE CASE: MACFIA, an epic journey through time and space.
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

Hmm, I believe I started all out with Past, with everything from Past I needed to progress, then changed to future to pick what I need, finished unsolved parts of Past and then all Present.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Spoiler : AADD-5 :
I never really got this Dark Age of the Law thing. It existed long before Phoenix and Blackquill due to von Karma and so on. I don't think the writing really pulled off justifying how two isolated incidents could spark mass evidence-forging and corruption.
Anyway, I finished playing all the cases a couple of days ago. I loved it and thought the final battle was brilliant, no matter what you all think. :P

Also, now that the game has been out for a while, we'll have to think about removing the spoiler rules soon.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Meph, the spoiler rules have been removed for a while. They expired one month after release.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

That's one thing we all agree on: The whole dark age of the law thing was handled terribly. It's like the writers completely forgot they were supposed to go somewhere with it.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Meph wrote:I loved it and thought the final battle was brilliant, no matter what you all think. :P
Well, it was just a watered down version of the GK2 final battle (with the plot of 1-5 and a dash of 2-4 thrown in)
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

I don't get the GK2 analogy, not to defend GS5.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Meph

Post by Meph »

kwando1313 wrote:...

Meph, the spoiler rules have been removed for a while. They expired one month after release.
Usually me or one of the mods would edit the rules thread to make it official though. :P I've been too busy at university for the past three months to visit AAO, so I'm not aware of the current situation, but I've brought it up with the staff.

Also, forgot to say that Dr Crab is awesome.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Meph wrote:Also, forgot to say that Dr Crab is awesome.
yes
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »